ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Gillette Stadium, Foxboro MA - September 20, 2006
© Jessica Rinaldi
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Elmore James appreciation thread Return to archive
17th September 2006 10:39 AM
Starbuck

"I practiced twelve hours a day, every day, until my fingers were bleeding, trying to get the same sound as Elmore James. This went on for weeks and weeks, and finally someone told me, 'He plays with a slide.'"
- Robbie Robertson, at the 1992 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony honoring Elmore James

"Elmore kept playing the same lick over and over, but I get the feeling he meant it."
- Frank Zappa

James was born Elmore Brooks in Richland, Mississippi, 50 miles north of Jackson (not to be confused with another Richland just south of Jackson). He began playing as a teen, under the names "Cleanhead" and "Joe Willie James", alongside musicians such as the first Sonny Boy Williamson, Howlin' Wolf, and Robert Johnson. During World War II James joined the United States Navy and was stationed in Guam.

Upon his discharge Elmore returned to central Mississippi and eventually settled in Canton. He began recording with Trumpet Records in nearby Jackson in January 1951, first as sideman to the second Sonny Boy Williamson and others, then debuting as a session leader in August with what became his signature song, "Dust My Broom". It was a surprise R&B hit in 1952 and turned James into a star. His "I Believe" was another hit a year later. During the 1950s he recorded for the Bihari Brothers' Flair and Modern labels, as well as for Chess Records. His backing musicians were known as the Broomdusters. In 1959 he began recording what are perhaps his best sides for Bobby Robinson's Fire Records label. These include "The Sky Is Crying" (credited to Elmo James and His Broomdusters), "Stranger Blues", "Look On Yonder Wall", "Done Somebody Wrong", and "Shake Your Moneymaker", all of which are among the most famous of blues recordings.

The slide guitar riff from "Dust My Broom" is one of the best-known openings in all of blues. It is essentially the same riff that appears in the recording of the same song by Robert Johnson, but James plays that riff with electric slide guitar. It was even transformed into a doo-wop chorus on Jesse Stone's "Down in the Alley", recorded by The Clovers and Elvis Presley. Stone transcribed the riff as:

"Changety changety changety changety chang chang!"

Elmore James died of his third heart attack in Chicago in 1963, already a major influence on guitarists such as The Rolling Stones' Brian Jones and Fleetwood Mac's Jeremy Spencer. His classic "Done Somebody Wrong" and "One Way Out" were often covered by The Allman Brothers Band, who cited James as a major influence. James was also covered by blues-rock band Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble many times in concert. The most famous of these covers is Vaughan's take on James's legendary recording, "The Sky Is Crying". James is mentioned in The Beatles' song "For You Blue". While John Lennon plays the slide guitar, James' trademark, George Harrison says "Go, Johnny, go ... Elmore James got nothin' on this, baby." Another famous guitarist who admired Elmore James was Jimi Hendrix. On a sleeve of the posthumously released Hendrix CD Blues, there is a photo of Hendrix wearing his famous military jacket and holding Elmore James's vinyl. St. Louis blues guitarist, writer, and singer Howard "Sonny" Robertson has been greatly influenced by James.

His older cousin "Homesick" James Williamson is also a successful blues musician and still performs throughout the United States

[Edited by Starbuck]
17th September 2006 11:26 AM
Sir Stonesalot I appreciate Elmore James.

Madison Blues is one of my all-time fave songs...

AND

Elmore James is one of my MySpace friends.

Thanks for showing Big E some love Bucky!
17th September 2006 01:30 PM
Steel Wheels Elmore James got the real blues sound just like John Lee. Great read - thanks!
17th September 2006 04:41 PM
WJ Hey, I just bought a copy of the Elmore James "Dust My Broom" release under the Trumpet label. Pretty decent condition, considering it's from 1951.
17th September 2006 05:34 PM
Water Dragon Fantastic thread..."The sky is crying, look at the tears roll down the street." is one of the best lines of poetry to be found in any century!

W.D.
17th September 2006 10:16 PM
jpenn11 A giant among giants.. Great idea for a thread.

quote:
Starbuck wrote:
The slide guitar riff from "Dust My Broom" is one of the best-known openings in all of blues. It is essentially the same riff that appears in the recording of the same song by Robert Johnson, but James plays that riff with electric slide guitar. [Edited by Starbuck]

The sources I am familiar with claim the riff was done with an electrified acoustic, as you see on two of the three pix with guitar above. Some also claim the Dust My Broom song was original to E James.

Incidentally, as someone who is a fan of Hutto and Hound Dog Taylor, who has heard much of Jeremy Spenser, etc., for me only Mick Taylor comes close to what E James did on slide. Of course, there are alot of fine slide players out there . . .

17th September 2006 10:28 PM
GotToRollMe "Changety changety changety changety chang chang," indeed!
Along with Robert Johnson and a few others, one of the greats, and one of the originals. Great read, thanks!

17th September 2006 11:09 PM
Nasty Habits Don't write no letter,
stay away from your telephone
I need you person to person,
bring your little fine self on home
Don't sent me no message,
you know I'm all alone

Ain't no use to telephonin' me
I can't love no telephone
All the time you're telephonin' me
you could be coming home, ooh baby
Don't call me on the phone,

Ooh yeah, babe, don't talk to me on the phone,
I need you person to person
Bring your little fine self on home
Ain't no use to telephonin' me,
I can't love no telephone
All the time you're telephonin' me,
you could be coming home, ooh baby
Don't call me on the phone,

Ain't no use to sent no letter,
I can't hold no paper tight
Ain't no use to sent no message,
it can't talk to me all night
Ooh baby, don't call me on the telephone,
17th September 2006 11:42 PM
Zack Elmore rules.

Among my favorites: "Sho' 'Nuff I Do."

One morning, one morning
When I came in
I found my baby
She was making friends.
Yes, but I love her
Oh yes, I lover her
Sho' 'nuff I do

In it, the famous slide riff is deconstructed and weaving in and out of the verses, oozing the pain of his faithless love. That be the blues, people.
18th September 2006 07:38 PM
Starbuck Shake Your Money Maker: Elmore's best tune?
18th September 2006 08:09 PM
WJ
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
Shake Your Money Maker: Elmore's best tune?

No, My Best Friend is his best.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)