ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia, PA September 18, 2002
by Fernando Aceves

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: rocks off pre msg party Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
09-15-02 04:49 PM
cwatts07644 what bar can we meet at before msg
09-15-02 04:58 PM
Gazza we're working on it. Personally,I think somewhere right beside the arena isnt necessarily a great idea because it'll be so packed with concert goers,it'll be hard to FIND everyone.. maybe a few blocks uptown or downtown,perhaps?

would getting a side-room reserved in a bar be a possibility since we're talking about 25 or more of us getting together?
09-15-02 05:19 PM
sirmoonie Check out these private party deals at Faces and Names. (Thanks to my valet, Joey, for the link)

http://facesandnames.citysearch.com/5.html

Open bar for 3 hours for approx 45 bones. Or, for the high falutin' set, open bar with "Top Shelf" liquies for 3 hours for approx 55 boners. Hard to beat them deals, this side of Poughkeepsie.

The place blows doors. Stones pickie in the wall. ER is on the jukie and Dance Pt.1 sounds sooooooo freakin' good coming out of that soundsystem. They got these Irish dudes doing all the Irish are good at - slinging Guinnies! And Jude, well, I'll let Joey tell you about Jude. Forget Ginger Lynn and her strap on act. Jude, can do fingercuffs like this month's Pet on Spanish Fly!

I think its Stones party central, my friends. I really do.

Then again, it does involve like pooling money together in a coordinated fashion, and that seems to be pretty tricking around here for some reason....

R.I.P.S.P.I.V.

"Help me, help help me, Ronnie!"
09-15-02 05:26 PM
Moonisup sirmoonie:

I asked about the spanking, she wouldn't do it

not lol

The spanking dutchman

rik
09-15-02 05:41 PM
sirmoonie MUppie, MUppie, MUppie, you don't just go in and say "Hey babe, rough day. Get me a beer, will ya. Tx, babe. Say, mind if I slap you on the ass tonight?" Of course, they're gonna say no! I surprised she didn't biff-channel you in the crotch. You gotta work it in at the right moment and right degree. Real smooth, like Valentino or Romeo or another one of them poncy types that chicks dig. Like I said finesse. You savy finesse, MUpster?

Tell you what, next time I'm over there, I'll take the little lady out for a few drinks and lay the groundwork for you. Okay? Allright, be seeing ya. You stay cool, now. Right on.
09-15-02 05:43 PM
Moonisup I tried it very very nice!! We where on the jazz yesterday, well I'll wait for your report

lol

The spanking dutchman

Rik
[Edited by Moonisup]
09-15-02 06:00 PM
sirmoonie Oh for Piet's sake, MUppie! The worse time to ask her is when she's "on the jazz"! You know how they get then, don't you? I'm surprised she didn't channel-lock your crank to a friggin' windmill and dance around your agony writhen body singing Tiptoe Through The Tulips.

Jeez, MUp, use the old noggin a bit more, will ya? Your chances of making C10A are at absolute zero at the moment.
09-15-02 06:07 PM
Gazza well thats 20 blocks north of MSG,so thats not too far

does "open bar" just mean you drink all you want/can? subject to it being "top shelf"

cost-wise its maybe cheaper than the SPIV (RIP) - thing is,we mightnt NEED 55 people,so somewhere with a lower cost per head might suit some people.

Basically,I'm fine with whatever we can arrange for a few hours pre-show at this late stage(and if theres any post-show boozing too!!)

If anyone's arranging something,I'll gladly forward my own deposit - whether it gets there before I do in 10 days time though is another thing!

What does everyone who's going think?
09-15-02 07:16 PM
Maxmeister
quote:
Gazza wrote:

What does everyone who's going think?

What ever the majority wants is fine with me. The open bar may not be cost effective unless a person is going to do some heavy drinking.
As far as the venue, no wall to wall crowd should be a priority.
Mustang Harry's was mentioned to me by AZQB. Is that close to MSG? If so, the crowd factor may be a problem.
We need more input from the NYC area posters.
Eleven days and counting!!!

Rick
09-15-02 07:42 PM
scope Mustang Harry's is a few blocks from MSG and I think would be a bit crowded. Their web site talks about a mezzanine level, and maybe we could reserve something there to limit the crowds. Check them out at http://207.198.70.121/home.html

As for Faces and Names, I just called them to get some info on the party room. The person that handles that stuff will be in tomorrow afternoon so I'll call back. But the guy I talked to did say that although the room can handle up to 70 people, they could set up a separate area for a smaller group to hang out. He said that prices vary depending on what alcohol we want. He made it sound like you could opt for beer and wine only which may be cheaper. I'll post more info after 4:00 NY time tomorrow.

There is another place in this same area that Maxlugar recommended, but I can't remember it. Max - please re-post that info.
FYI, 20 blocks is approx. 1 mile (don't ask me what that is in kilometers).

- scope (NYCxx) xx= number to be determined

09-15-02 08:54 PM
Ken I think SFJ/AOL'ers used Mustang Harrys in 98.
Undercover used Walters. Undercover will use Walters again this year. May I suggest using one of those location and just get Rcoks Off name tags so you guys can search each other out?
Walters is small and will surely be packed. I wondered over to Mustang Harrys and found plenty of room in there. It's much bigger and has two floors.

Ken
09-15-02 09:44 PM
Maxmeister
quote:
Ken wrote:
I think SFJ/AOL'ers used Mustang Harrys in 98.
Undercover used Walters. Undercover will use Walters again this year. May I suggest using one of those location and just get Rcoks Off name tags so you guys can search each other out?
Walters is small and will surely be packed. I wondered over to Mustang Harrys and found plenty of room in there. It's much bigger and has two floors.

Ken

I think Stonesdoug is using Walter's so that place will be overflowing. Mustang Harry's and Faces and Names sound like they have potential. Also, the place that Maxlugar mentioned several days ago.

Rick
09-15-02 10:03 PM
Maxmeister
quote:
scope wrote:
Mustang Harry's is a few blocks from MSG and I think would be a bit crowded. Their web site talks about a mezzanine level, and maybe we could reserve something there to limit the crowds. Check them out at http://207.198.70.121/home.html

As for Faces and Names, I just called them to get some info on the party room. The person that handles that stuff will be in tomorrow afternoon so I'll call back. But the guy I talked to did say that although the room can handle up to 70 people, they could set up a separate area for a smaller group to hang out. He said that prices vary depending on what alcohol we want. He made it sound like you could opt for beer and wine only which may be cheaper. I'll post more info after 4:00 NY time tomorrow.

There is another place in this same area that Maxlugar recommended, but I can't remember it. Max - please re-post that info.
FYI, 20 blocks is approx. 1 mile (don't ask me what that is in kilometers).

- scope (NYCxx) xx= number to be determined

Scope, thanks very much for doing some of the leg work.
The reservations at Harry's looks as if it has potential as well as Faces.
Including the place that Maxlugar suggested, I'm sure we'll come up with a good meeting place.
Cold, cold beer has to be one of the priorities. Maybe some Stones music too.

Rick
09-15-02 10:27 PM
scope I found the message from Maxlugar, and have reprinted it here, hoping like hell that I don't get sued for violating any Maxy copyright laws. Or I could just pretend I'm Joey.

MAXLUGAR QUOTE:
Faces and names is s little too upscale for this bunch. It's a good place for finger food and quick business lunches.
I suggest Ye Old Triple Inn on 54th and 8th (Right across from Studio 54). Directly 20 blocks above MSG. It has Stones on the juke and it's darked, Exileish skank will go good with our Stonesian revelry.
Or we can get someplace closer to MSG.
END QUOTE
09-15-02 10:36 PM
Stonesdoug If you're all looking for something to do Sunday night in Manhattan, join us all at Iggys; 2nd Avenue just below 76th St. they have a ton of Stone's karaoke (even Shattered_)==plus 4 Stones albums on the juke and 2 beautiful bartenders.
09-16-02 07:57 AM
Maxlugar Ye Old Triple Inn has Hot Rocks and Stripped on the Juke. It's a short walk to the E train which is two stops to MSG.

Also, we used the Flatiron Grill in '97. Does anyone know what happened to Knockin'? He was part owner of that joint.

09-16-02 08:07 AM
nankerphelge Whereever we end up, we need to make sure sheep are welcome. Livestock policy is important to me...
09-16-02 08:53 AM
Sir Stonesalot Ye Olde Triple X Inn sounds good to me! I likes riding the train.
09-16-02 09:06 AM
scope
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Ye Olde Triple X Inn sounds good to me! I likes riding the train.

Triple X - lol; perfect for this group based on that Igottabone thread over the weekend!
09-16-02 09:10 AM
Dandelion*
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Whereever we end up, we need to make sure sheep are welcome. Livestock policy is important to me...

Then it should be the Juniata County Singles Club - only a 4 1/2 hour train ride back to MSG...

I'm all for a small cozy place. In regard to the open bar thingy - I for one don't drink much - one glass of wine is about all I'll need. I know FPM isn't a big drinker either.
09-16-02 09:47 AM
Maxlugar Here's what some people are saying about Ye Old Triple Inn per Murphy's Bar New York Bar Guide:

Comments - It's a cheesy, no-frills kind of bar with excellent holiday spirit and a good, varied beer selection. A great place to come hang with a
group of friends. - F.J.

Enter a time warp that takes you back several decades to a New York before Disney, Giuliani, and the rest. Small dark bar up front, back room
with checkered table cloths, reasonably priced drinks, live band on Monday nights. Suzie Felber hosts Felber's Frolics, a comedy revue, every
Saturday night. - S.M.

Heard it said that Siberia is the least pretentious bar in Midtown but it comes second to Ye Olde Tripple. Check out the One-Armed Urinal
push-ups in the mens room. -A.E.

The Trip, as it's known, is a rare New York bar. Located in Midtown, it's neither a dive nor a tourist trap. Decorations from every holiday are on
display 365 days a year. Recent renovations means the bar is bigger, the floors shiny new and you don't need to fear a dart in the face when you
walk in the door. The food is good, affordable and the kitchen surprisingly spotless. Best of all, a FREE 10 piece big band plays on most Monday
nights, with a well known leader, Tim Ouimette. There's also FREE comedy show on Saturday nights with Felber's Frolics. Hosted by a hilarious
brother & sister team, this show now regularly draws big crowds. The day has its own vibe... neighborhood regulars mix with corporate types and
Letterman staff. FYI: The day bartender and the day waitresses are far warmer than the night staff. I've seen bars come and go but this is a
keeper. Bathrooms could be better, but waddya gonna do? - F.D.

The Tripple is a haven from the turbulent Manhattan rat race. It's much like a neighborhood bar one would find in any small town, only it's smack
right in the middle of the city. The service is friendly, the place has unique charm and the price is reasonable. - T.W.

A fine old New York bar with loads of atmosphere. The food isn't gonna put anyone else out of business, but it's reasonably priced and reasonably
good. Sadly, the kind of place that has almost become extinct in New York City. - G.L.

Maxy!
09-16-02 09:52 AM
nankerphelge Still nothing about livestock -- but otherwise, sounds great!
09-16-02 09:56 AM
Maxlugar Well Mustang Harry's has horses.....

You need to get up on a step stool but hell, it's worth it.

"Get up on a step stool and butt fuck a pony, Ronnie!"

09-16-02 10:01 AM
Joey When in NYC , there is but one bar that you must visit :

http://facesandnames.citysearch.com/1.html

Everything else pales in comparison .

Skittles

09-16-02 10:05 AM
Maxmeister A cheesy no frills bar? Other than the lack of sheep, this place meets the criteria for this bunch.
NYC, NYC, NYC!! Ten days and counting.

Rick
09-16-02 10:22 AM
patioaintdry i'll be in NYC for the show and just invited myself. i'm staying in midtown and my drinking has gone the way of Ronnie Wood, so I don't care where the assembled meet, as long as it's a dump! I have had success in DC bringing my own CD's to joints, overriding the juke (if it sucks) and taking over an establishments sound system with the Stones. As a retired bartender, money talks and it can be done.
09-16-02 10:22 AM
Sir Stonesalot I offically nominate Ye Olde Triple X Inn as the official site of the Official NYC Summit of the Rock's Off Official Message Board Poster's Society, officially.

Do I have officially, an official second, to my official nomination.

Just so it's all official.
09-16-02 10:23 AM
nankerphelge I second that most official post
09-16-02 10:29 AM
Sir Stonesalot OK, the Ye Olde 3X is officially nominated. I now open the thread to other nominations.
09-16-02 10:39 AM
Joey I nominate :

Ye old Nittany Lions kick serious butt this year .

Sir Joey

Page: 1 2 3