ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Relaxing in Sweden - April 1965
© IBL with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: LED ZEPPELIN GIG ssc Return to archive Page: 1 2
12th September 2007 04:00 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Nope....the insider talk is that they'll tour in 2008. Only two of them toured as Page/Plant....if they were to specifically announce a tour as "Led Zeppelin" in all honesty they could probably name their price. Their fanbase is huge - that, plus the fact that - aside from a brief European tour in 1980 - they havent toured since 1977, means they have two generations who havent seen them. Can you imagine the thirst for a Stones tour if they hadnt toured for that long?

"Ability" doesnt come into it. Marketability and whether they're committed enough does. Some could argue the Stones dont have the 'ability' to play 147 shows. They still did it, though.

This obsession with how much money other bands make or how many records they sell is infantile. Interesting that its only for the likes of The Beatles, Zeppelin or U2 though. I hear Styx are reforming. I wonder why no one's obsessive about that!
[Edited by Gazza]

I think you're both right: They could name their price - and they'd be disastrous.
12th September 2007 04:02 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
We'll lets hope not.

I personally dont care. How much the Stones or any other act makes is of no relevance to me - other than the band's decision to make it such a high priority affects every other facet of their existence as a live band in a negative way, be it the sort of setlists they choose, the amount they charge to see them and the sort of audience they aim to attract.
12th September 2007 04:04 PM
Gazza
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

I think you're both right: They could name their price - and they'd be disastrous.

True - personally I find the idea of a band reuniting after three decades to play just old material to be farcical and not really that exciting.
12th September 2007 04:14 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:

No....but Townsend is a nice addition.

Josh ............................

I would like to nuzzle you .

Happy Rosh Hashanah tomorrow :

Rosh Hashanah (Hebrew: ראש השנה, Biblical: ˈɾoʃ haʃ:ɔˈnɔh, Israeli: ˈroʃ haʃaˈna, Yiddish: ˈroʊʃ hɑˈʃɔnə is literally translated as "head of the year", and idiomatically refers to the Jewish New Year. The term first appears in the Tanakh, in Ezekiel 40:1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosh_Hashanah

12th September 2007 04:17 PM
Mel Belli I'd pay 35 bucks, tops, to see this:

12th September 2007 04:20 PM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:

Josh ............................

I would like to nuzzle you .

Happy Rosh Hashanah tomorrow :

Rosh Hashanah (Hebrew: ראש השנה, Biblical: ˈɾoʃ haʃ:ɔˈnɔh, Israeli: ˈroʃ haʃaˈna, Yiddish: ˈroʊʃ hɑˈʃɔnə is literally translated as "head of the year", and idiomatically refers to the Jewish New Year. The term first appears in the Tanakh, in Ezekiel 40:1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosh_Hashanah

Thanks for remembering...Happy New Year!!!
12th September 2007 04:35 PM
Dan
quote:
I hear Styx are reforming. I wonder why no one's obsessive about that!

Because when you are at the bottom of the bill on a Def Leppard package tour, no one even notices.
12th September 2007 05:08 PM
mojoman
quote:
Gazza wrote:

In fairness, every day I see even more people with 'retro' Stones t-shirts....and in my experience they rarely turn out to have much or any interest in the band.

very true gazza its fashion. the average wearer of the stones garb probably skews hotter(see paris). i also saw a cbgb/omfug shirt on a six year old this morning. though here in the states with a no quarter century of classic rock subduing the airways with zep hours daily the young surely are more cognizant of zeps material despite the fact the last time zep were to tour was announced to go onsale on these shores was 27 years ago this month.........
13th September 2007 07:17 AM
Gazza 'Millions' rush for Zeppelin gig

The surviving band members have not played together for 19 years

An estimated 20 million people rushed to register for tickets to see Led Zeppelin as soon as the band announced their reunion, promoters have said.

The remaining members of the legendary rock group will play a one-off show at the 20,000-capacity O2 arena in London on 26 November, they said on Wednesday.

The concert's website has struggled to cope with demand, and organisers have asked fans to be patient.

Registration for the £125 tickets closes at midday BST on Monday.

Tickets for the show will be allocated by public ballot - a move promoter Harvey Goldsmith hopes will deter touts.

Fans warned

"We just hope and pray that those people who get a ticket in a ballot are just going to act accordingly," he said

Goldsmith also warned fans who turned to internet auction sites like eBay or other unauthorised sources that they would have their tickets cancelled.

"They might have paid the money but they ain't going to get the ticket," he said.

Led Zeppelin were one of the most popular and influential rock acts of the 1970s, setting the template for heavy metal and shocking the press with their debauched lifestyle.

Best known for songs like Stairway to Heaven, Whole Lotta Love and Kashmir, they sold more than 300 million albums around the world.

They split in 1980 after drummer John Bonham died, and have only regrouped for a handful of shows and award ceremonies since.

Bonham's son Jason will join the three remaining members - singer Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page and bassist John Paul Jones - for the forthcoming concert.

It is being held in tribute to music mogul Ahmet Ertegun, who co-founded Atlantic Records and signed Led Zeppelin in 1968. He died in 2006 after a fall at a Rolling Stones concert.

Other acts lined up for the show include Pete Townshend, Bill Wyman And The Rhythm Kings, Paolo Nutini and Foreigner.

The idea for the tribute show came from his widow, according to Goldsmith, who then set about persuading Led Zeppelin to headline.

"I wrote to everybody and in particular to Robert and Jimmy and John Paul, and said: 'Look this is an opportunity for you to come together and really pay homage to your mentor and mine, and would you do it?'

"Much to my amazement they came back and said yes," he said.

According to the NME, Goldsmith said the band "have no plans to tour but hopes they will".

Profits from the concert will go towards scholarships in Ertegun's name in UK, the USA and Turkey, the country of his birth.

www.bbc.co.uk
[Edited by Gazza]
13th September 2007 07:35 AM
Ade still cannot register, 20 + hours
after 'registration' opened.

ridiculous.
13th September 2007 08:11 AM
Honky Tonk Man I'll be on holiday!!!

13th September 2007 10:23 AM
gustavobala well, i like it!

itá a shame how much will cost, but well, they can do a free show....LOl
13th September 2007 10:37 AM
Gazza
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
well, i like it!

itá a shame how much will cost,

Its a charity show
13th September 2007 11:52 AM
mark Anybody care to venture a guess as to how much performance time the bands will be alloted?
13th September 2007 11:54 AM
Gazza I think one of the press releases suggested Zeppelin are expected to perform for a couple of hours.

So, thats about 3 songs then....

With, what, 4 acts on the bill before them plus the fact that on a Sunday the 02 has a 10.30 curfew, that would appear unlikely unless its an all day event.
[Edited by Gazza]
13th September 2007 12:07 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Its a charity show

Sadly , I am unable to leave Nebraska at this particular juncture in time

www.QWESTCENTER.com

14th September 2007 08:41 AM
Mr Jurkka Tour dates?? Europe perhaps?
14th September 2007 08:59 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I think one of the press releases suggested Zeppelin are expected to perform for a couple of hours.

So, thats about 3 songs then....

14th September 2007 11:27 AM
gustavobala
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Its a charity show

ok....cool!

jagger appears?
14th September 2007 11:38 AM
Gazza despite the speculation by some, I somehow cant see Mick making a guest appearance with Bill Wyman's band who are, what, bottom of a 5-band bill at a Led Zeppelin reunion? Its not like they even play the same sort of music.

Even if Mick were to arrive onstage on horseback wearing nothing but a tutu, I doubt it would get a mention on this occasion.
14th September 2007 11:39 AM
Gazza
quote:
Mr Jurkka wrote:
Tour dates?? Europe perhaps?

strong speculation for a tour next year if this goes off OK.
14th September 2007 11:47 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

strong speculation for a tour next year if this goes off OK.

With #'s like that, even if slightly exaggerated, the $ is simply too big to pass... I think the Stones played to over 5 million in 89 or 94?, but based on the demand for this gig, LZ could break every conceivable record. I still do not think they will play as many shows as the Stones or if they care to. Interestingly, despite their huge album sales, neither Page nor Plant appear in the wealthiest English musician polls that I have seen?
14th September 2007 11:53 AM
ShaneJazz Sources say that Mick is going to play Charmed Life with Bill. Perhaps he couldn't find any other bass player to play on it?
14th September 2007 12:00 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

With #'s like that, even if slightly exaggerated, the $ is simply too big to pass... I think the Stones played to over 5 million in 89 or 94?,

I believe the Voodoo Lounge tour was the biggest attended tour. Steel Wheels had maybe 20-30 shows fewer although it was all stadiums (115 shows)

The thing is, though, theyve been offered absolute fortunes before to tour and have refused to do so. If youre worth about $100 million or so, then whether youre offered $20 million each or $30 million each isnt really going to make much difference! Maybe they just think that theyre not getting any younger and they may as well do it before they get TOO old to do so

quote:
jb wrote:

but based on the demand for this gig, LZ could break every conceivable record. I still do not think they will play as many shows as the Stones or if they care to.

Me neither. I'm not sure what the 20 million figure refers to, though. It could simply mean the number of hits on the website in the first 24 hours. The site was down pretty much all day so obviously a lot of people were attempting to access it repeatedly

quote:
jb wrote:
Interestingly, despite their huge album sales, neither Page nor Plant appear in the wealthiest English musician polls that I have seen?

They are, actually. The Sunday Times list comes out in April each year so it should be in the archives from around that time.

They're not as rich as Mick and Keith though for two reasons. The bulk of the Stones' income has been amassed since 1989 due to the amount of money theyve made through touring and the financial spin offs from that (merchandising, etc) - whereas Zeppelin havent worked since 1980, last toured the US in 1977 and last made a record in 1979. For the most part, what work theyve done has been (by choice) somewhat low key. The music industry has changed beyond all recognition since they last toured and the amount of profits band make now has absolutely skyrocketed.

Secondly, a lot of the Stones wealth has been down to very shrewd tax moves with a lot of their money and investments tied up in overseas accounts which has meant that they pay practically no income tax.

[Edited by Gazza]
14th September 2007 12:04 PM
Saint Sway Bonzo's kid sucks so bad that Foreigner fans complain about him.

this is the right - and ONLY - guy for the gig:

Steve Gorman ~ The Black Crowes

the UNDISPUTABLE proof is right here:

[Edited by Saint Sway]
14th September 2007 12:37 PM
mojoman
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Bonzo's kid sucks so bad that Foreigner fans complain about him.

this is the right - and ONLY - guy for the gig:

Steve Gorman ~ The Black Crowes

the UNDISPUTABLE proof is right here:

[Edited by Saint Sway]

wolfie was hoping to land john paul jones spot.....
14th September 2007 12:37 PM
Mel Belli "Led Zeppelin" is gonna suck.
14th September 2007 01:03 PM
Tom Jagger not to join Wyman onstage at 'Led Zeppelin' concert
From our ANI Correspondent

London, September 14: Rock star Mick Jagger's camp has denied that he will be joining former 'Rolling Stones' bassist Bill Wyman onstage at the 'Led Zeppelin' reunion concert on 26 November.

The show will take place at O2 Arena in London. Its promoter Harvey Goldsmith had sparked speculations that Jagger and Wyman could share the stage at the one-off show by saying that the door was "always open".

But a source from Jagger's camp has now clarified that the star wants the show purely to be a 'Led Zeppelin' gig.

"The band want the show to be just about Led Zep and nothing to do with the Stones," the Mirror quoted the source as saying.

The concert is being staged in honour of Atlantic Records' boss Ahmet Ertegun, and rumours began spreading because the 'Rolling Stones' are signed to record label in the US.

Footage of Jagger behind goldsmith at the launch also fanned the speculations.
15th September 2007 04:51 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:

With #'s like that, even if slightly exaggerated, the $ is simply too big to pass... I think the Stones played to over 5 million in 89 or 94?, but based on the demand for this gig, LZ could break every conceivable record. I still do not think they will play as many shows as the Stones or if they care to. Interestingly, despite their huge album sales, neither Page nor Plant appear in the wealthiest English musician polls that I have seen?

Out of all the icons of the 1960's , Pete Townshend is the least wealthiest . However , this might have changed in the last couple of years Thanks to Michael Cohl ( ...a Canadian Jew ) .

J. Fly ! ™
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)