ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Thanks to Fabio "hot Stuff"
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: You Can't Always Get What You Want (ssc) Return to archive
September 14th, 2004 11:28 PM
moy BOLDFACE NAMES
You Can't Always Get What You Want
By JOYCE WADLER

Published: September 14, 2004

ou Can't Always Get

What You Want

Dozens of Boldface grandees swanned past the print media while we were ensconced behind minimalist metal barriers at the red carpet for Cond� Nast's Fashion Rocks concert at Radio City Music Hall the other night.

MARY J. BLIGE, BEYONC� KNOWLES, MICHELLE WILLIAMS and KELLY ROWLAND all walked by us without a word.

Advertisement

Thus we were grateful to see FONZWORTH BENTLEY, formerly FARNSWORTH BENTLEY, formerly DEREK WATKINS, formerly personal assistant to P. DIDDY.

The natty Mr. Bentley, who was thrust into the public consciousness by a photograph that showed him holding a parasol over Mr. Diddy's head in St.-Tropez, is now beginning an umbrella line. He demonstrated that he had absorbed the true spirit of red carpet interaction: flogging the merchandise.

Mr. Bentley held a tiny cocktail umbrella as well as a large umbrella, and, posing for the press, he demonstrated a range of umbrella moves. He swung the large umbrella over his shoulder like a bat, spun it on the ground in front of him, and bent backward over it as if he were doing the limbo.

Also on the carpet: ROD STEWART with the gorgeous PENNY LANCASTER, RON WOOD in Ugg boots, and JEREMY PIVEN, who has stolen the HBO show "Entourage" in his role as an agent who might have gotten us out of this gig.

Then there was MARILYN MANSON and his fianc�e, the stripper DITA VON TEESE, who looked as if they were going to the Goth prom. He was wearing an all-black ensemble tight where a rocker's pants are required to be tight, no matter how old; she wore a cream and black velvet gown.

Mr. Manson stayed in character, snarling for the photographers, but was stopped midcarpet by his makeup man, for an on-the-spot touch up. Romantics that we are, this kind of broke the mood.

The after-party was at the Rainbow Room, where we saw many advertising execs in Brooks Brothers suits. We again spotted Mr. Bentley, who said he had enjoyed the show.

"You had the Stones, that is significant," Mr. Bentley said. "He spilt red wine on me, but whatever."

Who spilt wine on you? we asked, confused.

"What's his name - the guitarist from the Stones," Mr. Bentley said. "His goddaughter, what's her name, introduced us."

Was he referring to KEITH RICHARDS's daughter ALEXANDRA?

"Yeah, he didn't know who I was," Mr. Bentley said. "She said to him, 'You got to meet the No. 1 gentleman.' Then we started talking. Then he spilt a glass of red wine on me and her. It went all over my blue corduroy pants and her Marc Jacobs pumps."

"I cleaned them for her," Mr. Bentley said. "If he wasn't a Stone, I would have put him in a headlock."

You mean you would try to get blood from a Stone?

"Yeah, that's funny," Mr. Bentley said.

Oops, excuse us, we've just received an e-mail message from a Columbia J- School young 'un: Hey, I just finished your column. Wasn't Boldface's new fashion correspondent, GIMM� MUR SCHW�G, supposed to be covering this event?

Our reply: Regrettably, we made the error of sending Ms. Schw�g to cover the Official Talent Gift Lounge, before the Fashion Rocks concert. The gift lounge was produced by On 3 Productions and included a complimentary one-night stay at a W Hotel, a year's Crunch membership, those sorts of things.

Ms. Schw�g did rather well for a while. She followed Ron Wood, who was in turn followed by a tall, attractive woman carrying a black duffle bag. Mr. Wood, who introduced himself to each vendor, did not seem pleased to see a reporter trailing him with a tape recorder. He examined the Invicta watches as closely as if he were going to be paying for them.

"I'll take that," he said, before tossing the watch in the bag.

At the Rock & Republic denim station, which has jeans and skirts named for rockers, Mr. Wood was told of jeans named for Mr. Stewart. "You gotta get a Stones one or whatever," Mr. Wood said, looking over the $175 jeans again.

Then he moved on down to a jewelry booth.

We have not seen Ms. Schw�g since.

With Cate Doty,

Kari Haskell

and Paula Schwartz

September 14th, 2004 11:39 PM
The Eggman Ronnie Wood can spill red wine on anyone he pleases!

Consider it... his blessing!