ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

From the book "Ode to a High Flying Bird
© 1960 Charlie Watts with special thanks to The Juf!!!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ronnie's Art Show Opening Return to archive
September 6th, 2004 02:01 PM
littleredrooster RON WOOD ART EXHIBITION OPENS IN SAN FRANCISCO

A LIVE Rocks Off report

On Thursday night, September 2nd, Ron Wood had a gala opening to exhibit his artwork at a gallery in San Francisco. The invitation only crowd consisted of a large cross section of art patrons, casual fans and rabid followers (Rooster et al).
A large crowd was estimated at about 150 people crammed into the tiny, dual hall gallery at 'The San Francisco Art Exchange' on Geary. As we arrived at the suggested time, 7:00pm, a line had formed outside the venue. Ronnie's artwork adorned the entire gallery as the invited perused and commented on the numbered prints and occasional oil works, while sipping complementary beverages.

Comments like, "Oh, isn't he the Rolling Stone that joined the group after Mick Taylor died?"
I assured that patron the MT was alive and well!

At 8:45pm a long black limo arrived and Ronnie Wood emerged! He was hustled quickly inside the gallery with a bodyguard and gallery security in tow. Through the crowd (it was tight) and into a back room.
It seems that Ronnie was intimidated by the large crowd and stayed in the back room accepting private audience from those who had plunked down five to six figures for one of his prints.
He was not seen for most of the evening!

I thought that Mick Taylor was shy!?!?

Before Ronnie arrived, we were given explicit instructions not to 'mob' him, take pictures, or request autographs.
(This would be reserved for paying customers!) About an hour or so later.......................................
Ronnie finally waded through the crowd, he stopped at various works and made comments. This took about 10 to 15 minutes, the extent of his public exposure.

During this time I was able to 'front him' with a concert photo from the Bstage at Oakland Licks (Thanks! PhilA,aka SparksWillFly) and a silver Sharpie. He graciously signed the 8x12 photo.
Rooster came prepared with a collage of different original shots from 1994 to the present! As I turned the page to have him sign another, a Gallery Goon threatened to toss the Rooster out on his tail feathers!
Rooster, crestfallen, complied.
Ronnie then made tracks for the door, across the street to visit Marianne Faithful who had just completed the opening of her new theater production.
He was gone never to return to his 'opening'.

Although it was nice to be there, it was not set up very well. There was an area where Ronnie could have stayed, behind a desk, sheltered from Rooster and the masses, to receive fans, shake hands, pose for pictures and sign some things.
It was not to be!

This night was for those with deep pockets.

Items ranging from $900 to $150,000 represented the price of reception on this night!

Ronnie looked quite healthy, but so does a deer in your headlights.
He looked remarkably similar to one of those stunned creatures.

Reporting LIVE from San Francisco for 'Rocks Off'

Your,

Roostah

All The News That Fits We Print
[Edited by littleredrooster]
September 6th, 2004 03:14 PM
Monkey Woman Great report, Rooster!

I wonder if Ronnie is one of these people who feel nervous in a crowd but hide it quite well as long as they have drink to blot out their anxiety... He's got a reputation as a party animal, but also as a social drinker after all.
September 6th, 2004 03:49 PM
parmeda
quote:
littleredrooster wrote:
During this time I was able to 'front him' with a concert photo from the Bstage at Oakland Licks (Thanks! PhilA,aka SparksWillFly) and a silver Sharpie. He graciously signed the 8x12 photo.
Rooster came prepared with a collage of different original shots from 1994 to the present! As I turned the page to have him sign another, a Gallery Goon threatened to toss the Rooster out on his tail feathers!
Rooster, crestfallen, complied.

Roostah! Great manuver...you were so prepared...I love it!
Too bad the Goon wrecked the rest of your plan
Were there people there looking at you, like, "Look at THIS guy!"? ...lol (They were jealous THEY didn't think to do it!)
September 6th, 2004 04:22 PM
MarthaMyDear My advice worked after all!!! HE!!! HE!!! HE!!!
Just playing, Roostah!!! WOW!!! You sure are fricking GREAT
at meeting people no matter what and who the hell wouldn't
want to meet you anyways?!?!?! You're one of the nicest people
around!!! I know they enjoy meeting the
Roostah, IMHO!!! Anyways, talk to you soon and
ROCK ON!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
September 6th, 2004 07:53 PM
Soldatti Thanks Rooster...
September 6th, 2004 10:36 PM
littleredrooster I was handing out spare pictures to strangers!

I hoped that they would have them signed by Ronnie, but no one would approach him!???

Confused Roostah
September 6th, 2004 11:27 PM
parmeda *******BLANK FRICKEN STARE********

Roost, what the hell?
Did you at least get the photos back from the chicken-shits? They don't deserve them...

Those strangers are a waste of human flesh, lol
September 8th, 2004 02:23 AM
littleredrooster This thread has current Stones news, why no interest???

Let's bring it back to the top of the page!!!!
September 8th, 2004 03:34 AM
MarthaMyDear It sounds like this was just an "off night", Ed!!! Strange
nights happen... This sounds like one of those cases where
that Doors song comes clearly to mind... People are
strange... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad you did get your
autograph, though, so good for you and just try to leave it
at that... Ronnie very well might just be having a very hard
time in his sobriety and that DOES happen (no big surprise
there with any of us in that position!!! lol.......... :P
) and I'm sure he's signed at least a million
autographs in his day so that MUST get to be tiring at some
point, you know!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!