ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Relaxing in Sweden - April 1965
© IBL with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: LED ZEPPELIN GIG ssc Return to archive Page: 1 2
12th September 2007 11:09 AM
Stray Cat UK From IORR.

Tickets for 26th Nov. o2 gig are to be by ballot. Register now for 1st October draw. £125 ALL TICKETS. Maximum 2 per person / household.

Led Zepplin
Bill Wyman's R K s
Pete Townshend
Paolo Nutini

WOW !

www.ahmettribute.com

SC UK
[Edited by Stray Cat UK]
12th September 2007 11:17 AM
BONOISLOVE I'm so excited, I don't care!
12th September 2007 12:10 PM
mojoman the site crashed like the hindenburg..........
12th September 2007 12:12 PM
Gazza Link doesnt work, mate...?
12th September 2007 12:14 PM
Stray Cat UK It worked earlier. I used it to register. It must be the 500 million others trying to log on !

sc uk
12th September 2007 12:27 PM
Gazza Yeah, maybe its crashed...LOL

A lottery maybe is a sensible way of handling tickets for this..you can imagine the demand and the number of tickets which could potentially be siphoned off...

Anyway, here's the article from Drowned In Sound :

Led Zeppelin reformation show: 100% confirmed

Breaking news: the rumoured Led Zeppelin reformation show, pencilled in for November 26 2007 at London’s O2, is now confirmed.

The band is to appear at a tribute show to Ahmet Ertegun. Who he? Ertegun founded Atlantic Records in 1947. A mentor to Led Zeppelin and many other acts, Ertegun’s own fund – the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund – will benefit from the November show’s proceeds. The fund provides students with annual scholarships to universities in the UK, USA and Turkey. Additionally, after the event a new scholarship for aspiring musicians will be created at Ravensbourne College, here in the UK.

Led Zeppelin will headline a bill including Foreigner, Paulo Nutini (the final artist Ertegun worked with in his 60-year career), Pete Townshend, and Bill Wyman and the Rhythm Kings. The hard-rocking four-piece – pictured in their heyday – will be made up of original members Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones, with late drummer John Bonham’s son, Jason, manning the kit.

Tickets for this Harvey Goldsmith-promoted show are a cool £125 a pop, with fans needing to sign up for them via a special website. Click here to visit the Ahmet Tribute website. Tickets will be allocated on a ballot basis due to the expected demand, and this is the only place they are available. Two tickets per household.

Robert Plant said of Ertegun, who died last year:

“During the Zeppelin years, Ahmet Ertegun was a major foundation of solidarity and accord. For us he WAS Atlantic Records and remained a close friend and conspirator - this performance stands alone as our tribute to the work and the life of our long standing friend.”

12th September 2007 12:41 PM
jb Great..now we can hear how LZ blew away the Stones a million times .....LZ=boring, old, juvenile.
12th September 2007 12:51 PM
Dan
quote:
jb wrote:
Great..now we can hear how LZ blew away the Stones a million times

Are they playing on the same bill?
12th September 2007 12:52 PM
jb
quote:
Dan wrote:

Are they playing on the same bill?

No....but Townsend is a nice addition.
12th September 2007 12:53 PM
LadyJane
quote:
jb wrote:
Great..now we can hear how LZ blew away the Stones a million times .....LZ=boring, old, juvenile.

Relax, my friend.
You cannot let this stuff get to you.

All that matters is the WE know who the greatest Rock N Roll band IS, WAS and WILL EVER BE.

Plant's voice, to me, is akin to nails on a chalkboard!! Shiver.

LJ.
12th September 2007 12:56 PM
Moonisup
quote:
jb wrote:
Great..now we can hear how LZ blew away the Stones a million times .....LZ=boring, old, juvenile.

I missed u
12th September 2007 12:59 PM
jb Very true LJ....also notice how the press fawns all of LZ while constantly knocking "those wrinkly rockers". LZ was smart to disband when t hey did as it made they legacy enormously more popular. I'll give 'em they due in heavy metal as no one can come close, but they are not in the same class as the Stones on any level....
[Edited by jb]
12th September 2007 01:00 PM
jb
quote:
Moonisup wrote:

I missed u

Hello Rik!!!! How were the Dutch show(s) this time around?
12th September 2007 01:03 PM
Moonisup
quote:
jb wrote:

Hello Rik!!!! How were the Dutch show(s) this time around?

mediocore, at best. Keith has definitley, lost his touch
12th September 2007 01:23 PM
Olompali
quote:
jb wrote:
Very LJ....also notice how the press fawns all of LZ while constantly knocking "those wrinkly rockers". LZ was smart to disband when t hey did as it made they legacy enormously more popular.

Mick and Keith laugh as they count the $billions$ grossed since ABB.
Though the Stones get way too much grief and ribbing over their age..most of the press usually concludes that they still kick ass.
Love LZ but they are no comparison to The Rolling Stones.
12th September 2007 01:39 PM
Dan Legacy means nothing when it comes to getting paid in the here and now. Legacy is in the eye of the beholder and is not recognized as legal tender.
12th September 2007 02:55 PM
polytoxic Here's the press release just arrived on my desk:

TRIBUTE TO AHMET ERTEGUN
NOVEMBER 26, 2007
O2 ARENA, LONDON

Harvey Goldsmith Announces A Tribute Concert To The Late Ahmet Ertegun In Aid Of The Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund

(London, September 12, 2007) - One of the most eagerly awaited concerts of the decade will celebrate the life and work of Ahmet Ertegun, founder of Atlantic Records and much missed mentor to some of the greatest names in music.

Profits from this amazing show will go to the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund which provides students with annual scholarships to universities in the UK, USA and Turkey.

In addition, a music scholarship open to all will be established at Ravensbourne College in the UK.

The incomparable Led Zeppelin will headline the tribute to the man who founded Atlantic Records in 1947.

Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones will be joined by Jason Bonham, the son of their late drummer John Bonham.

In addition, Pete Townshend, Bill Wyman and the Rhythm Kings, Foreigner and Paolo Nutini, all touched by Ertegun's guiding hand over the years, will play on the night. Paolo was the final British artist that Ahmet mentored.

It will be a tribute from UK artists that Ertegun worked with in a 60 year career.

Tickets - £125

Due to the anticipated overwhelming demand for this concert, tickets will be available by ballot only.

Fans should register their names at www.ahmettribute.com

Names will then be chosen at random. There will be seating and standing tickets and fans will be able to express a preference at the website.

Due the expected unprecedented demand, tickets will be limited to 2 per successful applicants per household.

Note to Editors:
Tickets will not be available from any other source. Please do not take adverts or publicise any company who claims to have tickets. They will not be given any. Please advise the public not the purchase tickets from any unscrupulous source.

Tributes to Ahmet

Mica Ertegun, Ahmet's wife and president of The Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund, commented: "Ahmet attributed his success to his excellent education, and his ability to recognize innovative artists that touched us all. It was his wish to endow music and liberal Arts scholarships that would enable gifted children to reach their highest creative potential. The Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund was founded with that goal. He would be very proud that Led Zeppelin have chosen to re-unite and headline a benefit concert in his name featuring so many of his friends. I would like to thank all of the artists for their generous contribution to help make Ahmet's vision a reality."

Robert Plant, Led Zeppelin: "During the Zeppelin years, Ahmet Ertegun was a major foundation of solidarity and accord. For us he WAS Atlantic Records and remained a close friend and conspirator - this performance stands alone as our tribute to the work and the life of our long standing friend."

Mick Jones, Foreigner: "Ahmet's combination of charm, humour, irreverence and above all his great passion for music made getting to know him one of the brightest highlights of my life."

Paolo Nutini: "Meeting Ahmet Ertegun in New York 2 years ago was a complete honour. He touched my life with his amazing personality and opened a few doors when I was starting my career. He even invited me to sing with Ben E King and Robert Plant at Montreux last year as part of a celebration of his musical life. He was a special guy, a real gentleman and it's such a shame he's gone but a massive tribute that all his music lives on - and will do forever. God bless Ahmet."

Harvey Goldsmith CBE: "Ahmet introduced me to America when I first started promoting. He became a friend and was my mentor. Our Industry deeply misses such a giant of music. It is a fitting tribute that these great artists have all come together to perform in his memory. The proceeds of the evening will go to The Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund for student scholarships. One of these scholarships will be for a music student in the UK each year."

Bill Curbishley, Trinifold management: "To have had Ahmet regard me as one of his close friends over the past 40 yrs was indeed a rare privilege. To be involved in setting up this event, plus a music trust in his name and in his spirit is also a great honour and privilege for me."

Ahmet Ertegun:

Born in Istanbul, Turkey, in 1923, Ertegun was the son of America's Turkish Ambassador. At 9 years old he was attending gigs in Washington DC featuring jazz greats including Duke Ellington and Cab Calloway. Inspired by what he saw, Ertegun and his brother Nesuhi began to stage their own concerts hosting artists such as Lester Young. In 1947, he formed Atlantic Records with friend Herb Abramson in New York, an independent record label for gospel, jazz and R&B music.

During the 50's and 60's Atlantic grew, signing the likes of Ray Charles, Solomon Burke, Aretha Franklin and The Drifters, patenting the blueprint of soul music. After successfully and uniquely combining blues and soul music from around the world, Atlantic became the definitive rhythm and blues label, paying performers fairly and producing high quality records. Ertegun, as always, was hands on in business and in the studio.

In 1968, Ahmet Ertegun made the magical move into rock by signing Led Zeppelin guiding them through a phenomenal career. In addition, he signed the monsters of 1970s British rock - from the Rolling Stones, through Cream and Genesis.

Ertegun was also the founder and chairman of The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, to which he was elected in 1987 for his pioneering contributions to popular music.

His most recent signing was UK artist Paolo Nutini whose 2006 debut album 'These Streets' reached number 3 in the UK Album Charts.

Ahmet Ertegun sadly died last year aged 83.

Led Zeppelin:

Led Zeppelin are simply the ultimate rock band.

They produced some of the greatest albums in recording history and are constantly considered amongst the greatest popular musicians of all time, both collectively and individually.

The band formed in 1968, from the ashes of The Yardbirds. When those R&B crusaders disbanded, guitarist Jimmy Page brought in Robert Plant, John Bonham and John Paul Jones and toured as The New Yardbirds.

In 1969, their self-titled debut was released and is regarded as one of the pivotal records in the creation of heavy rock.

Led Zeppelin went on to become the colossal rock icons that we know today, setting new records along the way for fan attendance at their massive gigs, with one of the most memorable at Knebworth in 1979.

They have sold over 300 million albums worldwide and, in 1995, the band were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame joining their mentor Ahmet Ertegun.

Led Zeppelin Catalogue:
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin III
Led Zeppelin (Untitled)
Houses Of the Holy
Physical Graffiti
Presence
The Song Remains The Same
In Through The Out Door
Coda

Box Set/Remasters
Led Zeppelin ­ Profiled
Box Set II
Complete Studio Recordings
Led Zeppelin ­ BBC Sessions
Led Zeppelin: DVD
How The West Was Won
Mothership (2 disc very best of coming November 12, 2007)
The Song Remains The Same (soundtrack, remixed, remastered and complete coming November 19, 2007)
The Song Remains The Same DVD (coming November 19, 2007)

Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund

The Fund was set up in memory of Ahmet Ertegun by his widow Mica to provide funding for students of Turkish origin in the USA, UK and Turkey.

Needs-based scholarships will be made in the name of and in honor of Ahmet Ertegun to qualified, full time students, attending the following educational institutions: Oxford University (UK), St. John's College (USA) Bogazici University (Turkey) and Ravensbourne College (UK). The scholarship for Ravensbourne College is for music students in the UK and is open to all. Each year, a student's fees will be paid under these scholarships.

The Board of the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund is:

Mica Ertegun
Phil Carson
Harvey Goldsmith CBE
Bill Curbishley
Taylor Hackford
12th September 2007 02:59 PM
polytoxic Led Zeppelin reunion: Mick Jagger also to play gig?

'Door open' for Rolling Stones frontman to join Ahmet Ertegun show
2 hours ago
Harvey Goldsmith, the promoter behind the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute Gig which will see Led Zeppelin reform on November 26, has hinted they won't be the only reformation on the night.

The show which takes place at the O2 Arena in London will be the band's first full show in 22 years, will also see performances from Pete Townshend, Foreigner, Paolo Nutini and Bill Wyman And The Rhythm Kings who will back the other three acts.

However speaking at a press conference announcing the show today, Goldmsith said there was a chance that The Rolling Stones' frontman Mick Jagger will join the line-up.

He said there was a possibility that the singer will make an appearance, explaining that the "door is open" and he could reunite onstage with former Stones bassist Wyman.

The latter quit the band in 1993, but with The Rolling Stones being signed to Ertegun's Atlantic Records in the US there is a strong chance the pair will perform together again.
12th September 2007 03:02 PM
mojoman bigger headline "bill wyman to reunite with stones for one off gig"
12th September 2007 03:03 PM
mojoman most importantly is this going to reunion of the original foreigner?
12th September 2007 03:06 PM
jb Big mistake..this is, sadly,a LZ stage and like true Stones fans who do not care about LZ, , LZ fans do not want to see Mick.

12th September 2007 03:15 PM
Dan
quote:
jb wrote:
Big mistake..this is, sadly,a LZ stage and like true Stones fans who do not care about LZ, , LZ fans do not want to see Mick.

I would be more than willing to bet true LZ fans do not want to see Foreigner.

But sadly you only listen to 1 band and you unfairly projecting that bizarre attribute to other music fans.
12th September 2007 03:16 PM
mrhipfl Man this thing is gonna rock. I don't care what anybody here says, Led Zeppelin are amazing. Could you imagine seeing the Stones with Wyman and Zeppelin all in one night? *drool*
12th September 2007 03:17 PM
mojoman
quote:
jb wrote:
Big mistake..this is, sadly,a LZ stage and like true Stones fans who do not care about LZ, , LZ fans do not want to see Mick.

most LZ fans these days are under 25 witness the huge amount of retro led zep 77 tour shirts similar in popularity to the "hollister". unfortunately the t-shirt sales alone will eclipse all stones sales records......
12th September 2007 03:43 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

I think you're showing signs of nerves about their projected tour gross for 2008 already...
12th September 2007 03:45 PM
Gazza
quote:
mojoman wrote:

most LZ fans these days are under 25 witness the huge amount of retro led zep 77 tour shirts similar in popularity to the "hollister".

In fairness, every day I see even more people with 'retro' Stones t-shirts....and in my experience they rarely turn out to have much or any interest in the band.

12th September 2007 03:47 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I think you're showing signs of nerves about their projected tour gross for 2008 already...

This is, by all accounts, a one gig pony. They will not have the ability to take it on the road 147 more times.....even if they do, they toured in 94 as Page/Plant, and while the addition of the original lineup and Bonhams son will add fuel to the fire, I do not think anyone but U2 can break the current ABB record.............
12th September 2007 03:48 PM
Gazza
quote:
polytoxic wrote:
Led Zeppelin reunion: Mick Jagger also to play gig?

'Door open' for Rolling Stones frontman to join Ahmet Ertegun show
2 hours ago
Harvey Goldsmith, the promoter behind the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute Gig which will see Led Zeppelin reform on November 26, has hinted they won't be the only reformation on the night.

The show which takes place at the O2 Arena in London will be the band's first full show in 22 years, will also see performances from Pete Townshend, Foreigner, Paolo Nutini and Bill Wyman And The Rhythm Kings who will back the other three acts.

However speaking at a press conference announcing the show today, Goldmsith said there was a chance that The Rolling Stones' frontman Mick Jagger will join the line-up.

He said there was a possibility that the singer will make an appearance, explaining that the "door is open" and he could reunite onstage with former Stones bassist Wyman.

The latter quit the band in 1993, but with The Rolling Stones being signed to Ertegun's Atlantic Records in the US there is a strong chance the pair will perform together again.

Not a fucking prayer of that happening. You cant really see an egomaniac like Mick doing a guest appearance with a band who are bottom of the bill on a Led Zeppelin reunion gig. With all the hype over this gig being centred on the main event, he knows it would barely get a mention.
12th September 2007 03:56 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

This is, by all accounts, a one gig pony. They will not have the ability to take it on the road 147 more times.....even if they do, they toured in 94 as Page/Plant, and while the addition of the original lineup and Bonhams son will add fuel to the fire, I do not think anyone but U2 can break the current ABB record.............

Nope....the insider talk is that they'll tour in 2008. Only two of them toured as Page/Plant....if they were to specifically announce a tour as "Led Zeppelin" in all honesty they could probably name their price. Their fanbase is huge - that, plus the fact that - aside from a brief European tour in 1980 - they havent toured since 1977, means they have two generations who havent seen them. Can you imagine the thirst for a Stones tour if they hadnt toured for that long?

"Ability" doesnt come into it. Marketability and whether they're committed enough does. Some could argue the Stones dont have the 'ability' to play 147 shows. They still did it, though.

This obsession with how much money other bands make or how many records they sell is infantile. Interesting that its only for the likes of The Beatles, Zeppelin or U2 though. I hear Styx are reforming. I wonder why no one's obsessive about that!
[Edited by Gazza]
12th September 2007 03:59 PM
jb We'll lets hope not.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)