ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Halifax Commons, Halifax NS Sept 23, 2006
© Ted Pritchard with thanks to Montana
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: folk you! Return to archive
19th September 2006 12:27 AM
Starbuck anybody have any good suggestions for good folk music to pick up? the only thing remotely folk in my CD collection is dylan, simon & garfunkel and the indigo girls...

i do have one woody guthrie disc and an arlo guthrie/pete seeger disc that is very good...

what else? who are the folk masters? please don't say peter paul and mary; they make my feet itch.
19th September 2006 12:31 AM
pdog The Replacements and anything Westerberg!
19th September 2006 12:43 AM
telecaster Springsteens new "The Seeger Sessions" is excellent

19th September 2006 12:57 AM
pdog
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Springsteens new "The Seeger Sessions" is excellent

You got it, and gave it good recomendation, I'm definitely getting it.
19th September 2006 01:42 AM
Bloozehound I fuckin hate folk music, but townes van zandt was pretty damned good
19th September 2006 09:47 AM
nanatod
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
anybody have any good suggestions for good folk music to pick up?

1. John Prine's self-titled first album. It has "Paradise" and the original "Angel from Montgomery" on it.

2. John Prine's "Sweet Revenge." It has "Often is a word I seldom use" on it, as well as a smoking version of "Nine Pound Hammer." The Waco Brothers also do a great version of "Nine Pound Hammer," but their version isn't necessarily folk music.

3. Joan Baez's "The First Ten Years." It has the Dylan covers "Farewell, Angelina" and "Love is Just a Four Letter Word" on it, as well as a song called "No Expectations" written by some old farts.

4. The late Steve Goodman's "Affordable Art," which has the prophetic "A Dying Cub Fans Last Request" on it.

5. Anything by Tom Paxton that includes "Grand Coulee Dam."

6. A lot of people like John Hartford's and Mike Cross's work, also.
19th September 2006 10:01 AM
Egbert Muddy Waters "Folk Singer"
19th September 2006 09:44 PM
mrhipfl who is the dude that does that really cool "Puff the magic dragon" song? I think it's Peter something, Peter Cooper?
19th September 2006 10:39 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
who is the dude that does that really cool "Puff the magic dragon" song? I think it's Peter something, Peter Cooper?

Peter, Paul and Mary
19th September 2006 10:44 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I don't like it too much but to mention a few

British Folk: Donovan
Americana: Ry Cooder
Celtic Folk: The Chieftains
Commercial Folk: Joni Mitchell
Poltical Folk: Arlo Guthrie
Druggie: David Crosby
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)