ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Gillette Stadium, Foxboro MA - September 20, 2006
© Jessica Rinaldi
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: BOB DYLAN - Modern Times Appreciation Thread VOL. II (We Deserve It!) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
7th September 2006 07:23 PM
Madafaka 1st part: http://www.novogate.com/board/968/230756-1.html

I'll miss you today, JB!
7th September 2006 07:40 PM
PartyDoll MEG Thanks Madafaka!!! Great minds think alike
7th September 2006 08:29 PM
Lazy Bones any Dylan thread has my continued support!
7th September 2006 09:35 PM
PartyDoll MEG Mr Bones...What Bob show/shows you going to?
And are you gonna see the Stones this time around?
7th September 2006 10:05 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Mr Bones...What Bob show/shows you going to?
And are you gonna see the Stones this time around?

London (3/11) and Toronto (7/11).

Long over-due, imo, to play here. His last Canadian gig was July 2005 in Calgary and the last time he played Toronto (March '05) he played 3 smaller venues 3 nights in a row. The second night was at the Phoenix - where the Stones had their ABB 'thank you' gig. It was the smallest venue on that leg of the tour! I guess with larger openers like Kings of Leon, the Foos the the Racs, he can go back to bigger venues and sell a few more tickets drawing the younger folk.

No Stones this time around.
7th September 2006 10:07 PM
glencar What's the whole Alicia Keys thing? Does he sing about her or with her?
7th September 2006 10:21 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
glencar wrote:
What's the whole Alicia Keys thing? Does he sing about her or with her?

Glenny, he is singing about her in Thunder On the Mountain:

I was thinkin' 'bout Alicia Keys, couldn't keep from crying
When she was born in Hell's Kitchen, I was living down the line
I'm wondering where in the world Alicia Keys could be
I been looking for her even clear through Tennessee

Feel like my soul is beginning to expand
Look into my heart and you will sort of understand
You brought me here, now you're trying to run me away
The writing on the wall, come read it, come see what it say
7th September 2006 10:22 PM
glencar Tasty! I await this disc's arrival...
7th September 2006 10:25 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

London (3/11) and Toronto (7/11).

Long over-due, imo, to play here. His last Canadian gig was July 2005 in Calgary and the last time he played Toronto (March '05) he played 3 smaller venues 3 nights in a row. The second night was at the Phoenix - where the Stones had their ABB 'thank you' gig. It was the smallest venue on that leg of the tour! I guess with larger openers like Kings of Leon, the Foos the the Racs, he can go back to bigger venues and sell a few more tickets drawing the younger folk.

No Stones this time around.

Glad you get 2 shows! I'll be travelling up to Detroit, as that is the closest Bob comes to Columbus, and will go to the show with my son, who lives in Ann Arbor. He, of course, is a Bob Believer!!
7th September 2006 10:34 PM
Lazy Bones Modern Times reviews: Slate the pick of the bunch

After a busy week exulting in the richness of Dylan’s new release, Modern Times, and reading countless reviews, I keep returning to Jody Rosen’s review from Slate, the US online magazine.

Rosen’s is the finest piece of writing about the album I’ve seen. It combines knowledge, insight and judgment. Sample these:

“He’s been busy with legacy management…”

“…worldview… that the sacred and the fleshly exist on the same plane..”

“love has been his great subject…”

If you only read one more review of Modern Times, consider reading Rosen’s. Highly recommended.

www.slate.com

Gerry Smith

Bob Dylan's Make-Out Album
The romantic—and spectacular—Modern Times

By Jody Rosen

If Bob Dylan's 31 studio albums have taught us anything, it's not to take his words at face value. The title of album No. 32, Modern Times, is a typically mischievous Dylanism. For one thing, it's a joke. Since the early '90s, Dylan has been in revolt against musical modernity, forsaking contemporary production values, singing traditional folk ballads, and steeping his own songs in old-timey sounds. In an interview in the latest Rolling Stone, Dylan calls digital recordings "worthless" and "atrocious." ("I don't know anybody who's made a record that sounds decent in the past 20 years," he says.) Of course, the album title also alludes to Charlie Chaplin's classic 1936 film. And there is something Chaplinesque about the impish Dylan of 2006, with his funny mustache and old hat. The tragicomic hero who trudges through Dylan's recent songs is a lot like the Little Tramp—a spiritual hobo, battered by cruel fate and heartless women, wandering, as he sings on the new album, down a "long and lonesome road."

Dylan nearly died from a heart infection in 1997 and became a senior citizen this past May. Recently, he's been busy with legacy management, publishing his autobiography and collaborating with Martin Scorsese on a worshipful documentary. But the real achievement of the last decade is his magnificently rejuvenated career as barnstorming live performer and recording artist. On Time Out of Mind (1997) and Love and Theft (2001), Dylan reconnected to his songwriting muse. Among other things, these albums showed that Dylan's famous conversion to rock 'n' roll—when he "went electric" at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival—was a big fake-out. Whether shouting above the supercharged rock on his classic mid-'60s albums or singing these raggedy blues-soaked tunes in his time-ravaged voice, he's always been a folkie, or more precisely, a folklorist. Hardscrabble blues, 19th-century parlor ballads, gospel testimonies, ragtime, Tin Pan Alley tunes, and other songs as old as the hills, and as immovable—Dylan's music has carried these echoes from the start, but never with such a sense of mission as in his recent work. If there is an extra hint of fatigue in his rasp these days, it may be because he's weary from bearing that heavy load. It's not easy being America's living, breathing musical unconscious.

Modern Times is a better album than Time Out of Mind and even than the majestic Love and Theft, which by my lights makes it Dylan's finest since Blood on the Tracks (1975). As usual, it's verbose. Dylan pours out verse after verse—aphorisms and parables, jokes and laments, valentines and metaphysical musings—over loose-limbed vamps from his excellent touring band. In the opening boogie blues, "Thunder on the Mountain," Dylan sings about God, the apocalypse, vengeance, war, and more earthy matters: "I got the pork chops, she got the pie/ She ain't no angel and neither am I." The songs are full of such jarring segues, moving in a line or two from grand spiritual yearnings to yearning for Alicia Keys. It's a great songwriting technique, and it's also a worldview—the idea, consecrated in the blues and, for that matter, in 40 years' worth of Bob Dylan songs, that the sacred and the fleshly exist on the same plane.
8th September 2006 09:07 AM
Ten Thousand Motels

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
8th September 2006 02:33 PM
glencar I bought the CD/DVD combo for $14.99 at Costco. I saw it & decided not to wait. BTW I also bought an iPod!
8th September 2006 02:38 PM
Madafaka
quote:
glencar wrote:
I bought the CD/DVD combo for $14.99 at Costco. I saw it & decided not to wait. BTW I also bought an iPod!

The two best things that you could buy in these days! Congrats, Glen!
8th September 2006 02:40 PM
PartyDoll MEG About time, Glenny!!!
8th September 2006 02:40 PM
glencar Madafaka, you ahve gotta come up here! I spent $500 & bought a carload of nice fun stuff. Then I bought 2 Chinese meals for $10! I believe we're in a deflationary period.
8th September 2006 02:42 PM
PartyDoll MEG Time for a little dose of news:

From Belfast Telegraph (Gazza- don't you read the newspaper!?)

Legend Dylan pays tribute to Ulster icon

By Eddie McIlwaine

08 September 2006
Bob Dylan pays a tribute to an Ulster icon on Modern Times, his first album in five years which has just been released.

The legendary singer-songwriter, who is a frequent visitor to Belfast, devotes one track to the memory of celebrated lyricist Jimmy Kennedy.

Dylan has turned his new song Beyond the Horizon, track seven on the album, into a Kennedy homage.

He even gives a mention to Jimmy's greatest work, Red Sails In The Sunset, in one verse and refers to this 1935 hit for Bing Crosby as "the theme of a melody from many moons ago".

Jimmy Kennedy, born in Omagh and raised in Portstewart, died aged 82 in 1984 after a career in music which earned him a reputation of being second only to Lennon and McCartney in the number of hits which flowed from his pen. Dylan discovered on his visits here that the author of at least 200 world hits, 50 of them still pop classics, was a prolific Ulsterman.

It was probably his friend Van Morrison who told Dylan the story of how one summer evening sitting in the garden at Portstewart with his sister, Kennedy was inspired to write the ballad Red Sails In The Sunset.

"The setting sun was glinting red through the sails of a lone yacht just off shore as he gazed out to sea and that gave him the idea for his verses," explained his friend, the late Leslie Mann, who wrote a book about Kennedy.

8th September 2006 02:42 PM
glencar
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
About time, Glenny!!!

ME, I was going to wait for amazon to send it & tehre it was looking real nice. I listened to 2 songs on the way home & will play the rest in a bit. My recent shopping spree ahs left me with some chores to do. I bought an iPod!
8th September 2006 02:43 PM
glencar BTW The first song sounds like one off the L&T CD.
8th September 2006 03:10 PM
Bitch After maxing out the ist thread in a few days and reading all the posts I decided to go and buy the DYLAN CD to see what all the hype was about.

Listened to it a few times in a row to get the feel of it.
Only 10 songs, each distictly Dylan, it's mostly mellow tunes with great lyrics. ROCK & ROLL, not much rock but OK it rolls. IMO.

Thanks Bob!
8th September 2006 03:30 PM
glencar I will watch the DVD tonight & I'm about to play some of the CD on my way to Commack!
[Edited by glencar]
8th September 2006 04:14 PM
Saint Sway any reports yet of the album selling well?
8th September 2006 04:15 PM
Factory Girl
quote:
glencar wrote:
Tasty! I await this disc's arrival...

Is your disc strolling over from Best Buy??

I like MT, but I don't love it. It leaves me a bit cold.
8th September 2006 05:12 PM
Gazza
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Time for a little dose of news:

From Belfast Telegraph (Gazza- don't you read the newspaper!?)

I do, but as the author is Eddie McIlwaine, I tend to avoid articles by that cretin as he somehow (like the piece above) manages to put a local 'spin' on everything.

If Dylan or any other artist of significance had a bowel movement, he'd probably claim it was as a result of a plate of fish and chips that he ate at the Giants Causeway in 1978 or something.

8th September 2006 06:36 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I do, but as the author is Eddie McIlwaine, I tend to avoid articles by that cretin as he somehow (like the piece above) manages to put a local 'spin' on everything.

If Dylan or any other artist of significance had a bowel movement, he'd probably claim it was as a result of a plate of fish and chips that he ate at the Giants Causeway in 1978 or something.

I can see why you don't want to claim this writer!! LMAO!!!
8th September 2006 06:38 PM
Saint Sway any good live dylan dvd's available???

I have the new Scorcese dvd and Dont Look Back but no full live dvds
8th September 2006 08:03 PM
glencar
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:

Is your disc strolling over from Best Buy??

I like MT, but I don't love it. It leaves me a bit cold.

Nah, I was going to order it from amazon but I ended up buying it at Costco today. My opinion is much like yours. Good but not great.
8th September 2006 11:13 PM
Madafaka
quote:
glencar wrote:
Nah, I was going to order it from amazon but I ended up buying it at Costco today. My opinion is much like yours. Good but not great.

You need to listening up again!
9th September 2006 02:59 PM
Gazza For those of you in the UK and Europe, my contacts at Dylan's UK promoters and European agents indicate that there will be a tour here next year, provisionally scheduled for April/May 2007.

There are no real plans at present, but you can expect a major tour with multiple, large venues
9th September 2006 03:14 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Gazza wrote:
For those of you in the UK and Europe, my contacts at Dylan's UK promoters and European agents indicate that there will be a tour here next year, provisionally scheduled for April/May 2007.

There are no real plans at present, but you can expect a major tour with multiple, large venues

Anything close to World Tour? May I keep on dreming?
9th September 2006 03:39 PM
Gazza Dylan has been on a "Never Ending Tour"(his words) now for over 18 years. Unlike most major artists, his tours arent specifically tailored to be in support of a new record - so he doesnt do 'world tours' as such.

When was he last in South America? 1998? And before that, I think it was 1991. I guess its time for a return. He plays North America and Europe every year with other regions (Australia, Japan, South America) being visited occasionally, so who knows.
[Edited by Gazza]
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)