ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Bent Rej with special thanks to Alexstones from Chile!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAΡOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New Jerry Lee CD Featuring Kid Rock, Don Henley, and Toby Keith On Sale Today Return to archive
14th September 2006 01:06 PM
Sir Stonesalot I just cannot bring myself to buy it.

I've sworn to be Henley free....
14th September 2006 01:20 PM
Nellcote Use the skip track button on your cd player, and enjoy the rest of it.
14th September 2006 01:23 PM
glencar SS hates Toby Keith but Toby gets good wtite-ups in the music press. Almost as good as the Dixie Twats.
14th September 2006 01:33 PM
Nellcote Toby Keith's video's are a hoot.
14th September 2006 01:36 PM
glencar I was amazed when the NY Times gave Toby Keith a rave. They ripped the D Twats a new one for their attitude.
14th September 2006 01:39 PM
Nellcote Ford Sponsorship?
14th September 2006 01:42 PM
Sir Stonesalot Nelly...that CD is tainted, skip button be damned.

It will NEVER infect my Henley free music collection.
14th September 2006 01:42 PM
Fiji Joe Someone give me a review on this...I, like SS, would like to remain Henley free at all costs
14th September 2006 01:47 PM
Nellcote From AMG

Last Man Standing four out of five stars

It often seems like there are only two ways for rock, country, and blues veterans to launch comebacks when they're senior citizens: confront mortality head on or surround yourself with superstar guests to help carry you through a half-hearted stroll through your back catalog, scattering a few new tunes along the way. At first glance, Jerry Lee Lewis' Last Man Standing seems to fall into both categories: the title suggests that Jerry Lee is in the mood to take a long look back, and certainly the very concept of the album — pairing Lewis with 21 other stars for a succession of duets, often on material that his guests either wrote or made famous — seems like a typical superstar duet record. But the Killer has never been predictable, and nowhere is that truer than it is here, where Jerry Lee treats Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, John Fogerty, Bruce Springsteen, Jimmy Page, and 16 other stars as he treated the Nashville Teens at the Star Club in 1964 — as game amateurs who have to sprint to keep up with the master. This is the only guest-studded superstar album where all the guests bend to the will of the main act, who dominates the proceedings in every conceivable way. Jerry Lee doesn't just run the guests ragged; he turns their songs inside out, too — and nowhere is that clearer than on the opening "Rock and Roll," the Led Zeppelin classic that is now stripped of its signature riff and sounds as if it were a lost gem dug out of the Sun vaults. Far from struggling with this, Jimmy Page embraces it, following the Killer as he runs off on his own course — he turns into support, and the rest of other 20 guests follow suit (with the possible exception of Kid Rock, who sounds like the party guest who won't go home on an otherwise strong version of "Honky Tonk Woman").

The label might sell Last Man Standing on the backs of the duet partners — after all, it's awful hard to drum up interest in a record by a 71-year-old man no matter how great he is, so you need a hook like superstars — but the album by no stretch of the imagination belongs to them. This is completely Jerry Lee's show from the second that he calls out, "It's been a long time since I rock & rolled," at the beginning of the record — and those are true words, since he hasn't rocked on record in a long, long time. Ten years ago he cut the Andy Paley-produced Young Blood, but that was a typically tasteful self-conscious comeback record; it was driven as much by the producer's conception of the artist as it was the artist himself. The opposite is true here, where the production is simple and transparent, never interfering with the performances; it has the welcome effect of making it sound like there is simply no way to tame Jerry Lee, even though he's now in his seventies. And that doesn't mean that this is merely a hard-rocking record, although "Rock and Roll," "Pink Cadillac," and "Travelin' Band" do indeed rock harder than anything he's done since the '70s — so hard that they stand proudly next to his classic Sun records, even if they don't have the unbridled fire of those peerless sides. No, this album touches on everything that Jerry Lee has done musically through his career, as the furious rock & roll is balanced by pure hardcore country, pile-driving boogie woogie, rambling blues, old-timey folk songs, and, especially, reinterpretations of familiar songs that are so thoroughly reimagined they seem like they were written specifically for Jerry Lee. And he does this the same way he's always done it: by singing and playing the hell out of the songs. His phrasing remains original and unpredictable, twisting phrases in unexpected ways — and, yes, throwing his name into the mix frequently, too — and his piano is equally vigorous and vital. This is a record that stays true to his music, and in doing so, it's not so much a comeback as it is a summation: a final testament from a true American original, one that explains exactly why he's important. But that makes Last Man Standing sound too serious, as if it were one of those self-consciously morbid Johnny Cash records — no, this is a record that celebrates life, both in its joys and sorrows, and it's hard not to see it as nothing short of inspiring.

[Edited by Nellcote]
14th September 2006 01:49 PM
Sir Stonesalot They have been playing cuts off of it on Underground Garage, Sirius 25. I heard the Little Richard song. It was pretty cool.

None of the dreaded asshole 3 tracks though.
14th September 2006 01:51 PM
Nellcote There's another thread with a player on it where you can hear all of the tracks in their entirety.
I cannot recall the Henley track, as I pressed skip.
14th September 2006 02:11 PM
Larry Dallas I heard the duet with Kid Rock on Sirius Outlaw Country. I'm not too impressed, but he rest of the record sounds good. I didn't think it was coming out until the 26th though. So it's in stores??

You can listen to the whole record at this link

http://www.clearchannelmusic.com/cc-common/mfeatures/jerryleelewisOD/
14th September 2006 02:27 PM
gypsy
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I've sworn to be Henley free....

I guess I'll be returning the henley I bought you for Christmas.
14th September 2006 02:41 PM
Sir Stonesalot That would be for the best my dear. I'm sorry. I thought you knew me better.

Honestly though, all I need for Christmas is you with a bow on yer nipples.

Now that's a package that would be fun to open! but I'm not sure that World Class Rack would fit under my tree...or down the chimney!
14th September 2006 02:43 PM
glencar Is this Kid Rock on HTW? He's awful...
14th September 2006 02:54 PM
glencar I like the song w/KR!
14th September 2006 03:07 PM
F505 I refuse to buy any cd with Kid Rock on it, one of the biggest cocksuckers in history of rock. Kid Cock would be a more appropriate name for this piece of garbage.
[Edited by F505]
14th September 2006 03:08 PM
glencar If the Stones are on it, I'm buying.
14th September 2006 03:23 PM
gypsy
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Honestly though, all I need for Christmas is you with a bow on yer nipples.

Now that's a package that would be fun to open! but I'm not sure that World Class Rack would fit under my tree...or down the chimney!

Eww!
14th September 2006 03:26 PM
SteveMiller How come I didn't get asked to be on this album, Fly Like An Eagle!
14th September 2006 03:55 PM
Nasty Habits I like the album OK. It reminds me of all them Willie Nelson duet albums from the late 70s/early 80s, and is in fact kind of modelled after them. It's weird, as in good weird, and is Killer Weird from the 70s, when he was making strangely personal albums for Mercury and playing weird small club gigs and releasing them on Tomato. It is definitely a real JLL album, unlike the very fake sounding Youngblood, which was his last studio LP.

I would have liked it more if the killer would have gone it alone on this exact selection of tracks.

Henley is insufferable, as are Kid Rock (altho that arrangement of HTW is kind of funny and JLL was born to sing that song), Ringo, and Rod. The Toby Keith track is less horrific than I could have imagined, and it pisses me off that Jerry doesn't take a piano solo on the track with Eric Clapton so as to cut him to pieces.

As far as I can tell on a couple of listens the really good tracks are Rock and Roll (which has been waiting to happen for 30 years), Evening Gown, Twilight, and the Merle and George tracks. Oh yeah, Jerry Lee and Keith harmonizing is magical.

But if a Henley-free collection is necessary to maintaining a poster's sense of manhood then I don't think that it's worth the internal humiliation that its presence would cause. Said poster should find him a copy of Southern Roots instead.
14th September 2006 03:57 PM
glencar
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
I like the album OK. It reminds me of all them Willie Nelson duet albums from the late 70s/early 80s, and is in fact kind of modelled after them. It's weird, as in good weird, and is Killer Weird from the 70s, when he was making strangely personal albums for Mercury and playing weird small club gigs and releasing them on Tomato. It is definitely a real JLL album, unlike the very fake sounding Youngblood, which was his last studio LP.

I would have liked it more if the killer would have gone it alone on this exact selection of tracks.

Henley is insufferable, as are Kid Rock (altho that arrangement of HTW is kind of funny and JLL was born to sing that song), Ringo, and Rod. The Toby Keith track is less horrific than I could have imagined, and it pisses me off that Jerry doesn't take a piano solo on the track with Eric Clapton so as to cut him to pieces.

As far as I can tell on a couple of listens the really good tracks are Rock and Roll (which has been waiting to happen for 30 years), Evening Gown, Twilight, and the Merle and George tracks. Oh yeah, Jerry Lee and Keith harmonizing is magical.

But if a Henley-free collection is necessary to maintaining a poster's sense of manhood then I don't think that it's worth the internal humiliation that its presence would cause. Said poster should find him a copy of Southern Roots instead.

What a fine post!
14th September 2006 08:21 PM
mrhipfl B.B. rules on "Before the night is over"
15th September 2006 08:43 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Don Henley's still around?????
I thought he left the building.
15th September 2006 12:36 PM
Sir Stonesalot Awwww Gyps...why ya gotta make me:

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)