ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Poncho Rico
With thanks to Irina and Lucía :)

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Busted Return to archive
09-11-03 09:32 PM
nankerphelge Chong gets 9 months for selling bongs

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (AP) -- Tommy Chong, who played one half of the dope-smoking duo in the Cheech and Chong movies, asked for leniency from a judge Thursday but was sentenced to nine months in prison for conspiring to sell drug paraphernalia.

Chong's attorneys argued for no jail time, saying the actor and comedian would use his celebrity to become a role model against drugs and would dedicate his life to public service.

The 65-year-old apologized to the court and his family, saying he "got carried away" with his movie character.

He admitted once having "a drug problem with marijuana" but said he beat it by redirecting his energy to salsa dancing.

"It's a Latin American dance that's awesome," Chong told U.S. District Judge Arthur J. Schwab before the judge imposed the sentence, which included a $20,000 fine.

Chong said he has been working with youth groups, teaching filmmaking and speaking against drug use.

When they "saw that I was not the character that I played in the movies, they were surprised. Some were disappointed," Chong said.

But Assistant U.S. Attorney Mary Houghton said Chong grew wealthy glamorizing drug use and trivializing law enforcement in his films of the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Houghton also said Chong used the movie persona to promote his catalog and Internet business.

Chong admitted that his company, which operated as Chong Glass and employed 25 glass blowers, sold some 7,500 bongs and pipes until February 14, when federal drug agents raided his California home and business. Authorities also seized about a pound of marijuana.

Richard G. Hirsch, one of Chong's attorneys, urged Schwab not to punish the actor for his films. "The government is asking you to blur the distinction between reality and satire," he said.

Chong's attorneys said the actor already has been punished: The case cost him a recurring role on the Fox sitcom "That '70s Show" and a planned reunion movie with Cheech Marin, with whom he co-starred in comedies including "Up in Smoke" and "Nice Dreams."

Along with the fine, Chong must forfeit more than $103,000. He will also be on probation for a year after his release.

The business, though defunct, was placed on probation for three years and its Internet domain name must be relinquished to federal authorities, along with any remaining paraphernalia.

Chong was allowed to remain free until federal prison officials tell him in a few weeks where to report to prison.

He pleaded guilty May 13 to conspiring to sell drug paraphernalia and pleaded guilty on behalf of his business.

The plea came after federal Drug Enforcement Administration agents bought his paraphernalia and had the items shipped to an undercover business in Beaver Falls, northwest of Pittsburgh.

Agents also confiscated his company's wares during raids of "head shops" in several states and confiscated "thousands of marijuana bongs and pipes" in a raid of his Gardena, California, business.
09-11-03 10:32 PM
sirmoonie Well its good to see the U.S. government has its priorities right and is defending us against guys who sell bongs. Everyone knows bongs are a gateway drug paraphenalia to commiting acts of tirrirism.

Yaaaayyyyyyy! I feel safer already! Yaaaaayyyyyyyy!
09-11-03 10:37 PM
Highwire Rob This is why I have such ambivalence towards my home city. I understand the sting operation covered more than just PA but I'm NOT surprised they chose Puritanical Pittsburgh to prosecute Chong.

Keep in mind we Pittsburghers still have to go to Big Brother to purchase Wine & Spirits and our beer only in licensed Beer Stores (no supermarkets). Oh, and if we just want a six-pack then we go to a six-pack bar/restaurant... No more than 2 six-packs shall be the number thou shalt carry out at one time, and the number of thy counting shall be no more than two lest it resemble a case... HOLY SIX-PACK OF ANTIOCH! DO NOT PASS GO... DO NOT COLLECT YOUR BUZZ!

About three years ago our city started raiding pipe shops on trumped up charges. You know those harmless bohemian student stores that sell dorm posters, Dead wear and tobacco pipes? But from what I could see, the stores adhered well to their posted policies about neither discussing nor dealing in drugs on the premises. I actually bought a Middle Eastern style hookah... and honestly I've used it for nothing other than the cool decor for which I bought it. (But maybe someday )

As a Pittsburgher, this is embarrassing.

My City of Ruins! Pittsburgh is on the verge of declaring bankruptcy--I think imprisoning Tommy Chong is the seventh sign. BING BONG -- FREE TOMMY CHONG!

PS Edit: You can't own/play any payout slot (fruit) machines in Pennsylvania either, although the government is presently considering loosening this law to allow their own regulated (racetrack) slots. I mean, we wouldn't want citizens gambling away their money when the local government operates on such sound fiscal policy?

I forgot to add that our law enforcement geniuses are presently admitting that Southwestern PA is experiencing a startling increase in Heroin traffic. Yep, they got their priorities in order all right...

Send me out for a pizza and collar bomb me Ronnie!

This has been a paid advertisement by the Pittsburgh Pennsylvania Visitors' Bureau. Pennsylvania... the memories last a lifetime [in prison] and don't forget, You've got [sic] a friend in Pennsylvania. just don't get them gambling, high, too many six-packs, an ornamental hookah pipe, and...
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
09-11-03 10:40 PM
MarthaMyDear THAT SUCKS SHIT!!! I LOVE CHONG!!! lol................... Whatever... HI, SIR MOONIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol............ :P ;D TAKE CARE!!!

*** Martha ***

P.S. (
quote:
The 65-year-old apologized to the court and his
family, saying he "got carried away" with his movie
character.

He admitted once having "a drug problem with marijuana" but
said he beat it by redirecting his energy to salsa dancing.

"It's a Latin American dance that's awesome," Chong told U.S.
District Judge Arthur J. Schwab before the judge imposed the
sentence, which included a $20,000 fine.

ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"It's awesome"!!!
ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
God... this is probably one of the most HILARIOUS things I've
read in a LONG, fucking time!!! Classic... I can just see
this courtroom drama IN one of their movies right now!!!
CRACKING-UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CLASS!!! CLASS!!! CLASS!!!
SHUT-UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you. lol..................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
:P :P I want to get
stoned again... Great!!! lol..................... :P :P :P :P
:P :P :P :P :P :P Just
kidding... lol..................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
:P :P )
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
09-12-03 12:57 PM
Sir Stonesalot You know, the Zippo lighter company is in PA. Many people who smoke pot use lighters. They better shut down Zippo. And Bic too!

I have seen kids making a marijuana smoking device from an aluminum soda can. We better just eliminate canned soda also.

And what about baggies? I hear that people keep marijuana in baggies...and yet they are sold to minors in our supermarkets!

I just love my government so much right now, I almost can't stand it.
09-12-03 01:10 PM
Joey " You know, the Zippo lighter company is in PA. Many people who smoke pot use lighters. They better shut down Zippo. "

In 1967 , we used Zippo lighters to start fires on the South Vietnamese Peasant's huts that we believed were being used by the Viet Congs to shoot at us ............

You should have seen the old peasants ( who's home represented a lifetime of backbreaking labor and effort ) bitch and wail about how we were taking over , occupying a foreign land and destroying everything in our paths .

I just used my Zippo lighter to light up a joint , took a big drag off of it , blew some smoke in their faces and brayed , " Fifty days and the wake up , a pause for the cause , and I am a gone M.F. , oh LORD !!!!!! "

G.I. Joe

09-12-03 02:09 PM
Boomy This is bad news. I was looking forward to seeing "Cheech and Chong Get Blunt".