ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Fenway Park, Boston, MA - 21st August 2005
© and thanks Throbby!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ABB - 2 years ago today Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
7th September 2007 01:06 PM
pdog
quote:
jb wrote:

Hey Pdog..hope all is well with the family. Really a shame we missed out at AC. Perhaps one last MSG summit if rumors are to be believed.

I don't know.. I'm really enjoying spending tons of money on other stuff...
7th September 2007 01:08 PM
jb
quote:
pdog wrote:

I don't know.. I'm really enjoying spending tons of money on other stuff...

What have you been purchasing?
7th September 2007 02:33 PM
pdog
quote:
jb wrote:

What have you been purchasing?

TV's, PS3, Extra family trips, secret special gift for the wife worth $7k. Just shit like that.... I'm also getting new ink for myself this year. It's very cool keeping the money, like Keefs said to do in 2005
7th September 2007 02:37 PM
jb Good for you.....I have been pretty sick, so not really enjoying much of the material things. When your young and they say if you have your health, you have everything, you kinda laugh it off. As you get older, how true it is. On the bright side, one poster thought I was dead, so I guess things could be worse.
7th September 2007 03:16 PM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
A Bigger Bang put to bed many's beleifs on the Stones having ended their quality out-put in the studio days. ....and if not it at least it gained almost everyones respect again.

Unfortunately that "almost everyone" excluded the people who made it and who soon couldnt be arsed playing the songs from it at the 147 shows they undertook in "promoting" it...
7th September 2007 03:19 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
jb wrote:
Good for you.....I have been pretty sick, so not really enjoying much of the material things. When your young and they say if you have your health, you have everything, you kinda laugh it off. As you get older, how true it is. On the bright side, one poster thought I was dead, so I guess things could be worse.

JB...Glad you're feeling better..yes health is something we take for granted..my heart attack last year put that in perspective for me....welcome back....
7th September 2007 03:29 PM
Mel Belli Glencar?

7th September 2007 03:32 PM
Mel Belli
7th September 2007 05:58 PM
MrPleasant Not a bad album. But, IMO, it's turning into one of the most overrated ones.
7th September 2007 06:15 PM
Dan I remember when it came out. Sapporo 12 pack cans were on sale for $6.99 at the local liquor store (!!!). I would grab a 12 pack on the way home from work, listen to ABB LOUD, totally digging it and getting really twisted. About a month later the sale ended, I got a different brand of beer and tried listening to another CD. Don't think I heard it since.
7th September 2007 08:32 PM
Jaggedblues I really like ABB, it's good solid rock 'n' roll, for the most part. Do I think it's in the same league with the Stones '60's and '70's output? Hell no, not even close. But I think it's a much more enjoyable listen than any other music that has come out in the last few years.
7th September 2007 08:44 PM
TomL c u and P at MSG. How r u my Fla friend?
7th September 2007 09:52 PM
Soldatti
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
A Bigger Bang put to bed many's beleifs on the Stones having ended their quality out-put in the studio days. ....and if not it at least it gained almost everyones respect again.

LMFAO!!!!!
I played the album for so many people during this two years, at work, friends, family... the reaction and comments were unanimous: weak songwriting, weak guitars and bad lyrics. For the same people Steel Wheels was an ok album and VL was by far the best since Undercover.

I can't believe Ian you say ABB gained everyones respect again, its ridiculous, it doesn't happen at least since Tattoo You, Voodoo Lounge is by far the best album since then and the overall reaction (public and critic) was way more friendly than ABB.
8th September 2007 03:41 AM
_Boomy_ Drunk as a Skunk....
8th September 2007 04:39 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

LMFAO!!!!!
I played the album for so many people during this two years, at work, friends, family... the reaction and comments were unanimous: weak songwriting, weak guitars and bad lyrics. For the same people Steel Wheels was an ok album and VL was by far the best since Undercover.

I can't believe Ian you say ABB gained everyones respect again, its ridiculous, it doesn't happen at least since Tattoo You, Voodoo Lounge is by far the best album since then and the overall reaction (public and critic) was way more friendly than ABB.

In a word. "NOW". Now you have the complainers. Now you have people saying "well it isn't that great". Now, not then. 8-9 out of 10 were really digging it the first couple weeks it was out and were pleased and enthusiastic about the album. there is only one person I played the album to that did not like it. He did not like the digital, up-front production of it. All the rest were really suprised at how good it was and how great it sounds.

BTW "Weak Guitars" on ABB? Really? Are "YOU" serious on this one?...

See: "Rough Justice:, See "It Won't Take Long", See "She Saw Me Coming", See "Look What The Cat Dragged in", See "Driving too fast". Even Streets of Love has a big guitar based sound. It has been coined the "power" ballad for a reason. Weak Guitars? I suppose "Dangerous Beauty" as well has weak guitars then?...

[Edited by IanBillen]
8th September 2007 09:55 AM
speedfreakjive Dangerous Beauty and ONNYA are the only ok songs on it
8th September 2007 01:00 PM
Gazza IanBillen wrote
quote:

Why? Come on. The dude doesn't like the way the board is lately so he quits posting forever....?

But hey man come on, why quit posting? Because not everyone agrees with you? If this was the case I guess I would be quitting every day.

No. he quit posting after the Stones played the Deutsche Bank gig in Barcelona because he despised what the Stones have come to stand for. It was nothing to do with this board or the people who post here.

8th September 2007 01:14 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl It passes the DD&H Test after more than two years!

http://novogate.com/board/968/Archives/09-21-2005/215586-1.html
8th September 2007 01:17 PM
pdog
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
It has been coined the "power" ballad for a reason.

You're the only one who has ever said that... Dude it ain't powerful. It's the holding hands and skipping down the street ballad.
8th September 2007 02:19 PM
fireontheplatter i don't listen to it much these day, but when i do i find myself listenting to a select few cuts.
these days i am more into my recent new stones bootlegs and some of teir earlier cd's from the 70's...

abb is still good tho. i enjoy it.
9th September 2007 01:38 AM
IanBillen
quote:
pdog wrote:

You're the only one who has ever said that... Dude it ain't powerful. It's the holding hands and skipping down the street ballad.

pdog,

I am not the only one who has ever said that. There was an entire thread on this very topic and many here stated it was a "power ballad" and even compared it to Bonjovi, and Aerosmith in that respect.

Ian
9th September 2007 01:52 AM
IanBillen In response to the reason SS quit posting:

Gazza,

Sir Stonesalot was "looking" for a reason to give up the Rolling Stones for a long time now. I know it, you know it, and even though they may not come right out and say it....the entire board realizes it.

He has had almost nothing positive to say about The Stones in like five plus years...

Lets be real, The Stones did nothing in Barcelona that they have not done many times before.

There is no straw that broke the camels back. Rather, he was just looking to raise some ears or something and tell us this so we could beg him to stay or something. I lost a degree of respect to a point. In many ways it seems he was "posing" even being a fan and was more of a whiner more than anything eles.

Now he quits posting because of a certain gig. That's gay. Couldn't he of found a better reason than that...like maybe "my dog ate my home work".

I am not talking behind his back either. I would say this to him directly. All that macho BS....please. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and thought he was having a bad few weeks and that he "may" return to explain that.

That hasn't happend and this is the lamest excuse I have ever heard. I don't like being a judge, or talking about someone when they are not around *(how about the irony there, this is what I am bitching about in the first place), but I gotta say it seems he just wants to be a big baby in deciding he now does not want to even post, but rather he may look in and read the board. It is almost like going on a message board hunger strike or something... give us a break ok.

-and Guess what, I bet more people agree with me on this post than maybe any other post in which I have stated my personal opinion, weather they admit it or not.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
9th September 2007 03:08 AM
mrhipfl You wanna why Sir Stonesalot left? He ran out of room in his wall of IanBillen quotes.

lol, just kidding.
9th September 2007 11:16 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

pdog,

I am not the only one who has ever said that. There was an entire thread on this very topic and many here stated it was a "power ballad" and even compared it to Bonjovi, and Aerosmith in that respect.

Ian

..well, if anyone was needing a barometer to measure 'suckiness', I think you've just provided it...
[Edited by Gazza]
9th September 2007 12:10 PM
gimmekeef Ian Billen has to be the Chuck Wepner of posters..Gotta admire someone who keeps getting knocked down..but marches on...
9th September 2007 11:15 PM
IanBillen
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
You wanna why Sir Stonesalot left? He ran out of room in his wall of IanBillen quotes.

lol, just kidding.

lol I actually thought that was pretty funny. I never "tried" to have him throw anything up there though. It just happend and you know I took the joke for what it was. Alright I said enough about him in negativity upon his decision to leave. You know how I feel about that at his point...

So I'll leave this on a positive note. He had a pretty decent sense of humor and was fairly intelligent. That is true of him as well.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
10th September 2007 02:50 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

It is designed to be played LOUD (and on a hot day).

Ian, please ...how do you tell what sort of weather a cd is "designed" to be played at??

TIA
10th September 2007 01:40 PM
IanBillen
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

Ian, please ...how do you tell what sort of weather a cd is "designed" to be played at??

TIA

Just look at the albums liner notes. It very specifically states: "This album is to be played very loud, not even medim loud, and on a hot day. Preferably in the July and August months". Per Mick Jagger and Keith Richards....

Ian
10th September 2007 02:27 PM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Just look at the albums liner notes. It very specifically states: "This album is to be played very loud, not even medim loud, and on a hot day. Preferably in the July and August months".

aaah...That explains why they didnt play any songs from it during the other ten months of the year, then...!
10th September 2007 02:51 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:

aaah...That explains why they didnt play any songs from it during the other ten months of the year, then...!

lol, it does sound good in the summer though
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)