ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1969 by Someone at the Associated Press With thanks to Stoneslib
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Elvis beat by Abba Return to archive
09-17-03 01:04 PM
Mother baby Abba beat Elvis in tributes chart

Bands like The Fabba Girls and Voulez Vous pay homage to Abba
Abba tribute acts have overtaken Elvis impersonators in the battle of British covers singers, according to a survey.
The Swedish quartet jumped from third most tributed act in 2001 to top in 2002 with imitators like Abba Fever and Voulez Vous putting on Abba shows.

Elvis was pushed to number two while the Beatles dropped to three, with covers bands like The Helter Skelters.

The Performing Right Society (PRS) - which distributes royalties to songwriters - carried out the research.

In fourth place were Queen and Freddie Mercury - with tribute acts like Queen B and Pure Magic - while Robbie Williams jumped from seventh to fifth place.

MOST TRIBUTED ARTISTS IN THE UK IN 2002

1. Abba
2. Elvis Presley (above)
3. The Beatles
4. Queen/Freddie Mercury
5. Robbie Williams

His impersonators go by names such as Dodgie Williams and The Ego Has Landed.

George Michael and Wham! were the sixth most tributed artists, while Tom Jones' hits saw an upsurge in popularity, making him a new entry at number seven.

But Irish legends U2 were pushed out of the top 10.

The PRS carried out research to determine how much songwriters should be paid in royalties - with a number of other charts compiled from the research.

In the list of most broadcast songs of 2002, Elvis took number one for a remix of his song A Little Less Conversation by JXL.

Nickelback's How You Remind Me was in second place, with Love At First Sight by Kylie Minogue at number three.

Minogue's hit Can't Get You Out of My Head was the most played song on jukeboxes and the most played by DJs in 2002, the charts revealed.

UK JUKEBOX TOP 10 OF 2002
1. Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out of My Head
2. Shania Twain - Man I Feel Like a Woman
3. REM - Losing My Religion
4. Coldplay - Yellow
5. Travis - Why Does It Always Rain On Me?

In the UK jukebox top 10, Shania Twain's Man I Feel Like A Woman was number two, ahead of REM's Losing My Religion, and Yellow by Coldplay.

Veterans like The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton and Meatloaf also had places in the top 10, all with songs originally recorded more than 20 years ago.

And in the DJ chart, Minogue beat songs by Sophie Ellis Bextor, Liberty X and Madhouse's cover of Madonna's Like A Prayer.

Dance the Night Away, which was a number four hit for The Mavericks in 1998, was the most performed song live for the second year in a row.

Also in the top 10 of the most performed live tracks were Mustang Sally, Brown Eyed Girl, Angels and Simply The Best.
BBC

09-17-03 01:13 PM
jb So typical of the English...Elvis, Abba, Robbie Williams....no Stones as usual.....
09-17-03 02:37 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Veterans like The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton and Meatloaf also had places in the top 10, all with songs originally recorded more than 20 years ago.

No Stones? You didn't read the whole article!
09-17-03 02:52 PM
jb Where are you from MonkeyWoman?