ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Filming the jungle
Iquitos Jungle, Perú 1981
Special thanks to Cucho Peñaloza
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: LIVE LICKS - WORTHWHILE? Return to archive
September 9th, 2005 12:34 PM
Egbert Would appreciate any feedback on Live Licks - been filling the gaps in my Stones collection and would like to know if LL is a worthwhile CD to have (I don't have 4 Flicks either).

How does LL stack up against Flashpoint, Stripped, No Security?

The live Stones I do have are Ya Yas, Brussels, Love You Live (all great), and Still Life (nothing special).
September 9th, 2005 12:39 PM
justinkurian I've listened to LL once...I've been watching FF a lot since the tour got underway - prepare me for next Tues and Thurs.

I ripped the sound from FF and I think it sounds a lot better than the mixing on LL. I think Jagger's voice is too high up in the mix.
September 9th, 2005 01:14 PM
jb An absolute piece of shit....worse live album ever.....
September 9th, 2005 01:32 PM
Sleepy London Clown C'mon JB, get off the fence and tell us what you really think!
September 9th, 2005 01:37 PM
BillyBoll If you havent got Stripped, you must have that. Its one of the best live ones.

And if you havent got Four Flicks then save your money on Live Licks and get it too!
September 9th, 2005 01:55 PM
hotlicks I agree with billyboll on strpped but try and get stripped companion as well.....i like live licks except for some terrible editing esp on rocks off.
September 9th, 2005 03:42 PM
mmdog
It's maligned because it came out so late and after 4 Flicks. However it's got a great track list and has a great guitar sound.
September 9th, 2005 03:49 PM
lotsajizz unless you have some Hartford or Atrlanta '02 boots, get 'Live Licks'.....great sound, great guitar-heavy mix, and apart from the hideous cuts talked about ad infinitum it is a good presentation of Licks tunage
September 9th, 2005 05:24 PM
Gazza The mix is fine but its a completely pointless release as its basically an edited recycle of the songs on Four Flicks

Buy the DVD instead. You get the visuals as well and far more songs.

the Stones clearly put some effort into the presentation of the DVD. Its quite obvious they never even listened to the final version of Live Licks. That tells you everything.
September 9th, 2005 06:31 PM
ListenToTheLion Live Licks is superfluous. Wanna get a good live cd? Buy Ya Ya's or Love you Live. Rest is bullshit.
[Edited by ListenToTheLion]
September 9th, 2005 08:32 PM
Riffhard It just goes to show how important a good producer is to the overall sound of an album. While I agree that the mix is nice. The complete abortion on the editing end has caused LL to sit in my cd rack collecting dust. The editing of Rocks Off is quite possibly the worst edit in the history of rock and roll. Flat out embarassing,and remember when Bob Clearmountain came on this very site and tried to defend it? The guy has done some brilliant work in the past,but I think he just missed the horrible edit this time. It was a needless release that was just another way for the Stones to add a few more coins in coffers,and judging by the sales of LL it was,indeed,only a few coins at that.

Riffhard
September 9th, 2005 08:44 PM
exile Get LOVE YOU LIVE instead
September 9th, 2005 09:09 PM
hotlicks handsome girls boot is a must
September 10th, 2005 12:46 AM
Egbert Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.
September 12th, 2005 09:47 PM
Bitch It's worth buying for:

THAT'S HOW STRONG MY LOVE IS - outstanding

ROCK ME BABY - rocks me all night long

WORRIED ABOUT YOU - MICK screams baby like I've never heard
September 16th, 2005 04:14 AM
wgwalsh Buy them both. The DVD set has a boot section that is on fire.

Been listening to some boots from this tour and the band sounds slow at times.

The Licks sets sound to be on time and played well, but the brass mix is in the back. The brass mix on BEFORE THEY MAKE ME RUN should be up front. It gives the song a dynamic dimension that most have yet to hear. This mix was played on the NO SECURITY TOUR in Cleveland. The hair on the back of my head stood up it was so powerful.

Stimulate the economy and your horizons.
September 16th, 2005 04:46 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I bought LL for Beast of Burden alone. I dont know what it is about that tune on that cd, but I love it.

In my opinion the best live albums are as follows

1- Stripped
2- No security
3- Love you live
4- Still Life
5- Flashpoint
6- Live Licks
September 16th, 2005 05:58 AM
Mathijs As you can buy LL for $5, just buy it and judge it yourself.

Mathijs
September 16th, 2005 07:17 AM
Gazza
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
I bought LL for Beast of Burden alone. I dont know what it is about that tune on that cd, but I love it.

In my opinion the best live albums are as follows

1- Stripped
2- No security
3- Love you live
4- Still Life
5- Flashpoint
6- Live Licks

eh? I'm assuming youve never heard Ya Yas or you've the strangest taste imaginable if you prefer all six of the above to it
September 16th, 2005 08:44 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I think ya yas goes without saying doesnt it?
September 16th, 2005 12:45 PM
padre
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
As you can buy LL for $5, just buy it and judge it yourself.
Mathijs

5 bucks?? Where? I think I'll get me one too.
September 16th, 2005 01:31 PM
Bruno Stone Ronnie rocks in When The Whip Comes Down.
September 16th, 2005 01:34 PM
voodoopug
quote:
padre wrote:

5 bucks?? Where? I think I'll get me one too.

ebay or used bins in record stores.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)