ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Gillette Stadium, Foxboro MA - September 20, 2006
© Jessica Rinaldi
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Marianne Faithfull diagnosed with breast cancer - but prognosis is "excellent" Return to archive
14th September 2006 07:48 AM
Gazza Sixties star Faithfull has cancer

Singer Marianne Faithfull has been diagnosed with breast cancer.

The 59-year-old singer has rescheduled a world tour, which was due to kick-off next month, until next year.

She became a household name in the 1960s, not least because of her relationship with Rolling Stones lead singer Mick Jagger.

"The disease has been quickly discovered by doctors in France," said her publicist. "The prognosis for a return to full health is excellent."

"I have absolute faith and confidence in my fantastic medical team and of course I will be well again, if not better than ever," said Faithfull in a statement.

She's in big fighting mood and determined to beat the cancer,

Rob Partridge, Publicist

"Next year's tour, I want to assure fans, will be one big celebration."

Publicist Rob Partridge said the cancer had been diagnosed at an early stage on Tuesday.

"Obviously she was very upset, but now she's in big fighting mood and determined to beat the cancer," he told BBC Radio Five Live.

The singer is famous for her relationship with Mick Jagger
Faithfull has been a recording artist for four decades, since being discovered by Rolling Stones' manager Andrew Loog Oldham.

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards wrote her first single, As Tears Go By, in 1964.

Faithfull's distinctive gravelly voice won her fans on both sides of the Atlantic, and she scored hits with songs such as Come and Stay With Me and This Little Bird.

She also pursued an acting career, appearing on stage in Chekhov's Three Sisters and taking the lead role in the film Girl On A Motorcycle

But the singer struggled with heroin addiction, which eventually led to a nervous breakdown.

She withdrew from the public eye for the majority of the 1970s, but she re-emerged with the punk-inspired album Broken English in 1979.

The ex-convent schoolgirl has since established herself as a sophisticated chanteuse, winning critical acclaim for her 1997 collection of Berlin ballads, 20th Century Blues.

An autobiography, Faithfull, was published in 1994, in which the singer recalled her failed romance with Jagger.

"The most that you can expect from a relationship that goes bad is to come out of it with a few good songs," she wrote.

Faithfull's most recent album was a greatest hits compilation, released in 2005.

She also plays a role in Sofia Coppola's upcoming biopic of Marie Antoinette.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5345326.stm

[Edited by Gazza]
14th September 2006 08:02 AM
LadyJane Oh no!

Fucking cancer. Evil fucking disease

C'mon Marianne.
You are such a strong woman.
Fight and fight hard!
Prayers and good vibes are being sent to you.

LJ.
14th September 2006 08:08 AM
FotiniD Fucking cancer indeed. I don't believe this This shit spreads worse than a flu. Awful, awful disease.

And to Marianne, God dammit?

I'm happy the doctors say the prognosis is excellent. She caught it early enough probably, thank God.

All my best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery. She's a tough one, she'll pull through mighty fine.

"Next year's tour, I want to assure fans, will be one big celebration." I love the girl, she's got such guts.
[Edited by FotiniD]
14th September 2006 09:48 AM
glencar She had beautiful breasts when she was young. This cancer stuff is scary. I hope & pray that she'll make a full recovery. I'd like to see her next tour. I actually have several of her CD's.
14th September 2006 10:24 AM
RedlandsRodge Yeah Marianne's great.

Big love to ya Marianne. Wishing a speedy and full recovery.

Keep visiting http://www.world-of-keith-richards.piczo.com
14th September 2006 11:43 AM
Martha She's a very strong woman and will be fine! I have a good feeling about her. :-)

Is she still keeping a house around Boulder?

Anyone know?

Be well Marianne.

:-)
14th September 2006 12:07 PM
JaggerLips SORRY TO HEAR THIS NEWS, ALL I CAN SAY IS GET WELL SOON MARIANNE!!!
Cancer is getting more and more treatable these days, if the likes of breast cancer are caught early enough then the prognosis is often good. It can be nipped in the bud (no pun intended) Marianne will have the best surgeons so I reckon she will make a full recovery.
Also carry on fighting Miss Kylie Minogue you are dping great!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/14092006/325/marianne-faithfull-breast-cancer.html

Marianne Faithfull has breast cancer
Thursday September 14, 12:54 PM

LONDON (Reuters) - Singer and actress Marianne Faithfull has been diagnosed with breast cancer but expects to make a full recovery, her publicist said on Thursday.

Doctors in France who diagnosed the disease said the cancer was in its earliest stages.

The 59-year-old Faithfull, a former girlfriend of Rolling Stones singer Mick Jagger, has postponed a world tour

ADVERTISEMENT

she was due to start next month.
The singer with the distinctive gravelly voice said in a statement: "I have absolute faith and confidence in my fantastic medical team and of course I will be well again, if not better than ever.

"Next year's tour, I want to assure fans, will be one big celebration," she added.

Her spokesman Rob Partridge said: "The disease has been quickly discovered by doctors in France -- where Marianne stays when not at home in Ireland -- and the prognosis for a return to full health is excellent.

"Indeed, Marianne Faithfull is looking forward to playing the re-scheduled tour in 2007."

Faithfull, the daughter of an Austro-Hungarian Baroness, began her music career in 1964 after being discovered at a Rolling Stones launch party when just 17 years old.

Jagger and fellow Rolling Stone Keith Richards penned her first hit -- "As Tears Go By".

She married artist John Dunbar in 1965 and had a son, but the marriage was short-lived and she began an affair with Jagger that was one of the most notorious and heavily publicised in Swinging Sixties Britain.

Her drug addiction, frankly chronicled later in her autobiography, brought her career grinding to a halt for several years and she ended up living on the streets of London.

Her reputation was firmly re-established in 1979 with the release of the critically acclaimed album "Broken English".

After another bout of addiction, she recovered and re-invented herself in the Eighties as a jazz and blues singer.

Her career was given a further fillip in the Nineties when she performed the works of Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill.

She also carved out an acting career in both films and on stage -- from Ophelia in Hamlet to a leather-clad motorcyclist alongside Alain Delon in the French film "Girl On A Motorcycle".

14th September 2006 12:42 PM
GotToRollMe Ah shit! Poor kid. I can only imagine what she's going through right now. I'm so glad the prognosis is good though, and I hope with all my heart that they caught it in time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Marianne.

She's A Rainbow:

14th September 2006 01:44 PM
jb Prays for Marianne , and all, suffering from this dreadful disease.
14th September 2006 02:06 PM
glencar Broken English!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUT9V3EhC2w&mode=related&search=
14th September 2006 02:59 PM
texile fucking cancer is right.....
it is the evil of the world -
best wishes to marianne...
14th September 2006 05:42 PM
Soldatti Get well Marianne.
14th September 2006 05:47 PM
Flairville Terrible news. Take a leaf from Charlie's book and kick the shit out of it.
14th September 2006 05:50 PM
Gimme Shelter Cancer sucks!!
17th September 2006 05:43 AM
Ten Thousand Motels The Sunday Times - Ireland
The Sunday Times
September 17, 2006

Profile: Wild girl on a motorcycle who refused to grow up
Marianne Faithfull

Wild horses couldn’t drag me away” is a lyric that has survived 40 years and will doubtless survive many more. There can scarcely be a music lover anywhere who is unfamiliar with the Rolling Stones’ chorus. But most of those who sing along will be oblivious to the phrase’s origin.

It came courtesy of a drugs binge/suicide attempt, during which Marianne Faithfull is said to have swallowed 150 barbiturates before slipping into a six-day coma. On waking in a Sydney hospital, she uttered the timeless phrase about wild horses not being able to drag her away.

Of such stuff rock’n’roll legends are born. In Faithfull’s case the story is true, unlike the scurrilously apocryphal tale of her sexual abuse of a Mars bar at a drugs party in Keith Richards’s country house in the 1960s. Faithfull, according to one police officer, let her fur coat slip off to reveal she was naked. The allegation that she was performing an intimate act with a Mars bar was put about by a vindictive colleague, she says.

Whether the wild horses were a metaphor for her drug addiction or her love for Mick Jagger is unclear, but in any assessment of Faithfull’s life and career, drugs and Jagger remain the defining motifs.

She once gave him a book — The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov — which inspired the classic Sympathy for the Devil. In many ways that song title is a neat synopsis of the public’s fascination with Faithfull. Beautiful and talented, it was her devilish flaws, the bacchanalian love of drugs and sex, that endeared us to her.

On Thursday her agent revealed she has breast cancer. She turns 60 in December, but is determined to carry on touring next year. In the myriad news stories reporting the diagnosis, the fact that she still makes a living as a singer shocks more than the tales of her past excess.

Many people can remember her first big hit in 1964 — As Tears Go By penned by Jagger and Richards — but who can remember her last?

She will never be as famous for her strengths as for her weaknesses. She has lived in Ireland since 1990, where she enjoys tax-free earnings on her 20 mostly forgettable albums while escaping the attention of the British paparazzi. But she will spend most of her recuperation in Paris, where she has a home in the upmarket 1st arrondissement.

Her links to Ireland go back to the 1960s, when she spent time with Jagger in his country home. It was there, in 1968, that she miscarried their daughter almost eight months into the pregnancy.

The child was to be called Corrina and the loss left Faithfull permanently scarred. She slumped into depression and her drug use spiralled so far out of control that Jagger threatened to leave her unless she got help.

Faithfull can have few complaints that drugs and sex define her. This, after all, is a woman who publicly regrets not having slept with Bob Dylan when she was heavily pregnant with her first husband’s child. She was 18 at the time and already embarked on the shortest of her three marriages.

The first marriage fell at the first hurdle — Jagger — though in truth it could have been any of the Stones. She bedded three of them and admits to sleeping her way through the 1960s. Afterwards, Faithfull said she’d actually preferred Richards and regretted that her relationship with the guitarist was restricted to a one-night stand. She only started dating Jagger, she said, because Richards told her to.

“It was Keith’s idea that I go with Mick,” she said. “He thought it would be good for the band. And instead of saying, ‘But I love you’, I said, ‘Okay’. I didn’t really love Mick when I was first with him, I was just obeying Keith.”

Her conquests were male and female, a predilection neatly sated when she bedded David Bowie and his wife Angie. In a 2003 interview she admitted she didn’t fancy Brian Jones, but slept with him anyway.

“I was in his flat. I was a pretty girl. He was a Rolling Stone. I thought, ‘I really should let him.’” She told the same interviewer that her greatest regrets were not sleeping with Jimi Hendrix or Dylan, and the former escaped only because she was with Jagger at the time.

Such regrets may not be so far removed from those of your average middle-class girl in her sexual prime during the 1960s. Faithfull was just that. Born in Hampstead in 1946, the daughter of an army major and a baroness mother with traceable if fortune-whittled links to aristocracy, she decided at the age of 19, after reading William S Burroughs’s Naked Lunch, that her life would follow a clear trajectory — that of the libertine.

She was true to her word. Over the next 21 years, when she wasn’t naked, she was out to lunch, in the pejorative sense. “I was meant to go to university, but I read Naked Lunch, began smoking pot and by the age of 24 I was a junkie. As William says, the devil made me do it.”

Her sympathy for the devil saw her addicted to heroin for 15 years. She married the artist John Dunbar in 1965 and had a son, Nicholas, but the marriage was short-lived and she began an affair with Jagger, which ended in 1970.
When he was marrying Bianca on a beach in Saint Tropez in 1971, Faithfull was in a London jail on drugs charges and her life was going into a tailspin from which she did not fully escape until 1986. She spent her late twenties and early thirties living in squats. Her son was taken from her when he was seven and custody given to his father. She sat on a wall in London day after day for two years, stoned out of her mind. “My child was taken away; that was much worse than leaving Mick. When Nicholas was taken away I thought, f*** this, may as well become a junkie. No reason not to, now.”

She was back to where she started at 17: alone. Back then she got her big break when Andrew Loog Oldham, the Rolling Stones manager, signed her up because she was “an angel with big tits”. Now she was down to 7st, minus two front teeth that had been knocked out in a brawl and had taken a razor blade to her face in a deluded attack on the one thing that had never betrayed her: her good looks. She decided they were the root of all her problems, but perhaps her upbringing was more to blame.

She likes to talk in interviews about how her father was a British intelligence officer in the second world war, parachuted into European cities to infiltrate the enemy, using his awesome talent for languages. She talks less about how he left her when she was six and went to live in a commune. Her mother’s links to Austro-Hungarian aristocracy held little water when she went to work as a bus conductor to make ends meet, although Faithfull still retains an aristocratic hauteur.

Her mother found comfort in alcohol and the pathetic detail of her struggle to give it up joins generational dots to Faithfull’s own struggle in later life.

Some rehabilitation came with the critically acclaimed Broken English album in 1979, when her more mature, throaty voice was revealed. She also carved out an acting career in films, most famously as a leather-clad motorcyclist in Girl on a Motorcycle, and on the stage playing Ophelia opposite Nicol Williamson in Hamlet.

By 1986 she finally bottomed out. Six months’ rehab in Minnesota sorted her out and she claims to have been on the straight and narrow ever since. As with so much of Faithfull’s life, there are shades of grey.

Inevitably, for someone interminably linked with the excesses of 40 years ago, the record of her life seems somehow scratched, the needle returning almost involuntarily to the things that most define her: drugs and the Swinging Sixties.

Even her rehab in America was laced with an almost comical morbidity. She started an affair with a fellow addict, who threw himself to his death out of a 36th-floor window when she ended their liaison. Her hero, Burroughs, would have empathised.

She claims only to smoke the occasional reefer now, but when her great friend Kate Moss embarked on her own spiral towards rehab in Arizona, Faithfull was frequently at her side. They are said to share more than a common interest in Marlboro Lights.

She has rebuilt her relationship with her son. Until he was 15 she wasn’t allowed to see him on her own. She is now a doting grandmother and has toned down her dress and haughtiness. Gone are the fishnet tights she wore until her mid-fifties.

What does the future hold for this woman trapped in the past? Her battle with breast cancer should spark a Kyliesque revival of interest, if only in new editions of her 1994 autobiography. She’s already dished the dirt on Jagger, depicting him as a snob who craved the knighthood he eventually was given. So she will have to concentrate on what she has proved most adept at: survival.

“I thought my life was over at 23 when the Sixties ended and my relationship with Mick also ended,” she said. “Even now people want to keep me frozen in that decade. People can’t or won’t see that you can change and grow up.”

The truth, though, is that most of us aren’t that interested in the grown-up Faithfull. Her appeal has always lain in her childish excess, and wild horses still can’t drag us away.

17th September 2006 11:02 AM
LadyJane What a incredibly sad story.

Dancing with the Devil may feel like utopia...but in the end...it all comes crashing down.

Stay strong, Marianne.

You have many kindred spirits who are sending good thoughts your way.

LJ.
17th September 2006 11:32 AM
Sir Stonesalot Best wishes on the fight of her life.

Beat it Marianne! Beat that cancer like a rented mule....
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)