ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

From the book "Ode to a High Flying Bird
© 1960 Charlie Watts with special thanks to The Juf!!!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus DVD Release Return to archive
September 6th, 2004 06:00 PM
elmolewis STONES’ ‘CIRCUS’ FINALLY SET TO ROLL ON DVD

ABKCO Records will release the legendary Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus for the first time on DVD October 12th. Filmed before a live audience at Intertel VTR Services Limited, a North London TV studio in 1968, Rock and Roll Circus was originally conceived as a BBC TV special but it never aired. Rock and Roll Circus was directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg and centers on the original line up of the Rolling Stones – Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Brian Jones, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts (with Nicky Hopkins and Rocky Dijon) who serve as both the show’s hosts and featured attraction. The “World’s Greatest Rock and Roll Band” is seen and heard performing six Stones classics-to-be: “Jumping Jack Flash,” “Parachute Woman,” “No Expectations,” “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” “Sympathy For The Devil” and “Salt of The Earth.”

The program also includes full length musical performances by The Who, Jethro Tull, Taj Mahal, Marianne Faithful, Yoko Ono as well as The Dirty Mac, a group that was the first musical context in which John Lennon performed before an audience outside The Beatles. The Dirty Mac was Eric Clapton (lead guitar), The Rolling Stones’ own Keith Richards (bass) and Mitch Mitchell of the Jimi Hendrix Experience (drums) with Lennon on guitar and vocals. A mirthful conversation between Jagger and Lennon to introduce The Dirty Mac finds them referring to each other as “Winston” and “Michael” with Jagger affecting a convincingly flat American accent and Lennon referring to himself as “Winston Leg-Thigh.”

The main program, first issued on video in 1995, runs 65 minutes. ABKCO’s new DVD version includes numerous additional bonus elements with the main program now remixed in 5.1 surround sound. The source for the DVD is a new digital transfer from the original 16mm negatives.

Newly recorded audio commentaries by Jagger, Richards and Wyman as well as Ono, Jethro Tull’s Ian Anderson, Faithfull, Mahal, Lindsay-Hogg and Anthony B. Richmond who was director of photography on Rock and Roll Circus are included. Additional commentary from journalist David Dalton who covered the original December 11-12, 1968 filming for Rolling Stone plus original audience member David Stark who was 13 years old at the time of the Rock and Roll Circus sessions. Heretofore unseen footage from the two marathon days and nights of shooting include a backstage encounter between Jagger, Lennon and Ono and a previously unseen alternate take four screen version (“quad split”) of Dirty Mac’s performance of the Beatles “Yer Blues” are among the many extra features. Three additional Taj Mahal songs from the original session plus a 2004 on-screen interview with The Who’s Pete Townshend are included. Footage of various circus performances, a still photo gallery and two classical performances by Julius Katchen are DVD extras as is the Fat Boy Slim remix of “Sympathy For The Devil.”

Michael Lindsay-Hogg is the pioneering music video director behind The Beatles’ Let It Be feature film and many of the Rolling Stones’ seminal video clips. During the course of his more than 40 year career, he has directed specials for Simon and Garfunkel, Neil Young, Paul Simon and The Who and was director of the “Brideshead Revisited” TV series. Tony Richmond is the veteran cinematographer whose feature film credits include “The Kids Are Alright,” featuring The Who; “The Man Who Fell To Earth,” starring David Bowie and Jean Luc Goddard’s “Sympathy For The Devil” that ABKCO released on DVD last year.

Rock and Roll Circus was produced for DVD by the same ABKCO team that produced the Grammy ® winning Sam Cooke: Legend. Suggested retail list price for The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus DVD is $19.98.

The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus (main program, performances)

1. Song For Jeffrey – Jethro Tull
2. A Quick One While He’s Away – The Who
3. Something Better – Marianne Faithfull
4. Ain’t That A Lot of Love – Taj Mahal
5. Yer Blues – The Dirty Mac
6. Whole Lotta Yoko – Yoko Ono & Ivry Gitlis with The Dirty Mac Band
7. Jumping Jack Flash – Rolling Stones
8. Parachute Woman – Rolling Stones
9. No Expectations – Rolling Stones
10. Sympathy For The Devil – Rolling Stones
11. Salt Of The Earth – Rolling Stones

DVD extras include

Checkin’ Up On My Baby – Taj Mahal
Corina – Taj Mahal
Leavin’ Trunk – Taj Mahal
Ritual Fire Dance – Julius Katchen
Sonata In C, First Movement – Julius Katchen
Yer Blues (alternate version) – The Dirty Mac
Backstage footage – Mick Jagger, John Lennon, Yoko Ono
Sympathy For The Devil – Fat Boy Slim Remix
Interview - Pete Townshend
Still photo gallery

Audio commentaries:
Mick Jagger
Ian Anderson
Taj Mahal
Yoko Ono
Bill Wyman
Keith Richards
Michael Lindsey-Hogg
Anthony B. Richmond
Marianne Faithful
David Stark
David Dalton

September 6th, 2004 07:55 PM
Soldatti Welcome!
BTW, the news are already old...
September 6th, 2004 08:01 PM
mac_daddy great news. i will be picking this up for sure. i just hope the original stereo soundtrack is included as well...
September 6th, 2004 08:04 PM
Soldatti I have this show on VHS, CD and DVD (not official). I don't know if I will waste my money on this again...
September 6th, 2004 08:50 PM
Mr Hess
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I have this show on VHS, CD and DVD (not official). I don't know if I will waste my money on this again...

Me too.
But if someone wants to give it to me as an Xmas present.......
September 6th, 2004 09:26 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Mr Hess wrote:
But if someone wants to give it to me as an Xmas present.......

My hands are open...
September 6th, 2004 10:10 PM
kmc this is the usual b.s.

where are the extra stones songs?!!!

they played and filmed for hours. you think they could have thrown us one or two bonus cuts.
September 7th, 2004 10:53 AM
scratched
quote:
kmc wrote:
they played and filmed for hours. you think they could have thrown us one or two bonus cuts.

Yeah, where's Route 66?
September 7th, 2004 10:55 AM
glencar What extra songs did they do, beides Rte 66?
September 7th, 2004 11:51 AM
Martha I consider this show my most valued possession of my music/video collection and cannot wait to get it on DVD.

Happy Birthday to ME!

:-)
September 7th, 2004 01:13 PM
stewed & Keefed
quote:
glencar wrote:
What extra songs did they do, beides Rte 66?

I think they also did Confessin The Blues.
September 7th, 2004 01:15 PM
padre I think there were at least Route 66, Confessin' The Blues, Yonder Wall and Walkin' Blues from The Stones besides the released set.
September 7th, 2004 01:25 PM
egon Thank god for my philips cd player with Favorite Track Selection. This way I'll never ever have to hear "whole lotta yoko again. (Which btw they should have named "too much yoko).

Don't care much for the video, but the cd does it for me.
September 7th, 2004 02:35 PM
Saint Sway cool. But I didnt see any mention of when it drops?

anyone know?
September 7th, 2004 04:45 PM
justinkurian It's in the first sentence...

ABKCO Records will release the legendary Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus for the first time on DVD October 12th.