ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia, PA September 18, 2002
by Fernando Aceves

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Four Licks Return to archive
09-18-02 09:58 AM
Mathijs The new songs can be down loaded here:

http://notfadeaway.onlinepulpit.com/4licks.htm

IN my opinion, the new songs are horrible. They are unfinished Jagger outtakes. People are saying "the guitars are back" but unfortunately I don't hear them (listen to Low Donw or Too Tight and you know what I would mean with "guitars are back"). Keys To Your Love sounds like an outtake of Goddess that even Jagger thought was of to poor quality to put on Goddess. Second, it sounds like the Some Girls outtakes like "It's Cold Out There" or "Disco Muzik" -just the boys jamming sone chords with no further intention in mind. Charlie's drum sounds like a Milli Vanilli 80's drum...

Stealing My Heart sounds like a one-taker (listen to Charlie trying to find the drum beat at the intro), and it's just a light wheight pop-song, not memorable in any way. After one minute you forget to listen to it.

Don't Stop is the best of these three -at least it sounds a bit finished and there's some nice open G voicings. The verses are o.k., but the choruses are too simple and remind me too much of Just Another Night. But again it shows that it was recorded in a minimal amount of time. It's nice, but it offers nothing.

Loosing My Touch is o.k, but nothing earthshaking. It reminds me of the 77 Toronto sessions and some Tom Waits ballads, or even some Flying Burrito's stuff. It has this late night barroom feel that I like. But compare this song to "How Can I Stop" (in my opinion one of the best ever Stones songs, one of my absolute favourites). HCIS is seriously complicated; there are about 6 guitars and a beautiful arrangement. But LMT is too simple. Again I have this feeling like the song isn't finished yet. Now it seems like a nice B-side instead of the closer of the first new album in 5 years.

Mathijs
09-18-02 10:16 AM
Boomhauer ---------------------------------------

*Fart*

---------------------------------------
09-18-02 10:18 AM
Moonisup ____________________________________________________________
lol

Rik, the wooden shoe
09-18-02 10:28 AM
jb More positive comments from the once great mathjis.
09-18-02 10:31 AM
Moonisup He know's stones facts by heart, but he has aged 40 years in 4 months, that's bad, I wish he could be a bit more positive since he is from Holland

The wooden shoe, rik
09-18-02 10:32 AM
Sir Stonesalot *burp*

*fart*.....*fart*............*fart,fart*

*burp*

Hi. I'm a big fan of the Rolling Stones. I think that everything that they do should please me. If it does not please me, I will post incessantly about it, and throw a wet blanket on every other fan that I meet.

Yep, I love the Stones. I especially love to bitch, whine, moan, and complain about them. And I know that you all love to read negative post, after negative post about the Stones.

In the future, I will try to be more like the wise and sage Mathijs. He KNOWS, you know?

OK, I have to get back to burping and farting again.

*burp + fart*
09-18-02 10:34 AM
jb I thought mathjis was from the Dutch antilles? Does he live in a small wooden house?
09-18-02 10:37 AM
Moonisup I wish he was!! No, he probably lives on Abbey road, near the strawberry fields and W$%6 eleanor rigby
_____________________________________________________________lol
09-18-02 10:48 AM
jb Mathjis is skinny and has blonde hair...he may be a german!
Also, Fiji Joe has large breasts and is very envious of me...if he apologizes, I may allow him the pleasure of meeting me at the Florida shows...I will permit him to kiss my gold mercedes pinky ring enrusted with diamonds...Yo Soy El papa!!!
[Edited by jb]
09-18-02 10:50 AM
Sir Stonesalot I read the news today
Oh boy
About a lucky man who made the grade
And though the news was rather sad
Well I just had to laugh
I saw the photograph

He blew his mind out in a car
He didn't notice that the lights had changed
A crowd of people stood and stared
They's seen his face before
Nobody was really sure
If he was from the House Of Lords

I saw a film today
Oh boy
The English army had just won the war
A crowd of people turned away
But I just had to look
Having read the book

I'd love to turn you on.

Woke up
Fell out of bed
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup
And looking up I noticed I was late
Found my coat
And Grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat

Somebody spoke and I went into a dream.

I read the news today
Oh boy
Four thousand holes in Blackburn Lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many holes it takes
To fill the Albert Hall

I'd love to turn you on
09-18-02 10:52 AM
jb SS...is today your big day? Going to the Vet? You are obviously punch drunk happy and I will overlook this most serious offense.
09-18-02 10:58 AM
Moonisup have fun SS!! Drink some beer, have some fun enjoy yourself
09-18-02 11:01 AM
Sir Stonesalot OK, thanks JB.

I'll just start emailing you Beatles lyrics till you have to change your email address.
09-18-02 11:09 AM
Honky Tonk Man You missed a line Sir Stonesalot!

"Found My Way Upstairs And Had A Smoke"

Are McCartneys Shows selling out fast?

Alex
09-18-02 11:09 AM
jb Please don't give my e-mail to fiji joe or TSXY...by the way, how are the boots coming along?
09-18-02 11:12 AM
Sir Stonesalot JB, I don't give out email addys without prior consent.

What boots are you talking about?
09-18-02 11:19 AM
Moonisup The new soundboard from the palice royale!! by VGP
[Edited by Moonisup]
09-18-02 11:22 AM
jb Just kidding about the E-mails! I thought you were starting a cdr tree...maybe I am confused?
09-18-02 11:26 AM
Mathijs Y'all sounding like Elvis fans to me...The King's the King, and don't say a bad word about him. The king fat? He was never fat! Sorry, the new songs suck in my opinion. You want something positive from me? The set list are the best ever -it's like having El Mocambo evry night. Jagger's singing is best ever since 1982, the guy seems to get younger everyday. Ron's playing is excellent again, doing these old 75 lead lines again. On the Fleet MP3's I really had to listen hard to hear Chuck Leavell -and that's the way is should. Forget about the London/ABKCO issue, the remasters not only sound excellent (couldn't be better actually) they look great to.

How's that for a change.

Mathijs
09-18-02 11:28 AM
Moonisup Yeah we wanna hear that!!!
09-18-02 11:29 AM
jb Mathjis, I am interested in Dutch chocalate..please advise shipping and handling charges...Joshy...
09-18-02 11:45 AM
Sir Stonesalot That a boy Mathy!

Did it hurt?

I bet it felt really good.

It's fine by me if you don't like the new songs. Hell, I may not even like them. The only one I heard was "Don't Stop". I find nothing really objectionable with that song. It's fine. Not destined to become a warhorse, but still, a decent song.

I guess some of you set the bar so high that they can do nothing but fail to meet expectations. Well, I got no expectations. I just take whatever they give me for what it is....good, bad, or ugly. The Stones are almost 60. To expect new material to be as good as the big 5 era, or even as good as the some Girls, Tattoo You era is just not being realistic. Yet, they still manage to put out music that is way better than what anyone else is doing.

The difference between you and me is that I won't beat everyone over the head with it. I'm not gonna piss on anyone's parade. We don't have to love everything unconditionally. I still won't admit that ER is even a Stones album.....but to continually piss and moan isn't going to change anything, or make anything better. It's useless.

Go ahead, state your opinion, and then MOVE ON. No need flog a dead horse. We all know how you feel Mathy. We don't need thrice weekly posts about it.