ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia, PA September 18, 2002
by Fernando Aceves

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Your opinions of Bono, U2 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
09-18-02 03:14 PM
T&A Bono doesn't sing, he drones. It's an "affected" voice (meaning not his natural voice) that is really irritating to me. His natural Irish tenor isn't half-bad, but he hardly ever uses it. His affected vocal mannerisms remind me of Anthony Newley - any remember him? Awful!
[Edited by T&A]
09-18-02 03:17 PM
jb "What kind of fool Im I" and "McCarther Park" which was later made into a disco hit by the great Donna Summers...ah, love to love you baby....
09-18-02 03:17 PM
sirmoonie I think I left my cake out in the rain!
09-18-02 03:26 PM
jb Remember "Patches" by Clarence Carter...always brings a tear to my eyes.
09-18-02 03:40 PM
sirmoonie Everybody plays the fool
Sometimes...
No exception to the rule
Listen baby!
May be factual, may be true
But, everybody plays the fool
09-18-02 03:44 PM
Scot Rocks I like U2 and Bono is ok, stop slagging the guy, we all know that he can be a bit pretentious and full of himself. However he geniunely tries to make a change in the world for the better, not many do that. Their music is also ok, no where near the Stones or the Who imao, however I really like their stuff apart from Zooropa and Pop. Lay off Bono!!!!!!!

Mark
09-18-02 03:46 PM
Moonisup
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
Well I don't like them, Bono believes in his own fame, that is dangerous, only the drummers and bass players seem nice guys, donwn to earth, but the rest!! I read an interview with Bono in wich he said, they are the best and only rock 'n' roll band in the world and that Elvis, Chuck Berry and the Stones are good, but belong in the past!!! That why I hate him, they copied everything from the stones!! He really thinks he can sing! Asshole

Rik the wooden shoe

The above he said was in an interview, he should be
respectful! I hope you'll catch a few gigs next year, Mark, I don't know how long the travel to London take for you, however I hope you'll catch a clubgig, it will be more difficult here in Holland for me! There are to much die hard fans!!

Rik
[Edited by Moonisup]
09-18-02 04:05 PM
jb We will attack him continuosly until he dies!
09-18-02 04:47 PM
mick&keith It is quite common to mock people when they get up off of it and try to do some GOOD in this rotten old world!!! Bono is great! He has a good heart!
09-18-02 04:53 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
jb wrote:
We will attack him continuosly until he dies!

word
09-18-02 06:48 PM
kramer I love the Stones and U2 but what good does it do to compare them? Apples to Oranges. Anyway, I'm going to dispel a couple of brainless comments made. These comments about U2 remind me of the "But the Stones are so OLD,etc." crap are people are always telling me. If you don't like the music fine, but don't make up stuff you thought read somewhere once. (In defense of these comments the media often get the story wrong.)

NON REALITY COMMENTS:
they had to resort to a smaller tour last time out, cause the last 2 before that lost money.

REALITY:
ZOO TV/OUTSIDE BROADCAST played to over 4 million people at 157 shows, and cost the band anywhere from $100,000 to 250,000 a DAY to stage, show date or not. They even took it into arenas on some stops and lost money everytime they did it. You will never see the stones do this, because it's a bad biz model. Tickets were around $32.00 bucks for most shows. (BTW GA FLOOR seats were $45.00 on the last tour) Have you ever seen the ZOO stage? It's insane. I'd say top 3 most impressive shows ever put on the road. They knew that even if they sold all the tickets the tour would still make very little money. They planed on it not being a financial goldmine. POP was much of the same. The 100ftx70ft screen behind them on stage cost around 10 million alone to build. How much money you made on your last tour or how many stadiums you played doesn't measure the overall success of a tour. If you insist on numbers, oddly enough you can look at the last tour, it sold out 104 of 106 shows and made more $$$ than any arena tour in North American history. And six nights at the United Center = 110,000 people. Is six nights at the United Center a sign of weakness? Or four nights at the Fleet Center? Or five at MSG? As if that matters either...because it doesn't. I'd rather the Stones play only Arenas, as the sound in a stadium is often terrible...

NON REALITY COMMENTS:
Bono pretends to be Jaggers friend but has repeatedly claimed the Stones are irrelevant and that U2 is the "greatest" band today. He refers to himself in the first person (i.e. "Bono does'nt like this hotel") and is pompous ass. He also is wearing a hair weave and tries to keep his marriage clandestine...

...I read an interview with Bono in wich he said, they are the best and only rock 'n' roll band in the world and that Elvis, Chuck Berry and the Stones are good, but belong in the past!!! That why I hate him, they copied everything from the stones!! He really thinks he can sing! Asshole.
...I read that qoute in a dutch tv-guide, I think 7 months ago!! It was a copied interview from a german magazine, don't know wich one...

REALITY:
I doubt you'll ever have time to read At the End of the World, but let me break this much down: Bono worships the Stones. AND Elvis. AND Berry. U2 wouldn't be here without them and he's said it himself plenty of times. I personally read all interviews with a grain of salt. Bono has had a ton of fake/misquotes that had to be cleared up over the years. There was an interview on this last tour that was completely made up by the writer! Not that you guys would do that. Bono is not a pompous ass. He's got ego to burn but he ain't a jerk. I met him last year in Chicago at an aftershow party. It was 3:45 in the morning and he was still talking to fans, and stopped to talk to me and my sister. He was dead tired, but still kind, thoughtful and attentive. Ask anyone who knows, Bono makes more time for fans than 99% of the big acts. He'll stop to say hi at any chance he's given...Please tell me you're kidding about the singing line. Listen to him sing Bad or Kite sometime, his voice is a loaded gun. I love Mick's vocals to death, but their hardly picture perfect. But you know what? It's a rock and roll singers voice. Doesn't have to sound perfect. Listen to Springsteen. The man has a voice like gravel, but I love it...Oh, and Bono's hair is his own. What a stupid comment...kinda like the 3rd person remark.

NON REALITY COMMENTS:
They seem to be stuck in a Aerosmith frame of mind in the past few years to remain relevant to the youngies. Rattle and hum is Exile on Main st lite.

REALITY:
Actually, except for maybe four or five songs, Rattle and Hum is worse than Exile Lite. It's a failed experiment. But while we're at it, why don't we compare Autung Baby to Black and Blue? Or Joshua Tree? Comparing U2's weakest efforts to the Rolling Stones strongest is useless... And please don't compare them to Areosmith, for one they don't have even a remote connection in sound and style of play, and for another last I looked U2 wasn't selling their songs to Dodge.

NON REALITY COMMENTS:
gotta set my VCR for the Oprah show! Gotta see who breaks down and cries first!!

And I just cant wait until Bono is on the Martha Stewart Show giving tips on how to solve the world debt by making decorative picture frames out of pine cones and orange peel shavings

Bono: "look Martha, these lemon and macadamia tarts I made are not only a delicious apertif, but their also symbolic of my commitment to rebuilding Bosnia"

Marth: "and that is indeed a good thing"

REALITY:
You know, this is just hilarious. I can't knock this. I see Martha saying that in my head right now.
09-18-02 07:12 PM
full moon Bono is an over blown ass...........
09-18-02 10:47 PM
Mottrush U2 are a bunch of overrated tossers. Not worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as the Stones!!!!
09-18-02 11:22 PM
Boomhauer The reason why I never liked or will like U2 is because they are too serious and you can't dance or play air-guitar while listening to their songs.

It's like you don't have any fun listening to their songs; you get bored and it's all redundant.

U2 may be known as a popular band, but they are just plain ol' boring!!! (IMO)
09-18-02 11:30 PM
Fiji Joe I loved Bono in the ABC sitcom "Growing Pains".

I did not love Bono when he was single-handedly ruining the Kansas City Chiefs football team.
09-18-02 11:34 PM
Boomhauer
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
I loved Bono in the ABC sitcom "Growing Pains".

I did not love Bono when he was single-handedly ruining the Kansas City Chiefs football team.

Wasn't the guy on "Growing Pains" named Boner?
09-19-02 12:55 AM
MarthaMyDear He's a gorgeous hottie... End of story!
09-19-02 01:41 AM
Lacride U2, Bono: I've heard the names, the music, seen a few shows on TV. It didn't move me. Furthermore, I always had problems with prayers...
09-19-02 02:26 AM
hoobler i like bono. he's a smart fella. but i can only handle very short doses of u2.
09-19-02 04:22 AM
Moonisup
quote:
Boomhauer wrote:
The reason why I never liked or will like U2 is because they are too serious and you can't dance or play air-guitar while listening to their songs.

It's like you don't have any fun listening to their songs; you get bored and it's all redundant.

U2 may be known as a popular band, but they are just plain ol' boring!!! (IMO)

O yeah that's really true Boom, It just doesn't rock!! I can't dance on ' streets have no name' it is easy listening (no offence) and the beatles are also easy listening!! Again no offence! The stones just rock, play airguitar on Don't stop, Happy jigsaw puzlle, wiggle your ass just like mick does, hmmmmmmm that is the stones man, no other band can make people do that!! End of story

Rik
09-19-02 10:26 AM
jb Moon, sadly only around 40,000 at the Vet last night in a stadium that holds around 50,000 for concerts..so far this is thw worst attended stadium gig so far....look for Fed Ex in Virginia to be about the same and Ford field in Detroit may even be less!!!
09-19-02 10:40 AM
Nellcote Er, hate to break up this love affair folks, however,

Not a complete surprise that a stadium show has sold out, now is it?

The other two shows are SO, you can bank on this as the MO.

Questions?

At least we got LIB on the "b"
09-19-02 10:46 AM
jb Philly has lost it's title as a great Stones city....to have only 40,000 for opening show in "Stones" city is a major embarrassment to any real Stones fan...this was thew worst attended Stones stadium show in Philadelphia history...The FU is also not sold out...shame on you!! Philly shall never claim to be a Stones city again...More like a U2 city..if I recall, they had 4 sell outs at the FU for this inferior band....Also new MSG and Chicago shows have not sold ouut!!! The new Stones city is San Fransico!!!
[Edited by jb]
09-19-02 11:34 AM
kramer Or maybe it's because a pair of tickets are close to a paycheck for some folks. I just don't understand it. Why not slash prices and sell them all out? Borderline fans won't pay 90,150, or 350 for a ticket. You need these fans to sell out massive stadiums...

New York can't sell out a Stones show? Is hell freezing over?
[Edited by kramer]
09-19-02 11:35 AM
Moonisup Wasn't it sold out yesterday?? strange philly's

the wooden moon rik
09-19-02 11:50 AM
jb No...tickets, albeit crummy ones, remain for MSG.
09-19-02 11:54 AM
Moonisup haha and everyone from Philly was bragging about that being a stonescity!!! lol
09-19-02 11:58 AM
jb Moon, do you have a good picture of Keth's bracelet..I have an artist who will make it for me, but I need to e-mail him a clear picture....
09-19-02 12:00 PM
Moonisup I'm searching now! Well the header pic gives a clear look!

[Edited by Moonisup]
09-19-02 12:03 PM
jb I thought about that...I will send..but if you or anyone can get better picture, I appreciate it.
Page: 1 2 3