ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Perverted Charlie hypnotized by Luxury1
Charlie staring at Luxury1
© 2005 Throbby
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rocks Off quoted in Italian daily "Corriere della sera" (translation required) Return to archive
September 14th, 2005 09:04 AM
Gazza Thanks to Liddas on IORR, who posted this link

http://www.corriere.it/Primo_Piano/Spettacoli/2005/07_Luglio/28/rolling_stones.shtml

This article appeared on 28th July in the widely circulated Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera

Its a feature on the (at the time) upcoming Stones album and the debate about "Sweet NeoCon". Rumours at the time were that the song wouldnt be on the album and this may be due to Virgin pressurizing the band not to include it. The article deals with fans' reactions to such a rumour.

It seems that the writer has been using Rocks Off as a source of fan quotes because he's quoted myself, Prism and Jumpin'JackFlash

Unfortunately, my Italian isnt so good so if theres anyone who can translate this, I'd be pretty interested to see it!

Rolling Stones: il nostro brano sfida la Rice
Presentato ieri «A Bigger Band», ma la canzone che attacca il segretario di Stato americano viene tenuta per il momento segreta

Un brano contro Condoleezza Rice firmato dai Rolling Stones. Un testo (misterioso) che fino a ieri sera sembrava destinato ad essere escluso dal nuovo album. Infine l’annuncio di un portavoce della casa discografica Virgin: «Gli Stones hanno deciso di non rinunciare alla pubblicazione del brano pur coscienti delle possibili reazioni negative da parte dell’opinione pubblica soprattutto negli Stati Uniti». Una sfida. Ieri mattina. Giornalisti invitati ad ascoltare dodici dei sedici brani del nuovo album «A Bigger Bang» in uscita il 2 settembre. Draconiane misure di sicurezza (niente pc, telefonini, bidelli-sicurezza con le insegne degli Stones a sorvegliare i giornalisti come a un esame di Stato). Ma fra i brani manca «Neocon», una canzone che sui siti dei fan è già considerata un attacco a Bush e fortemente critica contro Condoleezza Rice, segretario di Stato Usa. Perché non c’è? La Virgin dice che la canzone non sarà inserita nell’album. I fan degli Stones insorgono sui siti specializzati accusando la storica band di essersi rammollita e di accettare la censura. Poche ore dopo, il dietrofront: la Virgin annuncia che il brano sarà inserito, ma con un titolo leggermente diverso: «Sweet Neocon».

Mick Jagger circondato dagli altri membri della band (Foto AP)
La notizia di questo brano dunque circolava da tempo su Internet, aveva sollevato una sorta di vespaio fra i fan, molti dei quali non gradivano lo «schieramento» della band. Alla notizia che la canzone sarebbe stata bocciata in un primo momento i fans hanno reagito nei siti Internet. «E’ chiaro, Jagger non vuole precludersi la possibilità di fare sesso con miss Rice». Un altro: «Una band con questa storia alle spalle che si autocensura? Vuol dire proprio che sono cambiati. E poi Dylan ha sempre cantato di politica e nessuno ha avuto niente da ridire». E un vecchio fan che si firma Jumpingjackflash, come un classico degli Stones osserva: «Sappiamo solo che Neocon, anzi "Sweet Neocon", esiste. Ma non sappiamo nient’altro. Che senso ha discuterne. Magari canta parole come «Bush Loves Marx or "God and Allah Holding Hands"». E Prism: «Bush è al suo minimo storico di popolarità. Non credo che saranno in molti a sentirsi oltraggiati dalla canzone "Neocon"», «Non è una questione di "aria fritta politica" - scrive Gazza - una band così non deve né accettare censure, né autocensurarsi soprattutto su una questione del genere».
Gli sviluppi successivi hanno fatto capire che gli Stones hanno dunque deciso di rimandare all'uscita dell'album, il 2 settembre, la divulgazione del brano, probabilmente per non distogliere l'attenzione dallo spirito di un disco che sembra tutto meno che politico. Sempre che non decidano di eseguirlo dal vivo nel tour mondiale che comincia il 21 agosto da Boston. Nel frattempo chi ha voglia di cercare temi politici nei 12 brani anticipati del nuovo album degli Stones (l’ultimo lavoro di studio risale al 1997 ed era «Bridges to Babylon») può puntare su due canzoni. Una è «Oh, no, not you again» dove si teorizza che chi è stato morso una volta deve raddoppiare l’attenzione per non cacciarsi un’altra volta nella medesima situazione. Che potrebbe essere una metafora sulla politica americana (il primo morso fu il Vietnam?). L’altra è «Back of my Hand, ove si narra di un predicatore che grida all’angolo della strada. «E’ un segno che grossi guai sono in vista», recita la canzone che contiene immagini apocalittiche di vite stroncate e villaggi distrutti in una atmosfera musicale molto intensa.
Mario Luzzatto Fegiz
28 luglio 2005

[Edited by Gazza]
September 14th, 2005 09:09 AM
Jumacfly si si je suis une "rocks off" star!!!
congrats Gazza !!
September 14th, 2005 09:18 AM
Gazza I wouldnt congratulate me just yet - I may have been misquoted!!!
September 14th, 2005 09:25 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I wouldnt congratulate me just yet - I may have been misquoted!!!

LOL...to be serious it's great to see RO quotes in da press...this board is a kind on institution
September 14th, 2005 09:38 AM
egon my italian is excellent:

A piece against Condoleezza Rice signed from the Rolling Stones. A text (mysterious) that until last night seemed destined to to be excluded from the new album. Finally the announcement of a spokesperson of the house discografica Virgin: «The Stones decided not to renounce the publication of the simply conscious piece of the possible negative reactions aside of the public opinion above all in the United States». A challenge. Yesterday morning. Journalists invited to listen to twelve of sixteen pieces of the new album «TO Bigger Bang» in 2 September exit. Draconiane measures of safety (nothing pc, mobile phones, janitors-safety with the signs of the Stones to watch the journalists like to an examination of State). But between the pieces it is lacking «Neocon», a song that on the sites of the fan already an attack to Bush is considered and strong critic against Condoleezza Rice, secretary of Been Usa. It why there is not? The Virgin says that the song will not be introduced in the album. The fan of the Stones rise up on skilled the sites accusing the historical band of to be weak and of to accept the censorship. Little now after, the dietrofront: the Virgin announces that the piece will be introduced, but with a slightly different title: «Sweet Neocon».

Mick Jagger surrounded by the other limb of the band (Photograph AP) The news of this piece therefore moved about for some time on Internet, had lifted a sort of hornet's nest between the fan, a lot of which did not appreciate it «alliance» of the band. To the news that the song would have been failed in a first moment the fans reacted in the internet site. «It is clear, Jagger does not want to block itself the possibility to do sex with miss Rice». Another one: «A band with this story to the shoulders that itself autocensura? It means actual that they are changed. And then Dylan always sang of politics and no had nothing to repeat». And an old fan that it is signed Jumpingjackflash, like a classic of the Stones observes: «Sappiamo but Neocon, or rather "Sweet Neocon", exists. But not sappiamo nient' other. That sense has to discuss it. Even if it sings words like «Bush Loves Marx or "God and Allah holding Company Hands" ». And Prism: «Bush is at its historical minimum of popularity. I do not believe that they will be in a lot hear offended themselves from the song "Neocon"», «is not a matter of "air fried political" - writes Magpie - a band so does not have to né to accept censorships, né itself above all on a matter of the type». The successive developments explained that the Stones have therefore decided to send again the gone out some album, 2 September, the popularization of the piece, likely in order not to take away the caution from the spirit of a disk that seems all except for that politician. Always than it do not decide to perform it from the living person in the world tour that it begins 21 August from Boston. In the meanwhile who it has desire to seek you are afraid political in 12 pieces early of the new album of the Stones (the last work of study goes back to 1997 and was «Bridges to Babylon») can aim on two songs. An it is «Oh, no, not you again» where it is theorized that who a time was bitten should double the caution in order not to hunt another time in the same situation. That it would be able to be a metaphor on the American politics (the first one bitten was the Vietnam?) The other it is «Back of my Hand, where it is recounted of a predicatore that shouts to the angle of the road. «It is a mark that big troubles are in visa», performs the song that contains images apocalittiche of lives put down and villages destroyed in a musical atmosphere very intense. Mario Luzzatto Fegiz 28 July 2005

www.freetranslation

September 14th, 2005 09:47 AM
FotiniD
quote:
egon wrote:
«is not a matter of "air fried political" - writes Magpie - a band so does not have to né to accept censorships, né itself above all on a matter of the type».

How exactly does "Gazza" translate to "Magpie"? And what is "Magpie" anyway?

Congratulations you guys
September 14th, 2005 09:49 AM
egon sorry, i translated very quickly
September 14th, 2005 09:50 AM
FotiniD
quote:
egon wrote:
sorry, i translated very quickly

lol, no problem and I liked the sound of "Magpie"
September 14th, 2005 10:07 AM
Jumacfly Fuck you magpie, will ya??
September 14th, 2005 10:24 AM
Gazza LOL

C***s

Those free translations have a lot to answer for. The Italian text made more sense to me than some of that! Maybe some Italians can help us out here..

I've no idea about the link with Magpie. "Gazza" obviously just doesnt translate literally (Fotini - a magpie is a type of bird.)

(oddly enough, the English footballer 'Gazza' (Paul Gascoigne) played for Newcastle United, a club who, because they play in black and white, are known as The Magpies)
September 14th, 2005 10:26 AM
Gazza
quote:
egon wrote:
my italian is excellent:

er....I think your teacher should be made to "sleep with the fishes.."
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)