ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia, PA September 18, 2002
by Fernando Aceves

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Veterans Stadium setlist Return to archive
09-18-02 11:16 PM
Boomhauer Holy shit! I just looked on Stonesdoug site and saw the setlist as the show is going on.

It's really good. Especially for a stadium gig.

They fucking played Let it Bleed! HEll Yeah!!!
09-18-02 11:37 PM
Boomhauer Posted by Glimmerdeb at Shidoobeeland:

1. Brown Sugar
2. IORR
3. Start Me Up
4. Don't Stop
5. Tumbling Dice
6. Undercover
7.Wild Horses
8. You Can't Always Get What You Want
9. Midnight Rambler
10. Love Train
intros
11. Slipping Away
12. Happy
13. Sympathy for the Devil
14. You Got Me Rocking
15. Let it Bleed
16. Like a Rolling Stone
17. Gimme Shelter
18. Honky Tonk Women
19. Street Fighting Man
20. Jumping Jack Flash
09-19-02 12:48 AM
Martha Encore:
21. Satisfaction
09-19-02 01:41 AM
Dr. Filth Keith played Before They Make Me Run, not Happy. He screwed up the final chorus (or, more likely, just decided to do it however he wanted) and messed up the poor back up singers. That Keith.

09-19-02 01:42 AM
Dr. Filth Ooooh! A diaper dandy! I smile sweetly!

How long do I have to wear a butt bib?
09-19-02 01:47 AM
fmk438j Is this first show without CYHMK? You'd have to be a little bit bummed.
09-19-02 05:23 AM
ziggypayne
Cool set. I hope they keep Let It Bleed and Gimme Shelter in the set for Friday's gig. Looking at this set, a Let It Bleed theme seems possable.

I don't think CYHMK was played at any of the Stadium shows.
09-19-02 07:13 AM
marko why 21 songs?fucking lars again.
09-19-02 08:33 AM
CS At first Phila. gig, Stones show they still can rock
By Dan DeLuca
Inquirer Music Critic

The average age of the members of the Rolling Stones is 581/4. Old enough to be great-grandfathers. Respectable enough to be knighted by the queen. Too old to rock and roll?

"No way!" said retired factory worker Bob Lee, 63, of Millville, N.J., who wore a red, white and blue bandanna and a 1997 Bridges to Babylon T-shirt in the parking lot of Veterans Stadium last night before the first and largest of three shows the archetypal band will play in the area in five days.

The Stones began to make the case for their continued relevance at 9:40. They opened with Keith Richards' dirty guitar riff to 1971's "Brown Sugar," Mick Jagger, dressed in a bright-blue waist-length jacket and black pants, prancing about the oversize stage. The British rockers followed with a snarling version of the 1974 hit "It's Only Rock & Roll (But I Like It)" and were off on an evening-long exploration of their back catalog.

Tomorrow, Sir Mick and his co-rockers will continue their Licks Tour with a sold-out show at the First Union Center, and on Sunday they will perform at Upper Darby's Tower Theater, the smallest venue the 40-year-old band will ever have played in the Philadelphia market and its smallest in the region since it headlined at Atlantic City's Steel Pier in 1966.

Last night's show, for which the Pretenders were the opening act, was not a sellout; the crowd was about 45,000, and many blue seats were empty in the Vet's upper tiers. Still, the Stones will perform for close to 70,000 fans during their run here, with tickets ranging from $300 to $50.

Lee - like everyone else in the parking lot, which was decorated with the Stones' red- tongue logo - was stoked to see his favorite band in its first Philly show since 1999. He had paid $320 to attend his fourth Stones concert since 1989.

"My wife says I'm crazy, but when the time comes, you've got to go," Lee said. "This is the only band that I really like. For me, it's these guys and NASCAR."

Age-wise, Lee was at the upper end in a crowd that started to fire up tailgate parties in the South Philadelphia parking lot at noon. It was by no means an exclusively graybeard scene to see Jagger, guitarists Richards and Ron Wood, drummer Charlie Watts, and their touring associates.

"I'm glad to be here before they die," said Beth Kaczmarski, 23, of West Chester, who agreed with her friend Jill Cox, 22, that the 59-year-old Jagger was still an impressive specimen. "He's hot," Kaczmarski said.

In the view of Cara Rubino, 17, of Haddon Heights, the Stones' age is irrelevant. "If they were 80, we'd still go see them. They could wheel Keith out in a wheelchair, for all I care," Rubino said. "The music is the only thing that matters."

Rubino's companion, Vincent Zito, 16, also of Haddon Heights, said: "It doesn't matter if you're 5 or 103, the Rolling Stones are still the greatest rock-and-roll band in the world."

Besides the music, Zito seemed impressed with Richards' famous iron constitution: "Keith has had like five blood transfusions. He's taken all the drugs in the world. There aren't any left for anyone else."

There were a lot of father-son tandems at the Vet, with dads taking teenagers to see the band of their youth.

"He went to see Weezer, and he loved it," said Fred Kriger, 40, of Doylestown. "And I told him you've got to see the Stones. It's a little bonding and a little classic rock."

Kriger's stepson, Jason Serko, 16, who sported a T-shirt from the punk band Minor Threat, was hoping to hear "Paint It Black."

"I don't care how old they are," Serko said. "The Stones are classic."

Jay Weathersby, 50, a real estate broker, gathered in the parking lot with a group of old friends from Woodbury (N.J.) High School to eat grilled chicken while the band could be heard playing Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" during its sound check. "They're almost 60," said Weathersby, who wore an Elvis Presley shirt. "They're old, but they can still kick it."

The strangest sight in the stadium lot was Jim O'Hanlon's pickup truck, on which the Drexel Hill landscaper had set up life-size plywood cutouts of Jagger and Richards. A mannequin depicting Jesus stood on the truck's roof. "Thank you, Jesus. Thank you, Lord," a sign said, in lyrics adapted from the Stones' "Far Away Eyes."

O'Hanlon, 41, played and sang selections from the band's catalog for tailgaters. "I'm here to have a little fun and entertain the people," he said. "But the number-one idea of this is to bring people to Jesus."