ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Please back to reherase Sway and play it live
Rehearsing in Toronto
© 2005 Frank Micelotta with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: R & R Hall of Fame nominees Return to archive
September 14th, 2005 03:44 PM
Ten Thousand Motels SEX AND ROCK AND ROLL?

The punk icons are nominated for inclusion for a third time...
The SEX PISTOLS, U2 and GRANDMASTER FLASH head this year's list of nominations for the ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME.

Other acts put forward for inclusion are Patti Smith, The Stooges, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Conway Twitty, Gram Parsons, Randy Newman The O'Jays, Percy Sledge and Wanda Jackson.

MTV reports that voters received ballots in the mail last week. The performers who receive the highest number of votes (and more than 50 per cent of the vote) will be inducted - the Hall generally elects five to seven performers a year.

The inductees will be announced sometime in November, and the enshrinement ceremony — the Hall's 20th — is scheduled to take place in New York in March.

The Sex Pistols are nominated for inclusion for the third time, even though frontman John 'Johnny Rotten' Lydon once declared the Hall Of Fame to be a "place where old rockers go to die".

MNE.com
Sept 14,2005
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
September 14th, 2005 07:43 PM
Soldatti I thought that U2 was already on the HOF.
September 15th, 2005 09:24 AM
Gimme Shelter Yeah, U2 did get inducted last year.
September 15th, 2005 09:33 AM
Honky Tonk Man U2? The Sex Pistols?

All the true greats of rock 'n roll were inducted in the first few years. The nominees get more and more ridiculous every year.

September 15th, 2005 09:42 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
All the true greats of rock 'n roll were inducted in the first few years.

Minus a few too. I think they try. But there has to be a better way.
September 15th, 2005 01:23 PM
Steel Wheels Parsons will go in - they know they can get Keef to perform.
September 15th, 2005 01:49 PM
Joey

The list is moot !!!!

Flack
September 15th, 2005 04:26 PM
FPM C10 I agree that the nominees get more ridiculous each year, but The SEX PISTOLS and the Stooges are NOT. In fact they are two bands which MUST be inducted if the Hall is to taken seriously. However, I DON'T take it seriously, and neither do either of those great bands. In fact I bet Johnny would turn it down.

>Other acts put forward for inclusion are Patti Smith, The >Stooges, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Conway Twitty, Gram Parsons, >Randy Newman The O'Jays, Percy Sledge and Wanda Jackson.

Wait...is this LAST year's list? U2, Percy Sledge and the O'Jays were all inducted last year. And none of them deserved it. Well, U2 does, but Bono's such a TWAT...but PERCY SLEDGE? Come ON! He had ONE hit song, and it was a SOUL BALLAD.

So are they gonna elect him again? Clapton's in three times! Why not twice for Percy?

What a load of crap.
September 15th, 2005 07:13 PM
Sir Stonesalot I say we have our own Hall of Fame.

The He-Man Rock n Roll Lover's Hall of Fame.

I nominate uhhhhhhhh....oh yeah, THE ROLLING STONES, and Chuck Berry, and Jerry Lee Lewis, and Little Richard, and those Beatle guys.

That's five. Now you all pick five that I didn't already nominate, or that someone else doesn't nominate.
September 16th, 2005 01:23 PM
Factory Girl I'm so HAPPY that the STOOGES & Patti Smith are finally nominated. What is RRHF without the most important US punk band?

Other people I want in---

1. Iggy Pop-he's way eligible.

2. Johnny Winter-best slide player ever.
September 16th, 2005 02:45 PM
Ten Thousand Motels MUSIC
Miles ahead?

Friday, September 16, 2005
John Soeder
Plain Dealer Pop Music Critic

Miles Davis could be headed into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, even if rock 'n' roll wasn't his claim to fame.

The late jazz legend has been nominated for induction into the Rock Hall next year, along with singer-songwriter Cat Stevens, new-wave group Blondie, British Invasion faves the Dave Clark Five and a dozen other far-flung performers.

Besides those aforementioned artists, other first-time nominees on the latest Rock Hall ballot include the Sir Douglas Quintet and the Paul Butterfield Blues Band.

Black Sabbath, the quintessential heavy-metal group led by Ozzy Osbourne, received its eighth nomination.

Also in the running again after being snubbed in the past are John Mellencamp, Lynyrd Skynyrd, the J. Geils Band, the Stooges, the Patti Smith Group, the Sex Pistols, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Chic and Joe Tex.

"It's probably the most eclectic list we've ever had," says Terry Stewart, president and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. He also sits on the hall's nominating committee.

The 2006 induction ceremony will be held in New York City, Stewart says. Details have not been announced.

Trumpet player, bandleader and composer Davis was born in Alton, Ill., and raised in East St. Louis. From the 1940s until his death from pneumonia, respiratory failure and a stroke in 1991 at the age of 65, he pushed the boundaries of jazz, from bebop through jazz fusion and beyond.

Davis "certainly wasn't playing straight-ahead jazz in his later years," Stewart says.

Davis influenced many rockers, not only musically, but in terms of his attitude, Stewart says.

Tommy LiPuma, who co-produced three albums for Davis, says he would love to see the jazz icon's memory honored, although it's a stretch to enshrine him in the Rock Hall.

"I'm not sure you can look back at the guy's recordings -- maybe with the exception of Bitches Brew' -- and put anything in the rock category," says LiPuma, chairman of Verve Music Group, the world's largest jazz record company.

All the same, Davis "loved all kinds of music," LiPuma says.

British troubadour Stevens specialized in mellow 1970s fare such as "Peace Train" and "Morning Has Broken." Upon converting to Islam in the late '70s, he changed his name to Yusuf Islam. He was refused entry into the United States last year after alleged ties to terrorists landed him on a no-fly list.

Fronted by singer Deborah Harry, New York's Blondie topped the charts in the late '70s and early '80s with the likes of "Heart of Glass" and "Call Me."

The Dave Clark Five was one of England's leading musical exports in the 1960s, to the tune of "Over and Over," "Because," "Bits and Pieces" and other hits.

The Sir Douglas Quintet came together in San Antonio, Texas, with a Tex-Mex sound, epitomized by the 1965 smash "She's About a Mover." Singer-guitarist Doug Sahm died of heart failure in 1999.

Under the direction of harmonica-playing singer Paul Butterfield, Chicago's Paul Butterfield Blues Band solidified its place in history by backing Bob Dylan at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival. Butterfield died of a drug overdose in 1987.

Mellencamp's Top 10 singles include "Jack & Diane," "Pink Houses" and "R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A." The heartland rocker from Seymour, Ind., released his first album in 1976 and co-founded Farm Aid.

Lynyrd Skynyrd, the pride of Jacksonville, Fla., is best known for the Southern-rock standard "Free Bird." Band members Ronnie Van Zant (vocals) and Steve Gaines (guitar) died in a 1977 plane crash.

Boston's J. Geils Band rocked to the top of the charts in 1981 with "Centerfold."

The Sex Pistols led the punk charge in London in the mid-'70s. The group originally featured Johnny Rotten (vocals), Steve Jones (guitar), Glen Matlock (bass) and Paul Cook (drums). Matlock was replaced by Sid Vicious, who died of a drug overdose in 1979.

New York's Patti Smith Group and Detroit's Stooges, fronted by Iggy Pop, paved the way for punk by taking a no-frills approach to rock in the late '60s and early '70s.

"The Message" and "White Lines" were hits in the 1980s for groundbreaking New York DJ Grandmaster Flash and his Furious Five. If they make the cut, they would be the first hip-hop group in the Rock Hall.

Chic, helmed by Nile Rogers and Bernard Edwards (who died of pneumonia in 1996), also has a hip-hop connection. The groove from the disco-era band's "Good Times" resurfaced on the Sugar Hill Gang's "Rapper's Delight," the first major hip-hop single.

Soul singer Tex of Rogers, Texas, reached the top 5 in 1965 with "Hold What You've Got." He died of a heart attack in 1982.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation, based in New York, oversees the induction process. Artists are eligible 25 years after the release of their first recording.

Nominees are chosen by a committee of record company executives, music historians and journalists. Ballots are mailed to an international pool of 750 voters, including previous inductees and other members of the music industry.

The five to seven nominees who receive the most votes are inducted. Finalists typically are announced in November or December.

Plain Dealer

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
September 16th, 2005 03:25 PM
Rizollin Ten Thousand motels wrote:
"Other acts put forward for inclusion are Patti Smith, The Stooges, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Conway Twitty, Gram Parsons, Randy Newman The O'Jays, Percy Sledge and Wanda Jackson."

Randy Newman? WTF?
[Edited by Rizollin]
September 16th, 2005 03:28 PM
Jumping Jack Skynyrd belongs there without question.
September 16th, 2005 04:38 PM
Stonesmillenium2001 Induct Black Sabbath in this year.
September 16th, 2005 05:15 PM
goodfelladh How the HELL Van Halen and Black Sabbath cannot get into the Hall is unbelievable.
September 16th, 2005 06:36 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I say we have our own Hall of Fame.

The He-Man Rock n Roll Lover's Hall of Fame.

I nominate uhhhhhhhh....oh yeah, THE ROLLING STONES, and Chuck Berry, and Jerry Lee Lewis, and Little Richard, and those Beatle guys.

That's five. Now you all pick five that I didn't already nominate, or that someone else doesn't nominate.

OK, I nominate Bob Dylan, and the Clash, and the Stooges (which includes Iggy - none of this being inducted 3 times crap), and the Sex Pistols, and .... Percy Sledge.

NO! Wait! I nominate Elvis, but with the provision that it is only for his work previous to 1960 and the "black leather" segment of the comeback special.

Now, let's build something that doesn't look like a big glass pyramid to house it. I think it should look (and smell) like the Trocadero.

This fucking list this year is just another SCREAMING example of why they need to board that goddamn place up. MILES DAVIS???? I freaking LOVE Miles Davis, and he should be in the Jazz Hall of Fame AND the Hall of Fame of Innate Coolness, but he would bust your head open for suggesting he be enshrined in a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. It's fucking RETARDED.

And some of these other people...WANDA JACKSON? CONWAY TWITTY? CAT STEVENS? Have we run completely out of rock & roll artists? Nope, the Stooges ain't in yet. So WHAT THE FUCK?

GOD I hate that place!

I think MY R&R HoF might just have the Stones, the Clash, and the Stooges in it. Those are the bands I measure all other bands against.

Oh, and I almost forgot...the Black Crowes!

September 16th, 2005 08:27 PM
Navin Alice Cooper
September 16th, 2005 08:31 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Navin wrote:
Alice Cooper

He hasn't been inducted yet?? That hall is a bust.
September 17th, 2005 01:05 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Navin wrote:
Alice Cooper

Speaking of Alice Cooper...

ALICE COOPER FED WHISKY AS A BABY

Veteran rocker ALICE COOPER had his first taste of alcohol at an extremely early age - his grandmother often gave him whisky when he was just a few months old.

The 57-year-old SCHOOL'S OUT hitmaker, real name VINCENT FURNIER, admits he was often fed the intoxicating tipple whenever he had trouble getting to sleep.

He tells Maxim magazine, "I don't think there's anything wrong with that. When I was teething and they were trying to get me to sleep, my grandma would make me a little hot toddy - tea, honey, lemon, and a half-shot of Jim Beam.

"I'll tell you what: I slept great for eight hours. A little whisky on the gums is also good for teething. That's an old hillbilly cure."

17/09/2005 18:24
contact music
September 17th, 2005 01:10 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
I agree that the nominees get more ridiculous each year, but the Stooges are NOT. In fact they MUST be inducted if the Hall is to taken seriously.

beat me to it.

_____

[ot]

fpm - did you get that disc i sent ya..?

[/ot]
September 18th, 2005 12:46 PM
Navin Lace And Whiskey (1977)
By Alice Cooper

lyrics:

I find myself running in circles
Lost and half insane
And I need a cure sometimes
To knock out the pain

So I yell out for some kind of angel
To come down and rescue me
Be as soft as you can
Put a drink in my hand
I'm as scared as I ever could be

Gimme lace and whiskey
Mamas home remedy
Double indemnity
Fills me with ecstasy
La-aa-aace and whiskey

Lots of things I really want here
Lots of things I really need
There's an animal soul inside
That I've gotta feed
The hot mama living above me
Always gets a rise from me
She's so soft in my hands
I give her all she can stand
Make a full fledged man outta me

Gimme lace and whiskey
Mamas home remedy
Double indemnity
Fills me with ecstasy
La-aa-ace and whiskey
La-aa-ace and whiskey

I ain't hard assed
So babe don't make me mean
I want a hot place
To go and show you things

Gimme lace and whiskey
Mamas home remedy
Double indemnity
Fills me with ecstasy
La-aa-ace and whiskey

I'll end up a broken old hobo
With red and yellow eyes
Swear' and drunk and dyin'
But no ones surprised
That's a long long way from today babe
As far as I can see
So shake off your shoes
Go and get me my booze
Lay your love and your laces on me

Gimme lace and whiskey
Mamas home remedy
Double indemnity
Fills me with ecstasy
La-aa-ace and whiskey
La-aa-ace and whiskey
La-aa-ace and whiskey
La-aa-ace and whiskey
September 18th, 2005 03:17 PM
FPM C10
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

beat me to it.

_____

[ot]

fpm - did you get that disc i sent ya..?

[/ot]

Yes I did. It came yesterday. A million thanks! I haven't had a chance to really crank it yet, but it's great to have a boot of that great band.

September 18th, 2005 09:21 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

MILES DAVIS???? I freaking LOVE Miles Davis, and he should be in the Jazz Hall of Fame AND the Hall of Fame of Innate Coolness, but he would bust your head open for suggesting he be enshrined in a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. It's fucking RETARDED.

yes FPM that just about says it all

my nomination:

Gene Vincent (if he's not in it only goes to illustrate that by and large '50s rockers - for some BIZARRE reason - are not really respected as rock and rollers)

Roky Eriksonn (sp?) - particularly for his work circa 78/79

The Cramps - derivative, trashy and a bunch of bad noise - but isn't that rock and roll at it's best

The Easybeats - Australia's one true claim to rock and roll greatness - but made up entirely of english and european migrants - without them there would have been no AC/DC

September 19th, 2005 07:27 AM
Factory Girl Hello FPM,

I disagree with you on the Iggy issue-I think his solo work is as good as his work with the Stooges. Also, he's been a solo artist longer than he's been a Stooge. He should be in RRHF twice, IMO.

FG!
September 19th, 2005 07:38 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Hello FPM,

I disagree with you on the Iggy issue-I think his solo work is as good as his work with the Stooges. Also, he's been a solo artist longer than he's been a Stooge. He should be in RRHF twice, IMO.

FG!

yes, but...

the stooges wrote the book of punk rock with those first two albums. raw power is an iggy album, not a stooges album - ask the ashetons...

whether or not iggy's solo stuff is worthy is a debate for others to take up, but the first two albums should get the stooges in. and they should have been in on the first ballot...
September 19th, 2005 08:00 AM
Factory Girl Hello maccy,

Yes, the Stooges should be in RRHF. They are long overdue for that dubious honor.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)