ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Relaxing in Sweden - April 1965
© IBL with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: David Bowie albums Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
11th September 2007 05:55 PM
Gazza
quote:
mojoman wrote:
i'm kickin myself for not going to see him on his last east coast swing in 04. hope i have a chance to see him before he sets up in vegas......

After his heart attack three years ago, its somewhat unlikely he'll be touring again.

I dont think he's toured or recorded since.
11th September 2007 06:11 PM
lotsajizz I caught him on the last tour twice. He did 'Fantastic Voyage', a hidden gem from my second fave Bowie album "Lodger". He was superb both shows. Earl Slick was his guitarist. In the past, though, my fave Bowie band was the Alomar--Murray--Davis combo, from "Station To Station" through "Scary Monsters". I loved it on 'Boys Keep Swinging" from 'Lodger' when they switch instruments. Put that band together with Eno and Fripp/Belew and singing Bowie songs and you've got maybe the best rock band of the late 70's....
11th September 2007 06:25 PM
Gazza Youve pretty similar tastes to me when it comes to Bowie. I think 'Lodger' is certainly his most overlooked album.

I'm not really that knowledgeable about Fripp's stuff other than a couple of King Crimson albums I've heard - but that guitar sound on Scary Monsters just knocks me out every time.. What other stuff would you recommend?
11th September 2007 07:17 PM
lotsajizz Well, his Bowie material on "Heroes" and "Scary Monsters" is well known to you, so I suppose you know his work on "Fear Of Music" and "Remain In Light" by the Talking Heads.....the last two King Crimson studio albums "The ConstruKCtion Of Light" and "Reason To Believe" are fairly accessable. But any and all of the Crimson albums I do love---his work on "Red" is pretty rockin' and might be up your alley--a 1974 studio album (might've been '75). Also, his albums with Eno, "No Pussyfooting" and "Evening Star" are proto-ambient/head music at its finest. If you get really fanatic (like I am) he is steadily releasing all from the archives--live performances from all versions of Crimson since 1969....his DGM website is worth checking in with periodically for blog/diaries and downloads
[Edited by lotsajizz]
11th September 2007 08:40 PM
guitarman53 Bowie is still original, which i could never say about The Stones!!they keep on going with their usual stuff (Which reminds me a lot of Elvis!!in the 70's, before he died, ) Bowie might have retired from Rock 'N' Roll, but at least he's well thought of, as a great Rock 'N'Roll artist, & very original, ask Alice Cooper About That???
11th September 2007 08:41 PM
Gazza
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Well, his Bowie material on "Heroes" and "Scary Monsters" is well known to you, so I suppose you know his work on "Fear Of Music" and "Remain In Light" by the Talking Heads.....the last two King Crimson studio albums "The ConstruKCtion Of Light" and "Reason To Believe" are fairly accessable. But any and all of the Crimson albums I do love---his work on "Red" is pretty rockin' and might be up your alley--a 1974 studio album (might've been '75). Also, his albums with Eno, "No Pussyfooting" and "Evening Star" are proto-ambient/head music at its finest. If you get really fanatic (like I am) he is steadily releasing all from the archives--live performances from all versions of Crimson since 1969....his DGM website is worth checking in with periodically for blog/diaries and downloads

Cheers. I'll check some of that stuff out.
11th September 2007 10:01 PM
stonedinaustralia low is still fresh today - the weird admixture of folksy harmionca with synths to a kind-of reggae/ska/blue beat kind of beat in A New Career in a New Town is genius like at best and extremely original and innovative at least - and no wonder the song had no lyrics the title says it all

the down side of Low is bowie predicted or set down the template for the awful 80s drum sound - the compressed drums in Sound and Vision (how funky is that one - and the lyrics are completely off the wall) and Speed of Life sounded new and different in the late 70s but then everybody tried to cop the sound as being "modern' and it simply became nauseating

always crashing in the same car - hilarious on so many levels

station to station - word on as wing is tears in your eyes stuff for me (Roy Bittan on piano!!) - a great performance matched only by that on Wild is the Wind - and that tube train guitar feedback intro to the title track still gets the adrenanlin going after all these years

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
12th September 2007 11:59 AM
MrPleasant Heathen is Bowie's best stuff in years, IMO.

Here shall we live, in this terrible town

It sounds nice in spanish:

"Viviremos aquí, en esta horrible ciudad"
12th September 2007 05:13 PM
Nellcote Couple of the Spiders joined up with couple Leppards to record this tribute cd in '04

http://www.defleppard.com/cybernauts/home.html
12th September 2007 08:21 PM
lotsajizz "Reality" is far better than his his last decade's worth of releases...
14th September 2007 02:32 AM
keefjunkie THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD.
16th September 2007 06:56 PM
guitarman53 [quote]Gazza wrote:

After his heart attack three years ago, its somewhat unlikely he'll be touring again.

I dont think he's toured or recorded since.

[/quote)
His last was "Reality" plus he had a role in that movie "The prestige" with Michael Caine, I always wondered why Jagger never did more with film roles, but I guess he wasn't meant to be a actor, my favorite film role of Bowie is still "The Man Who Fell To Earth" it's a very real life drama, he was playing a part of a alien, & he was that way in real life, he was really fucked up on cocaine, he's the only artist on drugs that was really creative, listen to "Station To Station" album, that's one of my favorites, I mean the guy was so fucked up on Cocaine, he doesn't remember 2 years of his life, he was at the Grammy Awards in early '75, & presented a award & saw the film years later, & doesn't remember being there, Frank Sinatra Jr. called him the most insane looking human being he ever had the misfortune to lay his eyes on.
16th September 2007 07:12 PM
guitarman53 Grammy Awards, totally out of it, (eat your heart out Keith Richards)
16th September 2007 07:15 PM
mojoman
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
Grammy Awards, totally out of it, (eat your heart out Keith Richards)

ashes to ashes........
16th September 2007 07:29 PM
guitarman53 Bowie once said the Stones were flowered by the fact he didn't sleep for 10 days, that was the record for the one who stayed awake the longest, but the only thing is he was seeing bodies falling from the sky (which was used in the film T.M.W.F.T.E.) from being awake so long, the human brain can only take so much, after that, it's like L.S.D.
16th September 2007 08:17 PM
mojoman marc bolan 9/16/77 RIP
16th September 2007 09:09 PM
guitarman53 Total respect for Marc Bolan, Bowie attended his funeral, before that Marc did a T.V. special with Bowie, where he (Bolan) was so drunk, he fell off the stage, he was a troubled man, but he was another original, who should be remembered, but never forgotten.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)