ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Halifax Commons, Halifax NS Sept 23, 2006
© Ted Pritchard with thanks to Montana
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Do you remember where you were.... Return to archive Page: 1 2
15th September 2006 10:19 AM
Ten Thousand Motels ....when you heard the Rolling Stones for the first time? Or thereabouts. I honestly can't say that I do. It must have been when I first heard Satisfaction on the AM radio. I can remember that much......I think.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
15th September 2006 10:23 AM
gimmekeef Absolutely...1964...sittin on my grandmothers couch..listeneing to her old tube am radio.Hearing that Bo Diddly intro to Not Fade Away..12 yrs old and hatin the Beatles gooey crap....the rest is history!
[Edited by gimmekeef]
15th September 2006 10:30 AM
GotToRollMe Yes. I was in my cousin's backyard and we were listening to WABC-AM on a tiny transistor radio. "Satisfaction" came on and my cousin said, "Listen to this! This is a great song called "Net No!"

Forty-three years later, and people the world over still can't understand half of what Mick is singing!

15th September 2006 10:39 AM
Joey
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
....when you heard the Rolling Stones for the first time? Or thereabouts. I honestly can't say that I do. It must have been when I first heard Satisfaction on the AM radio. I can remember that much.....I think.

August , 1967 .... ' floating ' down the Mekong Delta on a Swift Boat .
15th September 2006 10:40 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Joey wrote:

August , 1967 .... ' floating ' down the Mekong Delta on a Swift Boat .

Did Kerry avoid gunfire to bring you a radio?
15th September 2006 10:53 AM
Gazza Yep. And it was an unusual 'first song' too - 'Angie'

Watching TV in the afternoon at the age of ten with my cousin (she was 13). I think the programme was "Lift Off" or one of those short-lived pop programmes from the early 70's that featured new releases. (it may have been one called '45', actually).

They showed the promo clip of Angie - the one where Mick wears the white hat, not the one where they have all the flowers. Had no idea who it was, but my cousin told me the singer was "Mick Jagger" - a name I'd seen mentioned a few times in various pop magazines

Wouldnt say I became a fan at that moment. That kinda happened 3 or 4 years later when Arcade released that TV advertised "Get Stoned" double LP.

The clips in that commercial had me hooked instantly, and I got the LP for Christmas. I couldnt wait to Christmas Day to hear it, so one night about 2 weeks before Xmas when my parents were out, I poked through their wardrobe where they'd hidden it, took it downstairs and played it. For hours.

[Edited by Gazza]
15th September 2006 10:57 AM
PartyDoll MEG Probably was the radio, so I guess I'm in the same boat as you Mr. Motels!!! I do remember watching their first performance on Ed Sullivan though!!
15th September 2006 10:58 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Yep. And it was an unusual 'first song' too - 'Angie'

Watching TV in the afternoon at the age of ten with my cousin (she was 13). I think the programme was "Lift Off" or one of those short-lived pop programmes from the early 70's that featured new releases. (it may have been one called '45', actually).

They showed the promo clip of Angie - the one where Mick wears the white hat, not the one where they have all the flowers. Had no idea who it was, but my cousin told me the singer was "Mick Jagger" - a name I'd seen mentioned a few times in various pop magazines

Wouldnt say I became a fan at that moment. That kinda happened 3 or 4 years later when Arcade released that TV advertised "Get Stoned" double LP. The clips in that commercial had me hooked instantly, and I got the LP for Christmas. I couldnt wait to Christmas Day to hear it, so one night about 2 weeks before Xmas when my parents were out, I poked through their wardrobe where they'd hidden it, took it downstairs and played it. For hours.

I remember that Angie promo well...and that hat! I went out and bought an identical one soon after.

I love the bit about Christmas! My brother and I used to snoop around while my parents were at work, find the albums we were getting for Christmas, and carefully slit them down the side and listen to them all day! I had no idea anyone else did that!
15th September 2006 10:59 AM
glencar WABC-AM, Bronx, NY basement on Olmstead Avenue. It was the summer of 1967 & Ruby Tuesday came over the frequency. I had 2 older sisters who were heavily into pop music & they told me what it was. I always liked the Stones music after that but I didn't become a fan until Miss You 11 years later.
Joey
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Did Kerry avoid gunfire to bring you a radio?

Actually -- true story -- he was in the Swift Boat right ahead of us and yelled out to our crew , " Hey everyone , ya gotta hear this new song by a band called the Rolling Stones " .... when all of a sudden these damn Viet Cong popped up out of nowhere and started shooting all around us .

I really have had ' mixed emotions ' about the guy ever since that particular moment .

" The ' Nam was HELL Ronnie ! "

Ho " Chi " Joe !
Dan I have no idea really. Probably in the womb.
15th September 2006 11:00 AM
jb
quote:
Dan wrote:
I have no idea really. Probably in the womb.

Aerosmith concert?
15th September 2006 11:02 AM
Joey " Aerosmith concert?"

15th September 2006 11:05 AM
gimmekeef I remember living in a small town with one lil record store.Close to Christmas and they have one copy of Between The Buttons...I didnt have the $ to get it till after Christmas....so I hid the lp in the Perry Como bin..then went in and retrieved it day after Christmas...true story
15th September 2006 11:07 AM
glencar Remember when LP's were $3.99? Ah...
15th September 2006 11:13 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
glencar wrote:
Remember when LP's were $3.99? Ah...

I paid 39 cents for the Satisfaction 45 in Cleveland and $2.99 for Aftermath lp in Orlando.....
15th September 2006 11:13 AM
glencar I'm a bit younger or just started buying later...
15th September 2006 11:14 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Remember when LP's were $3.99? Ah...

That had to be in the 1950's or something !
15th September 2006 11:14 AM
glencar Late 70's, jackhole!
15th September 2006 11:21 AM
sirmoonie I was 5-6 years old living with my grandparents in U.K. and the JJF video with all the makeup came on TV. I remember thinking these people, Mick and his lips especially, were very bad people. Didn't get into them until 7-8 years later, but always remembered the video.
15th September 2006 11:25 AM
Egbert In the back of our family van on the way down to our "summer estate" in Missouri (40 acres of cowpie-studded fields and more ticks & chiggers than grains of sand in the sea) mom and dad would turn the radio on to calm us down, which worked well enough until SFTD came on and my brother and I would sing the "hoo-hoos" and jump around like monkeys in a hyperactive frenzy. Probably not the first time I heard 'em, but the first that I can recall.

[Edited by Egbert]
15th September 2006 11:27 AM
not bound to please
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
I was 5-6 years old living with my grandparents in U.K. and the JJF video with all the makeup came on TV. I remember thinking these people, Mick and his lips especially, were very bad people. Didn't get into them until 7-8 years later, but always remembered the video.

Hey - That was my first time too - the JJF video, on a rock history show. I was 12 though. I knew they were bad people - and they became my favorite band.

15th September 2006 11:33 AM
Dan
quote:
jb wrote:

Aerosmith concert?

I am concerned about your Aerosmith obsession. Maybe you should consider seeing a professional to guide you through this. Sounds like latent feelings and a lot of denial to me.
[Edited by Dan]
15th September 2006 11:38 AM
RollingstonesUSA I was a young man at the age of 12, I was over at my friends house, he played guitar and I played drums, we listened mainly to blues which was weird for that time for us, but I would go over there to jam and to see his sister, holy fuck she was hott, shed walk around in this bikini, anyway, I can't remember what show or station we were watchin', but She's So Cold video came on and I was hooked, went out and bought Emotional Rescue and played it 3742387429474 times a day, and the rest is history....
15th September 2006 11:39 AM
Joey " Late 70's, jackhole!"

15th September 2006 11:44 AM
SweetVirginia
quote:
Joey wrote:

Actually -- true story -- he was in the Swift Boat right ahead of us and yelled out to our crew , " Hey everyone , ya gotta hear this new song by a band called the Rolling Stones " .... when all of a sudden these damn Viet Cong popped up out of nowhere and started shooting all around us .

Are you sure that he didn't say "Listen to the Magical Mystery Tour by the Beatles." at which time his own troops fired upon him?

15th September 2006 11:51 AM
Joey
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:

Are you sure that he didn't say "Listen to the Magical Mystery Tour by the Beatles." at which time his own troops fired upon him?

SweetVirginia ........................

That is what I call : Miracle on Ice Postin '

15th September 2006 11:54 AM
SweetVirginia
quote:
Joey wrote:

SweetVirginia ........................

That is what I call : Miracle on Ice Postin '

Thanks, Joey.

15th September 2006 11:57 AM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
I remember living in a small town with one lil record store.Close to Christmas and they have one copy of Between The Buttons...I didnt have the $ to get it till after Christmas....so I hid the lp in the Perry Como bin..then went in and retrieved it day after Christmas...true story

I stole my vinyl copy of Sticky Fingers when I was about 16. It was a Spanish import, without the 'real zipper'. I still have it.
15th September 2006 12:01 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I stole my vinyl copy of Sticky Fingers when I was about 16. It was a Spanish import, without the 'real zipper'. I still have it.

I was at my local store when Sticky arrived..helped em unload the box...my copy of the LP which I still have has the real zipper and the yellow label on the record is screwed up as it has the same label on both sides.So you cant tell which is side two.....Used to have to guard it at parties as guys would try to stealit!!!!!!!!!lmao
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)