ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Relaxing in Sweden - April 1965
© IBL with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Satire - Brits vs USA Return to archive Page: 1 2
5th September 2007 10:01 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Why is it that the Americans make lousy satire, while the Brits make all the cool stuff?
5th September 2007 10:03 AM
egon lousy satire?

the USA doesn't have satire, nor do they understand it.
5th September 2007 10:04 AM
Ten Thousand Motels "Cavemen" could make great satire but it won't happen, not in the US. Spittin' Image was great satire but the Americans pulled the plug on it after a few shows.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
5th September 2007 11:29 AM
Fiji Joe I find British satire boring...I get it just fine...just not funny...and I don't care for American satire either...it's all just too obvious...the punchline can be seen a mile away...the way I see it, there was "ALF", and all other attempts at comedy since are just a waste of time

5th September 2007 11:37 AM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Why is it that the Americans make lousy satire, while the Brits make all the cool stuff?

Because of the food?
5th September 2007 11:38 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
Why is it that the Americans make lousy satire, while the Brits make all the cool stuff?

"Americans"... you mean, people from the "USA"?
5th September 2007 12:00 PM
the good
quote:

We are too busy working to worry about things like satire.
5th September 2007 12:07 PM
Joey " Why is it that the Americans make lousy satire, while the Brits make all the cool stuff? "

< ---- you raise an interesting point my Stonesian Buttercup . I too have long felt the exalted flow of the space/time continuum whilst .......................

|
|
V

*** ABRUPT END TO TRANSMISSION ****

Brown Stinky ! ™
5th September 2007 12:09 PM
mojoman just picked up the 16 ton python box...its heavy
5th September 2007 12:12 PM
Joey
quote:
mojoman wrote:
just picked up the 16 ton python box...its heavy

mojo ........................

the entire third floor is completely , COMPLETELY out of toilet paper .

Why ?!

5th September 2007 12:17 PM
mojoman
quote:
Joey wrote:

mojo ........................

the entire third floor is completely , COMPLETELY out of toilet paper .

Why ?!

Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed; the ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force
5th September 2007 01:47 PM
mrhipfl can't touch this.
5th September 2007 02:10 PM
Wide As The Clyde What is satire? "Animal Farm" is most often described as a 'satire' on the Bolshevik revolution. 80's TV show "Spitting Image" (as someone pointed out earlier) is also commonly held to be a 'satire'. What is it that these two very different works have in common?

I promise I'm not being sarcastic or looking for an argument. I genuinely would like to know. People talk about "a sly satire", or "a subtle satire". Presumably Orwell's 'fairy tale' of "Animal Farm" falls under these. So, is it still a satire if no one notices it 'satirising'? Surely then it's a rubbish satire, and it has failed. What's a 'parody'? Are satire and parody the same as what 'irony' USED to mean, before it came to just mean 'a coincidence'?
5th September 2007 02:16 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
Wide As The Clyde wrote:
What is satire? "Animal Farm" is most often described as a 'satire' on the Bolshevik revolution. 80's TV show "Spitting Image" (as someone pointed out earlier) is also commonly held to be a 'satire'. What is it that these two very different works have in common?

I promise I'm not being sarcastic or looking for an argument. I genuinely would like to know. People talk about "a sly satire", or "a subtle satire". Presumably Orwell's 'fairy tale' of "Animal Farm" falls under these. So, is it still a satire if no one notices it 'satirising'? Surely then it's a rubbish satire, and it has failed. What's a 'parody'? Are satire and parody the same as what 'irony' USED to mean, before it came to just mean 'a coincidence'?

If my memory serves me correctly, I learned in 10th grade that satire is a piece of art that mocks something about society in hopes of changing it. Has anyone here read the Canterbury Tales? Now that's a good satire.
5th September 2007 02:25 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Wide As The Clyde wrote:
What is satire? "Animal Farm" is most often described as a 'satire' on the Bolshevik revolution. 80's TV show "Spitting Image" (as someone pointed out earlier) is also commonly held to be a 'satire'. What is it that these two very different works have in common?

Well...since he used the term "satire" in the context of USA vs. Brits, I can only guess he's referring to that over the top stuff with celebrity/political impersonators cracking grade school/slapstick jokes that, by themselves, are not funny, but, when done in the context of a sock puppet done up to look like Tony Blair, has some, albeit slight, comic value...That's the stuff the brits are always going on and on about when they refer to "satire" in the television context...

[Edited by Fiji Joe]
5th September 2007 03:29 PM
Saint Sway For the record:

Any jokes, or attempt at jokes, made or expressed by Dane Cook are the sole the property of Dane Cook and, in no way, represent the comedy of other talented American comedians. If you have a complaint about the lack of funniness of any of Dane Cook's jokes please direct said complaints to www.myspace.com/danecook.
5th September 2007 04:24 PM
jostorm Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that both countries probably have very good satirists, and that the difference lies in what is deemed by TV executives to be acceptable mainstream humour.
While the Brits have the unparalelled talent of not taking themselves too seriously and of being extremely tolerant when it comes to comedy (see "Little Britain"), Americans in their litiginous and self-obsessed culture of human rights coupled with presbyterian political correctness, cannot allow a joke to be aired that may possibly offend someone of some ethnic connection or other, somewhere somehow......The end effect is the death of all humour.
I seriously doubt it's down to talent growing only in the UK, I've seen plenty of very funny American stand-up comedians that have sent me running for new knickers.......
5th September 2007 04:57 PM
TomL Kins, I pooped one about a foot today. I was all proud and shit.
5th September 2007 05:29 PM
Highwire Rob How many times do I have to tell you Brits?

I WANT A WALDORF SALAD!

"Celery! Apples! Walnuts! Grapes! In a mayonnaise sauce!"

[Edited by Highwire Rob]
5th September 2007 05:39 PM
Poplar
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
Has anyone here read the Canterbury Tales?

"And lo, Nicholas let fly a fart, as strong as a thunderclap."

back on topic - it's ridiculous to suggest any US Americans can't produce satire.
Maybe the Brits just don't get our best stuff.

[Edited by Poplar]
5th September 2007 05:42 PM
jostorm
quote:
TomL wrote:
Kins, I pooped one about a foot today. I was all proud and shit.

Sai needs to eat less rice...

5th September 2007 05:52 PM
robpop I like American satire

5th September 2007 08:07 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:

Say what?
5th September 2007 08:15 PM
Gazza
quote:
Highwire Rob wrote:
How many times do I have to tell you Brits?

I WANT A WALDORF SALAD!

"Celery! Apples! Walnuts! Grapes! In a mayonnaise sauce!"

"I'm afraid we're right out of Waldorfs..."
5th September 2007 08:38 PM
robpop
quote:
egon wrote:
lousy satire?

the USA doesn't have satire, nor do they understand it.

Egon, my friend.

Some of us in the USA understand an appricate satire. See BBJ's post above. Sadly, the Americans who get all the press just like to point fingers, yell loudly, and prey on the fear of others. There are many of us who like to use our brains, but that makes bad TV and talk radio. Yelling and name calling seems to draw the ratings.
[Edited by robpop]
5th September 2007 08:46 PM
gorda I love British programs. It's not so much the actual dialogue that I find amusing, but more so their accent and the way they use words. I understand exactly what they are trying to say, but I would never think to use words in that manner.

[Edited by gorda]
6th September 2007 07:26 AM
jostorm
quote:
gorda wrote:
I love British programs. It's not so much the actual dialogue that I find amusing, but more so their accent and the way they use words. I understand exactly what they are trying to say, but I would never think to use words in that manner.

[Edited by gorda]

You took the words right out of the nation's mouth, gorda! We, too, sort of understand what Americans are trying to say, but we would never have butchered the English language to such an extent....

Has anyone in the USA ever seen the british comedy series "Little Britain"??? There is a sketch with two elderly ladies who are bigotted and racist and who get to judge the homemade cakes, jams and other homemade produce at the village fete. When realising that something they are chewing and which they judged "delicious" was baked by and Asian or black kid, one of them starts to projectile-vomit massive amounts of dilute Campbells soup onto the poor kid. I doubt it could ever be aired in the USA....
8th September 2007 03:01 AM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
jostorm wrote:

You took the words right out of the nation's mouth, gorda! We, too, sort of understand what Americans are trying to say, but we would never have butchered the English language to such an extent....

"England and America are two countries divided by a common language."--George Bernard Shaw
"Why do I have to study English? I'm never going to England."--Homer Simpson
8th September 2007 03:54 PM
Bloozehound We made Caddyshack

9th September 2007 07:35 PM
Wide As The Clyde
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
We made Caddyshack

I knew someone would own up eventually.

We discovered penicillin.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)