ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Relaxing in Sweden - April 1965
© IBL with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: any John Mayer fans out there? Return to archive
17th September 2007 08:52 AM
jostorm I'm catching him tomorrow at the Royal Albert Hall in London and am quite looking forward to it.....Has anyone of you ever seen him live?
17th September 2007 08:54 AM
mojoman i almost saw him warm up for the stones...but i was late
17th September 2007 11:21 AM
Saint Sway "Any John Mayer fans out there?"

YES!
v Wolfie
17th September 2007 12:04 PM
Mr Jurkka Sorry, your looking from wrong message board.
17th September 2007 12:12 PM
Fiji Joe My body is a wonderland....

17th September 2007 01:13 PM
gypsy
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
My body is a wonderland....

I knew I'd find you here. Fag.
17th September 2007 01:14 PM
Factory Girl no.
17th September 2007 01:27 PM
texile
quote:
Mr Jurkka wrote:
Sorry, your looking from wrong message board.

speak for yourself.
i like mayer -
music is music - and what i like i like... period.
he's a great, graceful and melodic guitarist who wears his love for the blues on his sleeve and a great songwriter in the vein of a paul simon.
'bad-ass rock and roll' people tend to stereotype and compartmentalize music and its fans.
if mayer can gain the respect of people like clapton, paul simon, bb king or buddy guy - that speaks for itself.
like live, i prefer the trio -
like most great guitar technicians, (like m. taylor) mayer tends to get indulgent without somebody to rein him in...
but its a great show.

17th September 2007 02:20 PM
Barney Fife
quote:
jostorm wrote:
I'm catching him tomorrow at the Royal Albert Hall in London and am quite looking forward to it.....Has anyone of you ever seen him live?

I saw him get his ass totally kicked by Jimmie Vaughan, BB King and Buddy Guy at the Cotton Bowl in June of '04. Clapton didn't kick John's ass, however.
17th September 2007 03:35 PM
jb I saw him open somewhere for the Stones and he was pretty good...if I had not heard all his pop stuff( which I imagine his record company demands he play), I would have thought he was pretty decent blues player...
17th September 2007 03:42 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
jb wrote:
I saw him open somewhere for the Stones and he was pretty good...if I had not heard all his pop stuff( which I imagine his record company demands he play), I would have thought he was pretty decent blues player...

He's more than a pretty decent blues player. Mayer's problem is that I think he genuinely likes the lightweight pop stuff.
17th September 2007 03:44 PM
jb
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

He's more than a pretty decent blues player. Mayer's problem is that I think he genuinely likes the lightweight pop stuff.

Maybe..but maybe he needs to write that drivel to keep the label ....I don't recall the venue, but he played some killer blues...seemed to be enjoying himself.
17th September 2007 03:49 PM
Joey " Has anyone of you ever seen him live? "

< ---- No .

FRIG No !!!!

[cc:ss]

[Edited by Joey]
17th September 2007 03:55 PM
Starbuck mayer is just north of the eagles when it comes to sucktitude. my GOD...what i've heard of john mayer makes me want to claw my ears out.

REM is better. that tells you something.

jojo...please pop in exile immediately and be cleansed.
17th September 2007 03:58 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
jb wrote:

Maybe..but maybe he needs to write that drivel to keep the label ....I don't recall the venue, but he played some killer blues...seemed to be enjoying himself.

He opened in D.C. '05. That's probably where you saw him. I didn't make it in time.
17th September 2007 06:19 PM
fireontheplatter he is a talanted guitar player i think...but i have a problem with his voice.
i do believe the girls are partial to him tho.

but, to answer the question. no i am not much of a fan.
17th September 2007 06:54 PM
lotsajizz how ghey
17th September 2007 07:03 PM
texile
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
mayer is just north of the eagles when it comes to sucktitude.
jojo...please pop in exile immediately and be cleansed.

but that's just silly starbuck...
i love exile and appreciate mayer -
what does that prove?
that i like mayer and the stones...that's all.
i outgrew evaluating music on whether the cool people listened to it or not in high school.
what's really funny is that, recently, thurston moore of sonic youth oh-so-painfully-pretentiously sniffed at the thought of mayer -
but mayer was invited by neil young (the coolest rocker ever) to play at his annual bridge benefit...
slightly off-subject - moore also said yoko ono had more edge as a performer...
i watched the rock and roll circus on pbs this weekend -
watching yoko with the dirty mac is painful -
i just don't get it.
i guess i'm just a simpleton.

17th September 2007 07:27 PM
mrhipfl I love John Mayer. He's a great guitarist, but I'd only pay to see him with his blues band, not his solo stuff. His solo stuff's too poppy for me, but the trio rocks.
17th September 2007 07:41 PM
yellerstang He ripped "Gravity" on Letterman last Spring. Incredible solos....especially the end. Sounds just like clapton at his best....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W_UJWrcGPc
17th September 2007 07:52 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle John Mayer Trio opened for the Stones in Philly 05.

Wasn't expecting much in light of his pop radio tunes, but he, Pino Palladino and Steve Jordan delivered a solid set of blues, inclding a smoking version of Jimi's Wait Until Tomorrow.
18th September 2007 09:38 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
texile wrote:

what's really funny is that, recently, thurston moore of sonic youth oh-so-painfully-pretentiously sniffed at the thought of mayer -

I think I read that interview, too. Moore talked about how, in high school, the kids who thought they knew a lot about music were into bands like the Allman Bros., whereas he, the connoisseur, was into the alternative stuff. When asked what music he liked, he'd reply, "theatrical rock." I hope one of his classmates socked him in the face.
18th September 2007 09:42 AM
Mel Belli Here's the exact quote:

"The most rock-star thing I did at fourteen would have been defining myself in the school cafeteria. Some kids were obviously into rock music and they made a big deal out of it. They were into Yes and the Allman Brothers. But I was really getting into Alice Cooper, David Bowie, Sparks and Roxy Music. And they thought I was into rock music so I sort of knew what I was talking about sometimes. The fact was I knew a million times more than any of those kids knew about any of those bands from Zeppelin to the Beatles. I knew it all and I was a fucking egghead about it. They’d ask me what kind of music I liked. I would say, “I really like theater rock.” And they just looked at me like I was the spawn of all that is wrong with music. I think that was a rock-star thing to do in a way, just kind of divorcing myself from the cattle."

My God.
18th September 2007 11:10 AM
Joey

I am officially leaving the board .
18th September 2007 11:41 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Joey wrote:

I am officially leaving the board .

LOL....Can we have that in writing?
18th September 2007 12:03 PM
WinslowStud
quote:
LOL....Can we have that in writing?

gimmekeef...you are ON FIRE! [en fuego]

that's what we in the hills of nebraska running around with our stick balls lodged in our rectums used to call "postin".

Winslow, as seen on the reality tv show Postin.
18th September 2007 02:22 PM
texile
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Here's the exact quote:

"The most rock-star thing I did at fourteen would have been defining myself in the school cafeteria. Some kids were obviously into rock music and they made a big deal out of it. They were into Yes and the Allman Brothers. But I was really getting into Alice Cooper, David Bowie, Sparks and Roxy Music. And they thought I was into rock music so I sort of knew what I was talking about sometimes. The fact was I knew a million times more than any of those kids knew about any of those bands from Zeppelin to the Beatles. I knew it all and I was a fucking egghead about it. They’d ask me what kind of music I liked. I would say, “I really like theater rock.” And they just looked at me like I was the spawn of all that is wrong with music. I think that was a rock-star thing to do in a way, just kind of divorcing myself from the cattle."

My God.

this is what happens when you grow up in a musical vacuum....where artistic pretention is a high priority.
and this is why i am suspicious of groups like sonic youth -
i was into them in the early 90s - because they were different and interesting.
but im turned off by the elitism (which they misinterpret as rebellious or 'rock and roll')
i was like that too when i was young but i outgrew it...
it's narrow-minded and ignorant - just like the kids moore was chastising.
these people become what they disdain.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)