ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Fenway Park, Boston, MA - 21st August 2005
© and thanks Throbby!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ABB - 2 years ago today Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
11th September 2007 03:08 PM
jb It was, to date, the largest grossing tour in history, albeit less attended than the U2 tour...it also really stretched out to achieve those figures and U2 could have done the same as they were filling stadiums up to the max every night. Nonetheless, an astounding achievement by a band many have written off years ago.
On the negative side, the attendance, whether one wants to accept it or not, was really down in some venues, particularly the return "mini" tour and in many venues early on in Europe.
Also, the success of the tour never translated into success in the sales of ABB which incredibly, has still sold less than 600k copies in USA!!!! The Stones always were good for at least 2 million even in their later years. In fairness, all CD sales are down.
Lastly, this tour was definitely a roller coaster ride with many highs and lows....I agree, it was overall, a great success, but lets not pretend that everything was perfect. I love Keith and his sloppy playing...the boots from the Taylor era are sloppy and out of tune at times, but the playing is still awesome...this tour, for whatever reason(s), Keith had, to put it kindly, a very inconsistent presence. To his credit, he carried on despite a head injury, loss of a parent, and god else knows what. To his credit, from all reports, RW really stepped up, particularly in Europe....he also remains, imo, the most fan friendly stone on stage. Charlie, bless him, allowed all this to happen by agreeing to this despite having a serious health scare...he remained as usual a constant source of strength and back bone of the sound.
Jagger, as always, was in top form most of the tour. I was disappointed , but not surprised in the lack of risk taking as far as song selection. I was also disappointed to see once again, what appears to be an irreparable "riff" in his relationship with Keith. I believe if they really put the egos in check, they,like other mature artists, have the ability to put out another classic. ABB was OK for some bands, but this was the first new studio album in almost 7 yrs, and I was certainly disappointed.
Bottom line, some are content no matter what they put out and resent any criticism. I am of the school that hard core fans , like most here, have a right to criticize, but must circle the wagons when outsiders (i.e. press, other bands, etc.,) attack our band. It was a great tour and everyone could get in almost any show at any price level. I hope they carry on, listen to what we fans are saying, and scale it back a bit and play more songs that while might not be known be everyone, will be a different experience for all of us. many other artists like Springsteen, Dylan, etc have successfully done so, thus, why not the greatest band of all time?

[Edited by jb]
11th September 2007 03:28 PM
Gazza >I am of the school that hard core fans , like most here, have a right to criticize, but must circle the wagons when outsiders (i.e. press, other bands, etc.,) attack our band. It was a great tour and everyone could get in almost any show at any price level. I hope they carry on, listen to what we fans are saying, and scale it back a bit and play more songs that while might not be known be everyone, will be a different experience for all of us. many other artists like Springsteen, Dylan, etc have successfully done so, thus, why not the greatest band of all time?

agree with all of that
11th September 2007 03:30 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
jb wrote:
It was, to date, the largest grossing tour in history, albeit less attended than the U2 tour...it also really stretched out to achieve those figures and U2 could have done the same as they were filling stadiums up to the max every night. Nonetheless, an astounding achievement by a band many have written off years ago.
On the negative side, the attendance, whether one wants to accept it or not, was really down in some venues, particularly the return "mini" tour and in many venues early on in Europe.
Also, the success of the tour never translated into success in the sales of ABB which incredibly, has still sold less than 600k copies in USA!!!! The Stones always were good for at least 2 million even in their later years. In fairness, all CD sales are down.
Lastly, this tour was definitely a roller coaster ride with many highs and lows....I agree, it was overall, a great success, but lets not pretend that everything was perfect. I love Keith and his sloppy playing...the boots from the Taylor era are sloppy and out of tune at times, but the playing is still awesome...this tour, for whatever reason(s), Keith had, to put it kindly, a very inconsistent presence. To his credit, he carried on despite a head injury, loss of a parent, and god else knows what. To his credit, from all reports, RW really stepped up, particularly in Europe....he also remains, imo, the most fan friendly stone on stage. Charlie, bless him, allowed all this to happen by agreeing to this despite having a serious health scare...he remained as usual a constant source of strength and back bone of the sound.
Jagger, as always, was in top form most of the tour. I was disappointed , but not surprised in the lack of risk taking as far as song selection. I was also disappointed to see once again, what appears to be an irreparable "riff" in his relationship with Keith. I believe if they really put the egos in check, they,like other mature artists, have the ability to put out another classic. ABB was OK for some bands, but this was the first new studio album in almost 7 yrs, and I was certainly disappointed.
Bottom line, some are content no matter what they put out and resent any criticism. I am of the school that hard core fans , like most here, have a right to criticize, but must circle the wagons when outsiders (i.e. press, other bands, etc.,) attack our band. It was a great tour and everyone could get in almost any show at any price level. I hope they carry on, listen to what we fans are saying, and scale it back a bit and play more songs that while might not be known be everyone, will be a different experience for all of us. many other artists like Springsteen, Dylan, etc have successfully done so, thus, why not the greatest band of all time?

[Edited by jb]

Excellent synopsis jb....As a wagon circler from time to time I think you put it in perspective...Hopefully a Spring mini tour will give us another chance to share the spirit that is the Stones...welcome back hope you're feeling as on top of your game as this post...
11th September 2007 04:19 PM
Dan
quote:
jb wrote:
It was, to date, the largest grossing tour in history, albeit less attended than the U2 tour...it also really stretched out to achieve those figures and U2 could have done the same as they were filling stadiums up to the max every night. Nonetheless, an astounding achievement by a band many have written off years ago.

[Edited by jb]

I cried a little when I read this
11th September 2007 04:23 PM
glencar Joshy, less is more! Nicely written!
12th September 2007 07:14 PM
Lethargy I don't dislike it as much as Sway does, but I do think Bridges to Babylon and Voodoo Lounge are better, although Steel Wheels is worse.

quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
A dark day in Stones history.

12th September 2007 07:21 PM
Mikey
quote:
jb wrote:

[Edited by jb]

Well said.
12th September 2007 07:46 PM
Soldatti A Bigger Bang U.S sales: 540,229 units
Thanks Pecman from IORR.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)