ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1969 by Someone at the Associated Press With thanks to Stoneslib
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Nominees Set for 2004 Rock Hall of Fame (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2
09-13-03 10:30 AM
Martha Oh I'm so HAPPY for Johnny!!!!!! His set was the highlight (for me) at Farm Aid last Sunday......didanyone else go from this board? Check out his newest release, "Trouble No More"....I really love it. Slide me Ronnie.

Jackson Browne's last album, "The Naked Ride Home" is stellar as well. It will be one I will be giving out for Christmas this year! More slidin'!

And George Harrison's exhibit is coming to the Rock Hall sometime in early 2004.

Rock on!

Ms. Martha Mellencamp
------------------------------------------------------
Entertainment  
09/13/2003  08:23:44 EST
Nominees Set for 2004 Rock Hall of Fame

Former Beatle George Harrison, Prince, John Mellencamp and Jackson Browne are among the nominees on the 2004 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ballot.

Harrison, who died of cancer in November 2001, is already in the rock hall as a member of the Beatles. Former bandmates John Lennon and Paul McCartney preceded him for their solo work.

Previous nominees back for another try include the Sex Pistols, Black Sabbath, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Gram Parsons and Patti Smith. Other nominees include The Dells, The "5" Royales, Bob Seger, the Stooges, Traffic and ZZ Top.

Ballots were mailed this week to voting members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which is located in Cleveland.

Funk-rocker Prince has led a diverse career topped by his "Purple Rain" soundtrack, heartland rocker Mellencamp had a string of hits after dropping the middle name "Cougar" and songwriter Browne was a prominent member of the 1970s Los Angeles singer-songwriter scene.

Artists are eligible to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame after at least 25 years have passed since their first record was released. The inductees likely will be announced in December.

___

On the Net:

http://www.rockhall.com/

Copyright 2003 Associated Press.
09-13-03 12:26 PM
glencar Patti Smith & the Sex Pistols belong in there way before John Cougar. I'm surprised neither of them is in there yet.
09-13-03 07:06 PM
FPM C10
quote:
glencar wrote:
Patti Smith & the Sex Pistols belong in there way before John Cougar. I'm surprised neither of them is in there yet.

It is high time that place gets shut down. There are already so many travesties of people who AREN'T in and people who ARE but SHOULDN'T be...now we've GOTTA let George in, even though his solo career was hardly incendiary, cuz he's dead and John and Paul are in...so next year we let Ringo in, right? And hey, shouldn't we let poor Eric Clapton in again? He's only in THREE times.

Of course I think the Pistols deserve the "honor", if that's what it is, but they've been passed over twice already and Johnny Rotten has told them in print to shove it a number of times - I'd rather have them on tour than in a museum.

The Pistols are the ONE rock & roll band who made an impact on music yet were not subsequently absorbed into the machine, who are in fact still out there railing against it. Accepting the induction would be wrong - of course, THAT probably makes them consider doing it, because playing Las Vegas was WRONG too, but God bless 'em for doing it! I think!

Being a big fan of people who perversely confound every expectation is confusing sometimes! I just can't see them at the ceremony in tuxedos, jamming afterwards with ZZ Top and Stevie Nicks or whoever.

09-13-03 08:29 PM
glencar If they let Stevie Nicks in there, there's absolutely no cred there whatsoever.
09-13-03 10:19 PM
Prodigal Son Goddamnit, put the Pistols, Patti Smith, Prince, the Stooges, Lynyrd Skynyrd and ZZ Top in now. The rest I could care less about, although Sabbath did span heavy metal which is a true accomplishment. Traffic didn't do enough for me to get them in and the same goes for Mellencamp. Jackson Browne, I dunno! George should get in for his great songwriting with the Beatles and certain good periods to his career.
09-14-03 12:19 AM
Egbert Isn't Billy Joel already in the Hall? That fact alone tells you all you need to know about that lakeside hunk of shit. If I ever find myself in Cleveland I will piss on it.
09-14-03 06:44 AM
JaggaRichards Jackson Browne is a weenie!
09-14-03 07:30 AM
Larry Dallas Shouldn't Van Halen be on the list this year? I'm surprised they weren't included.
09-14-03 09:43 AM
Martha Ahh...... I knew this post would bring out the best in everyone.

You know I do not know what determines the nominee list or why only a few artists get inducted each year, but for me I decided that the fun I have when I go there and the things I do get to see that I care about and mean something to me is where to place my focus. I especially love to go there the day after a concert and meet other people, like the good folks that post here for example. I take what I like and leave the rest. There is a lot to like, (imho) though.

I'll be going there on October 21st in fact, after the Simon and Garfunkel show, if I get tickets in the next 20 minutes that is.

Oh gawd, did I just say that here?! LOL

Rock on you bloody Rock and Rollers!

hugs and kisses,
Martha Mellencamp
09-14-03 01:48 PM
glencar Martha, I too have seen Simon & Garfunkel. Of course it was in 1981 but still, there's no shame in it. There's also no shame in being a John Cougar fan. Seriously. But there's no reason that he has earned his way into the R&R HOF. His music is extremely derivative. He did start that Farm Aid stuff but the impact of that is small enough to matter little.
09-14-03 02:14 PM
sirmoonie The Eagles and Queen got in, so there is no reason Mellencamp shouldn't. Its kinda like heaven in that respect.

There certainly are elements of the RRHOF that are a joke (see above), but I'm glad I saw it once and I do think its mere existence is important, even if its off the mark on a few things.
09-14-03 02:46 PM
Martha I love the Rock Hall. I've never had a bad time there and I always meet the coolest, kindest and most interesting people there..people who love music as much as I do. So, it is worth its existence absolutely for that reason alone. I just skip the shit that I could care less about and move on. There is plenty to see that I do enjoy...so let's ROCK! :-)

I met Toronto Tom there last October (day after the Stones played) and got to see Ronnies' art work too...FUCK YUP! What a way to turn 45!!! LOL

I mentioned in another thread that there is a HUGE Stones Beggar's Banquet photo on the wall now placed directly behind the costume section on the first level. I don't recall it being there before. This section of the RH has recently been redone. Pagey took back his "dragon" outfit though...although I am certain he can no longer fit into it?!! What gives Pagey???

Anway, the next time anyone of you goes up, make certain to check that out!

No shame indeed!

Got my tickets today for Simon and Garfunkel concert in Cleveland on October 20th...!!!! :-)

Life is good!

Hugs,
Martha Mellencamp
09-14-03 03:17 PM
glencar I was there a few years back & it was okay but the Stones exhibit was teeny.
09-14-03 09:16 PM
Stonesmillenium2001 Put Harrison, the two 50s acts, Black sabbath, zz top, sex pistols, skynyrd, and the stooges in.
09-14-03 09:32 PM
LadyJane Who should get in:
--George
--Gram P
--Pistols
--Pattie S.
--Stooges

(Yeah...keep dreaming)

Who will get in:
--George
--Skynyrd
--Sabbath
--The Dells
--Toss up between Mellencamp and Prince
--ZZ Top

LadyJ.
09-15-03 03:36 AM
beer I don't think Gram will ever get in. I dig his music, but the only people that seem to know about him are Stones fans and the truely insane Gram Fanatics, who seem to idolize him as some god. I think his stuff with the International Submarine Band, and the Burritos is great! Don't care much for his solo stuff though.
09-15-03 07:25 AM
Factory Girl Johnny Winter is not in the Rock Hall.
The Stooges are not in Rock Hall.
Iggy is not in the Rock Hall.
Patti Smith is not in Rock Hall.

Hell, the way things are going, Justin Tumorlake will get in before Iggy or Johhny. Hall of Commercial Crap would be more appropriate.

09-15-03 11:24 AM
Joey When will the individual members of the Rolling Stones or The Who get into the Hall ?????

" She's the Boss " came out , when ???????? 1984 ?

" Empty Glass " ( Pete's REAL first solo disc ) I believe was released in 1980 .

Developing .....................like a pleasurable rash

Jercee !

09-15-03 01:14 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Joey wrote:
When will the individual members of the Rolling Stones or The Who get into the Hall ?????

Jercee !

What's the statute of limitations on this thing? 20 years? Well, then, I am starting RIGHT NOW to raise a ruckus to get Bill "I love the ladies" Wyman in there. His epoch-making solo album "Monkey Grip" came out in 1974, I think. And THAT is the kinda crap this hall is all about. They should have the horrific-yet-hilarious Benny Hill-style promo films playing round the clock.

This monkey is in the grip of Monkey Grip!

About next year - one word: RINGO!! Who can ever forget where they were the first time they heard "Back Off Boogaloo"?
09-15-03 01:28 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Hall of Commercial Crap would be more appropriate.

The first time I went there, I was ok until I caught a glimpse of POISON in the promo film they show you to educate the unwashed (or, I guess in this case, it's the WASHED that need elucidation)about what Rock & Roll is. I almost puked and SHOULD have left immediately.

The next time (C10 weekend) I went, the first thing I saw was some costume of Britney Spears. Again, I wanted to leave immediately.

Don't get me wrong: there's plenty of cool stuff in there. Even some of THAT pisses me off, though - Muddy Waters' famous red telecaster is there. WHY THE FUCK ISN'T IT IN CHICAGO? Why isn't it at 2120 S. Michigan Avenue, where it earned its iconic status?

It's one of those things: if you're going to do it, do it right, and if you can't or won't do it right, don't do it at all.

I doubt Johnny Winter EVER gets in there. He started in 1969 and has been eligible for YEARS. I don't think he's even been NOMINATED. And guys like the Stooges and the Pistols SHOULDN'T be in there. They should be outside throwing rocks at the windows.

Best thing I saw: a TV set once owned by Elvis with a bullet hole in the picture tube. Now THAT'S rock & roll.
09-15-03 01:55 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Joey wrote:
" Empty Glass " ( Pete's REAL first solo disc ) I believe was released in 1980 .

WTF? You twisted subversive! Who Came First? Exactly. It came first.
09-15-03 01:56 PM
jb The rock-n-roll hall of shame is crap, just like the city it's in.
09-15-03 01:58 PM
Joey " You twisted subversive! Who Came First? Exactly. It came first. "

Moonie .............that disc BITES !

Thus , it is as if it never happened .

Word to your Mother !

Jacky Boy !

09-15-03 02:14 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Joey wrote:
" You twisted subversive! Who Came First? Exactly. It came first. "

Moonie .............that disc BITES !

Thus , it is as if it never happened .

Word to your Mother !

Jacky Boy !

Joey, you're absolutely bug-nuts if you think that disk bites! Its the blueprint for chrissakes! The blueprint for heaven, hell and all the bars in between!

I am stunned, shocked, and amazed at your slanderous actions of today, Monday, September 15, in the year of some people's lord 2003.
09-15-03 02:17 PM
jb Mel Gibson is a major ass-hole.
09-15-03 02:32 PM
Joey " I am stunned, shocked, and amazed at your slanderous actions of today, Monday, September 15, in the year of some people's lord 2003. "

Forgive me Moonie ....................I smoke Dope !

Oh , and Josh , just two more days until you see " Steely Dan " !

This gig will change your life my Jewish Brother -- it's an .................what is the word ??????.......................Oh , an Epiphany ... of sorts !!!!!!!

Developing ..........................................

Chasing the Dragon ..................................

" He got GAME Today Ronnie "

Jercee Joe

09-15-03 02:35 PM
jb Kiss and Aerosmith were o.k.-nothing remakable ...I do love, however, that Kiss song that goes "I'm the king of the nightime world"....
09-15-03 02:42 PM
Mother baby [quote]FPM C10 wrote:
>I doubt Johnny Winter EVER gets in there. He started in 1969 and has been eligible for YEARS. I don't think he's even been NOMINATED.<

It's a traversity(sp?). They had that online petition over on his official website some months back to get him in. I don't know if its still there or not as I haven't stopped by his website lately. (actually I remember posting something here about it. I wonder if anyone signed it)

>Best thing I saw: a TV set once owned by Elvis with a bullet hole in the picture tube.<

I wonder why he did that.

[Edited by Mother baby]
09-15-03 04:03 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Mother baby wrote:
It's a traversity(sp?).

Traversity, if it WAS a word, would mean difficulty in travel. Unfortunately the Johnny Winter thing is going nowhere, as far as I know.

[/quote]
>Best thing I saw: a TV set once owned by Elvis with a bullet hole in the picture tube.<

I wonder why he did that.
[/quote]

Well, according to the Kurt Russel bio-pic, it was because Elvis "ain't no Andy Williams."

I know everytime _I_ do it, it's because I fell asleep with Fox "News" on. I wake up, see Bill O'Reilly, and that's when I reach for my revolver.*

* I own no guns and disapprove of them. "That's when I reach for my revolver" is a reference to Gang of Four's song of the same name, which is in turn a reference to Nazi Minister of Propaganda Joseph Goebbel's quote: "When I hear the word 'culture', I reach for my revolver." I am not now, nor have ever been, a member of the Nazi party, despite owning a copy of "Tiefland" by Leni Riefenstahl. **

** Just thought I'd better clarify everything in advance.

Praise be to Sri Harold Klemp.

09-15-03 04:05 PM
Joey

Fleabit .....................................

You got " Game " today !

Congratulations and " Salute " .

Ah , have you seen my Dope ?
Page: 1 2