ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Filming the jungle
Iquitos Jungle, Perú 1981
Special thanks to Cucho Peñaloza
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Son of June Carter Cash, Johnny Cash talks about the Carter Family legacy Return to archive
September 16th, 2005 07:23 AM
Ten Thousand Motels

Son of June Carter Cash, Johnny Cash talks about the Carter Family legacy

ANGELA YEAGER
Statesman Journal

September 16, 2005

Before the term "country music" was even part of the public consciousness, there was the Carter Family.

Often credited with helping to invent the genre of country music, The Carter Family -- patriarch A.P. Carter, his wife, Sara Carter, and sister-in-law Maybelle Carter (later joined by children June, Anita and Helen) -- were one of the pioneers of American roots music.

American roots music -- often made up loosely of the genres of blues, folk, gospel and country -- is celebrated each year in the American Roots Music Festival, which will be held October 22 in Turner. The annual festival, this year featuring headliners Mark Lemhouse and The Trail Band -- is a fund-raiser for the North Santiam School District.

"I call the Carters roots music royalty," said Steve Gehlen, director of the American Roots Music Festival.

"Part of the purpose of this festival is to celebrate American roots music and music education, and part of that education is, where did this music come from and how is it all part of our cultural legacy and experience?"

As a preview to the music festival, there will be a Saturday showing of the PBS series "American Roots Music: Part 1" at the Star Cinema in Stayton. The first episode in the television series focuses on the pioneers of roots music, including the Carter Family.

June Carter went on to become widely known for her marriage and musical partnership with music legend Johnny Cash. June Carter Cash died in May 2003, and Johnny Cash soon followed her in September 2003.

The couple had one child together in their 35-year marriage, John Carter Cash.

Now 35 years old, John Carter Cash is living in his hometown of Hendersonville, Tenn., with his wife, Laura Cash, and children. Laura Cash was formerly known as Laura Weber of Corvallis. The two married five years ago in a ceremony in Corvallis attended by both of their families.

Speaking on the phone on their way to Virginia to visit Carter family relatives, John Carter Cash and Laura Cash, 34, reflected on the Carter/Cash family legacy, their own musical interests and the new movie detailing the early careers of Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash, "Walk the Line," which is due out in theaters in November.

His own career

John Carter Cash is working as a producer and is owner of Cash Cabin Studio. He just wrapped up recording a compilation of southern gospel music. He produced his mother's final album, 2003's "Wildwood Flower" as well as the 2004 album "The Unbroken Circle: The Musical Heritage of the Carter Family." The latter album was nominated for three Grammys and is a compilation of Carter Family songs performed by various artists including Willie Nelson,Earl Scruggs and Sheryl Crow. The album includes a song by Johnny Cash and another by June Carter Cash.

Many critics heralded John's choice to include lesser known Carter Family songs along with more familiar tunes.

"I just wanted quality songs to be there," he said. "There is this wonderful world of music out there just waiting to be reawakened."

The Carter Family legacy

After spending his teens and early 20s as a "rock 'n' roller," John said it was Laura who helped him to appreciate his musical legacy. Laura grew up listening to her father Pat Weber's Johnny Cash and Earl Scruggs albums. A fiddling champion who moved from Corvallis to Nashville, Tenn., when she was 18 to pursue a musical career, Laura met John after she was hired to play fiddle in June Carter Cash's band.

"He couldn't believe someone his age would be into the Carter Family music so much," Laura said. "I gave John a hard time about it. I think he just needed to see it through younger eyes."

John said he started to dig into the Carter Family catalog and realize the bigger picture of the family's history.

"They recorded over 300 songs," he said. "I started to have this passion to investigate their music. I figured I knew it all already, but I really didn't."

John said he thinks there are many music fans who still haven't discovered the Carter Family and early roots music. He thinks it is a natural process for this music to be explored.

And for many, Saturday's showing at the Star Cinema in Stayton might be a perfect primer for those wanting to start learning about American roots.

'Walk the Line'

John Carter Cash is executive producer of the film that chronicles the early career and love affair of his parents. The film stars Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash and Reese Witherspoon as June Carter Cash. John Carter Cash had a small part as a DJ, which he said was cut from the final version.

"It's a wonderful film," he said. "Joaquin sings all the music himself, and he is very believable. He captured my father's pain and struggle very well, as well as his triumphs."

John said he was hesitant at first when he heard both Phoenix and Witherspoon were going to do their own vocals without dubbing. But he said the result won him over.

"I've heard quite a few folks impersonate my dad, but Joaquin didn't approach it like that," he said.

"It wasn't a caricature. It was his own approach. I think this performance itself will do a lot to make Joaquin a big star. He's larger than life."

[email protected] or (503) 399-6743

September 16th, 2005 09:21 AM
Larry Dallas Thanks. I can't wait for Johnny Cash's American V due in November.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)