ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Perverted Charlie hypnotized by Luxury1
Charlie staring at Luxury1
© 2005 Throbby
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A Bigger Bang - Entertainment Today Online Article Return to archive
September 14th, 2005 03:06 PM
katk A Bigger Bang

The Rolling Stones

The Rolling Stones

Virgin Records

All the positive hype about the new Rolling Stones album proves to be true.

Most of A Bigger Bang was recorded at Mick Jagger’s mansion in the South of France, just like The Stones 1972 classic Exile on Main Street was recorded at Keith Richard’s spacious home on Nellcote, France – and that album was considered to be one of the greatest rock’n’roll albums of all time. But is Bang, as Richards suggests another Exile? It’s certainly similar in length – 16 tracks, that one had 18. But the vibe is different. Just as Exile was ideal for The Stones in 1972, Bang is ideal for 2005. It’s The Rolling Stones coming of age – but also going back to their roots. Never is that more apparent than on Track Number 6, “Back Of My Hand.” A straight-ahead Delta-Blues ditty – a la “Little Red Rooster” or “I’m a King Bee.”

With a bluesy-sound similar to the Beggar’s Banquet–era Stones. Jagger (Sir Mick) seems to have great fun on this vocal-stripped down, simple, blues. It must really create goosebumps live! It’s the tune that most proves that The Stones of 2005 - wanted to tap into their original love of blues music – and lovingly pay tribute to their heroes. Muddy Waters, Jimmy Reed, Robert Johnson.

I myself have never felt that The Rolling Stones were just repeating themselves in the recording studio. They are timeless. I believe Keith Richards himself said not too long ago that there was no young female music journalists today who are “hip to The Stones” or ask provocative questions. If he did, indeed say that, then I hope to be the one to change that. The mere fact that The Rolling Stones integrate different musical styles into the heart of classic rock – make them the greatest rock’n’roll band on the planet – without peer. A Bigger Bang proves their desire and drive to continue to set the standard and set an example for their contemporaries.

Probably the most Stonesy tune is track 10 “Oh No, Not Again” – which is do doubt quite challenging in concert, but on record it’s a classic Stones anthem – right off of 1978’s ‘Some Girls” a la “Respectable,” and the ole Jagger Swagger is there in spades! Wow! Audiences will dig it!!!

The country-style smooth groove of Track 8, “Biggest Mistake” harkens back to 1980’s era “Steel Wheels” and “Almost Hear You Sigh.” I’m partial to the ballads, but I do love the rockers, and this disc has plenty. From “Dangerous Beauty” a real audience pleaser – classic “Glimmer Twins, to the opening track 1 “Rough Justice” these will definitely get the crowd upon its feet and dancin’. With signature Stones – circa 1970’s lyrics such as “One time you were my baby chicken, now you’ve grown into a fox, one time I was your little rooster, am I just one of your cocks,” complete with a classic Keef-riff you’ve got a rock hit! The one genuine love ballad, track 5 “Streets of Love” is a big popish showstopper a success internationally, #1 in Italy! It’s indeed reminiscent of the melodic Jagger solo song “Brand New Set of Rules” from 2001’s “Goddess In The Doorway” an underrated Mick solo album. Sweet.

The song “Sweet NeoCon” is track 13 – and is causing controversy because it’s considered anti-Bush. The Stones haven’t tackled too many political songs – however, this one clearly raises some eyebrows. Musically, it too borrows from “Steel Wheels” tune “Terrifying” and the little track from 1983’s “Undercover of The Night.” It’s already being compared to Bob Dylan’s “Masters of War.” Keith Richards sings two songs on “ABB”, in his unmistakable signature voice. One is a bar anthem called ‘This place is Empty,” – a la Frank Sinatra. It’s right up there with two of my favorite Richards’ ballads – “All About You” from “Emotional Rescue” (1980) and “Losing MY Touch” from the recent “Forty Licks” (2002). “Infamy” track 16, closes out the record, and features Keith’s smoky vocal, and Jagger’s skilled harmonica. Track 7, “She Saw Me Coming” is sort of voodoo-lounge-ish, but much different than the other songs – more tongue in cheek.

One of my personal favorites is Track 14 – “Look What The Cat Dragged In,” and track 12 is fantastic. It’s called “Laugh, I Nearly Died” and sounds like a companion song to “Heaven” from 1981’s “Tattoo You.” Tracks 2, 3 and 4 are among the greatest on the CD. “Let Me Down Slow” is excellent and will be a concert, staple in the future, as is the marvelous “It Won’t Take Long” – that’s pure Richards, and sounds akin to a song off of Keith’s 1988 solo album “Talk Is Cheap.”

Track 4 “Rain Fall Down” may even be the next single. It’s exotic erotic, a nice groove, very solid. Track 15 “Driving Too Fast” is fun and upbeat – it’s already being used for promo spots. It is similar to 1994’s “Voodoo Lounge” tunes.

I was pleased with the creative results of A Bigger Bang. Jagger/Richards – The Glimmer Twins collaborated for their fourth time with mega-producer Don Was. Quite a bit of those sessions took place in Paris. Was confirmed the collaborative effort of the album – “Mick and Keith are writing songs together in a collaborative fashion, that probably hasn’t been seen since the late ‘60s, he originally commented. Early on with the creation of Bang, the Glimmer Twins had to do all the brainstorming because drummer Charlie Watts spent summer 2004 recovering from throat cancer, and guitarist Ronnie Wood was deeply immersed in his art shows. Later on during the bulk of the recording, it was just Jagger, Richards, Watts and Wood with Was – bare bones. Other musicians lending support included bassist Darryl Jones and keyboardist Chuck Leavell. Other backing musicians included Stonesback up singer, Blondie Chaplin, session percussionist Lenny Castro and longtime Jagger arranger Matt Clifford.

A Bigger Bang refers to The Stones interest with the scientific theory about the origin of the universe. But I believe it also means that The Rolling Stones are back – better than ever, louder, more rocking, leaner, meaner, sweet ‘n’ sour, yin and yang, back to capture the world! More than likely Grammy bound.

It will be sure to put a smile on your face – and bring you instant “satisfaction.”

[Edited by katk]

September 14th, 2005 05:49 PM
sammy davis jr. It's not that good....
September 14th, 2005 05:59 PM
lotsajizz yes it is
September 15th, 2005 12:02 AM
Child of the Moon
quote:
katk wrote:
"Let Me Down Slow" is excellent and will be a concert, staple in the future

Man, if they start doing this one, especiallu by the time I see them, I could die happy.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)