ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1969 by Someone at the Associated Press With thanks to Stoneslib
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Not Happy : DVD Live at MAX Return to archive
09-16-03 04:08 AM
swapwoodfortaylor Just picked up a new copy of Live at MAX on DVD. The cover states Track 10 is Happy. It is not on the disc and the disc menu has no mention of Happy. Am I going nuts?
09-16-03 04:19 AM
beer i dunno, but i do know that Live At The Max seriously sucks. Its completely edited, and the music is out of sync with the video(honky tonk women).
09-16-03 06:44 AM
montana LOL it's true... i got my copy while i was in holland and havent had the time to check it out yet, but i've just played it...and in the cover says #10 happy and in the dvd menu says #10 paint it black, HAPPY IS MISSING!!!
sucks!

lour
09-16-03 06:56 AM
Muddyw Actually the truth is that Happy is not missing on the disc, but as you guys already noticed, the song is not mentioned in the menu of the dvd. Happy is being played right after You Can't Always Get What You Want, so both songs are number 9. Just watch You Can't through to the end and then Happy will start.
And yes, the music is not always sync to the video, but I guess it's something more music video's or live registrations have.

Something else: Don't you always hate it when Ronnie or Keith start their solo and then the video doesn't show us this, or a little part? I hate it everytime... It's my ultimate complaint on every Stones live registration so far. Lots of overviews of the stages etc, and not many shots of any playing by the musicians... very bad I think! I really want to see them play... Maybe it's because they want to make us feel like we're in the crowd or something, but I should think that a video should be something to show us everything!

Have fun with At The Max!
09-16-03 07:41 AM
steel driving hammer I've always noticed the lagging durring Happy but I've always just thought I had a bad DVD copy.

Durring IORR, remember that amber haired girl in the front row being swished and looking somewhat sad and bored? I wonder what she's doing today or if she's knows she's was filmed.
[Edited by steel driving hammer]
09-16-03 07:56 AM
swapwoodfortaylor Many thanks Muddy. You are spot-on! It's was there all of the time! Totally agree with your other comments. Biggest shame of all is the '60s TV stuff focuses on Jagger and we see little of the guitar work of KR and BJ. That was the same for all bands then though!
09-16-03 05:49 PM
kahoosier It is a well known and admitted fact that all of the "officially" released live music of the Stones is edited and overdubbed. I have a feeling that often when we are hearing a searing solo, that seeing Ronnie's Or Keith's fingers at the frets would not be particularly helpful in playing what we are hearing. I do wish it was all more honest though.
09-16-03 07:35 PM
Phog "At The Max" is nothing more than a gigantic music video. A friend of mine used to manage an IMAX theater and had access to a promo video (which I duly copied). At least 95% of the shots in the actual movie are of the Stones lip-syncing to an empty stadium. You even get to see Jagger mess up a take and curse about it (it's bleeped). If I remember right the movie was shot at Wembley Stadium, but the music comes from a show in Germany I believe. The only shots that actually come from "concerts" are those in which the crowd is visible. If you ever get the chance to see it in an IMAX theater you should do it, because that's the way it was meant to be seen. On a huge screen with huge sound.
09-16-03 09:27 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Phog wrote:
If I remember right the movie was shot at Wembley Stadium, but the music comes from a show in Germany I believe.

Interesting.

You may be right!

Gonna find time to listen to both and do some research about it, LOL!
09-17-03 10:13 PM
JaggaRichards ABC-TV's In Concert did a special called 'The Making Of at The Max' about 10 years ago.
They clearly showed how the Stones did the whole lip-synch thing for the whole flick.
BTW, the cameras that were used were about the size of a Volkswagen and could only hold so much film. They had to change reels like every 5 minutes.
And yes, ATM really only works on the big screen.
And remember, some Stones is better than no Stones!