ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Relaxing in Sweden - April 1965
© IBL with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: David Bowie albums Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
9th September 2007 09:50 PM
lotsajizz For live Bowie, I'd reccomend "Stage". It has Belew on it.
9th September 2007 10:38 PM
Nellcote Diamond Dogs and everything before.
Bowie's greatest guitar player, without question, all due respect to the other players, was one Mick Ronson. Just ask Bob Dylan and Ian Hunter...
10th September 2007 07:44 AM
Zack The way Bowie delivers "Let's Spend the Night Together" on Alladin Sane proves to me beyond a doubt that he and Jagger were gay lovers at some point.
10th September 2007 08:23 AM
Chuck Santa Monica 1972 Live:

http://www.amazon.com/David-Bowie-Santa-Monica-1972/dp/B000001LH3

10th September 2007 09:30 AM
Zack
quote:
Chuck wrote:
Santa Monica 1972 Live:

http://www.amazon.com/David-Bowie-Santa-Monica-1972/dp/B000001LH3

I have this. It is great. But what's up with those prices? I'll burn a few if anyone's interested.
10th September 2007 09:44 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Diamond Dogs and everything before.
Bowie's greatest guitar player, without question, all due respect to the other players, was one Mick Ronson.

Not even close....gimmie Fripp, Belew, SRV, Earl Slick, or Carlos Alomar ahead of Ronson.....all due respect to Mick Ronson of course
10th September 2007 11:58 AM
Wide As The Clyde Carlos Alomar's the best guitar player ever to play with Bowie. Earl Slick? Pish. Mick Ronson, while possibly not the most gifted player in the world, was a perfect "Spider From Mars". You had to love Ronno, god rest 'im.
10th September 2007 03:32 PM
Prodigal Son I am familiar with most of Bowie's work up to Tin Machine which is where I've left off in terms of listening/purchasing. He's not my fave but I still think he produced some excellent artsy rock for most of the 70s there. Plus he was a real chameleon musically and visually as we all know. I have listened to recent stuff like Reality and Heathen which both were ok but nothing special to me (B grades). Let me review for the benefit of the unconverted as I always do

Man of Words, Man of Music (aka Space Oddity): C+
Man Who Sold the World: B
Hunky Dory: A
Ziggy Stardust: A-
Aladdin Sane: A-
Bowie Pin-ups: B (His heart is in it even if the covers don't always match the originals, a notable exception being "Sorrow" )
Diamond Dogs: B (the whole concept and dramatic overtones bore me too much, only "1984" does it for me since it's so catchy over-the-top, compared to the visionary work of Ziggy and Aladdin even if "Diamond Dogs" and "Rebel Rebel" are first rate riff-rockers).
Young Americans: B (often slagged, there are two excellent songs in "Fame" and "Can You Hear Me?" and a few decent ones but overall, the LP isn't a shining moment)
Station to Station: A (Yes, now this is funk done right. The beginnings of Bowie's avant-garde late 70s period before Germany and during his days of being in the throes of cocaine psychosis).
Heroes: B+ (not a huge fan of his late 70s era like some but this one holds up as the best of the bunch to me)
Low: B
Lodger: B+
Scary Monsters: B+
Let's Dance: B (super slick but definitely a catchy dance-pop album though the signs of a regression in quality were there)
Tonight: C+
Never Let Me Down: C- (yuck, this album sucks)

10th September 2007 06:17 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Zack wrote:
The way Bowie delivers "Let's Spend the Night Together" on Alladin Sane proves to me beyond a doubt that he and Jagger were gay lovers at some point.

I don't believe that, probably lovers of the white powder back in '74, this whole gay business started because his ex-wife Angela got revenge because he (Bowie) had a court order not for her to come within a certain distance of him & their son, the son doesn't want to have anything to do with her, & she was pissed off & went on T.V. shows claiming that she came home one night & saw the two (Bowie & Jagger) passed out on the bed together, when she wrote her book "Backstage Passes" she tried to get permission to quote the lyrics of "Angie" which was denied, she claims the song is about her, Bowie & Jagger having sex together??? I don't think so.
10th September 2007 06:21 PM
Gazza
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

Not even close....gimmie Fripp, Belew, SRV, Earl Slick, or Carlos Alomar ahead of Ronson.....all due respect to Mick Ronson of course

Yep.

For me, NOTHING comes close to Fripp's guitar assaults on the 'Scary Monsters' album.
10th September 2007 06:52 PM
lotsajizz yup...I'm a BIG Fripp/Crimso fan...but 'Scary Monsters' is my fave Fripp--he MAKES that album!!!
10th September 2007 07:23 PM
polytoxic Yeah but Ronson had the best guitar solo face ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGWYGR3xy2Y
10th September 2007 07:28 PM
lotsajizz nah...Carlos has that hands down.....
10th September 2007 08:09 PM
Gazza Talk of Ronson made me hunt for this clip. Dying of cancer, this was his last major appearance - at the Freddie Mercury Tribute gig - joining Bowie and Ian Hunter for 'All The Young Dudes'....

10th September 2007 08:31 PM
mojoman
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
yup...I'm a BIG Fripp/Crimso fan...but 'Scary Monsters' is my fave Fripp--he MAKES that album!!!

fripp definately is powerful on that disc, but my favorite solo is on the asbury park jam from USA........
10th September 2007 08:37 PM
lotsajizz Fripp is that rare guitarist is better now than ever....I see Crimson whenever they come by.
11th September 2007 07:55 AM
guitarman53 Of all of Bowie's guitarist, my favorite is.
1-Carlos Alomar.
2-Mick Ronson.
3-Adrian Belew.
4-Stevie Ray vaughan (who was only on Let's Dance album)
5-Reeves Gabrels.
6-Earl Slick.
7-Fripp.
8-Stacey Heydon.
[Edited by guitarman53]
11th September 2007 09:03 AM
Factory Girl I've found that Bowie's music does not "age" well.

I used to be a big fan, but now I think he's just drab and dreary.

11th September 2007 09:55 AM
Chuck His post-Ronson stuff doesn't move me.
11th September 2007 10:34 AM
Col Station to Station is THE most perfect Bowie album. I think it was Carlos who played on that one. TVC 15??? WTF??? Even though I ask WTF? I still consider this song as Bowie at his closest to touching genius.
11th September 2007 10:57 AM
Gazza
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
I've found that Bowie's music does not "age" well.

This thread has made me dig out a lot of his old albums over the last few days. they still sound great. That run of albums from Hunky Dory to Scary Monsters is as consistent a run of greatness as anyone has put together.

Unquestionably the best (and most influential) solo artist we've ever produced.

'Scary Monsters' is in my all time top 10. 'Station to station' isnt a kick in the arse off it either.
11th September 2007 11:01 AM
Gazza
quote:
Col wrote:
Station to Station is THE most perfect Bowie album. I think it was Carlos who played on that one. TVC 15??? WTF??? Even though I ask WTF? I still consider this song as Bowie at his closest to touching genius.

Alomar and Earl Slick are the guitarists on that one. Slick didnt go on the tour though as I recall, over a financial disagreement and was replaced by Stacy Heydon.

Oddly enough, he brought Slick back for the 1983 tour to replace Stevie Ray Vaughan who left the band for similar reasons. First tour I saw him on..great shows, although it's sad that I never got to see SRV.
11th September 2007 11:22 AM
guitarman53 [quote]Gazza wrote:

Unquestionably the best (and most influential) solo artist we've ever produced.
I totally agree, very original, ahead of his time, in the mid to late 90's he had some very original music, Earthling (jungle music) outside, etc, there's just so many great recordings he did even after he was 50 years old, he's influenced so many bands in the 80's & 90's, & even into this Century.

11th September 2007 11:30 AM
Gazza Whilst it has its moments, I dont actually care for a lot of his recent stuff - just personal taste. However, I'll give him a lot of respect for not resting on his laurels and continuing to be creative
11th September 2007 12:29 PM
Dan
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
I've found that Bowie's music does not "age" well.

Sounds more like you're not aging well
11th September 2007 12:31 PM
Dan
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
I am familiar with most of Bowie's work up to Tin Machine which is where I've left off in terms of listening/purchasing. He's not my fave but I still think he produced some excellent artsy rock for most of the 70s there. Plus he was a real chameleon musically and visually as we all know. I have listened to recent stuff like Reality and Heathen which both were ok but nothing special to me (B grades). Let me review for the benefit of the unconverted as I always do

Man of Words, Man of Music (aka Space Oddity): C+
Man Who Sold the World: B
Hunky Dory: A
Ziggy Stardust: A-
Aladdin Sane: A-
Bowie Pin-ups: B (His heart is in it even if the covers don't always match the originals, a notable exception being "Sorrow" )
Diamond Dogs: B (the whole concept and dramatic overtones bore me too much, only "1984" does it for me since it's so catchy over-the-top, compared to the visionary work of Ziggy and Aladdin even if "Diamond Dogs" and "Rebel Rebel" are first rate riff-rockers).
Young Americans: B (often slagged, there are two excellent songs in "Fame" and "Can You Hear Me?" and a few decent ones but overall, the LP isn't a shining moment)
Station to Station: A (Yes, now this is funk done right. The beginnings of Bowie's avant-garde late 70s period before Germany and during his days of being in the throes of cocaine psychosis).
Heroes: B+ (not a huge fan of his late 70s era like some but this one holds up as the best of the bunch to me)
Low: B
Lodger: B+
Scary Monsters: B+
Let's Dance: B (super slick but definitely a catchy dance-pop album though the signs of a regression in quality were there)
Tonight: C+
Never Let Me Down: C- (yuck, this album sucks)

I'll take over here

Tin Machine B+
Tin Machine (no recollection)
Black Tie White Noise B
Buddha Of Suburbia B (Dead Against It & Strangers When We Meet A+)
Outside A+++++++
Earthling A
Hours B
Heathen A
Reality B
11th September 2007 03:20 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Dan wrote:

Sounds more like you're not aging well

Sounds like your not aging well! Bowie is 10 times more original then the Stones!!! all they do is their old cover songs (a l00's% like Elvis!!in his vegas days!!& they knock Elvis big Time! then what is the difference! Elvis doing his old stage show, Or The Stones doing it all over the country! At Bowie is original.
11th September 2007 03:58 PM
Erik_Snow
quote:
Gazza wrote:

For me, NOTHING comes close to Fripp's guitar assaults on the 'Scary Monsters' album.

Yes!
Fripp is without any doubt the best guitarist Bowie have been working with, he's also one of the most interesting guitarists that ever was. Sadly he became "lost" as the 80s came around, just like his friend Brian Eno. The highpoint of his career was the late 70s, and the early 80s.
Funny, Brian Eno said that the guitar on Joe The Lion was "Robert Fripps take on playing the blues" - it's a wonder how anyone can approach the guitar that way - and still get away with it. He seems to have his own note-scales that man

after Fripp...these guitarists have done the greatest job for Bowie (IMO)
- Adrian Belew
- Carlos Alomar
- Stacey Heydon

Mick Ronson was a very good R&R guitarist, but he certainly had his limitations.
11th September 2007 05:44 PM
guitarman53 David Bowie is really great, when your really stoned!
11th September 2007 05:50 PM
mojoman i'm kickin myself for not going to see him on his last east coast swing in 04. hope i have a chance to see him before he sets up in vegas......
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)