ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Poncho Rico
With thanks to Irina and Lucía :)

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Do U still listen to Goddess in the Doorway? Return to archive Page: 1 2
09-11-03 05:11 PM
Some Guy Just curious, I don't even know where my CD is.
09-11-03 05:17 PM
steel driving hammer Yes.

Didn't really like it at first, but the more I listened, the more I liked.

I'm checking out the Kung Fu actor (Jackie Chan) boy is he WAY up his ass!

He won't even talk to me, but he wants to show me hoaaaaatodaince!
09-11-03 05:17 PM
Highwire Rob ...When my CD changer picks it up on random!

I still enjoy it though...
09-11-03 05:40 PM
Joey

Visions of Paradise is a Great Song !

09-11-03 06:50 PM
tumbling_dice I occasionally still listen to this album. I really liked it when I first got it and I played it over and over. I think Mick has really opened up more on this album.
09-11-03 06:57 PM
icydanger yes,,, I listen to it
reminds me to give thanks, and appreciate
a tribute to Life Nature
Isis
Dyoniseean?
09-11-03 07:15 PM
KeepRigid No, I usually sit down to. *rimshot*
09-11-03 08:16 PM
Steel Wheels For those of you who own Goddess, how do you think the new tracks on 40 Licks stack up against it?
09-11-03 08:40 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
For those of you who own Goddess, how do you think the new tracks on 40 Licks stack up against it?

Great point! Whoa!

Don't Stop has a hard time comparing w/ all the songs on GITDW, but in the end, Don't Stop is better than all the songs on GITDW.

But w/ Losing My Touch, Stealing My Heart and Keys To Your Love do not Stand up the the songs on Goddess.

It's getting too hard to analize, just play the fucking tracks.
09-11-03 09:29 PM
Gimme Shelter I still listen to it on occasion, not as much as my Stones cds, but on occasion. It sure is a hell of alot better than all the crap thats on the "charts" now.
09-11-03 09:46 PM
sirfito Yes, I still listen it. And I like it, as I said here many times.
Cheers,
Fito
09-11-03 10:45 PM
Some Guy Ok.. I am gonna find this album, where ever the hell it is. I am gonna dig this up.
09-11-03 11:03 PM
tumbling_dice Yes, I totally agree. With the exception of "Don't Stop", the rest of the new tracks on Forty Licks just don't measure up. Mick's vocals are outstanding on this album (Goddess).
09-11-03 11:04 PM
BILL PERKS I LOVE SOME OF IT:
VISIONS
TOO FAR GONE
GOD GAVE ME
GETTIN HIGH
RULES
DONT CALL ME UP
HATE SOME OF IT:
GUN
JOY
LUCKY DAY
DANCIN IN THE STARLIGHT

I THINK THAT MICK REALLY DOESNT MAKE MUCH OF AN EFFORT ON A LOT OF HIS LYRICS;AND THATS A SHAME-BECAUSE WHEN HE WANTS TO,HE IS BRILLIANT
09-11-03 11:27 PM
StonesChick I listen to this CD all the time. Mick wrote some beautiful music and really opened up. Goddess is my favorite, but I really love the entire album. Too Far Gone sounds like it could have easily been on a Stone's album. The only song I have to turn down a bit is Gun. I'm such an anti gun person and I don't like to hear Mick sounding so mad..lol..but the music to it is great.

Will always have a special place in my heart.

Wandering Spirit is another classic. I'll never tire of that either.

I love the new songs on 40 Licks also. Mick continues to amaze me.
09-11-03 11:42 PM
Some Guy Finally found it. Did a couple of bingers and checked it out. Hate to say but I like Dancing In The Starlight!
09-12-03 01:11 AM
Sir Stonesalot I listened to the thing at a listening station at the CD store. I didn't buy it.

I saw it at a yard sale recently for 50 cents. I still didn't buy it.

No. I don't listen to Goddess. Ever. I don't and won't own it....and I own over 3700 CDs.

I don't want it to give cooties to my other CDs.
09-12-03 01:30 AM
Madafaka Yes, sometimes... The best song in that cd is "If Things Could Be Different"
That is a bonus track on the japanese edition.
EXCELLENT!
09-12-03 01:39 AM
palacerevolution Yeah man, I love that disc. Jagger is great when he gets sappy. At least he speaks from the heart then. He puts a lot of effort into his soloalbums and "Spirit" and "Goddess" IMO are excellent. (The first two were an embarrassment and the lowest point in Stones history). The weakest tunes to me are the ones when he tries to get "stonesy". Like "Wired All Night", "Put Me In The Trash", "Everbody getting High" etc. My guilty pleasure on "Goddess" is "Dancing In The Starlight". Love the production there. The Chi Lites BU vox. And I dig "Gun". Jagger is getting better at copping some of the current trends like Ravegrooves. But "Hideaway" is dreadful. Makes me want to wear a Panamahat and look for Jimmy Buffett.
09-12-03 04:50 AM
Zack My wife likes it a lot so I play it to appease her. I think Mick has never been able to live down "Let's Work," which is a shame because he kind of shows a side he keeps hidden with his Stones work. As with the Lennon and Macca solo stuff, it lacks discipline without a strong critical eye next to it.

It still pales next to Talk is Cheap though, the best Stones product of the 80s (not counting Tattoo You).
09-12-03 06:35 AM
keith_tif I still listen this album my favoutite song is DANCING IN THE STARLIGHT the 3rd.
09-12-03 07:03 AM
Jumacfly nobody mentionned "Blue", a great song by Mick, but not released on goddess...
i dont listen goddess as often as Wandering spirit, IMO one of the highlight of mick career...
09-12-03 07:29 AM
Maxlugar I really like Goddess.

This is Mick doing therapy in the studio and I really feel for him. This is an incredibly personal album.

It is my opinion that God Gave Me Everything, blows away all the new tracks on Licks. Yoo have to go back to Voodoo Lounge to find a better stones song (Love is Strong)

Think I'll play it tonight.

09-12-03 08:19 AM
corgi37 I have never bought it, i have heard most of it, and thats why i have never bought it. The bastard should have done a Stones record instead. It this cd sold more than the 2,000 copies it turned over, dont think for a minute Jagger would have done a Stones tour. Every one connected with it expected big things. Shit, the advertising budget for this must have exceeded all Stones album releases put together, and it absolutely bombed. I liked the 1st single, but would have liked it more if Keith was on the lead axe and Charlie was on the skins. If GOddess went to number 1 and sold 10 million, Jagger would have done a solo tour with his usual "Stones Clones" band and would have said "The Stones are a fucking millstone around my neck" (again). P.S. Another reason i would not allow it in my house is cause Bono is on it. 1 track, sure, thats enough to send killer "fuckwit" bugs to my other cd's. I dont want Paul Hewson sneaking onto "Riders on the storm" or maybe carrying a white flag on my Neil Young vids, or trying to save pregnant whales during Tommy, or skipping over to the Cult or Van Halen and ruining my 80's hey day flash backs. No, never will Goddess pass my threshold. Which reminds me, i'd better replace that clove of garlic near the door.
09-12-03 08:53 AM
Sir Stonesalot Yup corgi. CD cooties.

Bad for your music collection's health.
09-12-03 09:26 AM
Factory Girl No. I don't hate it, however. I just don't care.

09-12-03 09:35 AM
Joey " I don't want it to give cooties to my other CDs. "

You make Joey sniggle .

Come to Joey ...........................

Jercee

09-12-03 10:02 AM
Sir Stonesalot Joey...you wouldn't sniggle if you knew how hard it is to decootify 3700 CDs & CDRs.

It's a bitch.
09-12-03 10:10 AM
Joey Joey...you wouldn't sniggle if you knew how hard it is to decootify 3700 CDs & CDRs.

It's a bitch. "

Stoney ................................I just want to say ONE THING :

You got " Game " today Brother .

Too bad your " Nittany Lions " ain't gonna have " Game " tomorrow .

{{ CA - RACK }}

Home Run Ronnie !

Jercee

09-12-03 10:12 AM
Factory Girl Sir Stonesy, where and how do you store your goodies? Do you have a special room with a wall system???
Page: 1 2