ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

From the book "Ode to a High Flying Bird
© 1960 Charlie Watts with special thanks to The Juf!!!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I'm Going to Bob Dylan & Willie Nelson! (nsc) Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 27th, 2004 12:11 AM
gypsy I am going to see Bob and Willie on September 3rd. Yay! I just bought my ticket. And I finally found a friend who will go with me (you know I only have two friends)--ha! No, everyone has to work or is going out of town, since it will be Labor Day Weekend.
I've never seen either one in concert, so I am very excited.
Joey, I'm typing this with my nipples!
August 27th, 2004 07:52 AM
Factory Girl gypsy, I will go with you.
August 27th, 2004 08:06 AM
LadyJane Bet Miss Martha had something to do with persuading you to go!!! Have fun.

Mrs. Mellencamp...just listening to Johnny's new CD that you so graciously gave to me...just what I needed on this "blusey" kind of Fryday morning. Thanks!

LJ.
August 27th, 2004 10:19 AM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Joey, I'm typing this with my nipples!

Breasts Heaving ?!?!
August 30th, 2004 06:36 PM
Lil Brian
quote:
Joey wrote:
Breasts Heaving ?!?!

I'm going Tuesday night to Haymarket Park.

Rochester, Minnesota
Mayo Field
August 29, 2004

Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
Forever Young
God Knows
Heartland (with Willie Nelson)
Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
Positively 4th Street
Highway 61 Revisited
Bye and Bye
Tryin' To Get To Heaven
Honest With Me
It Ain't Me Babe
Summer Days

Like A Rolling Stone
All Along The Watchtower
August 30th, 2004 06:43 PM
Phog I'm going on Sept. 1st in Wichita, and Sept. 4th in KC. I seriously considered taking vacation to see the Nebraska and Oklahoma shows, but I've got a big Pixies roadtrip in October. Saving up the $$. Enjoy the shows Gypsy and Lil' Brian.
August 30th, 2004 07:14 PM
gypsy I got my ticket today! My friend Brandi is going with me. And I just got an email from my friend Nicole, who now says she can go. So, the more the merrier! I'm really excited to be going to see Bob & Willie.
August 30th, 2004 07:41 PM
Lil Brian Enjoy the show Gypsy and friends.

Phog-
I'll never forget seeing The Pixies ('80-something) in a quonset hut out at our fairgrounds. Great show!

For you that maybe aren't familiar:

quonset-a prefabricated shelter set on a foundation of bolted sheel trusses and built of a semicircular arching roof of corregated metal insulated with wood fiber.

:-)
August 30th, 2004 08:45 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh man, a quonset hut. When I was in the army, we had a recreation area in one of those things. Get more than a few people in one of those things and the noise is ridiculous!

The Pixies are a fairly noisy band to begin with, but in a quonset hut....they must have sounded like an earthquake!

I saw them around the same time...late 80 something...it was beautiful.
August 31st, 2004 04:35 PM
Joey Oh man, a quonset hut. When I was in the Vietnam , we had a game of " Russian Roulette " in one of those things. Get more than a few people in one of those things and the noise is ridiculous!

MAO !!!!!!!!!!! .. " Slap ! " .. MAO !!!!!!!!!
September 1st, 2004 07:21 AM
Mr Hess I saw Dylan when he played Yale Field.
I was not impressed.
I left after a 1/2 hour.
September 1st, 2004 11:11 AM
Martha
quote:
Mr Hess wrote:
I saw Dylan when he played Yale Field.
I was not impressed.
I left after a 1/2 hour.

Welcome to the board Mr. Hess. Not impressed with Bob Dylan ehh? Left after a half hour.....???

Hum......I hope you don't mind me asking but had you ever seen Bobby before?

I was there that night too and it was the best of the three shows (8/6>8/7>8/21) for me.

Where did you sit that night? In the stands?

I thought it was an incredible show and a fantastic set-list. And....I got "Love Sick" that night! It was heavenly. I will never forget it. :-)

Gypsy I'll hook you up to TMR at your show on the 3rd...I'll be calling you.

Phog, do you want to meet and greet? :-) PM me if you do.

"Some people will offer you their hand...and some won't."

Martha

PS LadyJane>
LJ.....I tried to vote for my favorite T-shirt but my puter couldn't handle that thread since it has all those pics in it. It stalled out and wouldn't let me post! I may be calling you for help!
September 1st, 2004 04:08 PM
gypsy Hey Martha! I just received your gifts in the mail. Thanks so much!
I don't put too much stock into Hess's review. Different strokes for different folks. I'm sure I'll enjoy the show!
September 1st, 2004 05:48 PM
Lil Brian Willie, Dylan charm young, old in Lincoln

BY KIM ROBERTS-GUDEMAN

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU
LINCOLN - It's a principle of baseball and music: When it's showtime, send your veterans to the plate.

Willie Nelson performs at Lincoln's Haymarket Park Tuesday.

Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson hit one out of the ballpark at their concert Tuesday night at Lincoln's Haymarket Park.

The performers made the stop on their monthlong tour of minor league baseball parks. The tour began Aug. 6 in Cooperstown, N.Y., home of the Baseball Hall of Fame. It will end Sept. 4 in Kansas City, Kan. The Negro Leagues Baseball Museum is nearby, in Kansas City, Mo.

About 6,500 fans turned out for a classic show Tuesday, taking seats in the stadium or spreading blankets on the grassy outfield.

For many in the audience, the night was about more than music. It was about introducing two American music icons to children and grandchildren and celebrating their impact on generations.

Cecilia Prussa, 10, came to the show with her grandparents and younger sister to see the men whose records her grandma played for her.

"I've heard lots about Willie," said Cecilia, of Lincoln. She had her hair in braids in honor of Nelson. And after wriggling her way near the stage, she returned to her seat wide-eyed.

"When we went up to the front, Willie waved at us," she said, still a little breathless.

That's exactly what promoter Don Sullivan intended.

"You have two legends in Bob and Willie," Sullivan said. "And minor league ballparks are all about family atmosphere."

Family atmosphere is part of the reason Jo Ballard of Lincoln and her husband brought their 11-year-old son Lawson to the show.

This is his first-ever concert, Ballard said.

Country-swing trio the Hot Club of Cowtown, of Austin, Texas, opened the show with a rollicking set that had couples dancing and swinging to the beat.

At the end of the set, Nelson came out for a song with the trio.

Nelson, dressed in a black T-shirt, jeans and red bandanna, took the stage for an hourlong set. It included many beloved hits, including "Pancho & Lefty," "Always on My Mind," "Mamas, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys" and "On The Road Again."

At one point, Nelson lifted his glass to the audience. Many fans responded by toasting him with their plastic beer cups.

Dylan took the stage last, dressed in a black cowboy hat and a black long-sleeve shirt. He quickly took his position behind the keyboards and stayed there for most of the set.

He tickled the crowd with a few classics, including "Highway 61 Revisited" and "All Along the Watchtower."

His voice was often unintelligible, but fans - many of whom were on their feet for the duration of the show - didn't seem to mind.

As Carol Ott Schacht of Lincoln put it: "It might be one of the last chances to see these guys play."
September 2nd, 2004 07:37 AM
Mr Hess
quote:
Martha wrote:

Welcome to the board Mr. Hess. Not impressed with Bob Dylan ehh? Left after a half hour.....???

Hum......I hope you don't mind me asking but had you ever seen Bobby before?

I was there that night too and it was the best of the three shows (8/6>8/7>8/21) for me.

Where did you sit that night? In the stands?

Actually I saw Dylan back in 1975 when he came thru New Haven.
I just never 'got' him.
Hey, he's a better songwriter than a singer.
BTW, I wandered around Yale Field during the show-got about 10 feet away from the stage at one point.
I was the guy wearing the 'Keith Richards Athletic Club' shirt.
September 2nd, 2004 11:49 AM
Martha
quote:
Mr Hess wrote:

Actually I saw Dylan back in 1975 when he came thru New Haven.
I just never 'got' him.
Hey, he's a better songwriter than a singer.
BTW, I wandered around Yale Field during the show-got about 10 feet away from the stage at one point.
I was the guy wearing the 'Keith Richards Athletic Club' shirt.

Mr, Hess,

I wish we could have met at thte show. I love talking to people wearing Keef shirts! :-)

We were about 30 feet from the stage that night.

I can relate to not getting Bob, I didn't either for some time. The first time I saw him in concert was in 1978 at UD Arena in Dayton, OH. It was the first and only time I stood in a line waiting to buy tickets all night long.

The night of the show I remember thinking Bob was weird (he had makeup on like Alice Cooper). I expected the songs to sound like the Greatest Hits album I had.....and they did not sound anything like it. Now I realize he's constantly shifting and changing his songs and arrangements, which must be something that resides deep in his marrow. From the bio I am reading about his life, he started rearranging the tempo of a song at the ripe old age of 4. It took me quite some time to really get him...but now I confess...he truly amazes me. I can't wait to see him on the Fall tour....and find out what he has in store next. Never a boring moment. :-)

Do you have his latest albums, "Time Out Of Mind" and "Love and Theft"? One or both of these are on my changer or in the car stereo all the time. I can't seem to hear them enough.

I'm glad to chat with you! Take care.

Peace,
Martha
September 2nd, 2004 03:31 PM
gypsy No, Bob isn't the best singer...but like Keith, he emotes, and I love that. Martha and I have already discussed the emoting.
September 4th, 2004 12:56 PM
Sir Stonesalot I emote.

And if you get me to emote long enough, I spurt too.
September 5th, 2004 07:48 AM
Ctiger2 "God Knows" rocked HARD in Rochester, MN. Very nice!
September 5th, 2004 03:33 PM
wisertime ""No, Bob isn't the best singer...but like Keith, he emotes, and I love that.""

TOTALLY AGREE !!!

What is a good singer ???!!!
Maybe Celine Dion is a good singer ???!!!
But she doesn't emote at all !!!!

September 6th, 2004 12:09 AM
Sir Stonesalot >Maybe Celine Dion is a good singer ???!!!
But she doesn't emote at all !!!!<

Of course she emotes.

Celine OVER-emotes...and in a very bad way...that is her whole problem. She sings like Bill Shatner acts. Except she is far more annoying than Shatner.
September 6th, 2004 01:22 AM
gypsy Does your wife listen to Celine?
September 6th, 2004 01:59 AM
gypsy I shall give my review of the AUDIENCE at the concert.

JUST ANOTHER REASON WHY I THINK OKLAHOMA IS TRASHY
by gypsy
I don't know where to begin...okay, yeah, when Willie took the stage, there was this old roadwhore behind me with a roadwhore friend. They made Sissy from "Urban Cowboy" look like a yuppie Barbie doll. So, roadwhore number one keeps nudging me, elbowing me, trying to get up front. The first dozen times, I thought it was an accident...but then I realized she and her friend were trying to steal my spot. So, I elbowed her so hard, she stumbled back and spilled her $6 beer all over herself. They moved.
I was in the second row, okay. The entire front row was comprised of a mom who looked like Cousin It mixed w/ Jerry Hall (because she was about 6' tall and had hair down past her butt--yeah, long hair is cool, but not if you don't wash it and/or use some styling products on it) and her 3 or 4 daughters, which were like mini versions of her...very ugly w/ the long hair, except their hair was in worse condition--very frizzy and all knotted up. But that did not stop them from attempting to do what they thought were sexy hair flips, especially the little troll in front of me...and it grossed me out because her hair touched my face, and I felt like she gave me her cooties. The daughters all had friends with them...and they all took up the entire front row, doing this 'dance,' where they jumped up and down like they were on pogo sticks...and it didn't matter if the song was slow, medium, fast...they had no rhythm...it was sad. But one of the friends did her own version of 'the robot' to EVERY song...it was a kind of jerky-movement 'robot.' So, she's doing her "robot with tourette's having a seizure" dance with a huge smile on her face for the entire FIVE hours. Now, let's get down to her ensemble...she was donning a tight sundress with teal, turquoise, and hot pink flowers, BLACK pantyhose, and dirty beige Naturalizer nursing shoes.
Also, a very drunk cowboy kept rubbing against me, and he was not being pushed by anyone. He was a total frotulist, and I asked him to stop. He didn't. I flipped his cowboy hat off of his head. He stopped, moved elsewhere, and I didn't see him again, thankfully.
I'm not even going to get into the BIG girls and their painted on Western jeans, where you can see every dimple on their ass...
September 6th, 2004 01:05 PM
Sir Stonesalot >I'm not even going to get into the BIG girls and their painted on Western jeans, where you can see every dimple on their ass...<

Why not? This was just starting to get interesting!

In PA we have the big girls who wear the elastic waistband polyester stretch pants, where you can not only see every dimple on their fat asses...but also the panty lines from their enormous granny panties...and all the jiggling folds of flab. Disgusting...hilarious...at the same time.

Were there any Deadhead/Phish wookies in the crowd doing the mindless hippy dance? There were lots of them at the Altoona show. I hate them. They smell real bad. And what is with the dreads? Are we really supposed to believe that they are Rasta? Do they realize how stupid white people look with dreads? What a bunch of dipshits.

Now that Phish are gone...who are the wookies gonna follow around? I'm hoping it will be DMB. You wouldn't know if the stench came from the band, the crowd, or the bus!

So Gypsy....how was the show?
September 6th, 2004 02:45 PM
gypsy Yes, SS, there were a lot of white people with dreads. There were also many fat women with crop tops--or perhaps they were 'normal'-sized tops that 'rode up'--with fat rolls just bulging out. An awful lot of women who were a bit long in the tooth...trying to dress younger than theiryears...very sad and pathetic.

The show was awesome. Willie was great...really played to the audience...smiling, waving, throwing out cowboy hats and bandannas. His 15-year-old son, Lucas, played "Texas Flood" like you wouldn't believe. SS, I was worried that Toby Keith might come out onstage when Willie sang that "Beer For My Horses" song...thankfully, he didn't.
Bob was just what I'd expected...he stayed at the left-hand side of the stage, behind his keyboard...so the focus was not on him, but on the music and the band. He really got a kick out of jamming with his band...he was smiling, tapping his feet, and just enjoying the music. Willie and his son came out and jammed with Bob during "Heartland."
Both Bob and Willie put on great shows. Everyone was asking me who performed better, etc...But there's no comparing the two, as they are totally different. I enjoyed both of them equally, and cannot say one was better than the other.
$40 for a ticket to see two legends was an awesome deal.

1.Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
2.Tell Me That It Isn't True
3.Highway 61 Revisited
4.Heartland (with Willie and his sons)
5.Cold Irons Bound
6.If Dogs Run Free (Elana Fremerman on violin)
7.Can't Wait
8.Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)
9.Make You Feel My Love
10.Honest With Me
11.Sugar Baby
12.Summer Days
(encore)
13.Like A Rolling Stone
14.All Along The Watchtower

September 6th, 2004 02:47 PM
Martha Now that Phish are gone...who are the wookies gonna follow around? I'm hoping it will be DMB. You wouldn't know if the stench came from the band, the crowd, or the bus!

I'll take the risk of asking a stoopid question here....what or who the hell is DMB?

Yeah, and how was the show!
September 6th, 2004 03:35 PM
parmeda
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I shall give my review of the AUDIENCE at the concert.

gypsy, that was some funny fucking shit...and boy, can I relate! rotflmao!!

Thanks for the laugh

Hey Martha, I'm with you...wtf is DMB, SS?

September 6th, 2004 03:45 PM
gypsy Glad I could make you laugh, parmy. It made LJ laugh. But I thought the post would seem cruel to people who might read it, not knowing me and my personality.
I JUST figured it out--DMB--Dave Matthews Band. I couldn't figure it out just a second ago, and was going to ask. Ah, the miracle of drugs.
September 6th, 2004 03:49 PM
charlotte Gypsy, did you buy a Willie/Bob tee-shirt?????
September 6th, 2004 03:56 PM
gypsy No, I didn't, charlotte. They were just way too expensive...almost more than the price of the ticket! I did almost buy a Dylan baseball style v-neck top...it was really cute, but it cost around $40. My friend talked me out of it, saying that we could find them cheaper on ebay.
[Edited by gypsy]
Page: 1 2