ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Relaxing in Sweden - April 1965
© IBL with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Johnny Winter Plays Birchmere in Sweet VA tonight 9/14/07 Return to archive
14th September 2007 07:35 AM
Factory Girl

http://johnnywinter.net/welcome/

Please check out this guitar legend if you are able to!
14th September 2007 09:12 AM
gimmekeef He always puts on a great show...Saw em about 8 times over the years.In his hey days in 70's he sold out arenas...
14th September 2007 08:55 PM
TomL fuck FG wish i would of known.
15th September 2007 04:18 AM
albert Really would like to go to a Johnny Winter show!!

gr,
Albert
Holland
15th September 2007 05:31 AM
Ten Thousand Motels INTERVIEW- White in:
Johnny Winter on surviving problems
by VIJITH ASSAR, published September 6, 2007
ReadtheHook.com

Winter hails from the same musical stew-pot that produced Rick Derringer's "Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo" and younger brother Edgar's immortal Jock Jam/SUV commercial anthem "Frankenstein." The elder Winter's calling was blues guitar, though, and enough praise was lavished on him by a fledgling Rolling Stone to set off a label bidding war. He signed a legendary six-figure deal with Columbia-- in 1969.

Nearly 40 years later, Winter has been worn by the same record industry, and in particular by suspected abuse at the hands of his former manager. Nobody knows for sure, since the guy is now dead, and Winter was too drugged up all along to make sense of anything.

After weathering a number of health problems-- he was reportedly down to 90 pounds at one point-- Winter bounced back with the Grammy-nominated I'm A Bluesman, the title track of which is based on the trials and tribulations of his own life. Nevertheless, there's likely plenty left for future recordings. After all, it's hard enough to get by as a white blues musician; making it as an albino is an accomplishment of epic proportions.

The Hook: How important was your relationship with Edgar in shaping your musical direction?

Johnny Winter: He didn't have any effect on it at all. He was younger than I was.

The Hook: Then do you think you influenced him?

Johnny Winter: Yeah, I think I did. He didn't like straight blues as much as I did; he liked more jazz. I tried to get him into the blues thing. It worked a little-- he can play some blues. But then, he can play anything.

The Hook: Would you have been a musician without him, or he without you?

Johnny Winter: Yeah, sure I would, and I think he would have. Both of us love music.

The Hook: It's sort of disappointing that you weren't jamming in your bedroom until 3am, though.

Johnny Winter: No, but we did play together.

The Hook: You also played with some cool folks at Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival back in July.

Johnny Winter: It was great-- I played the first time with the Derek Trucks Band, and the second time I played with Buddy Guy. There were a lot of people there-- B.B., Hubert Sumlin, Los Lobos from California... I got to see a lot of people.

The Hook: Have you done similar festivals in the past?

Johnny Winter: No. It was one of the coolest things I've ever done. There were just so many good guitar players in one place.

The Hook: And this is coming from someone who used to play with Jimi.

Johnny Winter: I enjoyed playing with Jimi a lot. I was a real big fan.

The Hook: How did he affect your playing?

Johnny Winter: He had no impact; I just played my own way. I didn't try to play like him.

The Hook: Wow. So would you say you're resistant to influences?

Johnny Winter: No, I wouldn't. People influenced me, but I pretty much had my own style by the time I met Jimi.

The Hook: So is that more important earlier in life, then?

Johnny Winter: Yeah. Muddy Waters definitely influenced me. I listened to him early.

The Hook: How have your health issues affected your guitar playing career?

Johnny Winter: I have Carpal Tunnel, and that really messed me up. I couldn't play for eight months. It was horrible. It's a long time, to come back from that.

The Hook: Did you pass the time working on other musical projects?

Johnny Winter: No, I didn't do anything. I was just completely screwed there for a while. I watched a lot of TV, going crazy.

The Hook: And you had to play seated for a while.

Johnny Winter: I still do. It's choice, though-- I think I play better sitting down.

The Hook: Did it affect you artistically? Do you write about it?

Johnny Winter: Yeah, I do. Having problems makes you try that much harder.
15th September 2007 05:42 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Is the Live Album a Thing of the Past?
And did Johnny Winter make the best one ever?
http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=0e698b12-fdcb-4848-b18e-2c579de0b54a
15th September 2007 10:57 AM
MRD8 I got a GREAT DVD of him on Rockpalast earlier this year...he looks worse than Keith(if you can believe that!) Also got DVD's of the same show by Edgar and Derringer...they join Johnny for Highway 61 Revisted, Johnny Guitar and a SMOKIN' version of It's All Over Now!
15th September 2007 11:46 AM
guitarman53 "Johnny Winter And Live" was one of the great live albums, this is Mean Town Blues from Woodstock.
16th September 2007 12:34 AM
mojoman
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
"Johnny Winter And Live" was one of the great live albums, this is Mean Town Blues from Woodstock.

its amazing all the great stuff that didnt make the final cut of woodstock. johnny winter, the band, ccr, the dead, janis, the airplane........
16th September 2007 12:53 AM
nankerphelge okay, so I am responsible for checking the local schedules
I understand that.
But a little heads up would have helped.
Dammit!
17th September 2007 06:34 AM
Factory Girl I saw Johnny Winter at the State Theatre (Falls Church, Sweet VA) a few years back, and Edgar Winter with Rick Derringer on my b-day at Jaxx (Sweet VA.)

Johhny Winter is one of my favorite guitarists ever...

He should be inducted into RRHF

Rock & Roll Hoochie Koo!
[Edited by Factory Girl]
17th September 2007 12:16 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
"Johnny Winter And Live" was one of the great live albums, this is Mean Town Blues from Woodstock.

Great tune ... Black Crowes just started playing that one this year.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)