ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Halifax Commons, Halifax NS Sept 23, 2006
© Ted Pritchard with thanks to Montana
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: About money grabbing Return to archive Page: 1 2
19th September 2006 09:37 AM
F505 Almost everyone is complaining about the outrageous ticket prices. All Stones members own already enough money. In a lifetime they can't spend the millions they still earn. So their personal prosperity is not the main issue when they continue to force up the prices of tickets. Something else is at stake.
The Stones want to prove they're still rockband number one in the world. Their albums of the last 25 years don't give them this status anymore. The one and only thing left is to obtain this status by organising the biggest selling tour ever so they can still be number one in music business scene with the emphasis on business. Of course it has less to do with music. It's about status and prestige: "We don't want to selI less tickets than U2 or Madonna otherwise we have lost."
But I think you can't fool people in the end. They know when they are taken for a ride. I predict the Stones are going to end like a candle in the wind.
19th September 2006 09:41 AM
Sir Stonesalot I agree, and it breaks my heart.
19th September 2006 09:45 AM
Martha My heart is broken too. I can't make it to any of the shows.
19th September 2006 10:30 AM
Sir Stonesalot See, here's the difference though Martha...

I COULD go to some shows this tour...I just don't really want to.

That realization makes me sad.

It's like realizing that a love affair is over. Something that used to bring so much happiness and joy now just brings about ambivilence and eye rolling.

I never thought in a million years that I'd ever feel this way. I'm so unprepared for it. It's like I'm losing a part of me and there is nothing that I can do to stop it.
19th September 2006 11:09 AM
Jumping Jack Face it, poor people simply are not worthy!
19th September 2006 11:24 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Face it, poor people simply are not worthy!

thats a terrible thing to say. Even if you're just joking.

rock -n- roll is not elitist

any band that tries to be is not a real rock band.

save that shit for the Babs crowd please
19th September 2006 11:27 AM
glencar Poor people can still attend shows if they want. They won't get great seats but $22 for a nosebleed is a bargain.
19th September 2006 11:29 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Poor people can still attend shows if they want. They won't get great seats but $22 for a nosebleed is a bargain.

100% correct.
pdog I still hold out hope SS will be in AC. Even if it's just to say hi, and maybe we'll all scrounge our pockets and chip in for a ticket for him. And it's not a charity thing. I know a few of us just love seeing him that much, we'd be willing to bribe him to show up!
glencar Are you amking AC, doggy?+
19th September 2006 11:31 AM
jb SS, appears to have made the transition. I am not sure if like me, he still loves the band, but is just disgusted at how they have ruined their legacy..Not one hit since SMU, no decnt albums, and non-stop touring which with the exception of NS, has been the same.
19th September 2006 11:34 AM
glencar Mixed Emotions & Harlem Shuffle were both Top Ten hitz in USA Joshy!
19th September 2006 11:40 AM
pdog
quote:
glencar wrote:
Are you amking AC, doggy?+

Oh yeah, I thought you knew this. I got 18th row ticky on the Floor!
It's my hometown... Saw them there in 1989 too. This was a hard show to pass on, and flying on miles and staying with family, makes it really easy to justify the ticket price...
19th September 2006 11:49 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Mixed Emotions & Harlem Shuffle were both Top Ten hitz in USA Joshy!

dreadful-nothing to be proud of.
19th September 2006 11:52 AM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Poor people can still attend shows if they want. They won't get great seats but $22 for a nosebleed is a bargain.

It is, but they werent $22 when most fans were trying to get tickets after they were put on sale.

Its not like Cohl and the Stones are doing people a favour. Its merely a cosmetic exercise to cover their own embarrassment because they realise they misjudged the market
19th September 2006 11:56 AM
pdog
quote:
Gazza wrote:

It is, but they werent $22 when most fans were trying to get tickets after they were put on sale.

Its not like Cohl and the Stones are doing people a favour. Its merely a cosmetic exercise to cover their own embarrassment because they realise they misjudged the market

Misjudged is putting it mildly.
19th September 2006 12:03 PM
monkey_man
quote:
glencar wrote:
Are you amking AC, doggy?+

Pdog and I are on the same flight to Philly. . .I predict several flustered stewartesses!
19th September 2006 12:04 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
glencar wrote:

Those $22 seats aren't nosebleeds. Lower level, straight on view of the stage.
Original price on them was $97.50.

Oddly enough, the $62 upper lever "nosebleeds" weren't discounted.
19th September 2006 12:07 PM
jb NO one was interested in even the cheap seats!!! It was never the money, but total lack of respect by Boston.
19th September 2006 12:10 PM
Sir Stonesalot Honestly, it's not a money issue. I can buy a ticket if I really wanted to.

And it certainly isn't because I don't want to hang out with you and the gang. Like I said before, I'm not saying no...but I wouldn't get your hopes up to high.

JB, I STILL love this band. I always will. It's like an ex-wife that you have kids with. You will always feel something special for someone who has given you kids. There is always gonna be some love, you know? But the magic...the zing...the things that made you feel the excitement and lust, those things are really gone. At least they are for me...your mileage may vary.
19th September 2006 12:11 PM
monkey_man There are a lot of $450 100 level tickets available for AC. It would be a shame if those got slashed too.
19th September 2006 01:06 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
monkey_man wrote:
There are a lot of $450 100 level tickets available for AC. It would be a shame if those got slashed too.

Not for me, it wouldn't be. I'm holding out. Which is part of the reason ticket-pricing has gotten so insane lately. I talked to a promoter about all this recently, and he explained that ticket-buyers are now "trained" to wait for or predict discounts.

On the other end, you've got the well-heeled JBs (God bless them) who immediately shell out thousands to secondary brokers for the premium seats - money the artists don't see, and that the promoter (who's assuming the most risk), doesn't see.

I've moaned a lot lately about prices, but I do have to admit that the Stones and bands of their caliber are in something of a bind about what to charge. The solution, I think, is to do what Springsteen does: which is to charge less than the absolute upper-limit of what you think the market will bear. You spare yourself the headache of gauging how far you can push the envelope, and there's no unpredictability in the primary market. Everybody wins. The fans are happy. The venues are sold out. The band gets richer. And, yes, so do the brokers.

To wind up this longwinded post, I think the question is ultimately how far you're willing to go in recapturing revenue from the StubHubs of the world. It's clear that for every dollar you get from them, you're pissing off -- and shutting out from the market -- some unknown number of ordinary fans.
19th September 2006 01:12 PM
jb
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Honestly, it's not a money issue. I can buy a ticket if I really wanted to.

And it certainly isn't because I don't want to hang out with you and the gang. Like I said before, I'm not saying no...but I wouldn't get your hopes up to high.

JB, I STILL love this band. I always will. It's like an ex-wife that you have kids with. You will always feel something special for someone who has given you kids. There is always gonna be some love, you know? But the magic...the zing...the things that made you feel the excitement and lust, those things are really gone. At least they are for me...your mileage may vary.

I feel basically the same, but since I don't listen to other music, I hang on....they really let me down w/ABB. I had hoped against hope a decent album w/ some kick ass rockers...instead more of the throw Mick solo and Keith sol work in a create a really bad Ronnie rift....
19th September 2006 01:17 PM
Dick Bush Greed is so cool, so very sexy these days, but I believe only the Mick should be praised for it. I can vivaciously imagine his desperation for not having grabbed a single billion every time he plays golf with Rick Branson.

Keef is simply not that cool at all on that new, healthy virtue.

19th September 2006 01:18 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Dick Bush wrote:
Greed is so cool, so very sexy these days, but I believe only the Mick should be praised for it. I can vivaciously imagine his desperation for not having grabbed a single billion every time he plays golf with Rick Branson.

Keef is simply not that cool at all on that new, healthy virtue.

You can "vivaciously imagine"? How does that work, exactly?
19th September 2006 02:35 PM
Dick Bush
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

You can "vivaciously imagine"? How does that work, exactly?

"Like a well lubed stick", so to say. I just close my eyes, and all the beautiful things come through my mind.

Why being so curious, my dear fellow?
19th September 2006 03:15 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Dick Bush wrote:

Why being so curious, my dear fellow?

Just a striking turn of phrase, that's all.
19th September 2006 04:08 PM
Martha
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
See, here's the difference though Martha...

I COULD go to some shows this tour...I just don't really want to.

That realization makes me sad.

It's like realizing that a love affair is over. Something that used to bring so much happiness and joy now just brings about ambivilence and eye rolling.

I never thought in a million years that I'd ever feel this way. I'm so unprepared for it. It's like I'm losing a part of me and there is nothing that I can do to stop it.

You might be able to go, unlike me but all the rest you say I totally identify with. It is a loss that I cannot deal with either. I've had a lot of loss the past 5 years and this is another hard one for me to take.

Lucinda knows how I feel...

"You took my joy, I want it back"

Peace to you Stonsey.

xxoo,
Martha
19th September 2006 04:09 PM
Joey
quote:
Martha wrote:
My heart is broken too. I can't make it to any of the shows.

W- W- What ?!?!

19th September 2006 04:10 PM
Martha
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Face it, poor people simply are not worthy!

This is very unkind thing to say and not at all funny.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)