ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia, PA September 18, 2002
by Fernando Aceves

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: tape of mick, keith, dick Return to archive
09-14-02 03:45 PM
wkoetke Hi all:

I just read the (mostly lame) book "Old Gods Mostly Dead", and among the dozens of interesting tidbits I'm curious about is the story about Mick Jagger outbidding everyone in an auction for a reel tape containing "a bunch of rock and roll songs featuring Mick, Keith, and Dick Taylor."

So...a few questions: a) is this a true story, and b) if so, does a copy of this tape (presumably mick has the master now) exist? Has anyone heard it? I'm sure it's not that musically englightening but damm, what a historically significant collectors item!!

Just curious

Walt
09-14-02 04:11 PM
posada
quote:
posada wrote:

It looks kinda funny when you see it in the list of topics!
[Edited by posada]

You changed it now, so now my post doesn't make any sense. But I was just wondering, how did you edit this? When I tried to do that to my thread, it told me I couldn't because I wasn't an administrator.
09-14-02 04:19 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I did it! Then I deleted both replies as they don't make sense anymore.

If some of you make a typo, spelling or grammar mistake, or simply want to change the name of the thread just sent us an e-mail... clicking here
09-14-02 06:04 PM
Gazza >I just read the (mostly lame) book "Old Gods Mostly Dead", and among the dozens of interesting tidbits I'm curious about is the story about Mick Jagger outbidding everyone in an auction for a reel tape containing "a bunch of rock and roll songs featuring Mick, Keith, and Dick Taylor."

This must be one of the occasions in that shitty book where Davis actually used reliable sources because its true.

A reel to reel tape of Little Boy Blue & The Blue Boys came up for auction at Sotheby's in London a few years back (I think it was around the "Voodoo Lounge" era). I think it was recorded at one of the kids' houses around 1960. There was a big fuss at the time about it being Mick & Keith's first recording together and obviously everyne was hoping it would see the light of day amongst collectors. It wasnt to be - Jagger actually bid anonymously..it wasnt announced until afterwards who the "winner" of the bid was! Either he was self conscious about how crappy he may have sounded or (more likely) he was keeping it for possible future use!

09-14-02 06:36 PM
posada
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
If some of you make a typo, spelling or grammar mistake, or simply want to change the name of the thread just sent us an e-mail... clicking here

Thanks for the info. I was wondering how to do that.
09-14-02 06:59 PM
beer Isn't this the recording of them doing little queenie/around and around/ La Bamba and two others? I have about a minute of this recorded.it's like a medley of 5 songs, none complete though. I am not positive it is Little boy blue and the blue boys but i was told thats what it is. Mick sounds very young and it's just him singing and two other guitars, no drums.
09-14-02 07:15 PM
Pants Make the Man I picked up the new coverback version of "Old Gods Almost Dead" to see if it had been revised or updated for the new tour. To my surprise, it has been updated. No surprise, Stephen Davis rake's the band over the coal's: Their collective age, Eternal God-Paul McCartney- has cheaper ticket prices, Goddess in the Doorway, Hot Rocks redux-40 Licks, etc, *blah* *blah* *blah*. The Stones are rolling all over his sorry ass. Stephen, honey baby, listen, Led Zeppelin is thru, finis, kaput. Aerosmith is still Stones-lite.
09-14-02 07:47 PM
Mother baby
quote:
Pants Make the Man wrote:
, Aerosmith is still Stones-lite.

Stones lite? You're very generous. I like Aerosmith all right but they're not even close to the Stones IMO.
09-14-02 08:23 PM
Soul Survivor
quote:
beer wrote:
Isn't this the recording of them doing little queenie/around and around/ La Bamba and two others? I have about a minute of this recorded.it's like a medley of 5 songs, none complete though. I am not positive it is Little boy blue and the blue boys but i was told thats what it is. Mick sounds very young and it's just him singing and two other guitars, no drums.

I think it's on the boot "Reelin' And Rockin'"
09-14-02 09:18 PM
Pants Make the Man I agree, Mother baby. I just mentioned Aerosmith and Led Zeppelin because those are the other two band's that Stephen Davis has chronicled along with the Rolling Stones. Even with all of the slagging he does of the Stones in "O.G.A.D.", it's still a much more interesting read than "Walk This Way" or "Hammer of the Gods".
09-14-02 11:47 PM
Soul Survivor And isnt walk this way a "little" book?
09-15-02 02:54 AM
Pants Make the Man It's an easy read. I'm not sure how many pages in length it is, but it's really boring. This chick told me that I just had to read it and let me borrow it. Stephen Davis seem's to take Aerosmith quite seriously, while spending much energy ripping the Stones. Me'thinks he is bass ackward's! That's too bad because he'll make more money from that Rolling Stones book than the 'Zeppelin and 'Smith books combined.
09-16-02 08:51 AM
lilavati I'm just curious...how much did Mick pay for it?
[Edited by lilavati]
09-16-02 09:12 AM
Pants Make the Man I don't know how much Stephen Davis got paid for writing that book.
09-16-02 11:04 AM
juantcb I think Mick paid about 50 or 60,000 GBP.
09-16-02 03:24 PM
Pants Make the Man Oh. Pardon me. I was in the right place at the wrong time.