ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Gillette Stadium, Foxboro MA - September 20, 2006
© Jessica Rinaldi
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Quest to keep rock 'n' roll vibrant brings Little Steven to Beachland Return to archive
15th September 2006 09:31 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Quest to keep rock 'n' roll vibrant brings Little Steven to Beachland

Friday, September 15, 2006
John Petkovic
Cleveland Plains Dealer

TV stars on hit shows find all kinds of ways to kill time when they're not taping their scenes on the set.

Some fuss over their makeup. Others get all prima donna on those beneath them, which, depending on the star, can include like the entire world.

Steven Van Zandt, aka Silvio of "The Sopranos," spends his downtime planning a World Domination Tour.

"I'm on the set for 14 hours and I'm only filming two hours," he says via phone from Manhattan. "I have to do something to fill the time -- like putting rock 'n' roll back in the culture."

To some, that might sound like a romantic dream from another time and place. They're right, says Van Zandt, who doubles as a guitarist in the E Street Band.

"I realize that I grew up when rock 'n' roll was mainstream music, when the best music being made was also the most popular," he says. "But you know what? It might not ever be that big again, but we can make it significant again."

"Cultural significance" is better left to scholars for debate. But there's no doubt that Van Zandt has made the airwaves, well, more rocking.

In five years, he's turned his Underground Garage into a syndicated staple on American radio. It airs at 10 p.m. Sundays on WNCX FM/98.5.

He's also turned it into a 24/7 channel on Sirius Satellite Radio. Though the New York-based broadcaster doesn't release ratings, "Underground Garage" remains a cornerstone of Sirius' pitch to lure new subscribers.

Much of the Sirius channel's success revolves around its DJs -- a mix of rockers and personalities such as Kim Fowley, Andrew Loog Oldham and Handsome Dick Manitoba and Cleveland's Kid Leo.

Unlike terrestrial radio hosts, the Underground Garagers are able to play their favorite songs and relay their favorite stories.

"I picked them not because they were DJs," says Van Zandt. "I wanted people to provide a content for music, people with personality -- like it used to be."

But "like it used to be" ain't no more.

"I know, sometimes I feel like I'm trying to turn people onto rock 'n' roll in a world that sucks," says Van Zandt. "I'm running in quicksand."

Kind of like a 45 record in a 33 1/3 world?

"Exactly," says Van Zandt. "I've got a million ideas going through my head."

Chief among them is bands, five of which hit the Beachland Ballroom tonight as part of his Underground Garage Rolling Rock and Roll Show. The show features '60s legends the Zombies as well as latter-day acts Mooney Suzuki, Gore Gore Girls, the Woggles and Cleveland's the Vacancies.

"We're going to start doing tours now as part of a larger rock 'n' roll infrastructure," he says. "We hit them on the radio, we hit them in the clubs and we hit them on TV -- we're working on that last one."

Spoken like a rock 'n' roll revolutionary. But one question: Who's "we"?

"Anyone who loves rock 'n' roll is part of this revolution," says Van Zandt. "And while I know this is a slow and steady process, we're winning one step at a time to give the people access to the music."

Viva revolution. Viva rock 'n' roll.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
16th September 2006 12:18 AM
Dan I meant to go to the one at the Avalon but scored a free James Gang ticket and did that instead. The London Quireboys are playing the next Underground Garage show at the Avalon on Oct 4!
16th September 2006 01:24 AM
pdog I missed the SF show, I was so looking forward to it, but not enough time...
I still got Dylan, Rancid and Stones to look forward to in October, not bad at all IMO!
16th September 2006 09:13 AM
Sir Stonesalot I'm skipping it too. I've already seen all the bands on bill, including The Zombies. And I already had tix for 5 other shows in Sept. Just not enough time.

BTW...the guy that wrote that article is the singer for Cleveland band Cobra Verde. Cool band, nice guys.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)