ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Bent Rej with special thanks to Alexstones from Chile!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Goats Head Soup And The Downfall Of The Rolling Stones Return to archive Page: 1 2
13th September 2006 09:19 AM
Honky Tonk Man I dug the album out and gave it a spin the other night. It must’ve been for the first time in quite a while as I’d completely forgotten what a gem it is. Stewed & Keefed is a big fan too and we both believe it represents the end of the Stones golden era, the classic Stones, if you like. A couple of songs even seem to hark back to the Brian days. Can You Hear The Music has a very 60’s vibe to it.

The next LP, Its Only Rock ‘n’ Roll is such a downslide in comparison. It’s still the Mick Taylor period of course, but that record represents what the Stones would become musically. There is absolutely nothing special about it whatsoever and that’s the point I’m trying to make about Goats Head Soup. It’s a classic and it shines through in the music. After this record the Stones become almost like just another rock band churning out banal riffs and never did Jagger come across like such a parody of himself. Black And Blue continued the slide and whilst Some Girls is excellent, I think the future was set in stone.

Goats Head Soup is really the final work of the classic Stones and is a true testimony to what a diverse and wonderful band they were. It’s so unfortunate that it doesn’t get the recognition it truly deserves.
13th September 2006 09:25 AM
Scottfree Time waits for no one.....
13th September 2006 10:10 AM
Ten Thousand Motels GHS is indeed a great record....but no need to slag IORR.
13th September 2006 10:21 AM
jb IORR is a fantastic record.....and if that was what they were to become,it sure beats almost anything other album they put out post Taylor sans Some Girls. They have made no album of any significance since arguably, Some Girls or Tatto You, which contained older songs from the Taylor period. As much as I love 'em, the lack of one good album or hit single since 81, speaks volumes...it is hard to beleive they were creatviely spent over 25 yrs ago!!!
13th September 2006 10:24 AM
Ten Thousand Motels >IORR is a fantastic record<

I always thought so.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
13th September 2006 10:43 AM
Honky Tonk Man IORR isn’t a TERRIBLE record; I do like some of it! My point was more about how it signalled the change that was too come. The Stones no longer had, in my opinion anyway, that individuality that set them aside from the rest. Most of that LP could have been by anyone.

Goats Head Soup on the other hand is brimming with ideas and creativity. My point there was that this LP was the last of that kind for the Stones.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that Goats Head Soup is the last Jimmy Miller produced LP. I don't think things have been the same since.
13th September 2006 10:46 AM
Saint Sway Goats is the most underated album in the Stones mighty cannon.

possibly the most underated album by any band.

The musicianship and playing on that album is stellar. Only the playing on LIB is finer IMO

IORR is also great. But spotty at times. Goats sizzles from start to finish.
13th September 2006 10:59 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Goats sizzles from start to finish.

Perfect description! The album is chocked full of ideas. I'd completely forgotten how majestic Winter is. It's up there with other monumental moments like Sway and Moonlight Mile.

I think it's kind of ironic that the record closes with Starfucker. As good as it is, that song signals what was later to follow.

Goats Head Soup is a record that could only of come out in the late 60's and early 70's. It has that wonderful era written all over it and all the classic hallmarks that went with it.
13th September 2006 11:12 AM
Some Guy I like it, yes I do.
13th September 2006 12:10 PM
F505 Goat's Head Soup and IORR both excellent albums. They mark what I call the silver periode of the Stones after their golden one (BB,LIB, SF and EOMS). Black and Blue and Some Girls close behind GHS and IORR.

From than on they fall into a decline...
13th September 2006 12:17 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
F505 wrote:
Goat's Head Soup and IORR both excellent albums. They mark what I call the silver periode of the Stones after their golden one (BB,LIB, SF and EOMS). Black and Blue and Some Girls close behind GHS and IORR.

From than on they fall into a decline...

Fair points, but I still think Its Only Rock 'n' Roll is the start. It's not all bad. I like some of it for sure, but the golden era ends with that record. Also, although Taylor is on it, it feels like a Ronnie record and I’m not talking about him being the inspiration for the title track. It's a bland record in my opinion. The Stones were less colourful and damn, it's just not interesting!
13th September 2006 12:33 PM
sirfito Goat's Head Soup is a truly gem!
13th September 2006 12:33 PM
sirfito Goat's Head Soup is a truly gem!
13th September 2006 12:37 PM
Honky Tonk Man And it's so good that you had to post it twice!
13th September 2006 12:48 PM
Ten Thousand Motels >It's a bland record in my opinion. The Stones were less colourful and damn, it's just not interesting!<

You'll eat those words someday. I just hope for your sake, sooner rather than later.

13th September 2006 12:50 PM
The Wick Every album until Dirty Work, although not all classics, had a distinct sound worth a good listen. Although I like some of the songs, just purely as songs on Dirty Work, that really was the end. Mick started getting into "new" sounds, but not in an inventive way like Some Girls or Emotional Rescue or even Undercover, just in a doing it for the sake of doing it way. Ever since, there have been some great songs, but the sound is too smooth and has no character. Until they sit down, live around the corner from each other, and start giving a toss, we will get the same poncey sound.
[Edited by The Wick]
13th September 2006 12:55 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
The Wick wrote:
Until they sit down, live around the corner from each other, and start giving a toss, we will get the same poncey sound.

true.

But they just don't care anymore.
13th September 2006 12:59 PM
F505
quote:
The Wick wrote:
Every album until Dirty Work, although not all classics, had a distinct sound worth a good listen. Although I like some of the songs, just purely as songs on Dirty Work, that really was the end. Mick started getting into "new" sounds, but not in an inventive way like Some Girls or Emotional Rescue or even Undercover, just in a doing it for the sake of doing it way. Ever since, there have been some great songs, but the sound is too smooth and has no character. Until they sit down, live around the corner from each other, and start giving a toss, we will get the same poncey sound.
[Edited by The Wick]

It's not just the sound. The songs are mostly mediocre.
13th September 2006 01:01 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Jesus Christ. A rock n roll band lasting over 5 years is a major accomplishment....lasting over 40, almost 50, makes Houdini's tricks look amateur. Cut the boys some slack. It's a great run and it ain't over yet.....unfuckingreal...
13th September 2006 01:04 PM
F505
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
It's a great run and it ain't over yet.....unfuckingreal...

Are they still running or are they stumbling?
13th September 2006 01:13 PM
jb
quote:
F505 wrote:

Are they still running or are they stumbling?

All songs since 84 forward are very medioce, and in some cases(see Losing my Touch, Sol, etc) are fucking embarrassing.
13th September 2006 02:04 PM
Honky Tonk Man I wasn’t slagging off Its Only Rock 'n' Roll as such; it's just unfortunate that it happens to be the record that follows Goats Head Soup. My simple point was that I believe that 1973 release to be the last classic Stones album. Things haven’t been the same since.

Either you agree or disagree. The Stones entered a different phase in '74. One that I personally, am far less interested in.
13th September 2006 02:46 PM
Egbert
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
I wasn’t slagging off Its Only Rock 'n' Roll as such; it's just unfortunate that it happens to be the record that follows Goats Head Soup. My simple point was that I believe that 1973 release to be the last classic Stones album. Things haven’t been the same since.

Either you agree or disagree. The Stones entered a different phase in '74. One that I personally, am far less interested in.

You're right on the money about IORR being their first subpar album. I do like most of the songs, but as a whole it leaves me underwhelmed, much like VL.
13th September 2006 02:49 PM
glencar Good Lord, even ER is better than GHS. I'm sorry but that's the truth, Ruth!
13th September 2006 03:04 PM
lotsajizz yeah, gotta agree with Blue here, GHS is the start of the slide, a huge dropoff in quality and with such lyric disasters as 'Dancing With Mr. D' and 'Can You Hear The Music' is one of their worst....still makes it an A- compared to most other bands, but it is one of the worst albums in the Stones' catalog

[Edited by lotsajizz]
13th September 2006 03:11 PM
pdog GHS was Jaggers attempt to recreate Exile... I like it alot, but I also see why so many don't. They tried to recreate the rawness of Exile, and proved you can't do that. IORR is a good record, but along with GHS it is in the shadow of the big Four! Some Girls was the return to glory, uncontrived and just rock and roll by the greatest rock and roll band.
13th September 2006 03:14 PM
jb GHS better than any post Taylor album including Some Girls...this is a fantastic album that flows brilliantly.
13th September 2006 03:21 PM
F505
quote:
jb wrote:
GHS better than any post Taylor album including Some Girls...this is a fantastic album that flows brilliantly.

True.
13th September 2006 03:23 PM
jb
quote:
F505 wrote:

True.

Thank you.. I am currently buying Luciano Barbera italian business shirts at b/t 200-400 a piece. The fabric count ois well over 300 and the shirts fit like a glove.
13th September 2006 03:27 PM
Some Guy I enjoy 400 thread count sheets.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)