ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1969 by Someone at the Associated Press With thanks to Stoneslib
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Point, Dublin - 9 September - setlist, pix and reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2
09-09-03 04:57 PM
Moonisup they played Wild horses, I heard that
09-09-03 04:58 PM
Mathijs with that singer of the Corrs if I understand correctly.

Mathijs
09-09-03 05:05 PM
BillyBoll Set so far from Gazza:

Street Fighting Man
Start Me Up
If You cant Rock Me
Dont Stop
Wild Horses (with Andrea Corr)
YCAGWYW

09-09-03 05:18 PM
Moonisup It's good that we didn't go Mathijs,

if we would be there, Andrea would be looking at us all the time instead of singing
09-09-03 05:21 PM
Joey

Bet they play Worried About You .
09-09-03 05:34 PM
Mathijs Why do you think Lisa's role is diminished ever since 98? Same problem!

Mathijs
09-09-03 05:47 PM
Moonisup cyhmk has been played
09-09-03 06:47 PM
BillyBoll Full list from Gazza:

Street Fighting Man
Start Me Up
If You Cant Rock Me
Dont Stop
Wild Horses (With Andrea Corr)
YCAGWYW
Its Only Rock'n Roll
Everybody Needs Somebody to Love
Tumbling Dice
(Its a Long Way to Tipperary) - Keith (with plenty of audience participation for several minutes)
Slipping Away
Happy
Sympathy for the Devil
Cant You Hear Me Knocking
You Got Me Rocking
Paint it Black
Honky Tonk Woman
Brown Sugar
Satifaction
Jumping Jack Flash

Another good solid performance was Gazzas comment on the show!

[Edited by BillyBoll]
09-09-03 07:00 PM
T&A strange, hybrid of a setlist...not quite a typical arena show (no b-stage tunes), yet not really a theater show, except we get ENSTL...
09-09-03 07:37 PM
crashbandicoot001 ...a couple of pics from rs.com...

09-09-03 09:08 PM
steel driving hammer RS.com has finnaly updated their pics since Stockholm?

Cheating like I don't know how...
09-09-03 10:03 PM
littleredrooster YES THEY HAVE!!!

AND,

You can STILL buy tickets for Glasgow and Manchester!!!
09-10-03 12:50 AM
midnightmagic damn roosters back. Hope things are well!
09-10-03 03:30 AM
UGot2Rollme Keith - Slipping Away 4 shows in a row... kind of unusual, isn't it?
09-10-03 03:31 AM
BillyBoll Apparently there is no B Stage.
09-10-03 03:57 AM
dealer squealing The Arena setlists have become a stadium ones.
It´s bad how the stones always do this at the European tours, they end up with the same songs
09-10-03 04:04 AM
BillyBoll Thats true, but then the recent Arena shows have been in cities that are only getting the one type of show and so I suppose that the Stones feel that they have to do more of a "greatest hits" type of show for these people.

They're still changing the songs around a fair bit more than they did in the past though.
09-10-03 04:24 AM
Moonisup I don't mind if they do a partly stadiumlist in an arena, AS LONG AS THEY PLAY IT GOOD!!!

And well, this is the first time they 'do' dublin since 1982, so what do you expect, and if you consider that, Dublin got a great setlist!

rik
09-10-03 08:14 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Yeah! Just because it's a *similar* setlist doesn't mean it's a *bad* setlist... as long as they play it awesomely, who cares? I mean, yeah, if you were really chasing this tour you'd get sick of "Satisfaction" and "Brown Sugar" and "Honky Tonk Women" after awhile... but for the guys who can't afford to do that, it's nice to get a show with both songs that everybody knows and tunes that're rarities like that.

-tSYX --- Werewolves of Dublin again...
09-10-03 09:38 AM
steel driving hammer
quote:
BillyBoll wrote:
Apparently there is no B Stage.

I hope Mick didn't tell him to stop Nearness.

But I've read Keith likes Slipping Away alot.
09-10-03 10:26 AM
T&A Slipping Away is the one Keith ballad that bores me. All About You was much better live, I thought. I was encouraged that he apparently has rehearsed You Win Again recently...but it's not looking likely he'll actually give it a go at this late stage of the tour...also, what happened to Starfucker and Neighbours?...they both seem to have fallen out of favor....
09-10-03 11:10 AM
steel driving hammer Agree fully.

Slipping is too standard of a ballad for the Stones.

All About You was deep.

I remember when Keith first played AAY in Chicago, the aud was stunned! At first it seemed like a big mistake, let down, and felt your common man and the crowd ain't gonna like this at all. But it worked well for that tour.
09-10-03 04:35 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Yes JB, it was a sell out.
09-11-03 09:33 PM
Angiegirl Met up with Gazza and TorontoTom (and some others) before the show. Very nice to meet Gazza again after more than 4 years!! See you again in London this weekend Gary.

We entered the venue at 7.40pm and because the Irish like a 'few' pints before the show, we had a hard time moving forward through the crowd in the hallway and then when we entered the actual arena, there only was a pack of people of 15 rows before us, while we expected to end up somewhere in the back!

It was a nice show. Standard setlist apart from Everybody Needs Somebody (which I still don't like), but I expected that. The Irish people are completely crazy, pushing and shoving, but very enthusiastic and participating during the show, which was great. Keith re-started Happy, very good instead of letting it run after a mistake and ruining the whole song. I guess he does read RO...

I thought Andrea Corr's contribution to WH was boring. She didn't show any of the great vocal capacities she has unfortunately. I understand the guys thought she was a highlight, lol. I had the same feeling when Bernard came to the front of the stage with Mick and Lisa during Sympathy.... The Irish people went completely mad during SMU, jumping, I was totally surprised! Very amusing. They are also very small people, which was great for us tall Dutch as we could see even the Stones' feet and the upper part of the stage without stretching our necks !!

It was my first time in Dublin and I liked it a lot. We had a great time with a large Dutch delegation (about 23 people I think) and after the show we raided a night club next to our hotel for beer and we talked the DJ into playing a Stones song. After being asked by about 15 Dutch crazy people, he decided to play it to get rid off us, so he spinned Satisfaction and we behaved like crazy Dutch jumping and singing. The next day, Wednesday, Dublin to Brussels only took about 1 and a half hour, but Brussels to my home town took 4 and a half hours by car and train. Would have been great to have a private jet from Brussels to Holland .

So, Saturday morning at 9am local time Mark and me fly to London for 2 more shows. Guess I talk to you people next week!
09-12-03 01:15 PM
Gazza Just got home. The series of excellent shows keep comin'.

Firstly, to those of you moaning about "stadium" setlists - I find it somewhat ironic that the only people complaining about setlists are people who are sitting at a computer. I didnt read or hear a single negative word about these two shows from anyone who was actually there (well, paying customers anyway - more of that later) . Think about it.

Until this week,the Stones had played ONE show in Ireland in the last 38 years. The last one was in 1982. An entire generation (and probably 90% of the audience) had never seen the Stones before. If someone can come up with a good reason as to why the Stones should tailor a setlist for people who werent there as opposed to those of us who actually WERE,I'd love to hear it. I certainly didnt feel shortchanged and it was my sixth show in just over two weeks.

Theres very little to complain about when the band are playing THIS good. The sound was perfect and the performance near flawless. My only gripe - in an otherwise enthusiastic crowd especially on the floor - were the two rows of corporate wankers seated in front of us in the front 2 rows on the balcony. We're sitting there before the show in these seats we practically had to kill to get when a group of about 30 people walk in and sit in the two rows in front of us. I saw a few laminates and figured they must be part of these overpriced fan club packages or something, but then I wondered why out of all of them,not even one had any form of clothing which would suggest they were Stones fans. Turns out they were on a VIP free evening courtesy some corporate hospitality crowd who had provided them with free tickets for a Stones concert in between trips to Jamesons and Bushmills distilleries. The concert started and I thought we'd been placed in a disabled part of the arena because these people seemed incapable of moving any part of their bodies. The Stones were playin' their asses off and most of the arena was going nuts but these pricks had as much life as a mortuary. Now,i dont mean they werent up dancing etc (each to their own)...but I mean, barely any applause, recognition of any songs played, singing along - anything. I know bands have to sell their soul a bit to cater for sponsors etc but never having had to sit beside people like this before I had little idea of what these subhumans were actually like. To be honest,it sort of killed the atmosphere in the area we were in. I would have happily tipped the whole fuckin' lot of them over the dge of the balcony if I could have got away with it.

Didnt ruin the enjoyment however of what was a great show. IORR rocked like I've never heard it before, Sympathy was fabulous and Keith once again provided the "what the fuck?" moment of the night when he launched into "Its a Long way to Tipperary" before "Slipping away". He sang a bit more of it than the couple of bars of "loch lomond" we got in Glasgow, and after the crowd picked it up he joined in again.

Great to meet up with so many folks from home and abroad before the show and afterwards back in the hotel bar - some of whom I hadnt met before,others I hadnt seen in years.
[Edited by Gazza]
09-12-03 06:23 PM
glencar I just back from a fun-filled half-week in Dublin. I met up with some great Irish fans who are apparently taller than the average Irishman. ) The show was magnificent. I'd never seen ENSTL & I'd been hoping for something along those lines. I was standing 10 feet from the stage. Yes one must make sacrifices. Watching Keith in action is amazing. Incredible.

Wild Horses was a bit sketchy. I'm not sure if Mick & Andrea knew who should sing what line. She's got a great voice though & she looked pretty good up there. It's A Long Way To Tipperary was also great fun. Charlie smiled from time to time. And Paint It Black was awesome. And how about CYHMK? And...
[Edited by glencar]
09-12-03 08:21 PM
McQueen "Watching Keith in action is amazing"

Fuckin' a right mate!

Glad ya enjoyed the show! Dublin is a gem, yes? Some even call it home from time to time...
09-12-03 09:05 PM
glencar Yeah, Dublin's great. I've been there 4 times now. It's pretty easy to get around.
09-13-03 08:09 AM
scully Gazza, spot on observations about the setlist and about the corporate types - there were a number of these in the row behind us at Manchester, and I just could not understand why they were there. I think they were T-mobile execs or something. Everyone enjoys the Stones in their own way, and I'm all for that, but how you can sit expressionless through a Stones show is beyond me. Hope it didn't dampen your enjoyment too much. Sounds like a great pair of shows.
09-14-03 07:41 AM
Gazza Oh it didnt spoil it - takes a bit more than that!

I dont think they were guests of T-Mobile. They all seemed to be American tourists. the whole point of their trip seemed to be a guided tours of various whiskey distilleries.I hope they fucking drowned in a VAT of the stuff at Bushmills.
Page: 1 2