ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

From the book "Ode to a High Flying Bird
© 1960 Charlie Watts with special thanks to The Juf!!!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Kris Kristofferson Misses Cash (NSC) Return to archive
September 9th, 2004 10:43 AM
Martha Entertainment
09/09/2004  07:17:55 EST
Kris Kristofferson Misses Cash

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Kris Kristofferson says he still grieves the loss of his friend Johnny Cash.

"It's hard to believe that it's been a year," Kristofferson said recently from his home in Hawaii. "It's still painful that he's gone. I think about him a lot."

Kristofferson contributes to a new Country Music Television special "Controversy: Johnny Cash vs. Music Row," which airs 8-9 p.m. (EDT) Saturday and again Sunday afternoon.

The show explores the uneasy relationship between the country music establishment and the singer, who died on Sept. 12, 2003.

Cash, one of the genre's biggest stars, had a hard time getting his music on country radio in his later years - despite critical acclaim and Grammy Awards.

After a lull in his career in the 1970s and '80s, he found success with a series of albums he recorded with noted rap/rock producer Rick Rubin. Backed by rock acts such as Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Cash reached a new, younger audience drawn by his stark songs and rebellious spirit.

"I'm sure it gave him satisfaction to be out there knocking out a room full of kids," Kristofferson said. "He was always a little bit more experimental than other people in country music. He was doing stuff that wasn't being done back when he was singing `The Ballad of Ira Hayes,'" in 1964.

After winning a Grammy, Cash and Rubin put together a now infamous full-page music industry trade ad in 1998 that showed Cash flipping off the Nashville music establishment and country radio.

Cash was always a rebel, Kristofferson said.

"He was unlike anybody else," he said. "He was absolutely his own person. He went his own way and spoke his own words."
September 9th, 2004 10:47 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Wow. Thanks for posting that. Guess I know what I'll be doing saturday night.

September 9th, 2004 11:44 AM
Larry Dallas Thanks Martha,

I've been thinking about Johnny all week knowing that Saturday was the one year anniversary of his passing. Everyone here needs to blast some Cash loud and clear on Saturday.

Cash's art continued to thrive up to his death. He never sat on the sidelines and he never "retired" like so many other musicians do these days. Cash firmly believed that he had no choice but to make music until his dying breath. That's refreshing to me since Garth Brooks, who "retired" from music, is probably looking forward to drawing Social Security and getting the Senior discount at Denny's. I hope that the Stones will follow the same path that Johnny walked. God Bless Johnny Cash.
September 9th, 2004 11:49 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
September 9th, 2004 11:53 AM
Ten Thousand Motels

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
September 9th, 2004 12:09 PM
Nellcote Great to see Kris pay homage to a worthy musician.
He's still a putz of the 1st order...
September 9th, 2004 12:11 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Great to see Kris pay homage to a worthy musician.
He's still a putz of the 1st order...

Kristofferson's a putz ?
September 9th, 2004 12:16 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Kristofferson's a putz ?

LOL. Oh don't worry about it....he IS from Massachusetts.
September 9th, 2004 12:34 PM
Nellcote I had a verbal go round with the former Mr. Barbara Streisand in Austin TX in March. I challenged his attempt of using his liberal stance towards his knowledge of world affairs with irrefutable facts that the great bearded one was hollering for a life-raft once I got done with him. I advised him he should clear up the warble he was presenting as singing, and concentrate on writing music as he used to, stop pontificating on items he's not informed on. The crowd loved it. I had a good time. Saw Ian Mclagan later that evening at the same club, was the icing on the cake of my encounter with "The Putz" Kristopherson..

September 9th, 2004 12:43 PM
Bloozehound LOL

I see, good job.

Ya his activism gets annoying, especially recently.

What club did this happen at ?
September 9th, 2004 12:47 PM
Nellcote Continental Club, great place...
September 9th, 2004 12:51 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

Ya his activism gets annoying, especially recently.

All activism is "annoying" if it's not "our" activism. So if it annoys you relegate to a barbed wire free speech zone...and if that doesn't work then you always have the riot police to arrest everyone.
September 9th, 2004 12:54 PM
Martha I LOVE the shot of Johnny and Bob together TTM. Is that a still taken from Johnny's TV show? I know Bob was his very first musical guest. Is that available anywhere by the way? I'd love to see it.

Larry Dallas you are very welcome. :-)

We lost two musical giants in the same week last year.... Warren Zevon passed on September 7th and Johnny Cash passed on the 12th.

May they rest in peace. There music will live on forever.

MArtha

PS I like Kris too.

September 9th, 2004 12:56 PM
Martha Ooops typo alert....I meant to type...THEIR (not there) music will live on...forever.

Sorry.
September 9th, 2004 12:56 PM
Sir Stonesalot >his activism gets annoying<

I guess sometimes people forget that this country was founded on activism. Good thing it wasn't annoying in 1776.

Funny, but if Kris's world view jibed with yours, you'd be singing his praises for speaking out.

Do you think people like Kris and Bruce and Steve Earle...even Michael Moore...hate the USA? Or do they love their country, but are just misguided and foolish?
September 9th, 2004 12:57 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Continental Club, great place...

Yes it is, great club.

That's funny, I'm surprised all the liberal Austinites didn't jump your case for heckling Kristofferson
September 9th, 2004 12:59 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>his activism gets annoying<

I guess sometimes people forget that this country was founded on activism. Good thing it wasn't annoying in 1776.

Funny, but if Kris's world view jibed with yours, you'd be singing his praises for speaking out.

Do you think people like Kris and Bruce and Steve Earle...even Michael Moore...hate the USA? Or do they love their country, but are just misguided and foolish?

Hey Sir Stupid, it's not 1776 and I don't sing praises of anyone pal.
September 9th, 2004 01:00 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Martha wrote:
I LOVE the shot of Johnny and Bob together TTM. Is that a still taken from Johnny's TV show? I know Bob was his very first musical guest. Is that available anywhere by the way? I'd love to see it.

Yes. I think so.
I don't know. But how can seeing Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash on the same stage together NOT send shivers up your spine. Even if you have seen the same photo a milion times.

September 9th, 2004 01:08 PM
Martha
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Yes. I think so.
I don't know. But how can seeing Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash on the same stage together NOT send shivers up your spine. Even if you have seen the same photo a milion times.

I've NEVER seen that photos (still) before and it sparked me to scream with delight! Shivers up my spine must come after the initial shock/surprise then! LOL Thanks again for posting it!
September 9th, 2004 01:44 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
September 9th, 2004 02:09 PM
Sir Stonesalot >it's not 1776 <

No shit, thanks for that astute observation. Good thing it isn't too, or a lot of us would have been swinging from a tree limb by now. Long live King George, amen.

September 9th, 2004 02:45 PM
Larry Dallas [I challenged his attempt of using his liberal stance towards his knowledge of world affairs with irrefutable facts that the great bearded one was hollering for a life-raft once I got done with him.

[/quote]

Man, I had the same thing happen to me at a Brooks and Dunn show. Except I was arguing against their conservative stance towards their knowledge of world affairs(they had just gotten back from their performance at the Republican convention) and they threatened to send Toby Keith after my ass. I was fortunate enough to get the hell out of the state fair parking lot before all of the people in cowboy hats and button down shirts with flames on them came after me. Luckily I had just gotten my blue jeans back from the dry cleaners, allowing me enough time to blend in and boot scoot back to my Ford truck (didn't need a life raft)....since I'm a Ford Truck Man. That's all I drive!
September 9th, 2004 02:47 PM
parmeda
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
I had a verbal go round with the former Mr. Barbara Streisand in Austin TX in March. I challenged his attempt of using his liberal stance towards his knowledge of world affairs with irrefutable facts that the great bearded one was hollering for a life-raft once I got done with him. I advised him he should clear up the warble he was presenting as singing, and concentrate on writing music as he used to, stop pontificating on items he's not informed on. The crowd loved it. I had a good time. Saw Ian Mclagan later that evening at the same club, was the icing on the cake of my encounter with "The Putz" Kristopherson..

Hey Nell...in reading about your humorous confrontation with Mr. K, the first thing that popped into my head was the story about "him" being one of four that the lyrics of Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" could possibly be about.
Ha!...deep down, I always thought it was about Mick. But after reading this, some time ago:

http://www.carlysimon.com/vain/vain.htm

...I then changed my mind to thinking it was about Warren. NOW...after seeing Kris through the years and how he somewhat has an arrogant-aire of himself...makes me kinda wonder? Don't get me wrong, I think the guy is a great song-man! But, we all have this "other side" that most people never see...

I say, "Good for you", for standing your ground...
September 9th, 2004 02:50 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>it's not 1776 <
Good thing it isn't too, or a lot of us would have been swinging from a tree limb by now. Long live King George, amen.

Right, and your not. So what's your point ?
September 9th, 2004 03:27 PM
Dan
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>his activism gets annoying<

I think they love the attention. Michael Moore is a liar though.
September 9th, 2004 03:42 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Dan wrote:
I think they love the attention. Michael Moore is a liar though.

Yes!

You are the Man, Dan
September 9th, 2004 03:49 PM
Nellcote My whole issue that if Kristopherson wants to speak out, then expect to hear a contrary opinion, and allow that opinion to have the amount of time he gave with his. He's a performer, dammit! I paid money to hear music, not to be preached to about their feelings. Sing a song about it, that's different. As I said before, he should stick to performing. These artists who suddenly think they are political activists, all knowing of world affairs, do not have a clue about what they are saying. Perform, shut up, get out of my life.
September 9th, 2004 04:11 PM
Bloozehound Right

When I go to concerts I'm there to hear music and have a good time, not attend a political rally and get all worked up.

Kris has always been a very politically charged dude no doubt, but...yeah I agree it gets annoying once they cross a certain point and start preaching, and if they want to use their time as such then they should award time for opposing views to be heard. Good point.

Gonna have to remember that for next time Steve Earle is in town.

September 9th, 2004 04:23 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

Hey Sir Stupid, it's not 1776 and I don't sing praises of anyone pal.

Except the Eagles.
September 9th, 2004 06:57 PM
gypsy I don't discuss politics on Stones message boards. Have I mentioned that before?
I like the pic of Dylan and Cash...like Marha, I had never seen it before. What a Howe-ard Carter-like find!