ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Gillette Stadium, Foxboro MA - September 20, 2006
© Jessica Rinaldi
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Who In Boston Return to archive Page: 1 2
17th September 2006 12:31 AM
lotsajizz I just got back from da Gahden where the Who put on a rip-roarin' show! We got in as the opener was finishing, don't know who they were, they were roundly booed. 8:30, the lights go down and the Two and supporting cast stride onstage--our seats in the balcony, Pete-side of the stage with uniterrupted sight lines. 'I Can't Explain' 'The Seeker' and 'Anyway Anyhow Anywhere' open it up. Strong, well-played, Roger in good voice and Zak really kickin' it in the latter song's rave-up meltdown section. Then the song finishes and Pete says 'hi'. He announces that just before he went on stage he received a cell phone call from Mick, who's "in town". Mick passed along that "he can't wait to see" all of us (in New England)!! Mick was said to have apologized for not seeing the Who show but supposedly Keith would not let him out of rehearsals! They promised to get together tomorrow and Pete told us Mick said "break a fuckin' leg, mate!". Anyway, on with the show...Baba O'Riley next--goose bumps as the familiar chorus and climax has 16,000 joining in. Then came the new stuff, the mini-opera....some rocks, some doesn't...some is good, none is bad....all played a tad tentatively; redeemed by Zak Starkey at all times--the Greatest Living Drummer. 'Wire And Glass' definitely has potential and I hope they can work it out on tour. 'Real Good Looking Boy' then more hits, 'Who Are You', 'Eminence Front', 'You Better You Bet', 'Behind Blue Eyes' 'My Generation'...all done superbly....Roger a touch ragged but loud and powerful, Pino thundering along with runs, Starkey bish-bashing away in time, and Simon and Rabbit adding their flourishes. The band is in tip-top form on its "oldies". Pete was jammin' away as ever, maximum r&b with maximum distortion. Indeed, this was one of the louder shows I've seen in years. Pete gave only a few of his normally endless raps between songs and kept it short and dropped lots of f-bombs. A surprise was the jammin' rendition of 'Cry If You Want' out of the ashes of 'My Generation'!! Roger sang it superbly, almost rapping it out over a triple time backing and Pete really crankin' it to "11"!! The show built to the inevitable 'Won't Get Fooled Again'. It was one of the best versions I've seen them do and Roger absolutely friggin' nailed the final scream
"Yeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!"

....the encore was 'Pinball Wizard' (Roger starts tossing the mike around more), 'Amazing Journey' (with lyrics and a slightly altered arrangement), a 'Sparks' that just crunched ya to the bone, a brief and savage 'Captain Walker' rap from Pete, 'See Me Feel Me', and then a last one, a duet between Roger and Pete alone, Pete on acoustic....very nice song....wish I knew wtf it was....did not sound like 'Man In Purple Dress' which is also in that configuration; but I've only heard even that one only a few times so I can't be sure 'till I see a formal setlist...maybe it was...

Some general impressions...they are as good as the '02 Tour maybe better with Pino better intergrated, not afraid to add new material...even the last song was new!!! Pino is an excellent bassist and made the solo on 'My Generation' his own. The six strong band was a good number as elsewhere noted by other posters. Pete's in good spirits, the new tunes WILL improve. Pino all in black stands with Simon off in the back and rarely gets a stage light. Roger wore jeans a blue t-shirt, Pete had black trousers and a black t-shirt, replaced by a white one for the encore set, Zak was in an Edwardian suit, then took off his coat and had some mod-striped shirt for the balance of the show...great light show, no lasers or explosions or flying pigs or inflatable whores...little security...you could carefully grab a puff or two when needed. The crowd seems a tad older than a Stones crowd in America....they were fairly subdued during the new songs, many went on beer runs, but many were just listening attentively.....

...and gotta love the Jagger name drop by Pete

[Edited by lotsajizz]
17th September 2006 12:33 AM
Dan
quote:
We got in as the opener was finishing, don't know who they were, they were roundly booed

Nice they can actually get a reaction out of the complacent old fucks who attend these kind of shows. Good job Mike!
17th September 2006 05:10 AM
Jumping Jack Pete was also quoted as saying he is going to kick ass when he get to Omaha.

17th September 2006 09:59 AM
lotsajizz media reviews...

BY RICK MASSIMO
Providence Journal Pop Music Writer

BOSTON --

No band has been more devoted disciples, and evangelists, of what my pal Jim Slade calls The Power and Glory of Rock (the capital letters there are critical) than The Who. It's true that last night at the TD Banknorth Garden, in front of a sold-out crowd of 14,473, they were in their dotage, with only two original members left -- singer Roger Daltrey looking like a slightly hip grandpa and Pete Townshend as a slightly batty uncle, hectoring the crowd and not jumping nearly as high as he used to. (And they've got Townshend's brother, Simon, to help with guitar and especially backing vocals.) Somehow, that only added to the nobility of what they were trying to achieve.

And for the most part achieved. Their evergreen set opener, "I Can't Explain," was a little sluggish, but the rest of their classics from the '60s and '70s were as rampaging as ever. Daltrey's howl, which virtually invented classic rock, is still in good shape, and Townshend still manages to simultaneously attack his guitar and play more complex chords and structures than 90 percent of what's out there today.

The Who have a new record (The Endless Wire) coming out next month, and the songs they've released in the past couple of years stoked as much trepidation as anticipation. (One of those songs, "Real Good Looking Boy," was played last night, and its puzzling mix of Elvis Presley tribute and self-help narrative of learning to accept oneself is still befuddling.)

But a good percentage of the new stuff they played last night holds up. "Fragments" was a little too Power-and-Glory for its own good, drowning in its majesty and reminiscent of the less satisfactory aspects of Townshend's solo work. But "Sound Round," "Pick Up the Piece" and "We Got a Hit," three of the songs thrown together in a mini-set in the middle of the show, managed the balance of mature lyricism and pure rock kick. And "Tea and Theatre," the last encore, was a sweet if sentimental Daltrey-Townshend duet.

On both the new and the classic, drummer Zak Starkey was the not-so-secret weapon. With Starkey (son of Ringo Starr), the group has finally adequately filled the void left by the death of Keith Moon in 1979. Starkey's playing was an exemplary mix of Moon's freneticism mixed with rhythmic solidity. On "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere" he equaled Moon's bombast; on "Who Are You" he easily topped Moon's recorded performance (done shortly before his death and betraying his depleted condition).

Bassist Pino Palladino, taking over from the deceased John Entwistle, wasn't as successful, lacking Entwistle's growling, in-your-face tone.

The axis around which The Who revolve is Daltrey's leather-lunged voice and Townshend's propulsive guitar, and on classic anthems such as "Baba O'Riley" (with a Daltrey harmonica solo) and the encores "Amazing Journey/Sparks" and "See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Heal Me," both from Tommy, one of rock's great combinations was still Powerful and Glorious.

......OK, I now know the last song's name "Tea and Theater"

and the opener was "The Dub Trio"...they were no trio, they had multiple rappers, backing singers, and worst of all, a DJ with dueling turntables....bleeeeech!!

17th September 2006 01:23 PM
sirmoonie Great review - The Who!
17th September 2006 01:29 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
I just got back from da Gahden where the Who put on a rip-roarin' show! We got in as the opener was finishing, don't know who they were, they were roundly booed. 8:30, the lights go down and the Two and supporting cast stride onstage--our seats in the balcony, Pete-side of the stage with uniterrupted sight lines. 'I Can't Explain' 'The Seeker' and 'Anyway Anyhow Anywhere' open it up. Strong, well-played, Roger in good voice and Zak really kickin' it in the latter song's rave-up meltdown section. Then the song finishes and Pete says 'hi'. He announces that just before he went on stage he received a cell phone call from Mick, who's "in town". Mick passed along that "he can't wait to see" all of us (in New England)!! Mick was said to have apologized for not seeing the Who show but supposedly Keith would not let him out of rehearsals! They promised to get together tomorrow and Pete told us Mick said "break a fuckin' leg, mate!". Anyway, on with the show...Baba O'Riley next--goose bumps as the familiar chorus and climax has 16,000 joining in. Then came the new stuff, the mini-opera....some rocks, some doesn't...some is good, none is bad....all played a tad tentatively; redeemed by Zak Starkey at all times--the Greatest Living Drummer. 'Wire And Glass' definitely has potential and I hope they can work it out on tour. 'Real Good Looking Boy' then more hits, 'Who Are You', 'Eminence Front', 'You Better You Bet', 'Behind Blue Eyes' 'My Generation'...all done superbly....Roger a touch ragged but loud and powerful, Pino thundering along with runs, Starkey bish-bashing away in time, and Simon and Rabbit adding their flourishes. The band is in tip-top form on its "oldies". Pete was jammin' away as ever, maximum r&b with maximum distortion. Indeed, this was one of the louder shows I've seen in years. Pete gave only a few of his normally endless raps between songs and kept it short and dropped lots of f-bombs. A surprise was the jammin' rendition of 'Cry If You Want' out of the ashes of 'My Generation'!! Roger sang it superbly, almost rapping it out over a triple time backing and Pete really crankin' it to "11"!! The show built to the inevitable 'Won't Get Fooled Again'. It was one of the best versions I've seen them do and Roger absolutely friggin' nailed the final scream
"Yeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!"

....the encore was 'Pinball Wizard' (Roger starts tossing the mike around more), 'Amazing Journey' (with lyrics and a slightly altered arrangement), a 'Sparks' that just crunched ya to the bone, a brief and savage 'Captain Walker' rap from Pete, 'See Me Feel Me', and then a last one, a duet between Roger and Pete alone, Pete on acoustic....very nice song....wish I knew wtf it was....did not sound like 'Man In Purple Dress' which is also in that configuration; but I've only heard even that one only a few times so I can't be sure 'till I see a formal setlist...maybe it was...

Some general impressions...they are as good as the '02 Tour maybe better with Pino better intergrated, not afraid to add new material...even the last song was new!!! Pino is an excellent bassist and made the solo on 'My Generation' his own. The six strong band was a good number as elsewhere noted by other posters. Pete's in good spirits, the new tunes WILL improve. Pino all in black stands with Simon off in the back and rarely gets a stage light. Roger wore jeans a blue t-shirt, Pete had black trousers and a black t-shirt, replaced by a white one for the encore set, Zak was in an Edwardian suit, then took off his coat and had some mod-striped shirt for the balance of the show...great light show, no lasers or explosions or flying pigs or inflatable whores...little security...you could carefully grab a puff or two when needed. The crowd seems a tad older than a Stones crowd in America....they were fairly subdued during the new songs, many went on beer runs, but many were just listening attentively.....

...and gotta love the Jagger name drop by Pete

[Edited by lotsajizz]

great review
i would like to c this show but it is probably not going to happen
i spent my moo la on the stoners

i t sounds like u had fun
17th September 2006 02:45 PM
Dan
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

and the opener was "The Dub Trio"...they were no trio, they had multiple rappers, backing singers, and worst of all, a DJ with dueling turntables....bleeeeech!!

It was Peeping Tom though Dub Trio is part of the touring lineup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peeping_Tom_%28album%29

Peeping Tom is a collaboration album by Mike Patton. It was released May 30, 2006 on Patton's own record label, Ipecac Recordings. The set was pieced together by swapping song files through the mail with collaborators like Norah Jones, Kool Keith and Massive Attack.

"I don't listen to the radio, but if I did, this is what I'd want it to sound like," Patton says of the project. "This is my version of pop music. In a way, this is an exercise for me: taking all these things I've learned over the years and putting them into a pop format."

The first single from the self titled record is “Mojo”. It is accompanied by a music video featuring appearances by Danny DeVito, Mark Hoppus (blink-182), Rachel Hunter as well as song collaborators Dan the Automator and Rahzel. The video was created by music video director Matt McDermitt.

Work on Peeping Tom began in 2000, but faced constant interruptions to accommodate Patton's recording or touring work with other bands and side projects including two feature film scores and a film acting debut in Firecracker. Over this six year period, enough material was written for a second and possible third album.

In April 2005, Patton decided to scrap the Peeping Tom project, which was originally planned to be produced solely by Dan the Automator, stating "It's just turning into a lot of work, and it's too difficult to keep everyone up to speed." The project was later revived.

The band made their public debut on Late Night with Conan O'Brien on May 26, 2006. The group performed the song "Mojo," which, according to literal interpretation, is from the perspective of a drug addict. Alongside Patton, the other musicians involved were Rahzel, Dan The Automator, Rob Swift, Dub Trio and guest vocalist Imani Coppola.

For the week ending June 17, 2006, Peeping Tom was the top debut on the Billboard 200 albums chart, appearing at #103 with 10,000 units shipped. This is the highest-ever entry on this chart for the Ipecac Recordings label.

Contents [hide]
1 Tracklist
2 Chart positions
3 Trivia
4 External links

[edit]
Tracklist
"Five Seconds" (Featuring Odd Nosdam) - 4:20
"Mojo" (Featuring Rahzel and Dan The Automator) - 3:40
"Don't Even Trip" (Featuring Amon Tobin) - 5:46
"Getaway" (Featuring Kool Keith) - 3:22
"Your Neighborhood Spaceman" (Featuring Jel and Odd Nosdam) - 5:45
"Kill The DJ" (Featuring Massive Attack) - 4:09
"Caipirinha" (Featuring Bebel Gilberto) - 2:46
"Celebrity Death Match" (Featuring Kid Koala) - 3:42
"How U Feelin?" (Featuring Doseone) - 2:44
"Sucker" (Featuring Norah Jones) - 2:33
"We're Not Alone (Remix)" (Featuring Dub Trio) - 5:10
[edit]
Chart positions
Year Album Chart (Billboard, North America) Position
2006 Peeping Tom Billboard 200 103
2006 Peeping Tom Top Heatseekers 1
2006 Peeping Tom Top Independent Albums 3
Date Single Chart (Billboard, North America) Peak Position
9/9/06 Mojo Modern Rock Tracks 40
[edit]
Trivia
The album, and the band, are said to be named after Michael Powell's 1960 film Peeping Tom which Patton has often mentioned liking.
Peeping Tom is currently opening several dates for the Classic Rock group The Who during their 2006 North American Tour. No one is quite sure why.
[edit]
External links
Ipecac Recordings
http://www.myspace.com/peepingtomispatton
[2] Photos of Peeping Tom's first European show
Peeping Tom Artist Commentary
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peeping_Tom_%28album%29"
Category: 2006 albums

17th September 2006 02:54 PM
lotsajizz well, there you...I stand corrected (again)...thanks Dan

btw, setlist

I Can't Explain, The Seeker, Anyway Anyhow Anywhere, Fragments, Who Are You, Behind Blue Eyes, Real Good Looking Boy, Sound Round, Pick Up The Peace, Endless Wire, We Got A Hit, They Made My Dream Come True, Mirror Door, Baba O'Riley, Eminence Front, Black Widow Eyes, You Better You Bet, My Generation, Won't Get Fooled Again, Pinball Wizard, Amazing Journey, Sparks, See Me Feel Me, Tea And Theater
17th September 2006 06:07 PM
Joey
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
well, there you...I stand corrected (again)...thanks Dan

btw, setlist

I Can't Explain, The Seeker, Anyway Anyhow Anywhere, Fragments, Who Are You, Behind Blue Eyes, Real Good Looking Boy, Sound Round, Pick Up The Peace, Endless Wire, We Got A Hit, They Made My Dream Come True, Mirror Door, Baba O'Riley, Eminence Front, Black Widow Eyes, You Better You Bet, My Generation, Won't Get Fooled Again, Pinball Wizard, Amazing Journey, Sparks, See Me Feel Me, Tea And Theater

Wonderful Review ....

Outstanding Set List

Thanks Jizzy

I can not wait for the Omaha gig ( I got my tickets Friday --- one full week before they go on sale to the public )

YES !!!!!!!!
17th September 2006 06:27 PM
lotsajizz my pleasure Joey, you are very welcome...I hope you have a great time!!
17th September 2006 07:09 PM
Joey
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
my pleasure Joey, you are very welcome...I hope you have a great time!!

I can not wait until December 7th ( Day of Infamy ) .

www.longliverock.org

[Edited by Joey]
17th September 2006 11:05 PM
*ginda Excellent review! I felt excitement at your feet.
18th September 2006 05:10 AM
Jumping Jack Kins, where are your seats?
18th September 2006 09:31 AM
Joey
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Kins, where are your seats?

Lower Bowl -- Section 103 , Row 4 --- RIGHT in front of Pete Townshend .

http://www.qwestcenter.com/default.asp?lnopt=12&sn1opt=1&sn2opt=1&sn3opt=1&bldgopt=1&month=9&year=2006&newsID=0

YES !!!!!

www.omahameca.com

kins.

18th September 2006 12:16 PM
Saint Sway damn, Mick should of went to the show....

and hopped onstage for the encore!!!!
18th September 2006 12:19 PM
Joey
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
damn, Mick should of went to the show....

and hopped onstage for the encore!!!!

Amen !!!

Pete loves the Rolling Stones .

EVERYBODY loves the Rolling Stones .

Kins ( He just loves .. )
18th September 2006 12:29 PM
jb 14k plus=real sellout-not the 12,500 Stones had..Boston hates the Stones and loves the Who.
18th September 2006 12:32 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Joey wrote:
Pete loves the Rolling Stones .

its a man crush

he's always lusted for Mick, no?
18th September 2006 12:34 PM
Dan
quote:
jb wrote:
14k plus=real sellout-not the 12,500 Stones had..Boston hates the Stones and loves the Who.

There is probably a good reason for that.
18th September 2006 12:35 PM
Saint Sway how was Maiden?
18th September 2006 12:35 PM
jb The Who is O.K.-nothing remotely as good as the Stones..but a very good time for them to be back on the road....
18th September 2006 12:36 PM
Dan
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
how was Maiden?

October 21st! Only lawn left. New album is good though.
18th September 2006 12:38 PM
Jumping Jack JB, Omaha will sell out, you should go party with The Joey!
18th September 2006 12:41 PM
jb
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
JB, Omaha will sell out, you should go party with The Joey!

I invited him to Sunrise, but he will never leave nebraska.
18th September 2006 12:44 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Dan wrote:

October 21st! Only lawn left. New album is good though.

I'm fairly confident you will get a ticket - cheap. $10 and the seller will throw in a warm pretzel.

do many Maiden fans love the Stones?

18th September 2006 12:47 PM
lotsajizz when Pete told the crowd about Mick saying 'break a fuckin' leg, mate!', Roger muttered, 'he means it literally, Pete!'.....laughter all around.

The Who respects and likes the Stones. The Stones like and respect the Who. You should do the same , counsellor.

18th September 2006 12:50 PM
jb
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
when Pete told the crowd about Mick saying 'break a fuckin' leg, mate!', Roger muttered, 'he means it literally, Pete!'.....laughter all around.

The Who respects and likes the Stones. The Stones like and respect the Who. You should do the same , counsellor.

Like the Who and shall see them down here-never been on the levelof Stones, but they are very good. Boston has chosen the WHo over the Stones and a 1/2 empty stadium is the thanks they get ...never again should they ever play Boston...never..
18th September 2006 12:59 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
jb wrote:
never again should they ever play Boston...never..

Cohl plans to squeeze in 3 more Boston dates in Jan/Feb 07

"Hot Seats".... $650 per, plus the auto-renewed $100 "Legacy" 2007 Fan Club Memership (includes access to "Virtual Ticket"!!! Fans can view set lists and pictures!)

should be a breeze selling these. Mick promises to play Start Me Up!!
18th September 2006 01:00 PM
jb
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

Cohl plans to squeeze in 3 more Boston dates in Jan/Feb 07

"Hot Seats".... $650 per, plus the auto-renewed $100 "Legacy" 2007 Fan Club Memership (includes access to "Virtual Ticket"!!! Fans can view set lists and pictures!)

should be a breeze selling these. Mick promises to play Start Me Up!!

Too many shows in this area ....no decent albums/singles, people board with same old show.
18th September 2006 01:01 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
jb wrote:

Too many shows in this area ....no decent albums/singles, people board with same old show.

gee... ya think?
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)