ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1969 by Someone at the Associated Press With thanks to Stoneslib
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Point, Dublin - 11th September - setlist, pix and reviews Return to archive
09-11-03 02:15 PM
hotlicks Set list to start approx 9 30 pm
09-11-03 02:23 PM
hotlicks just a little story which you might enjoy! As most of you know there was no B Stage because the gig was too small However there was a tiny baby stage below the main stage accessed by two steps only enough for one person to stand on not surprisinly Mick thought this was his bit of turf during Sympathy for the Devil Mr Richards decided that he was going to claim it and was giving it his all on his guitar solo when Mr Jagger jumped down and decided to join him (if looks could kill Mick would be dead) the two of them then occupied the two square metres as nobody would back off! Mick then admitted defeat and Keith ruled the roost. To see the "dagger looks" Keith was giving Mick was unbelievable-Well I thought it was funny! I wonder if he will try the same tonight
09-11-03 02:59 PM
voodoopug FYI, there is a six hour time difference from chicago, aka CDT to Dublin time
09-11-03 04:56 PM
steel driving hammer Think Keith will play The Worst tonight?

I do.
09-11-03 04:59 PM
telecaster
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Think Keith will play The Worst tonight?

I do.

Steelie they will play "Pork Salad Annie" for sure.

They are running out of shows!
09-11-03 05:00 PM
hotlicks Many thanks to my blues brother Gazza for tonights set list-21:30 bst(ok):roll eyes:
Start me up
You got me rocking
Don't stop
Rocks off
Angie:d
09-11-03 05:02 PM
steel driving hammer Baby Got Yer Granny! Great guitar on that one eh!

There's only bout 8 confirmed shows left right?

Going to Soldier Field Monday?

09-11-03 05:21 PM
hotlicks ycagwyw
iorr
can't turn you loose
street fighting man
09-11-03 05:32 PM
hotlicks tumbling dice
09-11-03 05:49 PM
MarthaMyDear HI, DENNIS!!! I wish I
could be there!!! ;( Thank
you for the set list!!! What does this mean???: :d GOTTA
RUN!!! AT WORK (getting caught!!!)!!! lol................. :P
TAKE CARE!!!

*** Martha ***
09-11-03 05:56 PM
hotlicks The nearness of you
Before they make me run
sympathy for the devil-the remix-only kidding
midnight rambler
09-11-03 06:03 PM
hotlicks BOUT YE MARTHA
09-11-03 06:20 PM
hotlicks Paint it black
honky tonk women
brown sugar
satisfaction
jjf
09-11-03 06:30 PM
prism
Did Keith wear a purple shirt?
09-11-03 06:37 PM
MarthaMyDear BOUT YE TO YOU, DENNIS, AND TO EVERYONE WHO IS AT THE SHOW!!!
TAKE CARE!!!

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
09-11-03 10:00 PM
MarthaMyDear Just to be anal about it (thanks to Stonesdoug who thanks hotlicks who thanks Gazza!!! lol....... :P ):

1.) Start Me Up
2.) You Got Me Rocking
3.) Don't Stop
4.) Rocks Off
5.) Angie
6.) YCAGWYW
7.) IORR
8.) I Can't Turn You Loose
9.) Street Fighting Man
10.) Tumbling Dice
11.) The Nearness of You
12.) Before They Make Me Run
13.) Sympathy for the Devil
14.) Midnight Rambler
15.) Paint It, black
16.) Honky Tonk Women
17.) Brown Sugar
18.) Satisfaction
19.) Jumping Jack Flash

AND 'A BOUT YE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*** Martha ***

[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
09-12-03 01:39 PM
Gazza An even better show than Tuesday I thought. Very vibrant audience on the floor in front of us,and a very young one at that.

Slightly bizarre running order of songs. When they opened with three songs that are normally songs 2-4, I thought "we're only gonna get 18 songs". Then they added "rocks off" before the ballad, threw in "Sf man" as #9 before "tumbling dice" and I thought we might actually get 20 songs but it turned out to be the usual 19.

"You cant always get what you want" went down a storm on Tuesday and they kept it in,and it had the same effect last night. "IORR", which is a "standard" I thought I hardly needed to hear live again was even more explosive than the first show with Keith absolutely on fire. "Cant turn you loose" was fabulous as always. When Mick said they were going to do an Otis Redding cover, I was hoping for "thats how strong my love is" again but I can hardly complain. Keith didnt do another Irish folk song, laughing that "I'm not gonna lay any more Irish on ya - once is enough!" before musing "Now,what am I gonna do in London - any suggestions greatly welcomed!" (how about "maybe its because I'm a londoner" or "the Lambeth Walk", Keith?) "Paint it Black" (hardly a stadium song as its been almost exclusively played in arenas since they brought it in a few weeks ago) fits in the "hot rocks" part of the show PERFECTLY. Both nights in Dublin it sent the crowd into an absolute frenzy. However, the real highlight was a double whammy of "Sympathy" followed by "Midnight Rambler", a 1-2 knockout punch that hit home as hard as anything Lennox Lewis could have thrown at us. Awesome.

These are the best series of Stones shows I've ever seen. If I was picking the best ten Stones shows I've ever been at (out of 32 so far), about half a dozen of them have taken place over the last couple of weeks. Sometimes in the past, when I've seen a lot of shows in a short period of time,it's become a bit stale. I feared seeing nine shows (would have been 10 only for Twickenham #1 being postponed) in three weeks might have been a bit much to ask and I might have lost some enthusiasm by the end of it, but they've absolutely blown me away every time since they hit the UK three weeks ago. Thats how great my band is. Roll on Wembley tomorrow night.
09-12-03 03:36 PM
hayo Nice review Gazza!
Unfortunately, I was only able to see the first show in Dublin. The point was a reallly nice venue with good acoustics. And indeed it also was a great show with a lot of highglights. To name but a few: Great crowd,Keith was indeed on fire especially in IORR (He played great solo's),
The road to Tipararie(?), The Duet of course on Wild Horses,
Mick's Harp solo in YCAGWYW, Everybody Needs Somebody To Love was even better played than in Utrecht in my (humble) opinion. Keith also tried with some succes to play the solo on Sympathy like the studio version.
All in all Dublin was a great experience. I will defenitly come back to Dublin, a very nice city with very friendly people.

Hayo.
09-12-03 05:04 PM
hotlicks In total agreement with my old blues brother partner gazza I have seen the Stones from 63! onwards and without a doubt this has been the best that I have ever seen them. I must say that I have had my doubts leading up to the UK shows especially JB's comments really worried me I saw the Springsteen conecert recently and remember thinking that the Stones will never top this but how wrong I was This Band at the moment are on FIRE Part of me wants this to be the last tour as i want them to go out on top because i dont know how they will ever better this Tour but then again who knows?

HATS OFF TO THE GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD EVER!!
09-12-03 06:34 PM
glencar While I enjoyed Tuesday's show slightly more, this show was technically more proficient for those who keep track of such things. SFTD & Midnight Rambler were amazing. I was once again in the front of the stage & got to see some funny stuff. At one point, Mick wandered stage right & Keith shadowed his every step while smirking. Mick didn't seem to mind. I observed when Mick & Keith shared the lower bit of the stage. I don't think Keith could have been all that angry since I believe they did it at Tuesday's show also. The once and future Glimmer Twins seemed to get along fine.

I was disappointed that there wasn't a second Irish song from Keith but then he popped off with The Nearness of You which was lovely, as the Irish say. The spotlight shone behind him & it was one of those once in a lifetime moments.

Can't Turn You Loose was well done but it didn't seem to get much of a crowd reaction. Marianne Faaithfull was sitting in the nearest balcony seat & Mick winked up towards her once or twice. She's a bit heavier but still pretty. Bono's wife was there but he wasn't. We thought he might do a turn but no luck.

I ahd a great time in Dublin's Fair City. The Irish are quite nice people except for the morons who wouldn't observe a requested minute of silence for the victims of 9/11. Disgraceful.
09-15-03 02:42 PM
jb Don't the Irish have enogh problems without an ass like you visiting them.
09-15-03 02:52 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
jb wrote:
Don't the Irish have enogh problems without an ass like you visiting them.

Cut it out.
09-15-03 07:36 PM
Toronto Tom From my view mick and keith shared the small stage and loved every minute of it sharing it together. They did it both nights and the 2nd night stayed longer and smiled at each other as if to say this is the last time in a theater setting. Seeing that as they were upset is not even close to what was going on. They loved every minute of it. AS I did watching. What a great show that was. Seeing a 40 licks setlist in a theater situation was amazing.

09-16-03 01:07 PM
glencar I agree, Tom. While I didn't get to see their faces that time, at all other times they seemed quite loose & happy.

Joshy, go away. Any problems the Irish have are dwarfed by what the poor Palestinians have to contend with.
09-16-03 03:26 PM
MarthaMyDear
quote:
Cut it out.

ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You sound like you might be jb's father (and, oh what a job
THAT must be!!! HE!!! HE!!!)!!!
ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's funny... HE!!! HE!!! lol..............................
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
PEACE and ROCK ON!!!

*** Martha ***