ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Announcing the US Tour & Rap in LA, 1969
by ED Caraeff

BUY ME!!! CLICK HERE
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Losing My Touch" worst RS song ever ? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
09-17-02 03:18 AM
gotdablouse After looking fot LMT all day on Kazaa it finally popped up from user [email protected]. Fast connection too! That's where the fun stops though.

Unfortunately I wonder if this isn't the worst song to appear on a Rolling Stones record to date. It's just about as loose and boring as the 1977 solo sessions in Toronto but that was a tough time for Keith! It's all the more bewildering since in theory it's the best thing Keith's been able to come up with in the last 5 years...Any of Keith's VL unreleased songs (Make It Now, You Got It Made, It's Funny, You're Too Much, Anything for Your Love, heck even the unfinished "Got Away With Murder" or "Randy Whore") would have been miles better than this.

What a way to finish 40 Licks!!!!!! Doesn't make you look forward to listening to the (theoretically inferior) 28 (or 24) songs still in the can that are "the best thing we've ever done" according to Keith...unless of course they're all Mick songs. After hearing "Losing My Touch" I really have to question his judgement :-(
09-17-02 06:10 AM
prism My first reaction to Thief in the Night was like that, but after many listenings it became my favorite.
09-17-02 06:19 AM
Moonisup It is a great touching song!!! A thief in the night 2 maybe, but it's only rock 'n' roll and I like loosing my touch!!!!!!!!

rik
[Edited by Moonisup]
09-17-02 08:08 AM
Maxlugar So far I have not heard any reason to buy 40 Licks.

These new songs BLOW and I have all the others in triplicate (At least).

I hope to God they really are doing a new album on the road.

09-17-02 08:13 AM
Moonisup that is the planning indeed Max. I hope they'll do that, something like stripped ore something

rik
09-17-02 09:12 AM
full moon Actually, it is a good mid-tempo Keef song.. Try not to fall into the conformist mode of " anything after 1981 sucks" , because it is not well thought out and quite lame....
09-17-02 10:35 AM
Moonisup indeed
09-17-02 10:37 AM
Moonisup indeed, wel said!!

I'm losing my touch
09-17-02 10:48 AM
jb We must buy to make album # 1...if they don't hit #1 with this(their greatest hits), I predict this will be the last tour!!!
09-17-02 11:52 AM
KeepRigid Since Keith's solo contributions to Stones' albums have historically been ballads, I don't see why this one threw you for such a loop.

It reminds me most of Nearness of You (particularly the piano and his phrasing), which is understandable considering that this was likely a live affair with little overdubbing.

09-17-02 12:02 PM
gotdablouse KeepRigid - I agree that it sounds like a lot like the stuff from the 1977 Toronto sessions which I never found particularly interesting.

To those who think I'm just dismissing the song point blank, let me specify again that I'm a huge Keith Fan and have collected ALL of his available unreleased songs starting with the Toronto sessions from 1977 and including the Black Uhuru 1979 sessions, the Talk Is Cheap (even liked the 13 minutes of She Put The Mark On Me) sessions, etc...I can say with little hesitation that "Losing My Touch" is among the worst things he's ever come up with. The music is drudgy and the lyrics sound like they could have been written on the spot.
09-17-02 12:12 PM
KeepRigid I think it sounds a bit more like the 81 stuff. Anyway, I don't question that you're not a fan, I just don't see how you can spend years tracking down all those bootlegs- and no doubt fawn over some of them- yet find this so inaccessible.

I'm not saying it's up there with All About You, I just don't see why it's one of the 'worst things' he's ever done.
09-17-02 12:31 PM
Pattie Still no lyrics to "losing your touch"?
09-17-02 12:32 PM
Pattie "losing MY touch" geez too little sleep last night...
09-17-02 12:45 PM
gotdablouse Yeah '81 too, although there's less stuff from that period, but the instrumentation is closer with the sax chiming in.
The fan comment wasn't directed to you BTW.
Anyway, I don't find it inacessibe, just plain boring and unfinished. Honestly even the endless "She Put The Mark On Me" was more interesting, which isn't saying much.

Couldn't they have found something better
09-17-02 12:49 PM
~AzQb

I'm not saying it's up there with All About You, I just don't see why it's one of the 'worst things' he's ever done.
[/quote]

Hey man!~

Did anyone ever tell you you resemble P.Fucking Diddy ??

~lol!~

CheersOn!

~

09-17-02 01:12 PM
Maxlugar "Try not to fall into the conformist mode of "anything after 1981 sucks" , because it is not well thought out and quite lame...."

No you did NOT direct that one at me, sister!

I'm the guy who thinks Dirty Work and Voodoo Lounge are some of the best albums in their entire career. Let alone after '81.

This new stuff is giving Anyway You Look At It a run for its money as worst stuff yet. Coincidentally, Anyway You Look At It was the last thing released before this stuff.

I hope this doesn't mean the well is drying up.

Developing............
09-17-02 01:33 PM
marko yep maxy,,,anyway you look at it,worst stones song,no doubt
about it.
09-17-02 01:38 PM
gotdablouse ~AzQb - Don't attack KR...no one was expecting you to be objective J/K ;-)

Good call on the post you made several months ago on "Keith's basement sessions in 2001"...as the man himself said on the RS website that he'd played Don Was the tapes recorded in his basement in 2001 and that Don had picked the best one...Pray tell us sister that there's stronger Keith material than that in the can ?!!!!!!!
09-17-02 01:43 PM
jb Can we all agree that Little T & A was the last great Keith song...his new material is so sub-par as to be embarrassing...his lack of guitar playing, particularly when singing, makes Ronnie look great...We all worried about the wrong guy this tour!
09-17-02 02:11 PM
KeepRigid "Can we all agree that Little T & A was the last great Keith song"

Well, I loved How Can I Stop, but I think it's safe to say that the last really great Keith song was The Worst. If that song had been on Exile, everyone would beg for it to be played live.
09-17-02 02:12 PM
KeepRigidsLawyer "Hey man!~

Did anyone ever tell you you resemble P.Fucking Diddy ??"

Sweetheart, don't try to flatter and woo Keep with your charm.

Okay.

Do.
[Edited by KeepRigidsLawyer]
09-17-02 02:13 PM
jb Thw Worst was marginal...certainly better than the B2B crap...Keith's ballads, like them or not, totally ruin the flow of the concert.
09-17-02 02:25 PM
~AzQb
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
~AzQb - Don't attack KR...no one was expecting you to be objective J/K ;-)

Good call on the post you made several months ago on "Keith's basement sessions in 2001"...as the man himself said on the RS website that he'd played Don Was the tapes recorded in his basement in 2001 and that Don had picked the best one...Pray tell us sister that there's stronger Keith material than that in the can ?!!!!!!!

Yes ~; )
09-17-02 02:32 PM
KeepRigid The Worst 'marginal'? I can easily hear it fitting on something like LIB or Exile.

Just for fun, I went poking around this site's archive. It's ironic to go back to some of those early 80's posts and see the older fans calling Little T&A, 'Happy-lite'. Or slamming Tattoo You for being a 'collection of outtakes that didn't even make Emotional Rescue'.

But who knows. In 20 years I might be arguing that the new Stones album sounds nothing like Voodoo Lounge.
09-17-02 02:37 PM
jb Tatoo you is/was a classic....Look, all kidding aside..I like Thru and Thru, The Worst....but why can't Keith rock anymore? Also, does'nt Keith realize/care that his set has turned into a major bore!
09-17-02 02:45 PM
~AzQb
quote:
jb wrote:
Tatoo you is/was a classic....Look, all kidding aside..I like Thru and Thru, The Worst....but why can't Keith rock anymore? Also, does'nt Keith realize/care that his set has turned into a major bore!

...Truth be Told, HE'S happy with his set; HE gets sumpreme joy from the songs he does-- so i ask you : WHY should they constantly be kissing OUR arses ?! I mean, ain't it enuf you get what you like at a gig ?

~Let the man have some fun for HIMself once a gig

~!
09-17-02 02:52 PM
KeepRigid Oh, I'm all for Keith including a rocker on the next studio album. Not because I'm tired of the ballads, but it HAS been far too long. (What? 13 years since Can't Be Seen...a decade since Main Offender?)
09-17-02 02:53 PM
jb It's just embarrassing to be sitting there and watch everyone who is not a die-hard laughing at his set or leaving for the toilet..he has become kind of a joke.
09-17-02 02:56 PM
Moonisup Indeed, the Keith set has become the: I gotta get a beer ore a I'm gonna piss, ore What is this for sad thing set!! It ain't sounding nice but it is the truth!!

The wooden shoe
Page: 1 2 3