ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Please back to reherase Sway and play it live
Rehearsing in Toronto
© 2005 Frank Micelotta with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Charlie- better than ever? Return to archive
September 17th, 2005 10:10 AM
star star is it me or does charlie sound more powerful and hard hitting on ABB than ever? his bass drum really thumps on this one and his fills sound clearer. on the older albums like exile i always feel that its his snare drum that plays the major roll, although the other toms can be heard. (e.g Rocks Off, Rip this Joint).
September 17th, 2005 11:40 AM
Too Tough I agree. The first time we hear Charlie on Bang, he is, no pun intended, flying like a bat out of hell. Keith theorized it was because he didn't want anyone to think cancer had hurt his playing.

Charlie is an inspiration.
September 17th, 2005 01:02 PM
Steel Wheels Charlie's best album is A Bigger Bang. Listen to some of the things he does - stuff he hasn't before. It's a new Charlie for the 21st Century!
September 17th, 2005 01:23 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
Charlie's best album is A Bigger Bang. Listen to some of the things he does - stuff he hasn't before. It's a new Charlie for the 21st Century!

That's a good omen. I think, as someone else pointed out, is that the Stones are beginning to confront their own mortality. Charlie getting sick and all with cancer, Keith's arthritis, and other things....like just getting old. Many artists have created their best work in old age. Forget about all this shit about Rock n Roll being a young mans game....that's all just bull shit. There comes a time in everyones life when you turn a corner and you can see the end of the road. When that happens a new urgency takes over....usually. I think we'll all see a new Stones record in less than three years....maybe sooner.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
September 18th, 2005 12:15 AM
Steel Wheels True musicians don't recognize age as a hinderance or as a negative. Journalists do.

September 18th, 2005 12:17 AM
kath i read an interview with him while in nyc in which he was quoted as saying "i was only 50% when i got to toronto". when the operated on him for the cancer, they removed his lymph nodes, thereby rending his arms usuelss because of all the muscle damage. he has months of serious physical therapy to be able to get the strength back to play the drums at all...THEN the damn car accident!!! we are soooo lucky charlie is in good shape and was able to recover to this eextent. he looked strong and happy..even put on a little weight!!! adn the way the stage moves from A to B is just right for charlie...he just levitates ou to B stage!!!
September 18th, 2005 12:24 AM
Steel Wheels Tell me, how wild have the fans been during the introduction of Mr. Charlie Watts?

I'm saving my voice for that.
September 18th, 2005 12:58 AM
Scottfree
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

That's a good omen. I think, as someone else pointed out, is that the Stones are beginning to confront their own mortality. Charlie getting sick and all with cancer, Keith's arthritis, and other things....like just getting old. Many artists have created their best work in old age. Forget about all this shit about Rock n Roll being a young mans game....that's all just bull shit. There comes a time in everyones life when you turn a corner and you can see the end of the road. When that happens a new urgency takes over....usually. I think we'll all see a new Stones record in less than three years....maybe sooner.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]

That sir was brilliant, so brilliant I may plagerize....
September 18th, 2005 01:44 AM
kath in answer to the question..i was not impressed with ovation for him at giants...he deserved a hellofalot more!!! but we had a banner up for him, which he saw...so he knew he was loved!!!
September 18th, 2005 09:42 AM
no night together ten thousands motels:
I fully agree, that's IMO the way to look at the stones these days.
September 18th, 2005 03:07 PM
Steel Wheels What did your sign say? If signs are allowed in, I'm taking one to Wachovia that reads:

"Thank you Charlie for everything!"

September 18th, 2005 03:11 PM
nankerphelge I noticed that unlike tours past, where Mick gave the crowd more time to yell for Charlie -- he has been jumping over to Keith pretty quick -- probably so as not to make a spectacle out of the whole thing!

All in all - Charlie is looking great and just listen to Rough Justice for an indication of his abilities! Check him out right before the final verse -- sends shivers down me spine!
September 18th, 2005 03:20 PM
pdog
quote:
star star wrote:
is it me or does charlie sound more powerful and hard hitting on ABB than ever? his bass drum really thumps on this one and his fills sound clearer. on the older albums like exile i always feel that its his snare drum that plays the major roll, although the other toms can be heard. (e.g Rocks Off, Rip this Joint).

I watched Charlie more than anyone else @ MSG. My vantage point was incredible, usually you can't see Charlie all that well. From the POV I had it was like I was standing next to him in a small studio setting. I only wished when he looked my way I could've just said, "hey Charlie, this is fucking great".
September 18th, 2005 03:27 PM
Steel Wheels Pdog - that's t-shirt worthy -

Hey Charlie, this is fucking great!
September 18th, 2005 04:04 PM
kath the banner said "WATTS UP"

bless his heart....he smiled at it when he saw it!!! good thing, too, cuz the people behind us were getting pretty pissed cuz it was blocking their view.....

oooooops.........
September 18th, 2005 05:02 PM
thejuf

ronnie had a laugh and went twice to charlie to show it to him. when Charlie finally saw it he laughed! this was our view of Charlie, jeez, he was so near:

more pics on www.fortylicksfanclub.com

[Edited by thejuf]
September 18th, 2005 05:32 PM
kath yeah!!!!!!!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)