ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Thanks to Fabio "hot Stuff"
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Taj Mahal @ the RnR Circus Return to archive
September 9th, 2004 10:44 AM
Make It Funky Hi, just wondering what bonus tracks by TajMahal will be included on this upcoming dvd release of the RocknRoll circus??

I quite happened to like the Taj performance, despite many retractors... FYI: saw JET play here in Australia this year,and they did a spectacular version of "Aint That A Lotta Love" in concert from their latest EP (b-side to Cold hard bitch is "Aint that a lotta love").

Cheers
September 9th, 2004 12:16 PM
Nasty Habits Who the hell detracts on that version of "Ain't That a Lot of Love"? That breakdown in the middle is one of the funkiest things ever.

You got to dig it baby!

September 9th, 2004 09:54 PM
Soldatti That song "Ain't That a Lot of Love" is great, I don't know too much material from Mahal, only that and Corinna
September 10th, 2004 12:46 PM
Make It Funky Sol: Ah well...dude, you seriously owe it to yourself and your musical soul to check Taj out. I think it was around '68 or '69 when he came out with his famous "Giant Steps" or the "Natch'l Blues" that put him on the map from playing the Whiskey in Hollywood.

The Allman Brothers (expatriate Floridians) covered a great rendition of Mahals' cover-version of the same song.
The Blues Brothers also covered Taj's original composition "She Caught the Katy (and left me a mule to ride)" in 1980. You may also know "Chevrolet" and "Leavin' Trunk" that the Black Crowes have covered.

I saw him in Toronto a few years ago, and recently here in Australia at the Byron Bay blues festival, and he puts on such an slutty bump n' grind funky blues perforance - Hawaiian shirt and straw sombrero included with no charge! haha. But he always seems to open up with that old Bill Doggett tune, "Honky Tonks Pt. 1 and 2". A very caj show at best. (cas = casual).

Check him out. He plays in plenty of jerk-off towns and tertiary cities in USA and Canada all year 'round. Enjoy!

Cheers!
September 10th, 2004 01:08 PM
Make It Funky Oops! The Allman Brothers covered "Statesboro Blues" at the Fillmore East, when they recorded it for the famous "live at the fillmore" from March 1971. Check that out too if you get the time. (33 minute version of Donovan's "Mountain [jam] Song". hahah

Cheers matey.
September 10th, 2004 07:23 PM
Soldatti Thanks for the info.
September 10th, 2004 07:37 PM
kath i have a great taj mahal show story...from YEARS ago...probably 1977 or so. we were at the armadillo world headquarters (now defunct,sadly) and taj was playin...he was smacked up of course. but we expected that. we were sitting in folding chairs for the show, and at the first chair in our row, somebody had a shitload of coke. he'd fill up the spoon and send it down the row...we'd all take a snort and pass it down...when it was empty, we'd send the spoon back and he'd fill it back up again....it went on all night....

what a night. and taj was good, too.....
jeezuz, i dunno how any of us got home that night...
September 11th, 2004 10:07 AM
Taptrick

You have got to see Taj live. I saw him 2 years ago at Humphrey's in SanDiego with his Hula Blues band. They use some weird Hawaiian slack key tuning. Saw him recently at The BElly Up in Solano Beach. He played as a 3-piece band - more traditional blues. I love his version of Wild Ox Moan. He usually does a blues cruise once a year too. It's a yacht cruise in the caribean with a bunch of blues artist. They play all day and all night with impromptu jam sesssions. I think Susan Tedesci (spell?) was also on the last one. At most shows if you hang around long enough they let those who wait backstage for a brief hello or to get a photo or something signed. Current schedule:
� September, 2004

� 2004, September 16

Arlington, Massachusetts, The Regent Theatre
Band: The Taj Mahal Trio

� 2004, September 18

New York, NY, Columbia University

� 2004, September 19

Pittsburgh, PA , Three Rivers Music Festival- Byham Theatre

� 2004, September 20

Edinboro, Pennsylvania , Edinboro University

� October, 2004

� 2004, October 15

Santa Barbara, California, Lobero Theatre

� 2004, October 16

Sacramento, California, The Crest Theatre

� 2004, October 17

Paradise, California, Paradise Performing Arts Center

� 2004, October 18

Healdsburg, California , The Raven Theatre

� 2004, October 25

New York, NY, Lincoln Center
Band: Taj Mahal, Randy Weston, Corey Harris, M. Diabate, Abdou M�Boup

� November, 2004

� 2004, November 06

Oakland, California , Paramount Theatre

� 2004, November 19

Seattle, Washington , Jazz Alley

� 2004, November 20

Seattle, Washington, Jazz Alley

� 2004, November 21

� 2004, November 22

� 2004, November 23

� 2004, November 24

Band: Taj Mahal Trio

� 2004, November 25

� 2004, November 26

� 2004, November 27

� 2004, November 28

September 11th, 2004 11:48 AM
kath he's amazing.....seems like he must be about a thousand years old....
September 11th, 2004 10:15 PM
Soldatti
quote:
kath wrote:
he's amazing.....seems like he must be about a thousand years old....

Or more...
September 12th, 2004 01:03 AM
Taptrick
September 12th, 2004 07:21 AM
Make It Funky Kath:

Hey.. that Taj story you posted was hillarious!! Thanks for the laugh. Great story too!

Cheers