ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Bent Rej with special thanks to Alexstones from Chile!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: complete list of Who dates Return to archive Page: 1 2
14th September 2006 10:52 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'm awaiting your comments...

Posted .
14th September 2006 02:22 PM
Stikkyfinger The Who are one helluva band!
14th September 2006 06:13 PM
Honky Tonk Man Just though I'd add that The Who are playing a show in England on the 29th October. The Roundhouse, London.
14th September 2006 11:38 PM
Paranoid_Android In Baltimore...they are part of the Virgin fest...they will be opening up for The RHCP!!! Thievery Corperation is also a featured band...It will NOT be a DJ set...but the full on band!!! Can't wait!!!
14th September 2006 11:38 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
Stikkyfinger wrote:
The Who are one helluva band!

"were"...now it's a duet cover band...
15th September 2006 03:55 AM
Stikkyfinger
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:

"were"...now it's a duet cover band...

Well, they 'were' a helluva band when I saw them 2 months ago in Leeds...........
15th September 2006 08:00 AM
justinkurian Here's part two of something I posted on Tuesday:

For Townshend, 'Long Live Rock'
Thursday, September 14, 2006

By KEVIN O'HARE
Music writer

Part 2 of a two-part interview.

With a new tour and their first new studio album in 24 years, The Who's Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey are in the midst of an unexpected career renaissance.

They have launched their first world tour in decades in support of "Endless Wire," which arrives in stores Oct. 31.

As he was about to embark on the U.S. leg of the tour, which stops in Boston Saturday, Townshend, the legendary band's chief songwriter, offered some typically provocative responses to questions about the band's past, present and future.

Q: In the biography on your own Web site, it states that you dislike going on the road "immensely." If that's the case, why are you doing it again?

A: The rewards are huge. In Madrid - we had never played in Spain - a crowd of 10,000 young men applauded every tiny guitar line I played. I got better and better with their encouragement until I was playing like Jimi Hendrix - in fact, several local newspaper reviews made than claim, not me. That's some place to go to. I don't want to leave my friends, my home, my neighborhood, my kids and my dogs behind me - but for this kind of moment in the life of someone who is after all just another musician most of the time, the price is worth paying. In truth, touring Europe this summer was pretty easy, and good fun. But a few years ago we did a short tour of Britain, the weather was stormy, my little plane was tossed like a leaf in a vortex, and I came close to exhaustion. So there is always a possibility for misery on the road. Why would anyone set out to pursue that willingly? They are either mad or they have a sense of duty. Most musicians would prefer to be called mad. I have a sense of duty that came from growing up in a family of post-war Royal Air Force musicians.

Q: Is it daunting to write new Who material when fan expectations are so high?

A: No. What can I do about that? Nothing. What is daunting is trying to get the material flowing and to know that it will work for what I call the Who, not what anyone else calls it. I have had to wait a long time to get to a place where I feel I've started to do that. Not everyone will agree, but what matters is that I feel good about it. Pleased. I've been patient, ready to work when the time came, and grateful to be alive to enjoy this moment.

Q: With the passing of Keith Moon and John Entwistle, you have lost one of rock's greatest rhythm sections. What do Pino Palladino and Zak Starkey bring to the table?

A: Another of rock's greatest rhythm sections. They are both brilliant players.

Q: George Harrison was once quoted as saying the Beatles were at their peak as a live act in Hamburg in 1960, long before most of the world knew they even existed. When do you think the Who was at their peak as a live act?

A: Quite late funnily enough, probably around 1975, 1976. Keith was not as fit as he used to be, but we were all comfortable, happy with ourselves, and we had fun. Being on stage with Keith Moon when he broke out laughing at something I did or said was such a joy. That happened a lot in the years prior to his death.

Q: Several years ago you were quite concerned with your hearing loss and played mostly acoustic guitar on tour. Were you able to figure out a way to play live electric at full volume without causing further damage to your hearing?

A: Ah! I don't play at full volume. I sometimes try my old Hi-Watt rigs. They are so loud I can't stand in front of them any more. I stopped playing loud just in time and preserved what was left of my hearing, which - it turns out - is enough to see me through to old age. I was warned in good time, and I may have seemed to be alarmist, but John Entwistle was almost entirely deaf when he died, requiring two hearing aids to hold a conversation.

Q: Your online diaries are among the most intriguing and straightforward of any major artist. What has the ability to be in direct contact with fans online meant to you?

A: Thanks. On my Web site, it is one-way-traffic, but it's good to be able to say how I feel, but also just to tell the truth. But I also enjoy running a blog, which allows fans to talk back. My blog is dormant at the moment but I will certainly use it again in future.

Q: Anything I have not asked that you'd like to say?

A: This is the Who's first proper world tour. A lot of the profit we make in the U.S.A. is going toward funding the continuation of our journey to new territories like Mexico, South America, Russia and possibly even China. This new, large-scale adventure is not intended to suggest a last gasp. I simply wanted to make sure as many people as possible heard about our new music, and got to enjoy our old music, while Roger and I are still fit and strong. While we can, we will always perform together now in some shape or form. This is not an end, it really is a beginning for us. We two old buggers have one of the great banners of rock history to wave, and we are determined to wave it, partly in memory of our two buddies who flew the coop. Roger and I have each other, and that means more today than it did when we first crossed angry paths as kids in Acton in 1960, 46 years ago.

©2006 The Republican
© 2006 MassLive.com All Rights Reserved.
15th September 2006 08:50 AM
Gazza Great stuff. Thanks, Justin
15th September 2006 10:24 AM
Joey
quote:
justinkurian wrote:
Here's part two of something I posted on Tuesday:

For Townshend, 'Long Live Rock'
Thursday, September 14, 2006

By KEVIN O'HARE
Music writer

Part 2 of a two-part interview.

With a new tour and their first new studio album in 24 years, The Who's Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey are in the midst of an unexpected career renaissance.

They have launched their first world tour in decades in support of "Endless Wire," which arrives in stores Oct. 31.

As he was about to embark on the U.S. leg of the tour, which stops in Boston Saturday, Townshend, the legendary band's chief songwriter, offered some typically provocative responses to questions about the band's past, present and future.

Q: In the biography on your own Web site, it states that you dislike going on the road "immensely." If that's the case, why are you doing it again?

A: The rewards are huge. In Madrid - we had never played in Spain - a crowd of 10,000 young men applauded every tiny guitar line I played. I got better and better with their encouragement until I was playing like Jimi Hendrix - in fact, several local newspaper reviews made than claim, not me. That's some place to go to. I don't want to leave my friends, my home, my neighborhood, my kids and my dogs behind me - but for this kind of moment in the life of someone who is after all just another musician most of the time, the price is worth paying. In truth, touring Europe this summer was pretty easy, and good fun. But a few years ago we did a short tour of Britain, the weather was stormy, my little plane was tossed like a leaf in a vortex, and I came close to exhaustion. So there is always a possibility for misery on the road. Why would anyone set out to pursue that willingly? They are either mad or they have a sense of duty. Most musicians would prefer to be called mad. I have a sense of duty that came from growing up in a family of post-war Royal Air Force musicians.

Q: Is it daunting to write new Who material when fan expectations are so high?

A: No. What can I do about that? Nothing. What is daunting is trying to get the material flowing and to know that it will work for what I call the Who, not what anyone else calls it. I have had to wait a long time to get to a place where I feel I've started to do that. Not everyone will agree, but what matters is that I feel good about it. Pleased. I've been patient, ready to work when the time came, and grateful to be alive to enjoy this moment.

Q: With the passing of Keith Moon and John Entwistle, you have lost one of rock's greatest rhythm sections. What do Pino Palladino and Zak Starkey bring to the table?

A: Another of rock's greatest rhythm sections. They are both brilliant players.

Q: George Harrison was once quoted as saying the Beatles were at their peak as a live act in Hamburg in 1960, long before most of the world knew they even existed. When do you think the Who was at their peak as a live act?

A: Quite late funnily enough, probably around 1975, 1976. Keith was not as fit as he used to be, but we were all comfortable, happy with ourselves, and we had fun. Being on stage with Keith Moon when he broke out laughing at something I did or said was such a joy. That happened a lot in the years prior to his death.

Q: Several years ago you were quite concerned with your hearing loss and played mostly acoustic guitar on tour. Were you able to figure out a way to play live electric at full volume without causing further damage to your hearing?

A: Ah! I don't play at full volume. I sometimes try my old Hi-Watt rigs. They are so loud I can't stand in front of them any more. I stopped playing loud just in time and preserved what was left of my hearing, which - it turns out - is enough to see me through to old age. I was warned in good time, and I may have seemed to be alarmist, but John Entwistle was almost entirely deaf when he died, requiring two hearing aids to hold a conversation.

Q: Your online diaries are among the most intriguing and straightforward of any major artist. What has the ability to be in direct contact with fans online meant to you?

A: Thanks. On my Web site, it is one-way-traffic, but it's good to be able to say how I feel, but also just to tell the truth. But I also enjoy running a blog, which allows fans to talk back. My blog is dormant at the moment but I will certainly use it again in future.

Q: Anything I have not asked that you'd like to say?

A: This is the Who's first proper world tour. A lot of the profit we make in the U.S.A. is going toward funding the continuation of our journey to new territories like Mexico, South America, Russia and possibly even China. This new, large-scale adventure is not intended to suggest a last gasp. I simply wanted to make sure as many people as possible heard about our new music, and got to enjoy our old music, while Roger and I are still fit and strong. While we can, we will always perform together now in some shape or form. This is not an end, it really is a beginning for us. We two old buggers have one of the great banners of rock history to wave, and we are determined to wave it, partly in memory of our two buddies who flew the coop. Roger and I have each other, and that means more today than it did when we first crossed angry paths as kids in Acton in 1960, 46 years ago.

©2006 The Republican
© 2006 MassLive.com All Rights Reserved.

Thank You Very Much !!!!!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)