ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1969 by Someone at the Associated Press With thanks to Stoneslib
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: London Astoria - 27 August - Setlist, pix and reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
08-27-03 06:45 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Taylor wouldn't play on CYHMK because thats Ronnie's now.

MY ASS!! Taylor has been playing CYHMK all along..and correctly, I might add. Truthfully, Woody butchers the hell out of that solo most of the time. I admit he's played it fairly well on occasion, but to call CYHMK "his" is hilarious.
08-27-03 06:46 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Confirmed setlist by Gazza via phone and double checked

1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. Live with me
3. Hand of Fate
4. No Expectations
5. Worry about you
6. Heartbreaker
7. IORR
8. Ain’t too proud to beg
9. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
10. Thats how strong my love is
11. Going to a go go
12. Nearness of You
13. Before they make me run
14. Can’t turn you loose
15. HTW
16. SMU
17. TD
18. BS
19. ENCORE Satisfaction

NO MICK TAYLOR
[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
08-27-03 06:47 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
sandrew wrote:
Oh, well. If he's in their good graces, maybe we'll get an appearance at Wembley or something. Or maybe we're simply all wet about this.

I think you're correct on the second part, unfortunately. Just another tease.
08-27-03 06:51 PM
hayo Angie,
I was to excited about MT possibly playing at the Astoria!
We will have a good time in Dublin though (with or without Mick Taylor)
But I guess he will play there, but the first night only I think.

08-27-03 06:54 PM
steel driving hammer After all is said and done, Mick Taylor had no fun, he had to walk before the Stones made him run, watch is fat ass fade baby, there ain't a chicken wing in the house!

Only a hotel room can make you feel so alone, Big Mac's potato chips and pork, you can choose your medicine!
08-27-03 06:55 PM
Angiegirl Hayo, we were excited together in the chat all night....
Dublin, hmmm still 2 more weeks
08-27-03 06:58 PM
warby Guess we see what happens at the 100 Club Tonight....
08-27-03 07:02 PM
warby If you want a glimpse of central London after the gig try this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/travel/jamcams/north_central.shtml
08-27-03 07:15 PM
warby If You Click the over the camera that say Centre Point you will see the Astoria - Top Right of screen.

Not as good as being there, but....

Cheers
08-27-03 07:20 PM
warby If You Click the over the camera that say Centre Point you will see the Astoria - Top Right of screen.

Not as good as being there, but....

Cheers
08-27-03 07:33 PM
Hand of Fate Just back from the show, was fantastic, on a par with Munich and slightly better than utrecht. keith was on fire tonight, I got an official setlist off a roadie and rock me baby was on it but no mention of Taylor playing on it. It was the best sound i've heard this tour, guitars up loud and Chuck low in the mix, too tired now to write anymore as it was so hot!
08-27-03 07:39 PM
Angiegirl Thanx HOF!
08-27-03 07:50 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
Hand of Fate wrote:
Just back from the show, was fantastic, on a par with Munich and slightly better than utrecht. keith was on fire tonight, I got an official setlist off a roadie and rock me baby was on it but no mention of Taylor playing on it. It was the best sound i've heard this tour, guitars up loud and Chuck low in the mix, too tired now to write anymore as it was so hot!

Glad the show was good anyway. It's also nice to hear that Chuck didn't drown out Keith as usual.
08-27-03 08:03 PM
mattb Can't find the webcam. What section of London?
08-27-03 08:05 PM
mattb Oh I found it - Oxford St - Centre Point.
08-27-03 08:34 PM
McQueen Welcome home Dublin...
08-27-03 08:41 PM
McQueen Or perhaps, Welcome Home...Dublin.
08-27-03 09:44 PM
Jaxx Size matters for intimate Stones
(Filed: 28/08/2003)

The stadium rockers treat excited fans to a small gig. Matt Born joins the queue

The first time the Rolling Stones performed together was in a small venue in Soho back when Harold MacMillan was Prime Minister, Brian Jones was on rhythm guitar and Mick Jagger was the same generation as his girlfriends. Times have certainly changed.

Mick Jagger: still popular

But last night, the self-styled Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band in the World rolled back the years with what by their stadium-rock standards was an intimate gig to 2,000 people at the London Astoria. The venue is just a stone's throw from the Marquee Club where the band made their debut in 1962.

Whether last night's show, returning to their roots, was a genuine nostalgia trip or a cynical marketing exercise in the commercial juggernaut of their world tour - the Licks - was unclear. And, frankly, no one seemed to care.

Certainly not the fans who had snapped up the tickets within minutes of their going on sale last year. Yesterday, those tickets were being traded on the internet for almost £2,500.

Clearly a close-up view of the world's most successful band was too good to miss and even those with tickets were queuing from dawn.

One of the first was Mickey Werk, 54, who had travelled from his home in San Francisco with his wife and eight friends just for the show. Mr Werk, who had purchased his ticket for £40 through the Stones fan club, had begun queuing at 5.20am even though the band were not due on stage until 10pm.

He said: "I saw them on the American leg of the tour. They were fantastic. I didn't want to miss this gig on their home soil. This one will have the best atmosphere. It will be truly historic."

Nick Bowden, 47, from London, had been queuing since 10am to ensure he got "the best seat in the house". Mr Bowden, who said had seen the Stones 53 times, predicted that the Astoria would be "the ultimate gig".

Nor, evidently, is the band's appeal limited to middle-aged men. Tiffany Roux, 21, from France, had come to Britain for the sole purpose of seeing the Stones. This was the 10th show she had seen on their current tour, and she insisted that the band's appeal was undiminished despite the fact that Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood and Charlie Watts were old enough to be her grandparents.

She said: "Chuck Berry is old and great. Why not the Stones?"

It is 20 years since the Stones last had a critically acclaimed record but their enthusiasm - like their popularity - shows no sign of abating.

Despite having been struck down by flu at the weekend - forcing the cancellation of a Twickenham date - Jagger was back to full health.

08-27-03 10:46 PM
StonesChick Sounds great, Hand of Fate! Thanks for such a quick update.

I don't get the Dublin thing. Going there next?
08-28-03 12:57 AM
Madafaka Thank you for the info guys, you're the best!
Rocks Off rules!
08-28-03 02:06 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Confirmed setlist by Gazza via phone and double checked

looks pretty good to me...

great opening bit, and no Dont Stop:
Live with me
Hand of Fate
No Expectations
Worry about you

how was Heartbreaker?

I dig Thats how strong my love is. I always have...

Nearness of You - nice bonus.
08-28-03 06:00 AM
Moonisup Here we go:

Rock me baby WAS ON THE SETLIST, and it was highly probable that Mick T would join them on that song. However, the song was replaced by Honky tonk women, I don't know when that change came. Mick lost his voice during the Band-intros and he forgot to introduce Chuck I think, he really ran through the intros, and after the Keith songs they REALLY speeded things up, never seen that b4. I think it was cos mick lost his voice.
Am I disappointed??
Yeah, they really could have done a better job

LWM was GREAT btw!!!! Best version I've heard this tour!

Next MIck taylor, the best "stones"show of this tour for me.....

Rik
08-28-03 08:55 AM
montana first pic of the show....do NOT ask me how i got it

cheers, lour
08-28-03 09:00 AM
montana more pix here but small:

http://www.lfi.co.uk/scripts/kws30pre.exe?site=LFI&picktype=GfxOnly&type=GfxOnly&maxhits=12&FLFA_FIELD=&SEARCH_FILTERA=&search=LFLON+003101&hmessage=ROLLING%20STONES%20ASTORIA%20GIG&submit=lsearch

lour
08-28-03 09:07 AM
steel driving hammer Where did you get that 1st pic Montana?

Thanks for the link, there's at least 50 great shots there!

Didn't see Ronnie...
08-28-03 09:17 AM
montana a few more

08-28-03 09:18 AM
steel driving hammer Gazza post something!

I read on Shidoobee that Mick did NOT loose his voice, the Astoria is a Gay Club, the reason the set was rushed was they came on late and had to obey the 11:30 PM curfew or pay a big fine and Mick Taylor was backstage the entire show.

08-28-03 09:21 AM
montana oh damn! all the work i did getting the pics bigger and now they put them for everybody to see them LOL

here's the link

http://www.rexfeatures.com/cgi-bin/r2news0?t=425629&m=2&z=0
08-28-03 10:04 AM
caro Yes, usually, rexfeatures only show the thumbnails... they probably made an exception because they're so proud to be the only site that got hold of some pics
thanks for the work anyway!
08-28-03 10:40 AM
Zeeta From www.nme.co.uk

'CLUB' CLASSICS!

'Bobby Gillespie, nick this move and I'll 'ave ya'

THE ROLLING STONES played their smallest UK show in years last night (August 27), at a star-studded gig at the LONDON ASTORIA.

Celebrities including Steve Coogan, Bobby Gillespie, Phill Jupitus, Tracy Emin and Beth Orton watched the band. Tickets for the gig were changing hands for thousands outside the venue.

As well as knocking out classics including ‘Jumpin' Jack Flash’, ‘Brown Sugar’ and ‘Honky Tonk Women’, Keith Richards played a short solo set and the band did a handful of covers from the ‘60s.

The Rolling Stones played:

‘Jumpin' Jack Flash’
‘Live With Me’
‘Hand Of Fate’
‘No Expectations’
‘Worried About You’
‘Doo Doo Heartbreaker’
‘It’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll’
‘Ain’t Too Proud To Beg’
‘Everybody Needs Somebody To Love’
‘That’s How Strong My Love Is’
‘Going To A Go Go’