ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Bent Rej with special thanks to Alexstones from Chile!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Remembering 9/11 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
14th September 2006 04:18 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
He was there for such a short time yet got 3 Purple Hearts & a Silver Star? Highly, higly questionable. Those guys don't hate him for partisan reasons. There's real anger at him & his huffing & puffing won't disperse that.
[Edited by glencar]

C'mon!!! Be fair....there were as many that loved him as hated him....bottom line, he served and should be respected...
14th September 2006 04:18 PM
glencar Egbert is a very good poster in the actual Stones threads. He should perhaps read a bit before trying to post on these politics threads. They aren't for the unenlightened.
14th September 2006 04:19 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Not sure about your position on estimated troop levels needed...I think you're wrong in that regard...but, this has occurred to me since day one...and it should have occurred to Churchill and gang when they parceled the country in the first place...this, however, does not seem remotely possible...militarily, it could be done quite easy...much easier than trying to police the peace amongst a bunch of emotionally immature retards...however, "world opinion", particularly the europeans, would never be on board with this...they would side with the sentiments of Turkey who have no intention of seeing a free and independent Kurdistan

[Edited by Fiji Joe]

I don't have the military experience you do. It just seems to me that the troops that we do have there are stuck in a catch 22 trying to maintain some semblance of order let alone creating 3 nation states. The Kurds have had such a shitty run of things I say fuck the Turkish government let Kurdistan exist.
14th September 2006 04:19 PM
glencar Joshy, I'm always fair! And most of his "band of brothers" don't support him. I think the ratio is 4 to 1. That speaks VOLUMES!
14th September 2006 04:21 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Joshy, I'm always fair! And most of his "band of brothers" don't support him. I think the ratio is 4 to 1. That speaks VOLUMES!

I think they are partisan-the guy who funded the Swift Boat attacks-Perry, is a texan who is a huge Busg supporter and friend of Rove-nuff said.
14th September 2006 04:22 PM
glencar Yes, John O'Neil. He has been after Kerry since 1971 or so. He spotted "JFK" as a phony from Day 1.
14th September 2006 04:28 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Yes, John O'Neil. He has been after Kerry since 1971 or so. He spotted "JFK" as a phony from Day 1.

O'neil was just the spokesperson-Perry funded the ads. I respect men like Kerry who served...I do not hold it against Bush that he did not go to vietnam. However, I resent people attacking guys like Max Cleland, a amputee, whose opponent, Saxby Chambliss, said he was soft on terror...Politics is a very ugly sport.
14th September 2006 04:30 PM
monkey_man
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
You know as well as I do that there is no lack of liberals out there that actually would use another attack so they could point more fingers at this Administration.

I agree with you on this point. I also believe that there are far right ideologues that would use another attack to further their political agenda.
It also scares the hell out of me when a US general talks in terms of our "grand experiment in democracy" being scrapped if there were a successful WMD attack in this country.
14th September 2006 04:39 PM
nankerphelge Well if these nut jobs do manage a serious nuke or bio attack on this country -- especially one that knocks out a significant portion of the federal government (DC) -- it is hard to imagine how we wouldn't declare martial law until we could recover.

At that point, I think we'd have a bit more to worry about than whether someone's civil rights were being trampled.

14th September 2006 04:42 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
monkey_man wrote:

I don't have the military experience you do. It just seems to me that the troops that we do have there are stuck in a catch 22 trying to maintain some semblance of order let alone creating 3 nation states. The Kurds have had such a shitty run of things I say fuck the Turkish government let Kurdistan exist.

You're right I think about the catch 22...but if they were going to attempt the other, I don't think they would be too concerned about keeping the peace...start by protecting the Kurds and let the other two sort their own nonsense out...I see where the Kurds are building nice stuff...really taking advantage of their freedom...just a matter of time before the crazies fuck it up for them
14th September 2006 04:42 PM
Chuck "Haven't been hit in 5 years...successfully fighting terror..."

That's incorrect---about a month after 9/11, someone sent weaponized anthrax to two Democratic senators and several news outlets. Five Americans were killed and 17 more suffered serious illnesses.

Where did this story go? The administration stopped talking about it, the media stopped reporting on it, and the public stopped asking about it.

Why is that?
14th September 2006 04:45 PM
nankerphelge I think the reason it gets pushed off is that everyone believes it was home-grown.

I agree with you though -- that was sure a scary time!
14th September 2006 04:45 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Chuck wrote:
"Haven't been hit in 5 years...successfully fighting terror..."

That's incorrect---about a month after 9/11, someone sent weaponized anthrax to two Democratic senators and several news outlets. Five Americans were killed and 17 more suffered serious illnesses.

Where did this story go? The administration stopped talking about it, the media stopped reporting on it, and the public stopped asking about it.

Why is that?

There have also been school shootings, postmen going nuts, and gang fights in the streets of Compton...it's not talked about in terms of international terrorism because there is no credible evidence to suggest that that's what it was...there was more evidence pointing to disgruntled Ivy League professors
14th September 2006 05:10 PM
Egbert
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Not sure why you would ask that...Perhaps you haven't been paying attention...I always speak to Al Franken talking point posting chuckle heads like that...Some of us are spending a little energy in this discourse...so it pisses me off a bit when you add nothing to the equation other than an over-used, short-sighted platitude...Your simplistic statement had no place in the midst of some of the weighty ideas that were being thrown about by some of the esteemed posters here...

Fine - I'll get out of the way, but don't assume that my post was intended to agitate politically - it wasn't. I'm not very interested in partisan politics but do enjoy reading through the political threads as a way to educate myself on the W.O.T. as we seem to have an enlightened crowd (representing both sides) here.

I'm just pissed off that we haven't caught/killed this guy yet. He seems to me to be a bigger priority than Saddam.
14th September 2006 05:14 PM
Chuck "there was more evidence pointing to disgruntled Ivy League professors"

Link?

=============

Riddle of the Spores
May 21, 2002

Why Has the FBI Investigation into the Anthrax Attacks Stalled? The Evidence Points One Way

by George Monbiot

(clip)

The anthrax the terrorist sent belongs to the "Ames" strain of the bacterium, which was extracted from an infected cow in Texas in 1981. In December, the Washington Post reported that genetic tests showed that the variety used by the terrorist was a sub-strain cultivated by scientists at the US army's medical research institute for infectious diseases (USAMRIID) at Fort Detrick, Maryland. That finding was publicly confirmed two weeks ago, when the test results were published in the journal Science. New Scientist magazine notes that the anthrax the terrorist used appears to have emerged from Fort Detrick only recently, as the researchers found that samples which have been separated from each other for three years acquire "substantial genetic differences".

The Ames strain was distributed by USAMRIID to around 20 other laboratories in the US. Of these, according to research conducted by Barbara Hatch Rosenberg, who runs the Federation of American Scientists' biological weapons monitoring program, only four possess the equipment and expertise required for the weaponization of the anthrax sent to Senator Daschle. Three of them are US military laboratories, the fourth is a government contractor. While security in all these places has been lax, the terrorist could not have stolen all the anthrax (around 10 grams) which found its way into the postal system. He must have used the equipment to manufacture it.

Barbara Hatch Rosenberg has produced a profile of the likely perpetrator. He is an American working within the US biodefense industry, with a doctoral degree in the relevant branch of microbiology. He is skilled and experienced at handling the weapon without contaminating his surroundings. He has full security clearance and access to classified information. He is among the tiny number of Americans who had received anthrax vaccinations before September 2001. Only a handful of people fit this description. Rosenberg has told the internet magazine Salon.com that three senior scientists have identified the same man--a former USAMRIID scientist--as the likely suspect. She, and they, have told the FBI, but it seems that all the bureau has done in response is to denounce her.

(clip)

Full: http://www.counterpunch.org/monbiot0521.html

14th September 2006 05:24 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Egbert wrote:

Fine - I'll get out of the way, but don't assume that my post was intended to agitate politically - it wasn't. I'm not very interested in partisan politics but do enjoy reading through the political threads as a way to educate myself on the W.O.T. as we seem to have an enlightened crowd (representing both sides) here.

I'm just pissed off that we haven't caught/killed this guy yet. He seems to me to be a bigger priority than Saddam.

Oh...man I'm just yanking ya a bit...but why does OBL bother you?...it's not as if he were dead AQ would not exist...it's not a matter of spending resources to find him, or kill him...there's a whole other issues with Pakistan's sovereignty and the stability of their government
14th September 2006 05:26 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Chuck wrote:
"there was more evidence pointing to disgruntled Ivy League professors"

Link?

Oh you were just dying to drop a cut and paste...relax Francis, the reference to professors was tongue in cheek...but at least, give your defensiveness, we now know what you do for a living
14th September 2006 05:53 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Oh...man I'm just yanking ya a bit...but why does OBL bother you?...it's not as if he were dead AQ would not exist...it's not a matter of spending resources to find him, or kill him...

I don't get it. Killing bin Laden would or would not prevent terrorist attacks?
14th September 2006 06:20 PM
Egbert
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Oh...man I'm just yanking ya a bit...but why does OBL bother you?...it's not as if he were dead AQ would not exist...it's not a matter of spending resources to find him, or kill him...there's a whole other issues with Pakistan's sovereignty and the stability of their government

He bothers me because he was behind 9/11 and it just looks bad that we were not able to get to him. Yeah, AQ would be fine without him but he remains a figurehead and his capture would give this country a morale boost. We had our chance and gave it a shot. At this point it may not be worth it.

[Edited by Egbert]
14th September 2006 06:30 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Egbert wrote:

He bothers me because he was behind 9/11 and it just looks bad that we were not able to get to him. Yeah, AQ would be fine without him but he remains a figurehead and his capture would give this country a morale boost. We had our chance and gave it a shot. At this point it may not be worth it.

[Edited by Egbert]

Maybe we could pardon him like we did Quadaffi, then no one would have to worry anymore at all?
14th September 2006 06:32 PM
Egbert
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Maybe we could pardon him like we did Quadaffi, then no one would have to worry anymore at all?

Funny.
14th September 2006 06:47 PM
Chuck "Oh you were just dying to drop a cut and paste...relax Francis, the reference to professors was tongue in cheek...but at least, give your defensiveness, we now know what you do for a living"

Your bait of falsehood takes this carp of truth.

14th September 2006 07:07 PM
telecaster Air America is filling for bankrupcty

Hopefully they will be off the air im days(sorry you seven people that listen)

Seems nobody wants to hear the US badmouthed 24/7/365

Losers

Al Jazerra is accepting resumes
14th September 2006 07:51 PM
glencar Al Franken is mad that he's not getting paid.
14th September 2006 07:57 PM
monkey_man
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Air America is filling for bankrupcty

Hopefully they will be off the air im days(sorry you seven people that listen)

Seems nobody wants to hear the US badmouthed 24/7/365

Losers

Yeah I bet they even bet Penn State over ND last weekend too. . .what losers!!!!
14th September 2006 08:03 PM
rasputin56 Oh, good, Tele's chimed in. Let the yucks start again!

14th September 2006 09:13 PM
telecaster
quote:
rasputin56 wrote:
Oh, good, Tele's chimed in. Let the yucks start again!

Sorry for your loss regarding Air America

Seems the free market isn't big sponsors (advertisers) of far left wing America
and George Soros is not kicking in anymore

Oh well, maybe Al Jazzera is on satellite somewhere for you guys

14th September 2006 09:19 PM
rasputin56 Ahh, you never disappoint! Great stuff!

14th September 2006 11:30 PM
PeerQueer [quote]telecaster wrote:

Sorry for your loss regarding Air America

Seems the free market isn't big sponsors (advertisers) of far left wing America
and George Soros is not kicking in anymore

Oh well, maybe Al Jazzera is on satellite somewhere for you guys

Classic. It's posts like that that keep my coming back to this rathole.

Soros has spent a TON of money in the last five or so years trying to mold the political landscape into his image. Problem is, the Dems are so fucking disorganized and unlikeable that even those vast sums of cash are hardly stirring the collective pot.

Air America has been a complete disaster.

Limbaugh on the other hand, has never been more popular...(Yearly earnings in excess of $20 million!)

I don't agree with everything he says, but man, gotta admire his schtick.
14th September 2006 11:57 PM
sirmoonie At the end of the day, those vermniverous Islamobags got incredibly lucky. Airline security has always been poor, I often thought how easy it would be for some mental patient to attempt to fuck up a plane, and that has barely changed a bit since 9/11 (thanks George Walker Bush III!). But to actually hijack and commandeer FOUR planes, crashing three of them into high value targets on the same day - so many things had to go exactly right for those mullahfuckers. 999,999,999 in a billion times they try that and it fails - 9/11 was unfortunately a perfect storm for the civilized English speaking world.

Its also now a highly overrated event and being used in a cynical fashion by many. Personal tragedy aside, and I say that will all due respect to actual victims, it never was or became a matter of national security - even if they had hit Congress it wouldn't have been. And even in the short run, it was not much on the economy (of course, our current fiscal policy is to merely print more money whenever we need it, so we'll see later maybe...).

It was a massively spectacular event, no doubt, and most of us saw innocent people dying LIVE on TV, which was fucking sickening - the images are horrifying and have permanent morbid fascination - but comparing this to Pearl Harbor, or even to actions like the ongoing occupation of Iraqland, misses the mark by a lot and is just pure emotional response. The pomp-pissing in this thread pretty much proves that - Air America, ffs? QTF? Jimmy Carter? Doesn't matter if we get bin Laden? I think someone even mentioned Cindy "Korphlough" Sheehan and Abe Marfan Lincoln to "prove" their "points" here in the 9/11 Remembrance thread started just this very week.......yeah week, as in weak, but oh yeah, yeah, yeah, we'll never forget, god bless Americanismness, we're all still grieving souls.....haha!, itz biz as yuze, bitzes.....cheers to all y'ins.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)