ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Announcing the US Tour & Rap in LA, 1969
by ED Caraeff

BUY ME!!! CLICK HERE
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Losing My Touch" worst RS song ever ? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
09-17-02 03:00 PM
KeepRigid I wouldn't say it's suddenly 'become' that...people have been taking that break since at least the Steel Wheels tour.
09-17-02 03:02 PM
KeepRigidsLawyer "Good call on the post you made several months ago on "Keith's basement sessions in 2001"...as the man himself said on the RS website that he'd played Don Was the tapes recorded in his basement in 2001 and that Don had picked the best one...Pray tell us sister that there's stronger Keith material than that in the can ?!!!!!!!"

Now where was this post? I don't seem to have it in my files.

I'm assuming that You Win Again was also culled from these sessions?

We must have a full list of all songs recorded!

[Edited by KeepRigidsLawyer]
09-17-02 03:10 PM
gotdablouse Not sure exactly when she posted this. It was at the time when we were speculating/hoping that we'd be getting a "Tattoo You 2" of sorts.
Not sure how good the search function is here or how far the archives go back.
09-17-02 03:23 PM
~AzQb

..it may have been on Gasx3...

~ ; )
09-17-02 04:47 PM
stonesmik Keith's set was fun in 1981/82 when he did one song (Little t and a) - but already then people knew exactly what's the purpose of this feature: to give hard-jogging Jagger a rest.

Of course, in fact Keith's set should be dumped - as well as Micks guitar playing. They needn't do such shit in the big time days. 5 guys and some amps, that was nuff.

But then you forget one thing: Jagger and Richards are both 59 years old, they won't get any younger. There will come the time when Ronnie will have his song and Charlie too - that's when they're the only Stones left, probably. Or Bobby Keys will sing a song. And Lisa Fischer two. And they'll have lots of guests like the old ladies usually have: they'll invite Bono and Axl Rose and all the sort, Lenny Cravitz, phew.
09-17-02 06:13 PM
sonicrock don t drink too much beer tho
09-17-02 06:53 PM
Bob Tamp is there a direct link to hear Keith's song? If so, please post
09-17-02 08:11 PM
gotdablouse yes I just uploaded it here, copy and paste carefully in your browser. You've been warned though it's a pain to listen to. Sounds like he was cooking up the lyrics as he went along and the music is a total bore :-(

ftp://www.ophelan.com/incoming/Rolling%20Stones%20-%20Losing%20My%20Touch.mp3
09-17-02 08:41 PM
~AzQb

..it's just all a bit selfish to me ; if troubardouring relaxes him, so be it.

I actually can't believe how self-centred fans can be ; (

He's BLISSED OUT. LEAVE HIM ALONE ; )

~LOL
09-17-02 09:38 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Well...

I think it sounds like a defanged "Thru And Thru" mixed with "How Can I Stop". It's a bit lifeless, not quite as good as either of the above.

But the piano is nice (finally!), the bass is nice, and Keith's having a good time with the ballads - fine!

I don't think it's the "Worst Rolling Stones Song Ever" (That honor belongs to "Back To Zero" until I download "Keys To Your Love" and find out about that one) - far from it. I think it's a nice little ballad that, if it had been put on a 70s album, would have been noted as 'a nice touch'. We're just so obsessed with "Why doesn't Keith play any rockers" that we immediately say "ballad!" when one of his comes out and throw a slant on it.

For those of you who say that Keith has written nothing but ballads since '81...

"Can't Be Seen" (Rocker)
"Thru And Thru" (Snarling blues number, a minor and more pessemistic "You Got The Silver")
"You Don't Have To Mean It" (Reggae!)
"Thief In The Night" (Jazz/Reggae blend)

Not to mention his solo ablums.

So no, Keith has not done "Nothing but ballads" since '81.

So leave the man alone!

When he sang on "Slipping Away" he was wonderful. I just didn't like that he didn't play as well as sing.

-tSYX --- I'm a lover, baby, thru and thru...
09-17-02 10:10 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
jb wrote:
We must buy to make album # 1...if they don't hit #1 with this(their greatest hits), I predict this will be the last tour!!!

FUCK NO!!! Wait for real material...we can get the new songs elsewhere if we haven't already and the older one--as Maxy said--we have in triplicate already. "40 Licks" is for novices.
09-17-02 10:57 PM
KeepRigid "FUCK NO!!! Wait for real material...we can get the new songs elsewhere if we haven't already and the older one--as Maxy said--we have in triplicate already. "40 Licks" is for novices."

So buy it and give it to a novice.

Exactly how much 'real material' do you think we'll get if the band can't even get a number one with such an easy sell?
09-17-02 11:05 PM
Boomhauer I think that's a good point, Keepy.

I can just see the non-"novices" sneaking into Best Buy with a disguise and buying a copy of Forty Licks. lol

"Novice" lol lol lol

That's a funny!
09-17-02 11:20 PM
full moon Wanna Hold You is another " rocker". No validity to the ballad point at all....There has been a good mixture ovr the years...
09-18-02 01:29 AM
~AzQb
.keep rigid wrote:

Exactly how much 'real material' do you think we'll get if the band can't even get a number one with such an easy sell?
[/quote]

P.Diddy Buddy {only joking} ...i think, really, that Keys to Your Heart will hit it ; )

Love!
09-18-02 04:21 AM
Moonisup Keith's song is the best songs of all the new ones!!

The woodenshoe

Rik
09-18-02 07:53 AM
Maxlugar Anyway You Look At It is better than Back To Zero?

Waaaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

They are both turd songs, mind you. But while Back To Zero is a garden variety turd song, just brown and stinky, Anyway You Look At It is a disgusting, wet, dark black, corn dotted, raisin packed, dead gerbil encrusted, blood from a ruptured hemorrhoid slathered, floating in a toilet for six days with a three foot tape worm wrapped around it smoking a cigar while picking it's nose with its tail, turd song.

Christ!

Maxy!

09-18-02 07:57 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
full moon wrote:
Wanna Hold You is another " rocker". No validity to the ballad point at all....There has been a good mixture ovr the years...

How could I forget "Wanna Hold You"?

What a great song!

Drag that one out for the club shows, Keith!

-tSYX --- Don't you dump me on the dusty street and hang me out to dry...
09-18-02 11:07 AM
wkoetke Just listened to Losing My Touch for the first time, along with the other three new songs (I had already heard Don't Stop).

I'm nearly speechless and how horrible these songs are. Losing My Touch is definitely a candidate for one of their worst songs ever. I thought Don't Stop was crap; turns out it's the best of the four.

I know many on this board think we're just supposed to post glowing reviews of everything the boys do, unconditionally, but they couldn't be more wrong. What a boring board this would be if we weren't able to occasionally vent & bitch and talk about the great and the bad by our favorite band ever.

For real, though, they've sunk to a new low this time. I'm actually embarassed when I hear these new songs, esp. Keith's. I've NEVER had that feeling before when hearing new stuff.

Here's hoping the other new stuff they've recorded is better...
09-18-02 11:16 AM
T&A Not sure about Stealing My Heart yet - that sounds a little "forced" to me - the others are just fine and dandy. I love the Keith ballad - beautifully played and heartfelt. I don't understand the criticism on this one. Impeccable. Thankfully, the Stones have better taste than alot of you out there in the critic section...
09-18-02 11:47 AM
~AzQb
quote:
T&A wrote:
Not sure about Stealing My Heart yet - that sounds a little "forced" to me - the others are just fine and dandy. I love the Keith ballad - beautifully played and heartfelt. I don't understand the criticism on this one. Impeccable. Thankfully, the Stones have better taste than alot of you out there in the critic section...

THANK YOU ; )
09-18-02 03:15 PM
stonesmik The really good Keith/Stones songs are his little rockers "Happy" (thias is A class Stones), "Before they make me run", "Little tits and ass". There is some fine ballads too, like "Coming down again" or "The worst", but most of the rest just sucks.

About the 1977 Toronto sessions: I really like this stuff of Keith, these are not only great songs (written by other people), but they are played with true feeling: "Sing me back home" (Merle Haggard), "Apartment no. 9" (Tammy Wynette), "All I have to do is dream" (Everly Brothers)... all these songs were never intended to be released, they are only available on bootlegs. No one labeled them "Rolling Stones". This is Keith all alone "at home".

But "Losing my touch", a Jagger/Richards tune, is on an album along with 36 of the Rolling Stones greatest hits. This must be Brian's revenge: in the 1960s Mick and Keith used to stop the tape machine and laugh, when Brian was doing a solo. Now someone has NOT stopped the tape machine...
09-18-02 03:48 PM
jb I am embarrassed for us as Stones fans..can you imagine playing these songs, particularly Keth's, for a new fan...they will laugh at us.
09-18-02 07:04 PM
wkoetke
quote:
jb wrote:
I am embarrassed for us as Stones fans..can you imagine playing these songs, particularly Keth's, for a new fan...they will laugh at us.

Exactly, JB! When Bridges To Babylon came out, I would play excerpts any time I could for my non-Stones-worshipping friends, exclaiming "See how great they still are!" But with these four new tunes, I truly am embarassed. Just pointing out the B2B comparison so that no one think I always bash the "newer" stuff. I don't. I have always LOVED the newer stuff. Until now.

The extra insult, of course, is that they will consume four slots on a greatest hits package. Just unbelievable.
09-18-02 07:39 PM
Jah is not Dead "Losing My Touch" sounds fine to me, it's Keith at 59, not 29, sounding very Tom Waitish IMHO. LMT is the song you would write after a long day of drinking Sunkist and Vodka, living in NYC post-9/11, fighting to keep the band you've been in for four decades active and relevant--weary sounding, very personal but nothing embarrasing, would be nice to have a Keith rocker but he's writing more mature, reflective material which is really no surprise since his solo vocal contribution to Stones albums have traditionally been ballads, plus he's good balladeer, IMHO. I like the feel of the song plus it's got some nice slip note piano and slick slide work from Ronnie, distant in the right channel. I like it as much as the other three, the four songs compliment themselves well, like an EP or pair of A and B sides. It's certainly much better than Anyway You Look At It, which some on this board has compared it to.
09-18-02 08:40 PM
~AzQb
quote:
Jah is not Dead wrote:
"Losing My Touch" sounds fine to me, it's Keith at 59, not 29, sounding very Tom Waitish IMHO. LMT is the song you would write after a long day of drinking Sunkist and Vodka, living in NYC post-9/11, fighting to keep the band you've been in for four decades active and relevant--weary sounding, very personal but nothing embarrasing, would be nice to have a Keith rocker but he's writing more mature, reflective material which is really no surprise since his solo vocal contribution to Stones albums have traditionally been ballads, plus he's good balladeer, IMHO. I like the feel of the song plus it's got some nice slip note piano and slick slide work from Ronnie, distant in the right channel. I like it as much as the other three, the four songs compliment themselves well, like an EP or pair of A and B sides. It's certainly much better than Anyway You Look At It, which some on this board has compared it to.

...i love you ; ) Honest I DO !~ Someone UNDERSTANDS

>gigglingZ
09-18-02 09:05 PM
Jah is not Dead quote:

~AzQb wrote:

...i love you ; ) Honest I DO !~ Someone UNDERSTANDS

>gigglingZ

~AzQb, :::I'm blushing::: why, I don't even know you!!

I bet you say such wonderful things to all Rocks Off posters

09-18-02 09:22 PM
~AzQb

....you NAilEd the whole thing, brother. That love is Jah's, indeed ; )

~
09-18-02 09:26 PM
full moon Xyzzy, great points.. The new songs really jam, so to the people who want to bitch and moan, relax and enjoy the music....
09-19-02 02:48 AM
hoobler there are no bad stones songs.
Page: 1 2 3