ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Thanks to Fabio "hot Stuff"
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Nominees for R&R HoF...2005 Return to archive
September 13th, 2004 08:42 PM
parmeda Grandmaster Flash Nominated for Rock Hall
Mon Sep 13, 2004 - AP

NEW YORK - Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five are among the nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame � the first rap artists to get that distinction � joining U2, Randy Newman and the O'Jays on the ballot.

Getting his start as a DJ at Bronx parties in the late 1970s, Grandmaster Flash later joined with the Furious Five for the social commentary of "The Message" and "White Lines (Don't Don't Do It").

Other nominees include blues guitarist Buddy Guy, rockabilly pioneer Wanda Jackson, rock band the Pretenders, soul singer Percy Sledge, "Centerfold" singers the J. Geils Band and the late country singer Conway Twitty.

Previous nominees on the ballot: the Sex Pistols, Patti Smith, the Stooges, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Gram Parsons.

Singers of "Back Stabbers" and a string of other soulful hits, the O'Jays had their chart heyday in the 1970s. A singer of satirical songs like "Short People," Newman is now one of the Hollywood's most successful composers of movie music.

Musicians, industry professionals and journalists vote, and results of the 20th annual election will likely be announced in December. Artists are eligible to be inducted into the Rock Hall after at least 25 years have passed since their first record was released.
September 13th, 2004 09:34 PM
glencar Gee, so many to choose from. I'll atke Parsons, Flash, Sex & Smith. Not that I like all of them but they all had some impact on pop muzak.
September 13th, 2004 09:46 PM
gypsy Parmy, Conway Twitty used to live in Norman. I used to go to his old house for those FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) deals in high school. It's a bad ass house, and the meetings were held in what used to be his recording studio. My girlfriends and I would only go to see the hot OU Football players.
September 13th, 2004 11:01 PM
Soldatti U2 will be in, that's sure...
September 14th, 2004 01:09 PM
Martha Thanks Pam! I hadn't seen this announcement yet.
September 14th, 2004 01:13 PM
jb Conway Twitty had a great Jew-fro!!!!
September 14th, 2004 01:15 PM
steel driving hammer Will Mick Taylor be Nominated?
September 14th, 2004 01:16 PM
Nellcote J. Geils needs to be in the HOF....
As does Lynyrd Skynyrd...
September 14th, 2004 02:09 PM
parmeda
quote:
Martha wrote:
Thanks Pam! I hadn't seen this announcement yet.

Martha, I'm pulling for Buddy to make it in...for obvious reasons, lol

If he happens to be an inductee, his club will be on fire in January...he always books himself for the entire month (yay!) I'll be out scouting for tickets!

Hey jb...Buddy's going to be in your neck of the woods in November on the 20th (Riverwalk Blues Fest in Ft. Laud.). Check him out...I insist! And don't give me any crap that you don't do fests, lol. Lighten up a little, will ya!
September 14th, 2004 02:28 PM
egon grandmaster flash nominated for the "ROCK & ROLL" hall of fame...?

wtf?!
September 14th, 2004 02:50 PM
telecaster At this rate my garage band from college will be nominated
in 2011
September 14th, 2004 02:58 PM
parmeda tele, come to Buddy Guy's with me in January.
September 14th, 2004 03:03 PM
telecaster
quote:
parmeda wrote:
tele, come to Buddy Guy's with me in January.

Done. Can we do the Chess studio tour also?
September 14th, 2004 03:04 PM
parmeda It's a done deal, babe!
Haven't you ever been there?
September 14th, 2004 08:07 PM
Soldatti
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Will Mick Taylor be Nominated?

Yes, on year 2050...
September 14th, 2004 08:37 PM
LadyJane Hmmmmm..my crystal ball predicts U2, Buddy Guy, Percy Sledge, The Pretenders and Flash. Toss up between Twitty and Jackson.

Once again, Patti, the Pistols and the Stooges will be overlooked.

LJ.
September 14th, 2004 09:22 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Once again, Patti, the Pistols and the Stooges will be overlooked<

Good.

The R&RHOF has nothing to do with Rock & Roll anyhow.
September 14th, 2004 09:39 PM
Mr Hess Wanda Jackson!!
I havent heard her name in years!!

September 16th, 2004 04:52 AM
Zack >J. Geils needs to be in the HOF....

For my personal edification, please name one album or even song the J. Geils band has done to warrant inclusion in any hall of fame.
September 16th, 2004 04:56 AM
Zack Oh wait, I see you are from Boston, Nelly.I believe they are as well. That explains your post. My question still stands, though.