ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Bent Rej with special thanks to Alexstones from Chile!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Goats Head Soup And The Downfall Of The Rolling Stones Return to archive Page: 1 2
13th September 2006 06:14 PM
IrelandCalling4 'Goats Head Soup' --

Must say I agree with the HonkyTonkMan on this one,for 'Goats' is one of my favourite rolling stones albums,always has been. As another poster also mentioned,the album is slightly marred by the lyrical disaster that is "Dancing with Mr.D",which is,arguably,the first stones caricature track. It smacks of a lesser band trying to recreate 'Sympathy'..

My 'GHS' starts though with the wonderful,funky '100 Years Ago',with great lyrics and a wonderful funk-out to the fade with Mick T sizzling. Soke favourite would be the likes of 'Winter',which is simply spectacular,a towering ballad,easily up there,or,whisper it,even surpassing 'Moonlight Mile'. A tour de force,it's just so damn good. 'Can You Hear the Music',again,agree,a sound reminiscent of the sixties & Brian era,and a lovely guitar-duet in the middle of the song. 'Silver Train',with Bill's insistent bass,Mick's wailing harp and Keef's boackground vocals,a real rock'n'roll groover,great stuff.

As well as the 9 tracks on the album(discounting 'Dancing with Mr.Whomever"^),the sessions had quite a few more gems -- Maybe Gazza could tell me if I'm wrong here,but,the GHS sessions had wonderful songs like 'Waiting on a Friend','Fast Talking','Criss Cross Mind','Tops' & 'Through the Lonely Nights'?

There's just something very special about the whole mood,atmosphere and feel of the record,it is the last of that era,in a way,the final druggy chapter. Things did definitely change with IORR,while not a bad album -- even with sterling stuff like 'FingerPrint File','Luxury' & Time Waits For No One'-- it did sound in places a wee bit more generic,it just sounded 'off'. They didn't sound inspired,it's the first lazy stones album IMHO,a marking-time record. GHS and IORR sound like two very different worlds,even though they were release within a year of each other.

While IORR was a big change,I don't think the rot set in until 1980 though,with the woeful 'Emotional Rescue',it shocks even today to hear it,the absolute surplass of bland,generic and half-written songs on the bloody thing. You can enjoy it ironically of course,as someone mentioned in an EM post a wee while back^^ 'Black and Blue' & 'Some Girls' were excellent I think,the last signs of creative & vital life before the world was hit with 'Emotional BlackMail'^

GHS is a wonderful record,it's in turns hazy,dark,the last 'classic period'-sounding stones album,always to be underrated is it's destiny,but,underneath the derision from many,'Angie's' hype & 'Dancing with Mr.Caricature' -- the rest of the album bristles with life,a decadent energy,and even devilishly good David Bailey cover art!

13th September 2006 07:25 PM
lotsajizz ER blows GHS away
13th September 2006 07:48 PM
pdog
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
ER blows GHS away

SS would just say, " ER goes down on GHS in a closet, and both come out holding hands and asking for a marriage certificate."
At least that's what i think he'd say...LOL!
13th September 2006 09:26 PM
Soldatti I really like GHS, a very underrated record.
13th September 2006 10:18 PM
jpenn11
quote:
IrelandCalling4 wrote:
'Goats Head Soup' --

'Silver Train',with Bill's insistent bass,Mick's wailing harp and Keef's boackground vocals,a real rock'n'roll groover,great stuff.

From timeisonourside.com --

Probable line-up:
Drums: Charlie Watts
Bass: Keith Richards or Mick Taylor
Rhythm electric guitars: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Slide electric guitar: Mick Taylor
Lead vocal: Mick Jagger
Backing vocals: Mick Jagger, Keith Richards & Mick Taylor
Piano: Ian Stewart
Harmonica: Mick Jagger
Handclaps: ---

I actually think it is Taylor, but I'm no expert and, if it's insistent, it's probably Richards.
13th September 2006 10:28 PM
JOHNNYSTONED ABSOLUTELY ,POSITIVELY AN UNDERRATED STONES ALBUM- THE MYTH -THE VIBE- THE FEEL WAS STILL IN FULL EFFECT AT THIS POINT.KEEF WITH HIS DEATH HEAD DRAGGING THE BAND ONWARD AND UP. CLASSIC STONES.
13th September 2006 10:41 PM
lotsajizz "Love is a mystery I can't demystify" ?!?!?!?

please....

gimme shelter

13th September 2006 10:57 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
ER blows GHS away

Different eras...but true...ER has a vibe...a soul...GHS strikes me as the Bridges to Babylon of the 70s...just a whole lot of going through the motions...still, some nice tunes on that record
13th September 2006 11:36 PM
Zack Silver Train is another lyrical disaster. Rhyming "took my money" and "called me honey." Yikes.

No one has mentioned the crap production of GHS. It's like, in the muck.
14th September 2006 12:00 AM
Lethargy
quote:
Zack wrote:
Silver Train is another lyrical disaster. Rhyming "took my money" and "called me honey." Yikes.

No one has mentioned the crap production of GHS. It's like, in the muck.

The production of GHS is indeed "in the muck". Kind of like their previous album.
14th September 2006 01:39 AM
MikeyC613 Let it Loose kicks Winter in the dick.

Angie can't hold a candle to Sweet Virginia or Shine A Light.

Goat's Head Soup seems to be a serious album that falls short, to me, anyway.

It's Only Rock and Roll, Black and Blue, Some Girls, and Emotional Rescue all seem to be "fun" albums that achieve a higher level of greatness just because they didn't seem to be aiming for it.

That being said, 100 Years Ago and Starfucker are songs no other band can produce. Gold.

"Come on, little girl!!!!"
14th September 2006 06:46 AM
Zack
quote:
Lethargy wrote:

The production of GHS is indeed "in the muck". Kind of like their previous album.

The muck was just one one of many factors that came together to make Exile brilliant.

GHS, while a decent album, completely lacks that alchemy. I think 100 Years, Heartbreaker, Winter, and Starfucker are fantastic tracks, but the rest so-so. Mr D is a travesty.
14th September 2006 07:13 AM
F505 Goat's Head Soup belongs to the top 10 Stones albums. Though it does not hold up to the four studio masterpieces that preceded it it is still full of strong songwriting, great playing, and plenty of classic Stonesy swagger.
Amen!
14th September 2006 12:05 PM
mojoman
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
GHS is indeed a great record....but no need to slag IORR.

i dig GHS its got mellow and moody and lots of darkness,whereas IORR has a much brighter production and vibe. IORR was back to the more basic rock and roll approach. two really completely different albums. didn't keef say that GHS was dominated by smarty session players.
14th September 2006 01:31 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
mojoman wrote:

i dig GHS its got mellow and moody and lots of darkness,whereas IORR has a much brighter production and vibe. IORR was back to the more basic rock and roll approach. two really completely different albums. didn't keef say that GHS was dominated by smarty session players.

I think Keith referred to Goats Head Soup as a "junkie album". I think he was pretty out of it during those sessions.

You say that Its Only Rock 'n' Roll goes back to a more "basic" approach, but it really wasn’t like anything they'd done before. No, for the first time, they were following the herd instead of leading it.
14th September 2006 01:35 PM
glencar ER is so MUCH MUCH MUCH better'n GHS.
14th September 2006 01:45 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
glencar wrote:
ER is so MUCH MUCH MUCH better'n GHS.

Go away. You really are acting like a resident cretin. This is a thread dedicated to the glory of what is known as Goats Head Soup. If you can't wallow in its wondrous splendour, than I suggest you start a thread more tailored to your tastes.
14th September 2006 02:00 PM
glencar I like GHS. But I don't see much glory in it. Please reconsider your dismissal of my trenchant posts...
14th September 2006 02:05 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
glencar wrote:
I like GHS. But I don't see much glory in it. Please reconsider your dismissal of my trenchant posts...

I have reconsidered. All is forgiven and forgotten. We are, after all, entitled to an opinion. Music is a matter of personal preference and I do like All About You
14th September 2006 02:39 PM
F505
quote:
glencar wrote:
ER is so MUCH MUCH MUCH better'n GHS.

please delete this nonsense!
14th September 2006 02:45 PM
glencar
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

I have reconsidered. All is forgiven and forgotten. We are, after all, entitled to an opinion. Music is a matter of personal preference and I do like All About You

Thank you! We're all Stones fans after all. GHS is quite good & thankfully, it's not at the VL level...
14th September 2006 03:09 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr. When I first got into the Stones, GHS was one of my favorites. Now whenever I try to listen to it, it just puts me to sleep; I find it slow and boring.

IORR, on the other hand, I used to not care for. Now I love it; "If You Can't Rock Me," "Ain't Too Proud to Beg," and the title track make a great 1-2-3 opening punch.
14th September 2006 03:11 PM
glencar IORR might have better ballads. I'll have to cogitate ...
14th September 2006 03:16 PM
F505 Goats Head Soup and IORR are practically on the same (high) level.
14th September 2006 03:34 PM
SteveMiller
quote:
F505 wrote:
Goats Head Soup and IORR are practically on the same (high) level.

Your fuckin' kidding right?
14th September 2006 03:47 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
F505 wrote:
Goats Head Soup and IORR are practically on the same (high) level.

Well, I don't personally agree with that!

I think my original point about how Goats Head Soup was the last of the golden era Stones LP's has somewhat drifted away. There’s nothing particularly wrong with what was to follow, I just feel that the Stones lost they're creativity a bit. Things picked up at times, but in terms of quality, I think they’ve been a bit of a yo-yo band ever since.

How about I put it this way? The CONSISTENCY ended with Goats Head Soup.
14th September 2006 04:00 PM
F505
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Well, I don't personally agree with that!

I think my original point about how Goats Head Soup was the last of the golden era Stones LP's has somewhat drifted away. There’s nothing particularly wrong with what was to follow, I just feel that the Stones lost they're creativity a bit. Things picked up at times, but in terms of quality, I think they’ve been a bit of a yo-yo band ever since.

How about I put it this way? The CONSISTENCY ended with Goats Head Soup.

Well, I think the consistency ended with It's Only Rock 'n Roll. But I don't think Goats Head Soup and IORR belong to the golden era. They belong to the silver era.
15th September 2006 10:00 AM
StickyFishFingers Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile...Far out how do you improve on those 4 classic albums? - it might not be in the same league as those other 4 but it's still bloody good.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)